Audio Emotion Purite North  Epiphany Acoustics 
Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 304
  1. #41
    Super Wammer mikehit's Avatar
    Join Date
     Mar 2006
    Posts
     3,812
    Location
     Manchester
    Real Name
     Mike
    Turn Table
     Brass one
    SUT/Phono
     valve
    Digital Source 1
     Italian valved
    Digital Source 2
     new fangled digital
    Integrated Amp
     French
    Speakers
     Old
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Quote Originally Posted by SergeAuckland View Post
    That depends on one's definition of "good". "Good" to me isn't what it sounds like, but how little it distorts what it's reproducing. You may have a different definition of "good".

    S.
    Which brings us back to the age-old argument of how do you know what it is reproducing? How do you know it is accurate to something you haven't heard?

  2. #42
    Super Wammer
    Join Date
     Feb 2008
    Posts
     2,883
    Location
     UK
    Real Name
     Chris
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Quote Originally Posted by awkwardbydesign View Post
    As for things like Formula 1 cars, isn't the final measurement carried out by the test driver
    So many external influences on an F1 car; Track temperature, humidity, air temperature, weather..... etc.

    Amplifiers can be designed to give a specific predictable output (to produce a near perfect copy of the input signal) sign by careful component selection and circuit layout.
    Tomorrow belongs to those who can see it coming.
    Chris.

  3. #43
    In the trade Wammer pure sound's Avatar
    Join Date
     Sep 2011
    Posts
     6,777
    Location
     West Devon
    Turn Table
     STST Motus II
    T/Arm & Cart
     STST Vertex. Io Ltd
    SUT/Phono
     ANS6 Aurorasound
    Digital Source 1
     A8500
    Digital Source 2
     Sony CDP-715E
    Speakers
     Horn
    Pre Amp
     Aurorasound PREDA
    Power Amp
     300B or M845
    Headphones
     Senn HD600. HEADA
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     Yes
    Quote Originally Posted by SergeAuckland View Post
    I see the job of the HiFi system to render such variations in air pressure at the loudspeaker cones/diaphragms as accurately as possible.
    I'd agree with that, but I'd probably disagree with how you'd appraise how well you'd achieved it. Have you been able to measure why your B&W's sound different to your previous Meridians or to a pair of ATC's or to a pair of Harbeths to pick 4 ostensibly similar designs. Ultimately, like it or not, the preference has to be a subjective one. FWIW I think all 4 are deeply flawed but that's just my opinion & everyone else has one too.

  4. #44
    Wammer Lokes's Avatar
    Join Date
     Jan 2010
    Posts
     1,431
    Location
     Pluto, and it's cold
    Real Name
     Aardvark
    Turn Table
     in
    Digital Source 1
     a box
    Integrated Amp
     in
    Speakers
     someone's
    Power Amp
     loft
    Headphones
     
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    MIB said it all in post 5
    "We can measure the cues, but predicting what the brain will do with them is a diferent matter!"

    after spending the larger part of my life dicking around with hifi systems and even recording the odd thing or two,
    it all comes down to the fact that we all prefer a different sound to our partner, friends , colleagues etc much the same
    that we all don't have the same favourite singer / band , colour or appreciation of art, so ultimately what matters is that we enjoy
    the music we hear not worry about it's accuracy to a reference we can't access.
    Serge's argument that he's trying to reproduce what is on the CD is a red herring, the CD will have been mixed and mastered by someone
    with his own preferences and this is further compromised by the engineers monitoring system, in my experience , less than perfect.
    Best to go with what makes listening enjoyable, you know it makes sense
    "If it measures good and sounds bad, it is bad. If it measures bad and sounds good, you've measured the wrong thing."

  5. #45
    Super Wammer
    Join Date
     Feb 2008
    Posts
     2,883
    Location
     UK
    Real Name
     Chris
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    The point is, electrical measurements can be taken to a minute fraction of a Volt/Amp/dBW. Even real world measurements with a calibrated, linear frequency response microphone, many more times as sensitive as the human ear can be obtained and resolved. If we can hear it, then it should be measureable.

    However, not all measureable perameters can be heared. You only have to study a 1kHz sine wave on a scope. Turn the resolution up enough, and you will see noise on the waveform (even with the cleanest power supply), but it would never be heared because it is so insignificant.
    Last edited by zebra100; 15-05-2012 at 10:25 PM.
    Tomorrow belongs to those who can see it coming.
    Chris.

