Integrated Amp
     marantzpm5004
    Speakers
     tannoy mercury v4
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

thought I was getting somewhere !

Hi all !
    Just a short rundown of my hifi journey so far !
    Started with a bose ! Got bored ,bought a vintage nad 3020a project tt,great ! Then I purchases a set of epos m15 speakers ,was well excited,but alas they got destroyed by ups ! The guy was great and refunded my money,I felt well bad ,but was nobodys fault (except ups) resighned myself to get a new set of cheaper speakers (same price,brand new) bought a set of tannoy v4s ,lovely,but now the Nad is playing up,I have dc voltage at the speaker terminals,plus a buggered mains switch supressor on the on of switch ! Having to put a headphone jack in to protect my speakers !!
    I now have 2 choices,1,get the nad refurbed,about one hundred quid ,this option will cause the wife to go into "I can't believe you bought a shit amp,and now you wanna spend money on it "mode!!! Or,just buy a brand new denon amp ,which also has a built in phono stage , for not much more money ? Thing is,I am worried about the reliability of the nad? Will I be forever spending money on it, its true,iit sounds gorgeuse when running properly,but is it worth the ag ? Help!!!!!!! Lol

Real Name
     John
    Turn Table
     Inspire Vivid LP12
    T/Arm & Cart
     Ittok LVII, Supex
    SUT/Phono
     GSAudio Elevator EXP
    Digital Source 1
     MF NuVista3D JSAudio
    Digital Source 2
     SBT+ Synology DS112+
    Integrated Amp
     MF M3 NuVista
    Speakers
     Celestion A3 Santos
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Keiran - the 3020a is a fine vintage amp, but no way should you spend 100 on it. Fully working it isn't worth anywhere near that.

For that you can get something far better. Remember that even after the repair you haven't got a new amp, just an old one which has been fixed. Something else could go wrong with it, making your investment even more unwise.

I would post a thread in the classifieds, asking for what is on offer from the Wam for 100. You will be pleasantly surprised, methinks.

Current Loudspeaker List now shrinking - Celestion A3, Celestion A1, Celestion Ditton 44, KEF Ref 105.2, KEF Ref 104ab, Yamaha NS1000M, B&W DM7, B&W DM4, B&W DM2a, B&W DM2000, B&W DM14, B&W CM4, Mission 770.

Real Name
     Marc
    Turn Table
     tiz gone
    Digital Source 1
     Benchmark DAC-1
    Integrated Amp
     in my speakers
    Speakers
     PSI A25-M active
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Real Name
     Keiran
    Turn Table
     pro-ject
    Digital Source 1
     marantz 5004
    Integrated Amp
     marantzpm5004
    Speakers
     tannoy mercury v4
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Quote Originally Posted by themadlatvian View Post
    Keiran - the 3020a is a fine vintage amp, but no way should you spend 100 on it. Fully working it isn't worth anywhere near that.

For that you can get something far better. Remember that even after the repair you haven't got a new amp, just an old one which has been fixed. Something else could go wrong with it, making your investment even more unwise.

I would post a thread in the classifieds, asking for what is on offer from the Wam for 100. You will be pleasantly surprised, methinks.

Yeah,I think you are right,thing is I bought the nad of the wam ,my wife rekons I should just buy a new one ! She will never understand the foibles of hifii !! I think iwould be satisfied with a new dennon,I heard it last week when I dem the v4s ? Sounded good ,along with the matching cd player,it got a good review as well , of course its not high end,and I am under no illusions ,but it is a step up from the very dry and soulless bose system,its. So frustrating ! At the moment I am wary of the nad,I don't think it is stable,so I only play vinyle quietly !! Very unlike me ! Any views on dennon ? Build qaulity seems solid ?

Real Name
     John
    Turn Table
     Inspire Vivid LP12
    T/Arm & Cart
     Ittok LVII, Supex
    SUT/Phono
     GSAudio Elevator EXP
    Digital Source 1
     MF NuVista3D JSAudio
    Digital Source 2
     SBT+ Synology DS112+
    Integrated Amp
     MF M3 NuVista
    Speakers
     Celestion A3 Santos
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Denon stuff is ok, so you are unlikely to be wasting your money, but it is a pity that you have been put off buying second hand so early, since you would get so much more for your money.

