Digital Source 1
     Oppo 95
    Integrated Amp
     Pioneer lx 75
    Speakers
     Von Schweikert
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Preamp, poweramp, SR amp HD audio dillema.

Hi,
    Can anyone help me out on this one?

I have just had an excellent deal on a Roksan Platinum Preamp but have always used my Marantz SR6005 for all my AV needs and have a Marantz UD6006 for blu-rays, CD's, DVD-Audio's and SACD.

This will be my first preamp and I'm a bit clueless on how I can connect this up and still have all my audio options.

I thought i could connect the Roksan to the Marantz SR and use the Marantz as a power amp... but I cant...I can only use the SR amp as a pre.
    I now need to get a power amp to go with the Roksan and will probably get a slimmer Marantz SR to handle the blu-ray HD audio.

Can I loop the Roksan to the Marantz SR and use the pre-out from either to a power amp and will i need to switch from one to the other, or is there some kind of converter / box that i can use?
    I want to keep my HD Audio from my blu-rays and need to keep an HDMI option.

Feel free to shoot me down for not having a clue here but i want to keep my HD Audio but not let the nice new Roksan sit gathering dust.

If your still with me on all this and can help me out I would be grateful.

Super Wammer
    Turn Table
     Slate Lenco GL75
    T/Arm & Cart
     SME 3012/DL103
    SUT/Phono
     T10/WAD Phono 2
    Digital Source 1
     Squeezebox Touch
    DAC
     Abrahamsen V6
    Integrated Amp
     Electrocompaniet 3
    Speakers
     Harbeth M30.1 / K6
    Pre Amp
     Audio-GD NFB-12
    Power Amp
     Quad 306
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Connect the pre-outs of the Marantz to the video-in of the Roksan and set it to fixed gain, this will basically mean that the Roksan will pass through the signal to the power amp. I run a similar setup and it works well, no need for switch boxes and the like!

If you're changing receivers, just be wary as not many of them have pre-outs to allow connection to a preamp.

Wammer
    Real Name
     Eddie
    Turn Table
     In the river!!
    Digital Source 1
     Oppo 95
    Integrated Amp
     Pioneer lx 75
    Speakers
     Von Schweikert
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Thanks Surayne.
    Do you mean connect the pre-outs of the Marantz amp?
    If so..does this mean i can use the Marantz as a power amp?
    I have pre-outs on the Marantz amp but it says in the manual that i can only connect a separate power amp to it?

Super Wammer
    Turn Table
     Slate Lenco GL75
    T/Arm & Cart
     SME 3012/DL103
    SUT/Phono
     T10/WAD Phono 2
    Digital Source 1
     Squeezebox Touch
    DAC
     Abrahamsen V6
    Integrated Amp
     Electrocompaniet 3
    Speakers
     Harbeth M30.1 / K6
    Pre Amp
     Audio-GD NFB-12
    Power Amp
     Quad 306
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    You can't use the receiver as a power amp, unfortunately - you would need pre-ins for that, with a fixed gain. The Marantz has a set of 7.1 channel pre-outs on the back, connect the right and left channels from these to the video input on your Roksan. As the Roksan will be set to fixed gain on that input (make sure it is!), the Marantz will effectively be passing the signal through to the power amp, and you will be able to control the volume from the Marantz as if you were using the inbuilt amplification.

It may all seem like a bit of a faff, but the idea is to integrate 2 systems. For music, you just have the Roksan and power amp on, and they power your speakers. For movies, switch it all on and the receiver decodes and acts as a preamp for the front speakers, with the Roksan doing nothing. The rear and centre speakers (if present) can be powered by the receiver, so you would connect these directly to the Marantz.

Wammer
    Real Name
     Eddie
    Turn Table
     In the river!!
    Digital Source 1
     Oppo 95
    Integrated Amp
     Pioneer lx 75
    Speakers
     Von Schweikert
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    I think i get it...I will be getting the Roksan on Saturday so i will try it out then.

Many Thanks.

