Digital Source 1
     Quad CDP2
    Integrated Amp
     Lyng2175,RP1,ARCLS17
    Speakers
     Monitor Audio PL300
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Were ther any modified SL1200 decks at Scalford?

Hi there

Unfortunately I missed the wonderful event. Could anybody tell me whether there were any well modified Technics 1210/1200 decks at Scalford and if so how did they fare?

Thanks

In the trade Wammer Purite Audio's Avatar
    Real Name
     Keith
    Turn Table
     GPA Monaco
    T/Arm & Cart
     Triplanar 12"
    SUT/Phono
     Dyna XV1-S XV1-T
    Digital Source 1
     Weiss MAN 301
    Digital Source 2
     MAN301 M2TechVaughan
    DAC
     Weiss Medea Plus
    Integrated Amp
     David Wright Bakoon
    Speakers
     Cessaro ,Grimm T&F
    Pre Amp
     Trinity Audio SPEC
    Power Amp
     David Wright Bespoke
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     Yes
    I am
    pretty sure Marco from AOS had his heavily modified 1200, 'gromit' Richard was using his technics too I believe, I don't think anyone was running standard to modified side by side comparisons.
    Keith.
    Last edited by Purite Audio; 16-03-2012 at 10:27 AM.

I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best.

Wammer
    Turn Table
     SL1210,Whest PS30RDT
    Digital Source 1
     Quad CDP2
    Integrated Amp
     Lyng2175,RP1,ARCLS17
    Speakers
     Monitor Audio PL300
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Quote Originally Posted by Purite Audio View Post
    I am
    pretty sure Marco from AOS had his heavily modified 1200, 'gromit' Richard was using his technics too I believe, I don't think anyone was running standard to modified side by side comparisons.
    Keith.

Thanks Keith. I was actually wondering how the modified Technics fared in general, not as compared to standard but as compared to other stuff there.

Thanks

Real Name
     Mark
    Turn Table
     Technics SP-10
    T/Arm & Cart
     Stogi S-12/Koetsu R
    SUT/Phono
     AN S1/building it.
    Digital Source 1
     Teac VRDS 10
    Digital Source 2
     Foo mods to vrds.
    DAC
     DSP Antimode
    Speakers
     Zingali Naples
    Pre Amp
     Antimode
    Power Amp
     WAD Kel80's
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    I had a quick listen to one of the 1210's in the Aos room. It had a Dynavector arm on it. Didn't rate the sound much, but it might have been just the speakers not working that well in the room.

Real Name
     Phil
    Turn Table
     Voyd
    T/Arm & Cart
     HR100S, Decca SG DP
    SUT/Phono
     Prototype AI P2
    Digital Source 1
     CEC TL53Z
    Digital Source 2
     Thinkpad and rBlink
    DAC
     AN 1.1 Sig
    Speakers
     LV OBX-R2
    Pre Amp
     AN Jp M7
    Power Amp
     NAF 845 SET
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    I've never understood why anyone would spend a small fortune modifying a 1210. Just buy the superior SP10 and be done with it.
    My Flickr Page: http://www.flickr.com/photos/philnmorgan/

When a man steals your wife, there is no better revenge than to let him keep her. (David Bissonette)

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    I think they compare very well to other turntables, but only after quite alot of money has been spent on mods. PSU's, bearings & platters don't come cheap & after you've spent all that cash I'm not so sure they are any better than a well fettled SP10 that will probably cost less in the long run!

I know the modded 1210 owners believe once fully modded they sound better than an SP10, but that's after they've thrown 2-3K at them. Vantage Audio do a cheaper range of mods though & the mods can be done as & when the cash is available.
    Denon DP-6000/FR64s/Ortofon SPU Royal GM/Shelter 901/Auditorium 23 SUT/Pure Sound P10/SB Touch/Audio Note CDT/M2Tech Young DAC/BL Audio LP-1/New Audio Frontiers KT66 Legend/Living Voice OBX.
    My flickr & Portfolio

Super Wammer
    Real Name
     fraser
    Digital Source 1
     onkyo crn755
    Digital Source 2
     Panasonic bdt500
    Speakers
     event opals
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    I don't really get it either. I've owned a few techni and they are good even as stock. Wouldn't spend a lot of money on it though.

