Bush
    Integrated Amp
     Realistic
    Speakers
     Tandy
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Fergie,

You could by a AT95E for around 30 to get started whilst your researching a cart that you'd like to stick with long term.

I ran one on my RP3 for a while and it is bloody good value for mone,y and would possibly give some more expensive carts a run for their money.

Avoid the Linn K9 (or was it the K5?). Grey, grey cartridge with nothing, and I repeat, nothing to make anyone want to play vinyl!
    Spock will form the ultimate coalition...

Wammer
    Turn Table
     LP12 Tramp 2
    T/Arm & Cart
     Ittok Dynavector 20x
    SUT/Phono
     Naim Stageline S
    Digital Source 1
     Nas
    Digital Source 2
     PS3
    Speakers
     Naim SBL
    Pre Amp
     NAIM NAC 172XS
    Power Amp
     NAIM NAP200
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    I have used rega's with the goldring favourite and rega own carts, I much prefer rega's own cart's besides being designed to match their decks and arms and you don't need to worry about VTA and I like the three point fixing on the elys and above.Good value too and a fixed stylus as per a MC cart.

Fergie
    Quote Originally Posted by amazement View Post
    I have used rega's with the goldring favourite and rega own carts, I much prefer rega's own cart's besides being designed to match their decks and arms and you don't need to worry about VTA and I like the three point fixing on the elys and above.Good value too and a fixed stylus as per a MC cart.
    I would rather avoid a cartridge with a fixed stylus 'cos if an accident happens with the stylus it can be quite a bit cheaper to replace. Thanks for your other suggestion.

Real Name
     peter
    Turn Table
     Dual 504
    T/Arm & Cart
     AT440MLa
    Digital Source 1
     Digitally Tubed
    DAC
     Tube DAC (DIY)
    Integrated Amp
     A&R Alpha
    Speakers
     Audioplan Kontrast
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Fergie,

Did you get my pm?

Real Name
     Kevin
    Turn Table
     Kuzma Stabi S
    T/Arm & Cart
     Stogi, AN Io
    SUT/Phono
     Audio Note S6c
    Digital Source 1
     Rega Saturn
    Digital Source 2
     SBT
    DAC
     Rega
    Speakers
     LV OBX-R2
    Pre Amp
     Audio Note M3
    Power Amp
     CocoSan 300B PP Mono
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Quote Originally Posted by Fergie View Post
    Thanks for all the various recommendations and suggestions - it's given me food for further thought as to what may be the best way to go. Initially I don't want to have to spend more money to buy a phono stage for a MC cartridge and would rather leave that as an upgrade option, as and when possible.

Many thanks.

Fergie
    Fergie, I don't know much about the Linn Exotik but if yours has the MM/MC optional phono stage then you will be fine and certainly won't need to buy an external phonostage.

I would also recommend the Goldring 1042
    "We could have saved the Earth but we were too damned cheap" Kurt Vonnegut

Banned
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    The Goldring 2500 matches Rega arms well, as does the DL110 and any number of Grados. There's also the AT95E at around the 20€ mark from william thakker.

You can get a new Rega P2-24 for 299 from Moorgate Acoustics on ebay or from their shop. Discontinued, so prices have dropped.
    Last edited by Phillybuster; 25-02-2012 at 07:31 AM.

Real Name
     Martin
    Turn Table
     Technics SL1210 M5G
    T/Arm & Cart
     A.Note / BA Mantis
    Digital Source 1
     SB Touch
    Digital Source 2
     Meridian 507
    DAC
     dCS Purcell + Elgar
    Integrated Amp
     Devialet 200
    Speakers
     Usher Dancer Mini-2
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    My favorite cart on the P3 was the Goldring 2500.
    I prefered it to the GR-1042 and Dynavector DV10x5.

On a P3-24 with the outboard PSU it's a rig you could easily live with for a relatively modest investment.
    The truth may be out there, but the lies are inside your head.

Real Name
     Jim
    Turn Table
     Rega P3
    Digital Source 1
     Meridian 506.20
    Integrated Amp
     Sugden A21a
    Speakers
     Totem Arros
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    I have a P3 (2000 version) with Goldring 1012 and am very satisfied with it. I previously used a Rega Super Elys. I much prefer the Goldring.

There's little to go wrong with Rega TTs and as has been mentioned earlier, there are loads available on the 2nd hand market.

Jim

Wammer
    Real Name
     as above
    Turn Table
     Rega RP6
    T/Arm & Cart
     Rega RB303/DV20X2L
    SUT/Phono
     Rega Aria
    Digital Source 1
     Naim CD5XS/FlatcapXS
    Digital Source 2
     Naim ND5XS
    DAC
     as above
    Integrated Amp
     Supernait 2
    Speakers
     Dyn Contour 1.8ii
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Dynavector DV10x5 woerks brilliantly on my P3-24. However at the Bristol show yesterday I heard two RP3s, including one with Elys which sounded superb !