I don't know what shelled out for your NAD, and I am also sure that the Wammer you bought it from didn't intend it to let you down, but there are still some good offers out there. I'll have a trawl through the threads now and see if there is anything going at the moment.

Current Loudspeaker List now shrinking - Celestion A3, Celestion A1, Celestion Ditton 44, KEF Ref 105.2, KEF Ref 104ab, Yamaha NS1000M, B&W DM7, B&W DM4, B&W DM2a, B&W DM2000, B&W DM14, B&W CM4, Mission 770.

Real Name
     John
    Turn Table
     Inspire Vivid LP12
    T/Arm & Cart
     Ittok LVII, Supex
    SUT/Phono
     GSAudio Elevator EXP
    Digital Source 1
     MF NuVista3D JSAudio
    Digital Source 2
     SBT+ Synology DS112+
    Integrated Amp
     MF M3 NuVista
    Speakers
     Celestion A3 Santos
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Real Name
     Alan
    Turn Table
     RIP
    Digital Source 1
     Braeburn or Bramley?
    DAC
     Best of ....
    Integrated Amp
     Oui
    Speakers
     Gee yes
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Go for the Arcam every time. Obviously not a high end amp but respectable sound. Last a lifetime (well, a long time) too.
    Go placidly amid the noise and the haste and remember what peace there may be in silence.
    Avoid loud and aggressive persons. They are vexations to the spirit.
    Desiderata

Real Name
     Keiran
    Turn Table
     pro-ject
    Digital Source 1
     marantz 5004
    Integrated Amp
     marantzpm5004
    Speakers
     tannoy mercury v4
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Denon stuff is ok, so you are unlikely to be wasting your money, but it is a pity that you have been put off buying second hand so early, since you would get so much more for your money.

I don't know what shelled out for your NAD, and I am also sure that the Wammer you bought it from didn't intend it to let you down, but there are still some good offers out there. I'll have a trawl through the threads now and see if there is anything going at the moment.

Well I paid 65 squid for it plus the delivery,I don't think the guy meant to sell me a duffer either,its just bad luck,I dunno if I will get my dosh back on it,prob not spcially if I admit it has a prob ! I am an honest chap,.

As for secondhand,well,I don't have a problem,I done the deal,it was a bad call,but my misses don't see it like that,she thinks iv been done,no matter what I say,and she will not accept me buying another second hand bit of kit,I love the look of the arcam on the bay,and the sony looks cool as well, but mate,I think I could end up in the divorce courts if I push it !!! I think I will go brand new,its not brill but its a compromise,I am a real listener of music,and prob I will be dissatisfied after a while,but I am also NOT a rich man !! Would love some of the gear on here,but hey ,maybe one day ! Will always be here looking ! Nothing like window shopping !!!

Real Name
     Adrian
    Digital Source 1
     Rega Dac
    Speakers
     Leema Xeros
    Pre Amp
     Rega Cursa 3
    Power Amp
     Rega Exon 3s
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Quote Originally Posted by AlanB View Post
    Go for the Arcam every time. Obviously not a high end amp but respectable sound. Last a lifetime (well, a long time) too.
    And you'll be able to move the arcam on for similar money when you come to upgrade.
    "Eat food, drink liquids, shite in a bog."
    Cloth-Ears

Real Name
     Keiran
    Turn Table
     pro-ject
    Digital Source 1
     marantz 5004
    Integrated Amp
     marantzpm5004
    Speakers
     tannoy mercury v4
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Quote Originally Posted by age136 View Post
    And you'll be able to move the arcam on for similar money when you come to upgrade.
    Yeah,I get what you are saying loud and clear,I know arcam is a good brand
    But I got seriouse "lack of confidence" syndrome from the wife,
    She says if I had a new amp I would have a gaurantie bla bla !!
    I am gettin some bad earhole bashing about this,it was my dec to buy
    The bose ! That was a grand ! Now I don't like the bose,and she is a bit
    Perplexed that I want to buy a system again !! So I think,on reflection
    Its gonna be a dennon ,it will sound ok ,and it will have a gaurantie ! Shame
    But that's how it is chaps ! Anyone heard the denon ?

