Lumley Reference
    Power Amp
     Pioneer M-10X
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

This kind of follows on from PAGs posting last night - slow, that's me

Firstly, a big thanks to Si and family for putting up with me in the middle of a bank holiday weekend - bringing a few tunes was the least I could offer in return, mate !

Thanks for your time and sharing the knowledge .

As you the reader may be aware, I recently acquired a Tube Technology Unisis valve amp via the dreaded flea-bay. Whilst sounding very tasty, overall sound was really very dark, with bass seeming quite excessive as I got it settled in and got over the initial 'glow' - definite signs of bass bloom, to the extent that I needed to swap speakers from my Castle Conway IIs to my less bass-heavy Rega Jura's. Next step included 'socking' the ports to bring listening to acceptable bass levels in my little room.

Then early last week, one valve had a little hissy fit, went purple and started to get stinky . Needless to say, off switch operated very quickly - fortunately I was only a foot away at the time.

I had already decided a new set of valves was called for. So, last week the full complement arrived - 8 x EL84s, 4 x 12AX7's and 2 x 5751's. Replacement across the board was with Electro-Harmonix valves (big up to Tube Town Germany - super prompt and very good pricing at c.£60 for EL84s + 12AX7s - 5751gold E-Hs coming off e-bay very promply as well ).

As this amp requires biasing of the EL84s (in pairs) from underneath , I felt a bit intimidated so opted for asking PAG as a previous owner of this amp to lend a hand (literally). Must admit it is a bit scary seeing the amp powered up whilst standing on its side and having to have hands in where you know 500V is running around . I am very glad I opted for help on this - bravura is all well and good, however I am pretty sure I would have bollixed things doing this on my own with only the manual to guide me .

So, what we dicovered - the valves in place were well past their best and biasing was somewhat low!!! [Standard setting for this amp is -17V - biasing was found to be -13.6V iirc].

In went the new valves without hesitation and biasing reset to -15V, to allow for burn-in and settling - apparently should see the bias settle at/near -17V after the 20 hour run-in.

What a difference!

Bass bloom gone! Sound tightened up overall and much crisper than previously. Appreciating that this was all through PAGs (unfamiliar to me) very tasty Audio Physics.

As a base comparison, also ran Si's own TT Unisis Mk2 - sound patently similar although his tubes were obviously settled in with bass in place.

Right, well made up with the improvement, but really felt the full test would be in situ in my own system (couldn't wait to test at home).

After a very pleasant visit with a very hospitable family, back on the road to check at home.

First up the Rega Jura's.
    YES! Improvement remains improvement

Sound is crisper and cleaner than before. Bass definitely reduced tremendously, in fact I would say it is in reality a bass-light sound at the moment. So first thing, out came the smelly old socks :lmao:. The difference in sound quality after switching valves is truly apparent. Given that there is a burn-in period of some 20 hours here during which time the bass will improve, I am guite happy to let it bed in with time.

Next up, putting the Conway's in circuit and seeing what's what. I will post an update for those interested (if any.......)

I suppose another possibility in due course is one I would never previously have considered...small tweaks in bais setting to change sound (although that is not something I will be rushing into :gag

Thanks once again to Si and family for a pleasant day - it even made braving those rainy motorways worthwhile :lmao:

Kevin

A flea in the ear is worth two in the bush

Sarchasm - the gulf between what is said and the person who doesn't get it.

official miserabilist auralflea's Avatar
    Real Name
     Kevin
    Turn Table
     Pioneer PL71-resting
    T/Arm & Cart
     Lenco 75/Basik LVV
    SUT/Phono
     TT2: Sony PS-FL77
    Digital Source 1
     Marantz CD63 KI
    Digital Source 2
     PC
    DAC
     UCA-202
    Integrated Amp
     still in surgery
    Speakers
     DeccaVolts
    Pre Amp
     Lumley Reference
    Power Amp
     Pioneer M-10X
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

Just noticed my spelling mistake in the title

Maybe I'm dislexic? Or just a twat maybe ;)

Wammer

Post imported post

Very interesting read, love all the emotions:gag:

Stranger
    Real Name
     si
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

Glad to hear it matey!

I think the biggest difference was substituting new tubes for the old ones, they where a tad tired, also, the bias was out which didn`t help. The Unisis is sensitive to correct bias, and the volt will settle to around -17v after the tubes have settled down. You`re ok with -18 to -15 anyway for it to be spot on, so i don`t think you will need to fiddle too much, just give it a check now and again between settlement.

Looks brand new now after the polish too, the previous owner certainly looked after it!
    Foo Foo Manchu.