Fergie
    Tel, many thanks for your comments and recommendation. My Exotik doesn't have the optional phono stage and I use an external one. Your comment made me think and I checked and found out that my phono stage has the option to switch between MM and MC. Dohhhhhh........

Real Name
     Chris
    Turn Table
     Gyro SE Oyaide MJ-12
    T/Arm & Cart
     Jelco750 AT33EV/PTG2
    SUT/Phono
     Icon Audio ps 1.2
    Digital Source 1
     C.A. SM6/Alva NF
    Digital Source 2
     Oppo BDP103D/dab500
    DAC
     C.A. SM6 + 5 more
    Integrated Amp
     Schiit Lyr2
    Speakers
     X.T.Z. 99.36piano ii
    Pre Amp
     M.F. A1 fbp
    Power Amp
     XTZ AP100
    Headphones
     AKG Q701, ADH700X
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Cool

Hi Fergie,

It may also be worth adding the Audio Technica AT F3 mk.iii to the list, I can attest that it works well on a Planar 3, I set one up for my mate Jen on hers , it replaced a Sumiko Blue point Special evo. & she loves it to bits (runs it through my old project tubebox S.E.) & much prefers it to the Sumiko. It responds well to close & careful set up & on the P3 v.t.a is v. close to being right,maybe slightly tail down, with the felt platter mat on & no spacers, whereas the Sumiko was considerably taller & required the mat removing to even get close to correct v.t.a.

I also have one myself & currently on my technoarm/Gyro & really like it , esp. considering its price. whilst its bettered usefully by the oc9, between it & the rondo red its much closer & on balance I prefer the F3. I also have Goldring 1022gx/1042 as yardsticks having owned both, & both these were easily bettered by the F3 in my own system.

Re. my preference of it over the rondo red, the red is perhaps more correct sounding,the f3 more exciting & has more detail/immediacy/presence. I guess it may depend too on how able your phono stage is to exploit this cart (matching well etc.) & other speaker/system matching issues. For example if your system is a little ragged in the upper registers or the treble a little too "zingy" already then this cart may not suit. However I can definitely report that this cart definitely responds more than some to a little careful v.t.a. "tweakery" it definitely seems to prefer slightly "negative"(tail down) & in fact last time I set it up I tried it tail up & it sounded really horrible & obviously wrong , being rather searing & offensive.

I bought three last year (2 for my mate) for 160 ea. from Ian Harrison & currently they are 175/190 from hi-fi shops, but likely still cheaper from I.H. Considering the replacement styli costs for the Goldring carts I believe the F3 to be v.g.f.m..

B.R.

vacdac (Chris).
    Gyro, Jelly750d, Oyaide MJ-12, AT33EV/OC9ml ii/F3iii, Rondo Red carts, Icon audio PS 1.2 phono, C.A. Stream Magic 6, Oppo BDP,(Synology DS213/Acer timeline X lappy. Alva Nanoface) M.F. A1fbp/Schiit Lyr2 pre's, XTZ ap100 power, XTZ99.36 speaks, x-can v8, AKG Q701

Real Name
     Warren
    Turn Table
     RP6/TTPUSmk2/GR2500
    Digital Source 1
     Mac Mini/AP2/RegaDAC
    Integrated Amp
     Brio-R
    Speakers
     RS3
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    I recommend you push the boat out and get a really nice MM. You won't regret it in the long run.

I have a Goldring 2500 on my P3 24. Its sounds really sweet.

Fergie
    After all the wide variety of the different recommendations here and delving into google for reviews of what would get me going for a start I have ordered a Audio Technica AT 440 MLa which is highly regarded. Let's see how I get on once it is up and running. I can always change if it doesn't come up to expectations. Thank you all for your kind input.

Cheers

Fergie

Fergie
    Well I finally have the cartridge set up and playing and I am a happy bunny. It is really revealing a lot of previously unheard details in the music, sounds great with different kinds of music and the soundstage is marvellous in width and depth. I think it must be one of my best hifi buys!

Everything is awesome.... freefallrob's Avatar
    Turn Table
     SL1200MK2
    T/Arm & Cart
     RB301
    Digital Source 1
     Philips CD850
    Speakers
     Castle Durham
    Pre Amp
     Rotel RA-04
    Power Amp
     Denon UPO-99
    Headphones
     Sennheiser
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    The Goldring 1012GX is very good in the Rega arm, we'll be running one at the Scalford show this Sunday.

EDIT : just read the last post, 440's are nice too