Marantz/P1A / P3A
    Integrated Amp
     Linsley Hood
    Speakers
     JM lab Electra 926
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Short wall / long wall

Hi folks. In the spirit of inquiry (and because I can) I'm thinking of turning my whole room through 90. At the moment the speakers are far away on the short wall of a rectangular room. I'm thinking of putting them on the long wall - which will have several consequences:

They can be farther apart, and further away from the side walls.

Has anybody tried this and what did you hear ? Which did you prefer ?
    The retrospectroscope - the most powerful tool in science.

Real Name
     Shaun
    Turn Table
     Gyro SE
    T/Arm & Cart
     SME IV / Phoenix
    SUT/Phono
     Audio South / P10
    Digital Source 1
     Quad 99 CDP2
    Digital Source 2
     Airport Express
    Integrated Amp
     EAR Yoshino 8L6
    Speakers
     Tannoy Turnberry HE
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    I have mine on the short wall, but I've brought my listening seat in a good 3-4ft from the back wall. Erm, I guess you'll have to try both and see what suits you as there's people with both positions that will say one is better than the other. I didn't like them in the alcoves of my fireplace as it meant the rest of the room was a mess - even with a dedicated room, and they were a bit boomy in the alcoves. Try it though! it's half the fun.
    If you're reading a thread I've created it's probably to do with something breaking or not going to plan again.

Real Name
     Chris
    Turn Table
     Gyro SE Oyaide MJ-12
    T/Arm & Cart
     Jelco750 AT33EV/PTG2
    SUT/Phono
     Icon Audio ps 1.2
    Digital Source 1
     C.A. SM6/Alva NF
    Digital Source 2
     Oppo BDP103D/dab500
    DAC
     C.A. SM6 + 5 more
    Integrated Amp
     Schiit Lyr2
    Speakers
     X.T.Z. 99.36piano ii
    Pre Amp
     M.F. A1 fbp
    Power Amp
     XTZ AP100
    Headphones
     AKG Q701, ADH700X
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Long wall every time for me if possible, as in most uk sized rooms (19 & a half by 15'ish foot) this allows for positioning well away from corners. I don't have alcoves to deal wiv mind & in any case my current room is dual aspect & as the short walls have largish windows the other option would be less than ideal. This room been pretty much done on a stereo first basis & I enjoy music from either of my Stressless swivel recliners in Paloma Orange leather, & these are pretty much my ideal stereo chairs (one is positioned more favorably than the other tho'......mine of course) .

My last couple of places it was short wall, although the rooms were slightly bigger, due to room configuration i.e. cupboards, doors etc & the mahoosive floor to ceiling windows on the unbroken long walls of both rooms. My systems have sounded better in the current room but that's no great surprise, as this time around I've not really had to compromise & it could be a real wrench should I ever have to move.
    Gyro, Jelly750d, Oyaide MJ-12, AT33EV/OC9ml ii/F3iii, Rondo Red carts, Icon audio PS 1.2 phono, C.A. Stream Magic 6, Oppo BDP,(Synology DS213/Acer timeline X lappy. Alva Nanoface) M.F. A1fbp/Schiit Lyr2 pre's, XTZ ap100 power, XTZ99.36 speaks, x-can v8, AKG Q701

Real Name
     Shaun
    Turn Table
     Gyro SE
    T/Arm & Cart
     SME IV / Phoenix
    SUT/Phono
     Audio South / P10
    Digital Source 1
     Quad 99 CDP2
    Digital Source 2
     Airport Express
    Integrated Amp
     EAR Yoshino 8L6
    Speakers
     Tannoy Turnberry HE
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    One of my speakers is still right in the alcove but I chose to have them further apart and toed-in *despite dali saying they should have no toe in* - it was just firing into the fireplace otherwise. Sigh the compromises we must make.
    If you're reading a thread I've created it's probably to do with something breaking or not going to plan again.

Real Name
     Stuart
    Digital Source 1
     Laptop
    DAC
     Looking...
    Speakers
     B&W 802D
    Pre Amp
     Ayre K5XE-mp
    Power Amp
     Mark Levinson 433
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Would you say the Paloma leather helps the sound quality,or will the 'batick' leather version be sufficient?
    Quote Originally Posted by vacdac View Post
    Long wall every time for me if possible, as in most uk sized rooms (19 & a half by 15'ish foot) this allows for positioning well away from corners. I don't have alcoves to deal wiv mind & in any case my current room is dual aspect & as the short walls have largish windows the other option would be less than ideal. This room been pretty much done on a stereo first basis & I enjoy music from either of my Stressless swivel recliners in Paloma Orange leather, & these are pretty much my ideal stereo chairs (one is positioned more favorably than the other tho'......mine of course) .