Reminds me a bit of boys doing up their corsas with z20lets etc. Just buy a decent car ffs!!

Real Name
     Mark
    Turn Table
     Technics SP-10
    T/Arm & Cart
     Stogi S-12/Koetsu R
    SUT/Phono
     AN S1/building it.
    Digital Source 1
     Teac VRDS 10
    Digital Source 2
     Foo mods to vrds.
    DAC
     DSP Antimode
    Speakers
     Zingali Naples
    Pre Amp
     Antimode
    Power Amp
     WAD Kel80's
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa Lazarou View Post
    I've never understood why anyone would spend a small fortune modifying a 1210. Just buy the superior SP10 and be done with it.
    That's what I did. Moved the 1210 on after a month. 1210's are alright, but I wouldn't spend the money that some people have on them. By the time you've replaced everything 'cept the motor and pcb you're quite a few grand out of pocket. And you've still got summat that looks shit (imho).

Real Name
     Phil
    Turn Table
     Voyd
    T/Arm & Cart
     HR100S, Decca SG DP
    SUT/Phono
     Prototype AI P2
    Digital Source 1
     CEC TL53Z
    Digital Source 2
     Thinkpad and rBlink
    DAC
     AN 1.1 Sig
    Speakers
     LV OBX-R2
    Pre Amp
     AN Jp M7
    Power Amp
     NAF 845 SET
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    I compared the Voyd to a modified SL1210 with Origin Live arm etc at Lefty's house a year ago. Not even close.
    My Flickr Page: http://www.flickr.com/photos/philnmorgan/

When a man steals your wife, there is no better revenge than to let him keep her. (David Bissonette)

Real Name
     Mike
    Turn Table
     Thorens TD125 MkII
    T/Arm & Cart
     SME3009 / SPU
    Digital Source 1
     SBT
    Digital Source 2
     Doge 6
    DAC
     modded Beresford
    Integrated Amp
     Jolida Hybrid
    Speakers
     Ditton 44s
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Nice enough decks as standard.

Spend about 70 - 80 quid doing the obvious (feet, mat), add a half decent cart and you've now got a fair bit nicer deck.

Beyond that, move out of the entry level deck market IMHO.
    Come on you raver, you seer of visions,
    come on you painter, you piper, you prisoner, and shine!

Wammer
    Real Name
     Griffo
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Modified SL1200/1210. the hifi equivalent of Trigger's broom.

Wammer
    Turn Table
     SL1210,Whest PS30RDT
    Digital Source 1
     Quad CDP2
    Integrated Amp
     Lyng2175,RP1,ARCLS17
    Speakers
     Monitor Audio PL300
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Some interesting comments. I think the issue with the SP10 is that are they obviously a lot rarer than the sl and so more difficult/expensive to source and require a lot more work to get the many neglected ones back up and running.

I think the fascination (for me anyway) comes from the fact that these decks are intimately intertwined with the sort of music I listen to ie dance/hip hop etc. I wonder if when you've compared a modified deck to others and felt they fell sort you've listened with other kind of music. Whenever I've been at a show and heard turntables being played ie Michell etc its always stuff like jazz, or a single person crooning with a strumming guitar in the background ie never beat driven music. May be that is just coincidental?

The other attraction to me is that it is so sturdy and doesn't need you to get a tool box out to change the speed.

The mods are not as expensive as you think. The main mods are PSU and bearing.Depending on who you buy these from it could cost as little as 500. The other stuff like arm, cart etc you would have had to buy for most other decks anyway.

As for it looking ugly, that is subjective, I don't think it looks ugly at all.

Many reviews (for what they are worth) have remarked favourably on the performance of modded sl decks

Real Name
     Usually guilty
    Turn Table
     Garrard 301
    T/Arm & Cart
     SME M2-12
    SUT/Phono
     Hashimoto/SJS phono
    Digital Source 1
    Digital Source 2
     Nag MP500
    DAC
     supex d900 mkII
    Integrated Amp
     N.A.F. 300b Supreme
    Speakers
     CoCo's fave KEFs
    Pre Amp
     SJS 1.5 Special
    Power Amp
     Airtight 211 MBs
    Headphones
     Dr Dre da Beats
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     Yes
    Quote Originally Posted by alfie2902 View Post
    I think they compare very well to other turntables, but only after quite alot of money has been spent on mods. PSU's, bearings & platters don't come cheap & after you've spent all that cash I'm not so sure they are any better than a well fettled SP10 that will probably cost less in the long run!

