Pre Amp
     Nadja DSP
    Power Amp
     Lots
    Headphones
     Make u look a cunt
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Oi! I'll have you know I'm perfectly capable of ignoring every post in a thread regardless of device.
    CD players - computer audio for dummies.

Price Discovery Bitch i_should_coco's Avatar
    Real Name
     Coco-san
    Turn Table
     Voyd Reference
    T/Arm & Cart
     AN Arm-3/Io Ltd.
    SUT/Phono
     AN S9/DIY LCR
    Digital Source 1
     Laptop/JRiver
    DAC
     Nadja
    Integrated Amp
     Disintegrated maybe
    Speakers
     YL Landfill Olympian
    Pre Amp
     Nadja DSP
    Power Amp
     Lots
    Headphones
     Make u look a cunt
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Sorry, I meant buy a brown one.
    CD players - computer audio for dummies.

Wammer
    Real Name
     NORMAN
    Digital Source 1
     Marantz SA7-SI
    Integrated Amp
     A Analogue ClassA SE
    Speakers
     ZINGALI OVERTURE 4
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    I use one of these connected to my 50inch Panasonic Plasma TV. http://www.qacoustics.co.uk/q-tv/q-tv2.htm.
    Provides a surprisingly big sound helped by the discete subwoofer on the back.

Real Name
     Kevin
    Turn Table
     Kuzma Stabi S
    T/Arm & Cart
     Stogi, AN Io
    SUT/Phono
     Audio Note S6c
    Digital Source 1
     Rega Saturn
    Digital Source 2
     SBT
    DAC
     Rega
    Speakers
     LV OBX-R2
    Pre Amp
     Audio Note M3
    Power Amp
     CocoSan 300B PP Mono
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    I bought one of these but it is pretty naff and I doubt any of the other variations by other manufacturers will be any different. The GA on the TV gives as good as the soundbar apart from the sub, which doesn't integrate well and adds a layer to things like news broadcasts which is just plain annoying.

It is going back and I will either look at a pair of active mini monitors or a T-amp and a switch box into my LVs
    "We could have saved the Earth but we were too damned cheap" Kurt Vonnegut

Real Name
     Chris
    Turn Table
     Gyro SE Oyaide MJ-12
    T/Arm & Cart
     Jelco 750 AT33EV/OC9
    SUT/Phono
     Icon Audio ps 1.2
    Digital Source 1
     C.A. SM6/Alva NF
    Digital Source 2
     Oppo BDP103D/dab500
    DAC
     C.A. SM6 + 5 more
    Integrated Amp
     M.F. x-can v8 AKG272
    Speakers
     X.T.Z. 99.36piano ii
    Pre Amp
     M.F. A1 fbp
    Power Amp
     XTZ AP100
    Headphones
     AT ATH AD700X
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Wow Kevin,

That's very disappointing considering it's price isn't it ! If I was in your situation I guess the small active monitor route is the option I'd prolly favour....whichever way you end up going tho' I'm sure the end result will be a lot better than that ...It's huge disappointment really that tv mfrs don't manage to squeeze better SQ from their products in the first place really . It's really good to have your input tho' re this not so good product as my Dad is considering a sound bar....although I do understand some are actually pretty decent
    Last edited by vacdac; 30-05-2012 at 10:18 AM.
    Gyro, Jelly750d, Oyaide MJ-12, AT33EV/OC9ml ii/F3iii, Rondo Red carts, Icon audio PS 1.2 phono, C.A. Stream Magic 6, TEAC cd,(Synology DS213/Acer timeline X lappy. Alva Nanoface) M.F. A1fbp pre XTZ ap100 power, XTZ99.36 speaks, x-can v8 & x10v3, AKG 272hd

Real Name
     Kevin
    Turn Table
     Kuzma Stabi S
    T/Arm & Cart
     Stogi, AN Io
    SUT/Phono
     Audio Note S6c
    Digital Source 1
     Rega Saturn
    Digital Source 2
     SBT
    DAC
     Rega
    Speakers
     LV OBX-R2
    Pre Amp
     Audio Note M3
    Power Amp
     CocoSan 300B PP Mono
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    I am sure thay are fine in many circumstances, but I would really look at what you are getting and why you are getting it.
    If you are not a big action movie fan do you need a sub? Integration is an issue.
    If you do get a sub make sure it is adjustable (mine wasn't).
    Explore the settings in the TV menu. The defaults on mine were rubbish but there is a 'Custom' setting which gives access to a graphic equaliser on my Panasonic TV which improves matters greatly.

Expectation is another matter. I have put a lot of time, money and effort into my stereo system and know what good sound can be like.
    I routed the optical output from the TV through my DAC and then through my stereo and it is no surprise that the sound quality was very good indeed. It is probably unfair to expect a similar standard from a relatively cheap soundbar, although that sound may be perfectly acceptable to a casual TV watcher. I couldn't live with it though.