  6. #46
    eye eye wee tam's Avatar
    Join Date
     Jan 2009
    Posts
     7,743
    Location
     Washington Tyne&wear
    Real Name
     TOMMY
    Turn Table
     DM LOGIC 101 MK1
    T/Arm & Cart
     syrinx shure v15
    Digital Source 1
     pioneer PD 91
    DAC
     MERIDIAN 563
    Speakers
     KOSS CM1030
    Pre Amp
     SANSUI AU555A
    Power Amp
     MAGNUM MF 250
    Headphones
     
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    my only problem with this is , if a piece was recoreded in a soundproof / damped to hell studio , where does the soundstage come from ? [QUOTE=tuga;1269876]Audio terms? That's subjective...

    Soundstage: spatial cues (echoes, reverberations, etc.) from the original recording venue
    sansui AU555A , magnum MF250 , pioneer PD 91 , meridian 563 ,logic dm 101 mk1/ AR the turntable , koss CM1030 ,marantz 2020 tuner and some cables

  7. #47
    Super Wammer mmar's Avatar
    Join Date
     Jun 2008
    Posts
     3,449
    Location
     north pole
    Real Name
     mick
    Digital Source 1
     tivo
    Digital Source 2
     bushmaster 2
    DAC
     theta pro gen 5
    Integrated Amp
     peachtree nova 125
    Speakers
     talon khites 2002
    Pre Amp
     counterpoint s2000 e
    Power Amp
     ps audio hca 2
    Headphones
     akg 702 - b + W p 5
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    [QUOTE=Lokes;1270349]MIB said it all in post 5
    "We can measure the cues, but predicting what the brain will do with them is a diferent matter!"

    after spending the larger part of my life dicking around with hifi systems and even recording the odd thing or two,
    it all comes down to the fact that we all prefer a different sound to our partner, friends , colleagues etc much the same
    that we all don't have the same favourite singer / band , colour or appreciation of art, so ultimately what matters is that we enjoy
    the music we hear not worry about it's accuracy to a reference we can't access.
    Serge's argument that he's trying to reproduce what is on the CD is a red herring, the CD will have been mixed and mastered by someone
    with his own preferences and this is further compromised by the engineers monitoring system, in my experience , less than perfect.
    Best to go with what makes listening enjoyable, you know it makes sense[/QUOT

    too true , rep added !
    its all about the music but box swapping is so much fun

  8. #48
    Super Wammer bencat's Avatar
    Join Date
     Feb 2010
    Posts
     1,355
    Location
     Liverpool
    Real Name
     Andrew
    Turn Table
     Logic DM101
    Digital Source 1
     SBT/Theta/PT
    Integrated Amp
     Concordant / Krell
    Speakers
     Harbeth Compact
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Quote Originally Posted by SergeAuckland View Post
    What you say about measuring and listening applies very much to loudspeakers, as these are all currently imperfect and consequently, all designs are a matter of compromise and/or personal choice in what imperfections are acceptable. Electronics, on the other hand, I feel can be designed entirely by calculation and measurement, with listening being just as a final "reality check". This of course assumes that the object of the design is to minimise distortions of all sorts. If the object of the design is for it to have a sonic character, then as with loudspeakers, each designer will have a personal idea of what they're trying to achieve. Even if fashionable today, this second approach has no attraction for me although it may have for others.

    S.
    Serge there is just one problem with this Loudspeakers create a sound wave which can be measured and the measures are repeatable . What a person hears is not measurable because you can neverbe sure exactly what it is they hear only they know and they have to describe it to you. My point is that what is being sent to your brain is one thing what actually arrives there is completely different for each of us.So it really does not matter what you measure outside the head because you have no real way of measuring what that translates to inside. What you hear as an individual can be altered by what you see , what you drink and how you feel do you think anyone can measure any of that ? When we all can not agree what is a good voice , a good song ,a pleasing melody what chance have we ever got that we can agree what is good sound ?
    Last edited by bencat; 15-05-2012 at 10:42 PM.
    System - Theta Data Basic II Transport - Squeezebox Touch Toolbox 3.0 Dynobot Mods - Antimode 2.0 Digital Room Equaliser - Concordant Exhilliarant Pre - Krell KSA 50 Amp - Harbeth Compact Monitors II