I know the modded 1210 owners believe once fully modded they sound better than an SP10, but that's after they've thrown 2-3K at them. Vantage Audio do a cheaper range of mods though & the mods can be done as & when the cash is available.
    Keep quiet about the you know what deck....we will let all the Techie owners carry on in blissful ignorance

Wammer
    Real Name
     Griffo
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Quote Originally Posted by indus View Post
    Some interesting comments. I think the issue with the SP10 is that are they obviously a lot rarer than the sl and so more difficult/expensive to source and require a lot more work to get the many neglected ones back up and running.

I think the fascination (for me anyway) comes from the fact that these decks are intimately intertwined with the sort of music I listen to ie dance/hip hop etc. I wonder if when you've compared a modified deck to others and felt they fell sort you've listened with other kind of music. Whenever I've been at a show and heard turntables being played ie Michell etc its always stuff like jazz, or a single person crooning with a strumming guitar in the background ie never beat driven music. May be that is just coincidental?

The other attraction to me is that it is so sturdy and doesn't need you to get a tool box out to change the speed.

The mods are not as expensive as you think. The main mods are PSU and bearing.Depending on who you buy these from it could cost as little as 500. The other stuff like arm, cart etc you would have had to buy for most other decks anyway.

As for it looking ugly, that is subjective, I don't think it looks ugly at all.

Many reviews (for what they are worth) have remarked favourably on the performance of modded sl decks
    Well let's put it this way.

The SL1200/1210 was the deck of choice of any self-respecting DJ pumping out tunes a silly decibels in clubs with a shed load of people dancing their arses off. And yet at home they need to have new feet, new mat, new PSU, new bearings, etc to make music at normal acceptable household volume levels. audiophile bollocks. As others have said the deck itself is good enough, just slap a half decent MM cart on it and enjoy it.

As for Michell. I've got an Orbe. I've got James Lavelle, Unkle, Luarent Gaurnier, Photek, Meat Beat Manifesto, Asian Dub Foundation and other stuff that's even noisier and more extreme and I love the deck.

It also costs as much to buy new as it does to piss about modding the deck in question. Other decks are just as good as well, and in some cases better, and it's not the only option out there.
    Last edited by griffo104; 16-03-2012 at 02:19 PM.

Real Name
     Chris
    Turn Table
     Gyro SE Oyaide MJ-12
    T/Arm & Cart
     Jelco750 AT33EV/PTG2
    SUT/Phono
     Icon Audio ps 1.2
    Digital Source 1
     C.A. SM6/Alva NF
    Digital Source 2
     Oppo BDP103D/dab500
    DAC
     C.A. SM6 + 5 more
    Integrated Amp
     Schiit Lyr2
    Speakers
     X.T.Z. 99.36piano ii
    Pre Amp
     M.F. A1 fbp
    Power Amp
     XTZ AP100
    Headphones
     AKG Q701
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Hi Indus,

You do realize of course, if going for a 1200/1210, you'll deffo need a speaker upgrade too, you'll be requiring some loverly "Red Rimmed"(meh!) Cerwin Vega jobbies as endorsed by our resident sage Chumpy.

vacdac.
    Gyro, Jelly750d, Oyaide MJ-12, AT33EV/OC9ml ii/F3iii, Rondo Red carts, Icon audio PS 1.2 phono, C.A. Stream Magic 6, TEAC cd,(Synology DS213/Acer timeline X lappy. Alva Nanoface) M.F. A1fbp pre XTZ ap100 power, XTZ99.36 speaks, x-can v8 & x10v3, AKG 272hd

Everything is awesome.... freefallrob's Avatar
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    The standard SL1210mk2 is a solid record player/turntable out of the box, stick an Audio technica AT120e or Ortofon 2M BLUE on it, set it up well and enjoy. You can faff with it, but diminishing returns kick in pretty early in my view. A RB300/1 is a sound improvement in my opinion over the standard arm but YMMV, and of course you loose some of the 'useability' of the original. A felt mat on top of the rubber one works well, as does a nice set of litz headshell leads (standard arm). Make sure the rubber part of the feet is not touching the rubber base, this livens it up a bit.
    Last edited by freefallrob; 16-03-2012 at 04:28 PM.