Real Name
     Kevin
    Turn Table
     Pioneer PL71-resting
    T/Arm & Cart
     Lenco 75/Basik LVV
    SUT/Phono
    Digital Source 1
     Marantz CD63 KI
    Digital Source 2
     PC
    DAC
     UCA-202
    Integrated Amp
     still in surgery
    Speakers
     DeccaVolts
    Pre Amp
     Lumley Reference
    Power Amp
     Pioneer M-10X
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

PAG wrote:
    Glad to hear it matey!

I think the biggest difference was substituting new tubes for the old ones, they where a tad tired, also, the bias was out which didn`t help. The Unisis is sensitive to correct bias, and the volt will settle to around -17v after the tubes have settled down. You`re ok with -18 to -15 anyway for it to be spot on, so i don`t think you will need to fiddle too much, just give it a check now and again between settlement.

Looks brand new now after the polish too, the previous owner certainly looked after it!
    Oops, forgot about the bonus amp polishing facility offered in my visit, knobs and all :lmao:. Yeah, you're right about this being a looked after amp. I certainly scored it lucky. After that polish and my previous rather perfunctory wipe down, it still looks brand new! Think I will post a piccy later today to show off your hard work

That and the excellent bacon butties

Ta for the help and advice.

Real Name
     Kevin
    Turn Table
     Pioneer PL71-resting
    T/Arm & Cart
     Lenco 75/Basik LVV
    SUT/Phono
    Digital Source 1
     Marantz CD63 KI
    Digital Source 2
     PC
    DAC
     UCA-202
    Integrated Amp
     still in surgery
    Speakers
     DeccaVolts
    Pre Amp
     Lumley Reference
    Power Amp
     Pioneer M-10X
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

audioboy wrote:
    Without them, you'd be forced to read what I actually wrote......(Oi loikes a bit of colour, me)

Edited to add:

Given My off-beat (and often misguided) sense of humour as well as the potential for misunderstanding here of even the most paltry comments - as evidenced on innumerable occasions - I would rather telegraph my punches tbh.

Kevin

Wammer

Post imported post

Aural Flea wrote:
    audioboy wrote:
    Without them, you'd be forced to read what I actually wrote......(Oi loikes a bit of colour, me)

Kevin
    I know, thats why i said i loved them

Super Wammer
    Real Name
     Steve
    Turn Table
    Digital Source 1
     Audiolab 8200CD
    Integrated Amp
     Trafomatic elegance
    Speakers
     Living Voice OBX
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

very intersting chaps i think i may have to come to visit you in the very nearfuture Si..i'd like to change my valves just for confidence of knowing they are right. so what were these valves then Kevin? 50 quid sounds very appealing to my pocket

Wammer
    Real Name
     Antony
    Turn Table
     Nottingham Analogue
    T/Arm & Cart
     Hadcock/Audionote
    SUT/Phono
     Audionote
    Digital Source 1
     Teac
    Integrated Amp
     Mastersound
    Speakers
     Living Voice
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

If one starting stinking it was definitely over due

Real Name
     Kevin
    Turn Table
     Pioneer PL71-resting
    T/Arm & Cart
     Lenco 75/Basik LVV
    SUT/Phono
    Digital Source 1
     Marantz CD63 KI
    Digital Source 2
     PC
    DAC
     UCA-202
    Integrated Amp
     still in surgery
    Speakers
     DeccaVolts
    Pre Amp
     Lumley Reference
    Power Amp
     Pioneer M-10X
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

Aural Flea wrote:
    I had already decided a new set of valves was called for. So, last week the full complement arrived - 8 x EL84s, 4 x 12AX7's and 2 x 5751's. Replacement across the board was with Electro-Harmonix valves (big up to Tube Town Germany - super prompt and very good pricing at c.£60 for EL84s + 12AX7s - 5751gold E-Hs coming off e-bay very promply as well ).
    Just looking at the bits we took out - the 5751s actually replaced 12AT7WA's. I wonder how much difference that makes to the overall sound??? Have looked at the table of specifications for each on TDSL - there is a difference but I cannot interpret what it is - any takers for an explanation?

Bourney - I bought electro-harmonix throughout m8.

8 x EL84 and 4 x 12AX7 from www.tube-town.de cost Euro 114.50 incl p&p 14.50 (about £75).

2 x 5751 (electro-harmonix gold) bought via e-Bay for just under £20 incl p&p.

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

Glad it all worked out... I seemed to have read somewhere that 12AT7s were dark sounding... best to stick to the 5751s.

JJ