  9. #49
    eye eye wee tam's Avatar
    Join Date
     Jan 2009
    Posts
     7,743
    Location
     Washington Tyne&wear
    Real Name
     TOMMY
    Turn Table
     DM LOGIC 101 MK1
    T/Arm & Cart
     syrinx shure v15
    Digital Source 1
     pioneer PD 91
    DAC
     MERIDIAN 563
    Speakers
     KOSS CM1030
    Pre Amp
     SANSUI AU555A
    Power Amp
     MAGNUM MF 250
    Headphones
     
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    one other little experiment that involves zero cost , almost zero effort , try your favourite track , relax , then use 2 fingers one on each ear (back) push the back of your ear forward and outwards and the sound changes , explanations please , as once things are "perfect" how can a simple movement like this change things ?
    sansui AU555A , magnum MF250 , pioneer PD 91 , meridian 563 ,logic dm 101 mk1/ AR the turntable , koss CM1030 ,marantz 2020 tuner and some cables

  10. #50
    Super Wammer
    Join Date
     Feb 2008
    Posts
     2,883
    Location
     UK
    Real Name
     Chris
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Quote Originally Posted by bencat View Post
    Serge there is just one problem with this Loudspeakers create a sound wave which can be measured and themeasures are repeatable . What a person hears is not measurable becauseyou canneverbe sure exactly what itis they hear only they know and they have to describe it to you. My point is that what is being sent to your brain is onething what actually arrives there is completely different for each of us.So it really doesnotmatter what you measure outsidethe head becauseyou have no real way of measuring what that translates to inside. What you hear as anindividual can be altered by what you see , what you drink and how you feel do you think anyone can measure any of that ?
    Doesn't matter how people make sence of the sound pressure waves hitting their ear drums. Absolutely irelevent. Audible changes are measureable. The auditory system isn't any more sensitive than the available test equipment.
    Tomorrow belongs to those who can see it coming.
    Chris.

  11. #51
    Cock with Aspergers ncdrawl's Avatar
    Join Date
     Dec 2008
    Posts
     8,194
    Location
     Southport, NC USA
    Real Name
     Teddy Ray
    Turn Table
     Rebuilt LAB 500
    T/Arm & Cart
     SHURE M3D
    SUT/Phono
     Custom Built Valve
    Digital Source 1
     Squeezebox Touch
    DAC
     Forssell MDAC-2
    Integrated Amp
     MasterSound/Bryston
    Speakers
     K&H 0300D
    Pre Amp
     In my DAC
    Power Amp
     In my Speakers.
    Headphones
     
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Quote Originally Posted by awkwardbydesign View Post
    Actually my main point was about defining measurement. But anyway, would you seriously prefer an unpleasant but objectively accurate sound? At home? And it seems you define HiFi as Peter Walker did, not my preferred definition, " the closest approach to the original MAGIC", which is wholly subjective. Remember we (most of us) are not working in a recording studio, but looking for pleasure. Sorry, listening.
    I feel that our various definitions, and desires, make it hard to find common ground, but the attempts are fascinating, and hopefully good natured.
    it is only unpleasant if the recording is..

    and since there is no intelligent DSP that can adjust frequency abnormalities in each recording to suit tastes, it is far better to have accurate. anything that makes all recordings "pleasant" is no doubt removing some part of the spectrum(normally HF) or removing something.
    Last edited by ncdrawl; 16-05-2012 at 04:54 AM.
    Be just and if you can't be just, be arbitrary- William S. Burroughs

  12. #52
    Cock with Aspergers ncdrawl's Avatar
    Join Date
     Dec 2008
    Posts
     8,194
    Location
     Southport, NC USA
    Real Name
     Teddy Ray
    Turn Table
     Rebuilt LAB 500
    T/Arm & Cart
     SHURE M3D
    SUT/Phono
     Custom Built Valve
    Digital Source 1
     Squeezebox Touch
    DAC
     Forssell MDAC-2
    Integrated Amp
     MasterSound/Bryston
    Speakers
     K&H 0300D
    Pre Amp
     In my DAC
    Power Amp
     In my Speakers.
    Headphones
     
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Quote Originally Posted by mikehit View Post
    Which brings us back to the age-old argument of how do you know what it is reproducing? How do you know it is accurate to something you haven't heard?
    I do it through many years of experience as a recording engineer and musician. Ive done a lot of jumping back and forth between the live and control room feeds, comping takes, mixing, mastering, moving mics..