My last couple of places it was short wall, although the rooms were slightly bigger, due to room configuration i.e. cupboards, doors etc & the mahoosive floor to ceiling windows on the unbroken long walls of both rooms. My systems have sounded better in the current room but that's no great surprise, as this time around I've not really had to compromise & it could be a real wrench should I ever have to move.

Pac67
    Quote Originally Posted by Cambs12 View Post
    Would you say the Paloma leather helps the sound quality,or will the 'batick' leather version be sufficient?
    A beige velour option is less reflective Stuart

Real Name
     Lindsay
    Turn Table
     Roksan Xerxes 20+
    T/Arm & Cart
     Artemiz/Dyn XX2
    SUT/Phono
     Naim Superline
    Digital Source 1
     Naim CDS3/XPS2
    Speakers
     Dyn Contour 1.8
    Pre Amp
     Naim 282/hi-cap
    Power Amp
     Naim 250-2
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Long wall for me about 8' apart - plenty of room either side, about 20" of the wall, soft furnishings.
    Nostalgia is not art (MIB 1 Jul 13)

Real Name
     Ric
    Digital Source 1
     modified 80s pioneer
    Integrated Amp
     custom minimalist ss
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Quote Originally Posted by rocky raccoon View Post
    Hi folks. In the spirit of inquiry (and because I can) I'm thinking of turning my whole room through 90. At the moment the speakers are far away on the short wall of a rectangular room. I'm thinking of putting them on the long wall - which will have several consequences:

They can be farther apart, and further away from the side walls.

Has anybody tried this and what did you hear ? Which did you prefer ?
    A bit of reading - How To Set Up a Room

"loudspeakers should face the long way into a room.
    Peaks and nulls become worse as you approach the rear wall behind you,
    and this orientation puts the listening position farther from that wall"

A lot of reading - Common Speaker/Room Setup methods and Room Measurement Primer

Ric
    "...man will occasionally stumble over the truth, but usually manages to pick himself up, walk over or around it, and carry on." - Winston Churchill

Real Name
     Simon
    Turn Table
     Kuzma Stabi XL4
    Digital Source 1
     Playback Designs MP5
    Integrated Amp
     N/A
    Speakers
     ADAM Tensor Alpha
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Long wall for me too, l have tried both in many rooms and always find l prefer long wall. This usually compromises the distance the speakers are off the front wall and the space behind the listening chair so pay attention to both of these when setting up. If you can put soft furnishings between the speakers or at the very least not clutter the space between the speakers with audio racks and cabinets you will benefit the imaging greatly.

Real Name
     Chris
    Turn Table
     Gyro SE Oyaide MJ-12
    T/Arm & Cart
     Jelco750 AT33EV/PTG2
    SUT/Phono
     Icon Audio ps 1.2
    Digital Source 1
     C.A. SM6/Alva NF
    Digital Source 2
     Oppo BDP103D/dab500
    DAC
     C.A. SM6 + 5 more
    Integrated Amp
     Schiit Lyr2
    Speakers
     X.T.Z. 99.36piano ii
    Pre Amp
     M.F. A1 fbp
    Power Amp
     XTZ AP100
    Headphones
     AKG Q701, ADH700X
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Nah the Paloma's just proper lush...tooootally cushty!!

Batick 'd b fine tho' The Stressless chairs obviously doesn't change the SQ...although you can easily adjust your position etc. & for me it does seem to add to the experience & as I broke several vertebra in my twenties, decent comfortable seating is really important to me & I do actually almost consider them as a Hi-Fi purchase..bonkers as that might sound
    Last edited by vacdac; 13-06-2013 at 06:59 AM. Reason: spelling....doh!!
    Gyro, Jelly750d, Oyaide MJ-12, AT33EV/OC9ml ii/F3iii, Rondo Red carts, Icon audio PS 1.2 phono, C.A. Stream Magic 6, Oppo BDP,(Synology DS213/Acer timeline X lappy. Alva Nanoface) M.F. A1fbp/Schiit Lyr2 pre's, XTZ ap100 power, XTZ99.36 speaks, x-can v8, AKG Q701