Wammer
    Turn Table
     SL1210,Whest PS30RDT
    Digital Source 1
     Quad CDP2
    Integrated Amp
     Lyng2175,RP1,ARCLS17
    Speakers
     Monitor Audio PL300
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Quote Originally Posted by griffo104 View Post
    Well let's put it this way.

The SL1200/1210 was the deck of choice of any self-respecting DJ pumping out tunes a silly decibels in clubs with a shed load of people dancing their arses off. And yet at home they need to have new feet, new mat, new PSU, new bearings, etc to make music at normal acceptable household volume levels. audiophile bollocks. As others have said the deck itself is good enough, just slap a half decent MM cart on it and enjoy it.

As for Michell. I've got an Orbe. I've got James Lavelle, Unkle, Luarent Gaurnier, Photek, Meat Beat Manifesto, Asian Dub Foundation and other stuff that's even noisier and more extreme and I love the deck.

It also costs as much to buy new as it does to piss about modding the deck in question. Other decks are just as good as well, and in some cases better, and it's not the only option out there.

Not sure if it is audiphile bollocks (but will let you know once I start using it!) in that just because its good at pumping out music in a club doesn't mean its soundstage etc can't be improved.

As for the orbe costing the same as 'pissing about' with the Techie, again I'm not sure. The orbe costs about 3k doesn't it? A second hand sl is 250 (though I paid more for mine) and then even for the best PSU and bearing out there it is another 1000. 1250 is not the same as 3k. I'm not saying for a moment that the Orbe wouldn't sound much better, but the costs are not comparable.

Wammer
    Turn Table
     SL1210,Whest PS30RDT
    Digital Source 1
     Quad CDP2
    Integrated Amp
     Lyng2175,RP1,ARCLS17
    Speakers
     Monitor Audio PL300
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by vacdac View Post
    Hi Indus,

You do realize of course, if going for a 1200/1210, you'll deffo need a speaker upgrade too, you'll be requiring some loverly "Red Rimmed"(meh!) Cerwin Vega jobbies as endorsed by our resident sage Chumpy.

vacdac.

Excellent! LOL

Real Name
     Mark
    Turn Table
     Technics SP-10
    T/Arm & Cart
     Stogi S-12/Koetsu R
    SUT/Phono
     AN S1/building it.
    Digital Source 1
     Teac VRDS 10
    Digital Source 2
     Foo mods to vrds.
    DAC
     DSP Antimode
    Speakers
     Zingali Naples
    Pre Amp
     Antimode
    Power Amp
     WAD Kel80's
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Quote Originally Posted by indus View Post
    Not sure if it is audiphile bollocks (but will let you know once I start using it!) in that just because its good at pumping out music in a club doesn't mean its soundstage etc can't be improved.

As for the orbe costing the same as 'pissing about' with the Techie, again I'm not sure. The orbe costs about 3k doesn't it? A second hand sl is 250 (though I paid more for mine) and then even for the best PSU and bearing out there it is another 1000. 1250 is not the same as 3k. I'm not saying for a moment that the Orbe wouldn't sound much better, but the costs are not comparable.
    You can add on to that the cost of some new feet, an arm and a platter as the stock items are pretty poor in comparison to most average decks available today. The stock Orbe Se comes in at around 2.5k. Call it 3k with a Technoarm. I'd be interested to hear a comparison.

Real Name
     Andy
    Turn Table
     Michell Gyrodec SE
    T/Arm & Cart
     SME V DENON DL103
    SUT/Phono
     Jez Arkless Turbo
    Digital Source 1
     TEAC PD-H600
    Integrated Amp
     VA Sensation M451
    Speakers
     Harbeth Compact 7ES2
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    l know which deck l would rather have owned both.
    "She wore! She wore"! Thank god the wait is over