    I chose my speakers *solely* through that process. Band in the live room. Hear what it sounds like. Go back into the control room, hear what is coming off the speakers(several pairs were set up). I ended up with KH 0300Ds and Yammy HS80/HS10 and my Link k100s this way. The worst ones were Von Schweikerts (VR 4 AND 33 and Klipsch Heresy). My audio kinesis didnt fare to well either using that criteria. (Jazz Modules)

    Its why I stay away from hifi brands..they seem, many of them , to veer towards rolled off/"warm" and "euphonic". rather than absolute fidelity. HiFidelity should be High FIDELITY..

    criteria for fidelity is well established.
    Last edited by ncdrawl; 16-05-2012 at 04:55 AM.
    Be just and if you can't be just, be arbitrary- William S. Burroughs

  13. #53
    Super Wammer cjr's Avatar
    Join Date
     Aug 2005
    Posts
     8,190
    Location
     UK
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Personally I think if you cannot detect a difference between 2 components/cables under blind conditions....then there is a very good chance that there is no difference there at all. That is how I live my audiophile life these days.
    Linn LP12~Denon DVD-2900~Marantz PS17~Dynaudio Contour 1.3 MkII|Sony BDP-S760~Sony MDS-JB930QS~Sony SDP-EP90ES~Sony TA-N55ES~Wharfedale 306|Sony CDP-X3000ES~Sony ST-S3000ES~Sony TA-VA777ES~Diapason Emera

  14. #54
    In the trade Wammer pure sound's Avatar
    Join Date
     Sep 2011
    Posts
     6,777
    Location
     West Devon
    Turn Table
     STST Motus II
    T/Arm & Cart
     STST Vertex. Io Ltd
    SUT/Phono
     ANS6 Aurorasound
    Digital Source 1
     A8500
    Digital Source 2
     Sony CDP-715E
    Speakers
     Horn
    Pre Amp
     Aurorasound PREDA
    Power Amp
     300B or M845
    Headphones
     Senn HD600. HEADA
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     Yes
    Quote Originally Posted by ncdrawl View Post
    I do it through many years of experience as a recording engineer and musician. Ive done a lot of jumping back and forth between the live and control room feeds, comping takes, mixing, mastering, moving mics..

    I chose my speakers *solely* through that process. Band in the live room. Hear what it sounds like. Go back into the control room, hear what is coming off the speakers(several pairs were set up). I ended up with KH 0300Ds and Yammy HS80/HS10 and my Link k100s this way.
    So, an entirely subjective judgement then. No different to most of us

  15. #55
    Wammer Werner's Avatar
    Join Date
     Jun 2008
    Posts
     560
    Location
     Antwerp, , Belgium
    Turn Table
     Orbe & Gyro SE
    T/Arm & Cart
     SME IV/Lyra&Allaerts
    SUT/Phono
     DIY, Dino, ISO,AQVOX
    Digital Source 1
     Denon DVD-2930
    Digital Source 2
     NAS + Pioneer N50
    DAC
     Apogee MiniDAC
    Speakers
     Quad ESL63 + XTZ sub
    Pre Amp
     Michell Orca
    Power Amp
     Michell AlectoStereo
    Headphones
     
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Quote Originally Posted by wee tam View Post
    use 2 fingers one on each ear (back) push the back of your ear forward and outwards and the sound changes , explanations please ,
    What exactly would you like to have explained?
    Then you wake up and realise your former classmates are ... running most of the TV shows.

  16. #56
    Super Wammer tkimages's Avatar
    Join Date
     Jun 2006
    Posts
     5,351
    Location
     St Helens
    Turn Table
     Gyro SE
    T/Arm & Cart
     Technoarm/DL160
    SUT/Phono
     Whest
    Digital Source 1
     Meridian G08
    Digital Source 2
     Sonos
    DAC
     In the speakers
    Integrated Amp
     In the speakers.
    Speakers
     Meridian DSP5200
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Cracking thread, loads of 'bollocks' from all viewpoints - just what the 'wam' is all about.

    The number of different viewpoints says it all - in the end it is about subjectivity (Serge excluded of course !)
    Tillman
    http://www.tkimages.co.uk

    Marj, my wife and best friend, says my passions are obsessions.