Real Name
     Iestos de la Mancha
    Turn Table
     gyro se WB 0.5
    Digital Source 1
     Marantz/P1A / P3A
    Integrated Amp
     Linsley Hood
    Speakers
     JM lab Electra 926
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Quote Originally Posted by Mondie View Post
    Long wall for me too, l have tried both in many rooms and always find l prefer long wall. This usually compromises the distance the speakers are off the front wall and the space behind the listening chair so pay attention to both of these when setting up. If you can put soft furnishings between the speakers or at the very least not clutter the space between the speakers with audio racks and cabinets you will benefit the imaging greatly.
    Most interesting & helpful posts. I especially agree with you - Mondie. I have the front end in an alcove at the opposite end of the room, monoblocks and nothing in between the speakers. This state of affairs would apply to the potential 'long wall' set up.

I don't have bass issues and I can dial in the sub to suit. One of the things my system does well is the stereo image - especially in the depth plane. I'm wondering if I can get some more of the same - and in the width department - if I have the speakers on the long wall.

By golly I think I'm going to try it. And get a Stressless Paloma.

Real Name
     Chris
    Turn Table
     Gyro SE Oyaide MJ-12
    T/Arm & Cart
     Jelco750 AT33EV/PTG2
    SUT/Phono
     Icon Audio ps 1.2
    Digital Source 1
     C.A. SM6/Alva NF
    Digital Source 2
     Oppo BDP103D/dab500
    DAC
     C.A. SM6 + 5 more
    Integrated Amp
     Schiit Lyr2
    Speakers
     X.T.Z. 99.36piano ii
    Pre Amp
     M.F. A1 fbp
    Power Amp
     XTZ AP100
    Headphones
     AKG Q701, ADH700X
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Hi rocky raccoon

Honestly you wouldn't regret it, Just make sure yours gets preferential positioning & not the one for the Missus? under a cunning ruse of it being for her benefit of course

Stuart (Cambs 12) has just outed himself as a fellow Stressless owner in a p.m. to me & I'm sure there's many "Closet" Stressless owners on the forum

Chris ooooooooooot
    Most interesting & helpful posts. I especially agree with you - Mondie. I have the front end in an alcove at the opposite end of the room, monoblocks and nothing in between the speakers. This state of affairs would apply to the potential 'long wall' set up.

I don't have bass issues and I can dial in the sub to suit. One of the things my system does well is the stereo image - especially in the depth plane. I'm wondering if I can get some more of the same - and in the width department - if I have the speakers on the long wall.

By golly I think I'm going to try it. And get a Stressless Paloma.

Real Name
     Stuart
    Digital Source 1
     Laptop
    DAC
     Looking...
    Speakers
     B&W 802D
    Pre Amp
     Ayre K5XE-mp
    Power Amp
     Mark Levinson 433
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Just remember to get one of these for your beer/coffee/brandy/remote etc.We didn't,and regretted it since...Back to speaker setup,what are your room dimensions?
    Last edited by Cambs12; 22-05-2012 at 10:20 PM.

Real Name
     Iestos de la Mancha
    Turn Table
     gyro se WB 0.5
    Digital Source 1
     Marantz/P1A / P3A
    Integrated Amp
     Linsley Hood
    Speakers
     JM lab Electra 926
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Mmm - 'bout five and a half meters long by about four wide.
    http://i572.photobucket.com/albums/s...ening/room.jpg
    The speakers would go on the right wall - right speaker wouldn't move much but would come towards the camera as it were. I'd have to re-arrange the absorptive panels a quite a bit (there's one behind the current listening position and a new one which covers the telly when not in use (frequently). The left bass trap would 'assume the position' in the corner behind the speaker accordingly. Records would probably go under the telly. The futon on the right would go. full stop. No one sits on it (unless there's no room on the sofa) but the mattress is good for accommodating drunk guests....

Before anyone says it - there is a rug n- and an abfusor on the ceiling - just found this :
    http://i572.photobucket.com/albums/s...overview-2.jpg

It's a pretty lousy room acoustically (compared with the last gaff - which was excellent) but all the mucking about with room treatment has made it quite acceptable. Except that I wonder whether I shouldn't have done it the other way round in the first place - hence the post.