Real Name
     John
    Turn Table
     Inspire Vivid LP12
    T/Arm & Cart
     Ittok LVII, Supex
    SUT/Phono
     GSAudio Elevator EXP
    Digital Source 1
     MF NuVista3D JSAudio
    Digital Source 2
     SBT+ Synology DS112+
    Integrated Amp
     MF M3 NuVista
    Speakers
     Celestion A3 Santos
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Keiran - sorry, but this is the first thing I should have said to you - disconnect your speakers from the NAD immediately. Your description of it's faults could very easily lead to irreparable speaker damage - use of the headphone socket does not guarantee any proper protection for your speakers. Your domestic situation could take a further turn for the worse should your new speaks get fried!

Real Name
     Keiran
    Turn Table
     pro-ject
    Digital Source 1
     marantz 5004
    Integrated Amp
     marantzpm5004
    Speakers
     tannoy mercury v4
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Keiran - sorry, but this is the first thing I should have said to you - disconnect your speakers from the NAD immediately. Your description of it's faults could very easily lead to irreparable speaker damage - use of the headphone socket does not guarantee any proper protection for your speakers. Your domestic situation could take a further turn for the worse should your new speaks get fried!

Oh bugger ! Its been some ride mate ,I went all the way over to bethnall green to buya cd player ,that was rubbish as well ! It plays fine for an hor or so,then I get bad digital distortion ! Seems the dac has had it !!!! So its back to the bose for a while ! Oh well it seems I have lucked out ! Woe is me !!!!! Still I have a nice atacama rack and a lovely project turntable ! I will disconnect the speakers imediately ,cheers for the heads up mate !

Real Name
     colin
    Turn Table
     Rega P9
    T/Arm & Cart
     RB 1000 Apheta
    SUT/Phono
     ios
    Digital Source 1
     saturn
    Digital Source 2
     squeeze box touch
    Speakers
     spen A6
    Pre Amp
     Rega Cursa
    Power Amp
     Rega Exon
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    I have used a few bits of denon over the years, mainly in a office system. Its good for the money, and usually reliable. Have a look and see if any local Rega dealers have the old brio on clearance as well. Good phono stage as well a bloody good fun integrated
    Music is an outburst of the soul

Real Name
     Keiran
    Turn Table
     pro-ject
    Digital Source 1
     marantz 5004
    Integrated Amp
     marantzpm5004
    Speakers
     tannoy mercury v4
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Quote Originally Posted by dudywoxer View Post
    I have used a few bits of denon over the years, mainly in a office system. Its good for the money, and usually reliable. Have a look and see if any local Rega dealers have the old brio on clearance as well. Good phono stage as well a bloody good fun integrated
    Thanks for the trio inf will check it out !

Registered
    Real Name
     martin
    Digital Source 1
     Shanling CD-T2000
    Integrated Amp
     Icon Audio MB150
    Speakers
     tannoy kensington SE
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Hi Henry, sounds a bit of a nightmare! I don't know whether anything in the Marantz stable would be suitable price & spec' wise, reliability would be good though. The PM6004 seems well reviewed. Not sure if it has a phono stage, but maybe worth a look. Anyway, good luck in your quest!
    Martin.

Real Name
     Keiran
    Turn Table
     pro-ject
    Digital Source 1
     marantz 5004
    Integrated Amp
     marantzpm5004
    Speakers
     tannoy mercury v4
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Quote Originally Posted by mart46 View Post
    Hi Henry, sounds a bit of a nightmare! I don't know whether anything in the Marantz stable would be suitable price & spec' wise, reliability would be good though. The PM6004 seems well reviewed. Not sure if it has a phono stage, but maybe worth a look. Anyway, good luck in your quest!
    Martin.
    Yeah thanks for that Martin,will check out marantz as well!

