ARC CD3 mk2
    Integrated Amp
     Pathos Logos
    Speakers
     Amphion Zenon
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

A tale of two boxes

After having my Koetsu Red fettled by Dominic Harper earlier in the year I was more than happy with my system,but had been interested in SUT's after reading previous posts on the Wam.Using the MC stage on my ARC PH5 required quite a high volume on the amp resulting in hum from the speakers,not audible in the listening position,but enough to annoy me.Looking around at what was available I soon came to realise that these are not cheap,500 for two metal cans that looked like WW2 shell casings was not what I wanted,regardless of how they might perform,so I decided that a budget of 1K would hopefully get me something worthwhile.

There were many advertised as being suitable for a Koetsu,but idealy the MC1 from Koetsu would be the one to go for,I enquired at AS and was informed that they were 3.6K GULP !!! To cut a long story short there was one on the auction site,so I bid my max and won it.It was an early 80's model possibly built by Sugano himself,it was in mint condition with no marks whatsoever.

It arrived midweek and for the next two weekends I didn't get much chance to listen to it,although initial results were promising.At last I had a whole Saturday,Mrs O had gone out,heaven.It was quite a jaw dropping experience to say the least,it's difficult to put into words how much difference it makes,it's like adding a turbocharger,there is so much more life,detail,width,depth,bass,top end,you name it, everything has improved by leaps and bounds.If you are lucky enough to have a Koetsu cartridge.you really need to hear what this can add to your system.

At my phono stage bake off a few weeks ago,we had a balanced mains transformer to play with,the Air Link CBS2000.During the afternoon we tried it with all the phono stages and eventually my whole system,results were promising.After everyone left I went onto the auction site and found one listed,it was by a fellow Wammer,PM'd him,did the deal and it arrived a few days later.
    I live in the sticks with overhead power lines supplying my house,so the mains supply isn't good,I have had the Isotek Sigmus,Nordost Thor and several other conditioners here and they didn't make that much difference to justify the cost,so they all went back.
    The balanced unit is staying,it really makes a substantial improvement to everything I have so far tried it with,even just plugging in my TT is audibly superior.Basis make a power supply for my deck which if I am correct does pretty much the same thing as the transformer,it seems to give the motor so much more drive,that the motor itself moves on start up due to maybe having more torque.

These two boxes have made a substantial improvement to my system,even Mrs O commented that it sounded wonderful.

Turn Table
     Avid
    T/Arm & Cart
     Tri-planar/ Io
    SUT/Phono
     ANS 3 / SJS Custom
    Digital Source 1
     Yamaha
    DAC
     DAX Decade Balanced
    Speakers
     Big & Obsolete
    Pre Amp
     Graaf
    Power Amp
     ARC D115
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Congrats.

SUT with MC is the way to go into MM phono. Unfortunately there are as many SUT's as carts so it is a minefield but common sense tells us to use the one made or spec'd by the cart maker.

If mechanical condition is good I believe age is irrelevant to SUT's so the older they are possibly the cheaper they will be and will hold /increase in value.

Real Name
     Graham
    Turn Table
     Basis signature 2200
    T/Arm & Cart
     Vector 4, Koetsu Red
    SUT/Phono
     Koetsu SUT,ARC PH5
    Digital Source 1
     ARC CD3 mk2
    Integrated Amp
     Pathos Logos
    Speakers
     Amphion Zenon
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    I wasn't bothered about the age as you say they should last a while,was fortunate to pick both boxes up at a reasonable price.

Have managed a few hours listening over the last couple of weeks,a fellow Wammer popped over last Saturday,I played him Tubular Bells,the first strike of the bell was so dramatic it made me jump when I heard it earlier in the week,just played Tubular Bells 2,I always knew there were female backing singers on some parts,now I know where they are and what there singing,as several people have said now,with the addition of these boxes,music sounds wonderful.
    Last edited by GJO; 25-05-2012 at 04:07 PM.