Digital Source 1
     Naim CD5i-CD7300
    Integrated Amp
     Naim5i-PM7200
    Speakers
     CV V15F-Kans
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Very interesting. It is of course enjoyable to spend as little as possible on nice projector etc./use money saved for something else/give it to worthier cause.
    'Sometimes via the senses, mostly in the mind' (or pocket)...

Wammer
    JVC projector all the way. Had two Panas - both suffered from dust blobs in the optics, the technology is susceptible to this, and couldn't do blacks that well (LCD). The JVCs are DILA and do great blacks and have sealed optics.

I have a new 42" Pana Plasma for everyday use but the JVC projector blows it away for film use. The projected image is easier on the eye and immerses you.

I would ascertain the persons priority. Image quality or sound quality. Generally I think you will find people will notice quality changes to image over sound. 7 to 8K on a projector\screen. 2 to 3K will get you an great to amazing sound setup.

There are great speaker packages but don't opt for one with a sub. Monitor Audio are my favourites but check out Kef, Tannoy etc. Get a seperate sub ie not inclusive with the speaker package. Velodyne, BK, SVS, Paradigm. Multiple subs would be better if room allows.

Looking at the dimensions I would go for a 5.1 system. 7.1 requires more depth for the rear field.
    AV kit: JVC HD1 Projector, Yamaha RX-V775, MA Bronze 7.1 speakers, 2 x DIY 15" Sealed Subs, Sony BD370, HTPC.
    Stereo: HTPC - TEAC UDH-01 DAC, Marantz 6100 Monoblock Amps, MA B4 Speakers.

Real Name
     James
    Digital Source 1
     Synology NAS
    Digital Source 2
     Raspberry Pi
    DAC
     DDDAC 1794
    Speakers
     Tune Audio Prime
    Pre Amp
     Tom Evans Vibe
    Power Amp
     Decware Zen
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Velodyne DD subs will eat up loads of his budget. I would got for SVS sealed subs. If its just for films then a Genelec 8000 series set of speakers (probably 8040A or 8050A) all round will take some beating. They are active so no need for separate power amps. New Audiolab 8200AP or another processor that can take analogue inputs from a blu ray player. I've yet to here HD audio over HDMI that gets close to a high quality blu ray player doing the digital to analogue conversion.

Wammer
    Real Name
     Mark
    Turn Table
     Heavy plinth Lenco
    T/Arm & Cart
     Rega / Denon 301mkII
    SUT/Phono
     EAR834P
    Digital Source 2
     Gen 1 Apple TV
    DAC
     Jolida Glass FX II
    Integrated Amp
     Sugden A21ai MkII
    Speakers
     Tannoy Stirling TW
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    I'm late to the party but I too would recommend the JVC Dila projector. It is VERY impressive and with proper lighting control blows away EVERY LCD or Plasma TV I have seen to date.

Speaker wise, I am going to recommend something completely left field - the MK Sound 150 Series system. This is the same M&K 150THX system brought back to life and it is simply astounding for film listening (watching). These speakers are still used by the likes of Lucasfilm and other famous sound studios to mix soundtracks for the likes of The Lord of The Rings trilogy, Iron Man, King Kong, Star Wars Saga, The Incredibles, Pirates of the Caribbean etc. Very impressive stuff. Their 750 Series is also impressive for a lesser amount of money. The subs especially are fast and hit hard without an ounce of bloat or loss of control.

Amp wise, if this is to be used soley for home cinema, then I would suggest Anthem as their ARC room correction is top notch and very flexible. Processing is first rate as well.

Real Name
     Charlie
    Turn Table
     BLACK LP12-Pro-Ject
    Digital Source 1
     Naim CD5i-CD7300
    Integrated Amp
     Naim5i-PM7200
    Speakers
     CV V15F-Kans
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    I hope that all (including dealers) were very happy with results/expenditure.

Wammer
    Real Name
     Mark
    Digital Source 1
     Sonos ZP90
    DAC
     Audiolab M-DAC
    Integrated Amp
     Classe CAP2100
    Speakers
     Neat Ultimatum MFS
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Has he got this sorted yet James?

10 - 12k is a healthy budget but not a massive amount for a 'proper blown' home cinema system

What sort of expectations does he have?

If he's happy with a decent sub sat system then maybe look at something like the MK S150's which I think are 1500 a speaker and the MX 350 subwoofer.

If he'd in to music as well then maybe a more conventional speaker package like PMC or B&W would be worth looking in to.

However each of these will be 5000 and up realistically then the minimum amp I;d look at is something like the Onkyo 5009, Anthem MRX700 or Arcam AVR 600 if he wants to stay integrated. To start branching in to the pre-power side of things he'd maybe need another 5000 +

Then I'm gathering he wants a decent 3D projector. The likes of JVC - Panasonic - Sony etc should be his first port of call again 3000 +

Then a decent screen, if its a dedicated room does he want a fixed screen - Maybe 1000 - 3000 for a very good one depending on size.

Blu Ray player I'd keep it simple with an oppo 93 (500) or oppo 95 (900)

Then whatever he fancies on cabling, I'm sure you agree a very subective topic.

Also think about the room acoustics/sound abortion - this can make a huge difference to the look and feel of the room.

Real Name
     Charlie
    Turn Table
     BLACK LP12-Pro-Ject
    Digital Source 1
     Naim CD5i-CD7300
    Integrated Amp
     Naim5i-PM7200
    Speakers
     CV V15F-Kans
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Yes, hope all are happy with the results/value equation.

Banned
    Turn Table
     BPPOS
    Digital Source 1
     SB Touch/JRiver
    Digital Source 2
     Sony BDP
    Integrated Amp
     Anthem
    Speakers
     Audiovector Mi3 AV
    In the Hi-Fi industry?