  17. #57
    Wammer Werner's Avatar
    Join Date
     Jun 2008
    Posts
     560
    Location
     Antwerp, , Belgium
    Turn Table
     Orbe & Gyro SE
    T/Arm & Cart
     SME IV/Lyra&Allaerts
    SUT/Phono
     DIY, Dino, ISO,AQVOX
    Digital Source 1
     Denon DVD-2930
    Digital Source 2
     NAS + Pioneer N50
    DAC
     Apogee MiniDAC
    Speakers
     Quad ESL63 + XTZ sub
    Pre Amp
     Michell Orca
    Power Amp
     Michell AlectoStereo
    Headphones
     
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Quote Originally Posted by ncdrawl View Post
    I ended up with KH 0300Ds and Yammy HS80/HS10 and my Link k100s [/COLOR]
    But how the 'ell does an American end up with Links, a brand not even known outside its hamlet of origin?

    Then you wake up and realise your former classmates are ... running most of the TV shows.

  18. #58
    Sic Transit Gloria crimsondonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
     Jul 2008
    Posts
     1,557
    Location
     Midlands
    Turn Table
     Michell Gyrodec SE
    T/Arm & Cart
     Teconarm + 501/2
    SUT/Phono
     Heed Quasar
    Digital Source 1
     Mac Mini
    Digital Source 2
     Modwright TP
    DAC
     DDDAC 1794 DIY jobby
    Speakers
     Event Opal
    Pre Amp
     None
    Power Amp
     In the speakers
    Headphones
     
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Already covered to some extents earlier but this is largely a debate about philosophy and value. What got me into hifi (used generically) is my enjoyment of music, so I spend time listening to just that - the music, and am completely unconcerned with listening to the kit itself or worrying about achieving the nth degree of faithfulness to the original recording (which in differing degrees is a manufactured 'construct' in any case).

    I recognise there are other value systems operating here as well, so others quite obviously place a very high premium on a strict adherence to the idea of 'high fidleity' in its narrowest sense. That's fine, its all good, we all take enjoyment from different aspects of this hobby/ obssession.
    I\'m a street walkin\' cheetah with a handful of napalm..

  19. #59
    Super Wammer bencat's Avatar
    Join Date
     Feb 2010
    Posts
     1,355
    Location
     Liverpool
    Real Name
     Andrew
    Turn Table
     Logic DM101
    Digital Source 1
     SBT/Theta/PT
    Integrated Amp
     Concordant / Krell
    Speakers
     Harbeth Compact
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Quote Originally Posted by zebra100 View Post
    Doesn't matter how people make sence of the sound pressure waves hitting their ear drums. Absolutely irelevent. Audible changes are measureable. The auditory system isn't any more sensitive than the available test equipment.
    Chris how do you know this ? Do you know what I hear what anyone hears ? Current thinking is that we do not in a similar way to that we all think differently . If this is the case and I know we can not be sure on this then it is the most important thing not the least. I am buying the equipment , I am buying the music , I am listening to it and mostly choosing what will play . If what I hear and how this makes me feel is not important then what is the point of the rest of the chain ?
    System - Theta Data Basic II Transport - Squeezebox Touch Toolbox 3.0 Dynobot Mods - Antimode 2.0 Digital Room Equaliser - Concordant Exhilliarant Pre - Krell KSA 50 Amp - Harbeth Compact Monitors II

  20. #60
    eye eye wee tam's Avatar
    Join Date
     Jan 2009
    Posts
     7,743
    Location
     Washington Tyne&wear
    Real Name
     TOMMY
    Turn Table
     DM LOGIC 101 MK1
    T/Arm & Cart
     syrinx shure v15
    Digital Source 1
     pioneer PD 91
    DAC
     MERIDIAN 563
    Speakers
     KOSS CM1030
    Pre Amp
     SANSUI AU555A
    Power Amp
     MAGNUM MF 250
    Headphones
     
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    why the sound percieves to change ?, and it does change , so therefore your facial features are responsible for us all hearing different sounds from the same pieces of kit
    Quote Originally Posted by Werner View Post
    What exactly would you like to have explained?
    sansui AU555A , magnum MF250 , pioneer PD 91 , meridian 563 ,logic dm 101 mk1/ AR the turntable , koss CM1030 ,marantz 2020 tuner and some cables

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •