I just started building the new World Designs preamp and phono kit (with external PSU). It's taken a while.. WD were still finishing the instructions CDrom, and are still waiting for the MC stepup transformers.
With typical timing, my printer had died just as I needed to print out the PDF's. A local print shop quoted me £25 !!!! to print out the 48 pages. I said a rude word.I then spent most of the morning walking from Maplins to Aldi to TWO local small pc shops, to buy a cheapo printer (and I really really don't like going outside....) None of 'em had any sub £50 printers in "Try again next week mate". The local college annex I tried said "sorry, only registered students can use the pc's". I said another rude word, then walked back home and had a cuppa. The walk from the workshop (ok, kitchen) to the living room to read/solder/read/solder/read etc would do me good, I reckoned.
I've started with the PSU..... Construction was straightforward, apart from a couple of things. A quick post on the WD forum soon got a reply that sorted a point or two in the instructions that wereconfusing me (they were typo's), but also pointed out that they hadn't sent me a couple of resistors that I would need.... they sent 'em next day. The instructions are really foolproof, and even when I managed to mis-read a bit, a quick phonecall to the helpline got an instant and helpful reply, with Andy happy to answer any question no matter how dumb.
THe PSU took me about 6 hours to put together (prolly spent 3 of those walking back 'n forth)=) The psu3 is basically the same as the older WAD psu11 (same pcb) but with a slightly different decoupling arrangement for the HT lines (so i'm told)..I just go by the pretty pictures and wurds. A couple of minor points: The power switch shaft was a little too big for the knob, but a quick rub with some sandpaper fixed that. 4 diodes had been changed from the older psu, and the legs were a little too large to go thru the pcb holes...so I used pcb pins, no big deal. Andy said that in future all pcb's will have those holes drilled a little larger.
Plugged it in and switched it on.......... and nothing. No smoke, no sparks, no fuse blowing. Then the power LED lit. YAY !! Measured the voltages carefully (one hand behind my back, one probe clipped to the earth, only using one hand to poke about with. All voltages reading a little high, but within tollerences. Fook me, it works=)
My camera is crap, so a bit pointless taking 100's of closeups (my camera is even more short sighted than me) but here is one.
Tune in next time for the pre3 build bonanza.......