Looking for a Persian rug & a stressless with single malt glass holding capacity...
    Last edited by rocky raccoon; 22-05-2012 at 11:38 PM.

Real Name
     Chris
    Turn Table
     Gyro SE Oyaide MJ-12
    T/Arm & Cart
     Jelco750 AT33EV/PTG2
    SUT/Phono
     Icon Audio ps 1.2
    Digital Source 1
     C.A. SM6/Alva NF
    Digital Source 2
     Oppo BDP103D/dab500
    DAC
     C.A. SM6 + 5 more
    Integrated Amp
     Schiit Lyr2
    Speakers
     X.T.Z. 99.36piano ii
    Pre Amp
     M.F. A1 fbp
    Power Amp
     XTZ AP100
    Headphones
     AKG Q701, ADH700X
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    The speakers would go on the right wall - right speaker wouldn't move much but would come towards the camera as it were. I'd have to re-arrange the absorptive panels a quite a bit (there's one behind the current listening position and a new one which covers the telly when not in use (frequently). The left bass trap would 'assume the position' in the corner behind the speaker accordingly. Records would probably go under the telly. The futon on the right would go. full stop. No one sits on it (unless there's no room on the sofa) but the mattress is good for accommodating drunk guests....

Before anyone says it - there is a rug n- and an abfusor on the ceiling - just found this :

It's a pretty lousy room acoustically (compared with the last gaff - which was excellent) but all the mucking about with room treatment has made it quite acceptable. Except that I wonder whether I shouldn't have done it the other way round in the first place - hence the post.

Looking for a Persian rug & a stressless with single malt glass holding capacity...
    Excellent!! R.R. , you would deffo seem to have your priorities right...top stuff re. the range of leathers available there are/were four available in ascending cost. The Royalin is top of the range & the softest, but the least hardwearing, next down is the Paloma range which is also soft but also has better wear characteristics & the leather has a natural face, i.e. not embossed & IMV has the funkiest range of colours, last time I looked their was a new Lime green that was not available when I bought mine. Next down is Batick which is prolly the most hard wearing & has an embossed grain face(I think) Can't remember what the bottom of the rang basic leather woz tho'.

Cheers Fella

Chris oooooooooooot

Real Name
     Ric
    Digital Source 1
     modified 80s pioneer
    Integrated Amp
     custom minimalist ss
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    If the leather stands behind one's head/ears it will have a negative effect sound quality.

R
    "...man will occasionally stumble over the truth, but usually manages to pick himself up, walk over or around it, and carry on." - Winston Churchill

Real Name
     Ric
    Digital Source 1
     modified 80s pioneer
    Integrated Amp
     custom minimalist ss
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

If you are looking for a correct stereophonic presentation and reduce room induced reflexions and colourations, your listening spot should be just about here:

Digital Source 1
     Cairn Fog V2
    Integrated Amp
     Cairn 4808A
    Speakers
     Dali Suite 2.8
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    yeah, I've got my speakers facing down the long length on my living room and I love the sound of it...
    old photo here, and setup has changed a fair bit..! room 25 foot long...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/weardal...57594510990401

was at some guys house who had his martin logan speakers on the long wall and I'm not sure if it's because he had the volume far too loud but it never worked for me...
    this sig is intentionally blank...

Real Name
     Splodge
    Turn Table
     Pack away
    T/Arm & Cart
     Some Where
    SUT/Phono
     With the turntable
    Digital Source 1
     Meridian G08:2
    Digital Source 2
     Streammagic 6/RNas
    DAC
     T+A Dac 8
    Speakers
     Kef Ref 203mk'2s
    Pre Amp
     T+A Dac
    Power Amp
     2 x Meridian 557's
    Headphones
     Senn HD650's NJC amp
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    My self having 2x Stressless sofas in 'paloma' taupe finish, i couldn't notice any change in the sound of my system when we switched from a DFS 'Batick'leather suit.

Real Name
     Shaun
    Turn Table
     Gyro SE
    T/Arm & Cart
     SME IV / Phoenix
    SUT/Phono
     Audio South / P10
    Digital Source 1
     Quad 99 CDP2
    Digital Source 2
     Airport Express
    Integrated Amp
     EAR Yoshino 8L6
    Speakers
     Tannoy Turnberry HE
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    I keep coming into this thread expecting useful tips on speaker positioning