Real Name
     Usually guilty
    Turn Table
     Garrard 301
    T/Arm & Cart
     SME M2-12
    SUT/Phono
     Hashimoto/SJS phono
    Digital Source 1
    Digital Source 2
     Nag MP500
    DAC
     supex d900 mkII
    Integrated Amp
     N.A.F. 300b Supreme
    Speakers
     CoCo's fave KEFs
    Pre Amp
     SJS 1.5 Special
    Power Amp
     Airtight 211 MBs
    Headphones
     Dr Dre da Beats
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     Yes
    There is a lovely creek 4040 for sale in the Classified...bomb proof these things and bloody lovely...a NAD killer IMHO. Not new, but v reliable. Mine is now 15 or 20 years old and doing sterling service round my dads.
    ITEMS FOR SALE

Real Name
     Chris
    Turn Table
     Gyro SE Oyaide MJ-12
    T/Arm & Cart
     Jelco750 AT33EV/PTG2
    SUT/Phono
     Icon Audio ps 1.2
    Digital Source 1
     C.A. SM6/Alva NF
    Digital Source 2
     Oppo BDP103D/dab500
    DAC
     C.A. SM6 + 5 more
    Integrated Amp
     Schiit Lyr2
    Speakers
     X.T.Z. 99.36piano ii
    Pre Amp
     M.F. A1 fbp
    Power Amp
     XTZ AP100
    Headphones
     AKG Q701, ADH700X
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Hi Kieran,

Sorry to here of your unfortunate travails, a new amp with the surety of a proper guarantee seems sensible. Unilet based in New Malden, Surrey, are having their annual "Blue Murder Sale" starting in 9 days, It'll definitely be worth hanging on & seeing what the they have on offer, I bought my Musical fidelity A1f.b.p. pre-amp from them last year for 300 brand new in box, which was 20% of the r.r.p. , there were plenty of other stonking reductions too..

Heres a linky so you can register for the sale list when its released... http://www.unilet.net/ I'd counsel no hasty decisions until you have a chance to see whats on offer, They will do sale items mail order too if the traveling doesn't suit you....but it would definitely be good to get in early.

B.R.

vacdac.
    Gyro, Jelly750d, Oyaide MJ-12, AT33EV/OC9ml ii/F3iii, Rondo Red carts, Icon audio PS 1.2 phono, C.A. Stream Magic 6, Oppo BDP,(Synology DS213/Acer timeline X lappy. Alva Nanoface) M.F. A1fbp/Schiit Lyr2 pre's, XTZ ap100 power, XTZ99.36 speaks, x-can v8, AKG Q701

Real Name
     Keiran
    Turn Table
     pro-ject
    Digital Source 1
     marantz 5004
    Integrated Amp
     marantzpm5004
    Speakers
     tannoy mercury v4
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Quote Originally Posted by vacdac View Post
    Hi Kieran,

Sorry to here of your unfortunate travails, a new amp with the surety of a proper guarantee seems sensible. Unilet based in New Malden, Surrey, are having their annual "Blue Murder Sale" starting in 9 days, It'll definitely be worth hanging on & seeing what the they have on offer, I bought my Musical fidelity A1f.b.p. pre-amp from them last year for 300 brand new in box, which was 20% of the r.r.p. , there were plenty of other stonking reductions too..

Heres a linky so you can register for the sale list when its released... http://www.unilet.net/ I'd counsel no hasty decisions until you have a chance to see whats on offer, They will do sale items mail order too if the traveling doesn't suit you....but it would definitely be good to get in early.

B.R.

vacdac.
    thanks for that info,will def look into it,
    Bit sad really,have all me vinyl out nice rack,reasonable speakers and no amp !
    Been listening to the blowse syatem today,awful after the might
    Of a pair of floor standers ! Was loving the system up to the point
    Poor old fred mercs voice phased badly from one speaker to the other
    With the tweeters going into protect mode ! Grrrrrr!

Real Name
     Keiran
    Turn Table
     pro-ject
    Digital Source 1
     marantz 5004
    Integrated Amp
     marantzpm5004
    Speakers
     tannoy mercury v4
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Quote Originally Posted by mart46 View Post
    Martin.
    Hello Martin,checked out the marantz,it has a phono stage and seems well built,the reviews are good as well ,richer sounds have it for 150 ! Which seems a bargain ! Will try and get down there,they also have my speakers,so I could demo my system? Cheers !