Wammer
    Real Name
     Eddie
    Turn Table
     In the river!!
    Digital Source 1
     Oppo 95
    Integrated Amp
     Pioneer lx 75
    Speakers
     Von Schweikert
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Right...connected up the Roksan today...plugged my Arcam tuner and the Marantz UD into the Roksan ...left my HDMI lead in the Marantz SR for my TV audio and left my 5 speakers plug in as well.
    I put a L&R rca in the pre-outs of the Marantz SR and to the video in-put of the Roksan and swithed the toggle switch to (video)
    I don't seem to be getting any sound out of the Roksan but still have normal volume from the Marantz.....I seem to be going wrong here somewhere but I'm not sure where.

Do i need to change any of the settings on the Marantz SR?
    Do i need to disconnect the digital lead from the tuner and just have my L&R rca's from my tuner to the Roksan?
    Do I need to disconnect all the leads out of the amp and just leave my speakers plugged in with just 1 pair of rca's from the pre-outs of the amp and into the (video) of the Roksan?

Sorry if I come across as a pain in the arse but this is my first go at connecting a pre to an sr amp.

Super Wammer
    Turn Table
     Slate Lenco GL75
    T/Arm & Cart
     SME 3012/DL103
    SUT/Phono
     T10/WAD Phono 2
    Digital Source 1
     Squeezebox Touch
    DAC
     Abrahamsen V6
    Integrated Amp
     Electrocompaniet 3
    Speakers
     Harbeth M30.1 / K6
    Pre Amp
     Audio-GD NFB-12
    Power Amp
     Quad 306
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Phil,

All correct apart from the speaker connections - you need to connect the left and right speaker cables to the outputs of the Roksan rather than the Marantz.

Once you've got it all working, remember to run Audyssey on the Marantz again.

Wammer
    Real Name
     Eddie
    Turn Table
     In the river!!
    Digital Source 1
     Oppo 95
    Integrated Amp
     Pioneer lx 75
    Speakers
     Von Schweikert
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    The Roksan doesn't have any speaker connections.

Super Wammer
    Turn Table
     Slate Lenco GL75
    T/Arm & Cart
     SME 3012/DL103
    SUT/Phono
     T10/WAD Phono 2
    Digital Source 1
     Squeezebox Touch
    DAC
     Abrahamsen V6
    Integrated Amp
     Electrocompaniet 3
    Speakers
     Harbeth M30.1 / K6
    Pre Amp
     Audio-GD NFB-12
    Power Amp
     Quad 306
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Sorry Phil, I was under the impression that you had a power amp connected to the Roksan. You can't loop the signal back to the Marantz, the Roksan needs to be connected to a seperate power amp, and the speakers connected to this.

Wammer
    Real Name
     Eddie
    Turn Table
     In the river!!
    Digital Source 1
     Oppo 95
    Integrated Amp
     Pioneer lx 75
    Speakers
     Von Schweikert
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    I looked at the Manual of the Roksan and it does say i can connect it to the pre-outs of a receiver and click the switch under that in-put to (bypass) and run it like that.
    Iv'e tried a combination of switching the switch from (norm) to bypass and from (video) to (line 1) but still no good.

Looks like I have to get rid of the Marantz for the slimmer NR model and connect these 2 to a power amp......should have thought this out before getting a 4k pre-amp.

Thanks for your help.

Super Wammer
    Turn Table
     Slate Lenco GL75
    T/Arm & Cart
     SME 3012/DL103
    SUT/Phono
     T10/WAD Phono 2
    Digital Source 1
     Squeezebox Touch
    DAC
     Abrahamsen V6
    Integrated Amp
     Electrocompaniet 3
    Speakers
     Harbeth M30.1 / K6
    Pre Amp
     Audio-GD NFB-12
    Power Amp
     Quad 306
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Phil, as far as I know the NR line don't have pre-outs so you can't connect another preamp. I'm not entirely sure you understand where the problem is here!

When you are listening to music, the Marantz does not come into play at ALL. It is strictly a 2 channel system, with the front left and right speakers powered by the power amp that needs to be connected to the Roksan.

When you watch a movie, the Marantz acts as a processor and decodes the audio stream over HDMI. It passes the decoded, unamplified signal to the Roksan for the front left and right channels, so these need to be amplified before going to the speakers (hence the need for the power amp). The centre and rear channel signals are amplified internally by the Marantz.

Moving to a different AV receiver will not solve your problem.