Real Name
     Chris
    Turn Table
     Gyro SE Oyaide MJ-12
    T/Arm & Cart
     Jelco 750 AT33EV/OC9
    SUT/Phono
     Icon Audio ps 1.2
    Digital Source 1
     C.A. SM6/Alva NF
    Digital Source 2
     Oppo BDP103D/dab500
    DAC
     C.A. SM6 + 5 more
    Integrated Amp
     M.F. x-can v8 AKG272
    Speakers
     X.T.Z. 99.36piano ii
    Pre Amp
     M.F. A1 fbp
    Power Amp
     XTZ AP100
    Headphones
     AT ATH AD700X
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Thx for your thoughtful reply Kevin. Yup I know exactly what you mean & it's always going to be difficult once your "Comparitive Bar" (scuse!! ), has been raised beyond a certain point

Luckily I have mine well sorted as I have my AV rig fully integrated into my stereo set up & have the choice of nice quality surround or just a plain vanilla stereo option if I like via one of my dacs & straight into my pre-amp, which is my preferred option for music programmes i.e. Jools etc. & even have the option of switching to class AB for more sane power consumption when I have both power amps fired up for any multi channel silliness ...I still think a sound bar may b the preferred option 4 my Dad tho' , so will have to investigate the better sounding of the more sensibly priced ones out there so will prolly check out Yamahas offerings as a starting point.
    Last edited by vacdac; 30-05-2012 at 06:52 PM.
    Gyro, Jelly750d, Oyaide MJ-12, AT33EV/OC9ml ii/F3iii, Rondo Red carts, Icon audio PS 1.2 phono, C.A. Stream Magic 6, TEAC cd,(Synology DS213/Acer timeline X lappy. Alva Nanoface) M.F. A1fbp pre XTZ ap100 power, XTZ99.36 speaks, x-can v8 & x10v3, AKG 272hd

Real Name
     Kevin
    Turn Table
     Kuzma Stabi S
    T/Arm & Cart
     Stogi, AN Io
    SUT/Phono
     Audio Note S6c
    Digital Source 1
     Rega Saturn
    Digital Source 2
     SBT
    DAC
     Rega
    Speakers
     LV OBX-R2
    Pre Amp
     Audio Note M3
    Power Amp
     CocoSan 300B PP Mono
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Quick update to this thread.

I watched a blueray film using the soundbar and it was very good, I really enjoyed the film and it added to the experience. I started to think that I was being a bit hasty and perhaps I should keep it. I then watched a TV prog and all the things that p'ed me off the first time were still there. Unfortunately I don't want to just use the soundbar for the occassional film so it had to go.
    I went back to Richer Sounds who gave me a full refund even though I had opened the box and used the system

I am now the happy owner of a pair of these CA active speakers.

I connected the digital output from the TV to my DAC and the audio output to the speakers, they are in a nice Piano black finish which matches the TV. I have watched a blueray film and they were very good, not the earth shattering bass you expect from a sub but fast and deep enough for the occasional watch. They are great with TV too which was the main aim.

Just need a switch box which will take one input and switch between two outputs. The Maplins 4 input to one output won't work in reverse so I will need to find something else.

Real Name
     Phil
    Turn Table
     Voyd
    T/Arm & Cart
     HR100S, Decca SG DP
    SUT/Phono
     Prototype AI P2
    Digital Source 1
     CEC TL53Z
    Digital Source 2
     Thinkpad and rBlink
    DAC
     AN 1.1 Sig
    Speakers
     LV OBX-R2
    Pre Amp
     AN Jp M7
    Power Amp
     NAF 845 SET
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    I would suggest looking for one of the better Yamaha YSP Sound Projectors. A few months ago I picked up a Brand New Boxed (NOS) YSP-800 for 170 from a seller on AV Forums. It really was very good value IMO, has decent SQ/good bass and is fairly discreet. The equivalent new model would probably cost in the region of 800. Plenty of these come up on AV Forums and E-Bay.
    My Flickr Page: http://www.flickr.com/photos/philnmorgan/

When a man steals your wife, there is no better revenge than to let him keep her. (David Bissonette)

Real Name
     Chris
    Turn Table
     Gyro SE Oyaide MJ-12
    T/Arm & Cart
     Jelco 750 AT33EV/OC9
    SUT/Phono
     Icon Audio ps 1.2
    Digital Source 1
     C.A. SM6/Alva NF
    Digital Source 2
     Oppo BDP103D/dab500
    DAC
     C.A. SM6 + 5 more
    Integrated Amp
     M.F. x-can v8 AKG272
    Speakers
     X.T.Z. 99.36piano ii
    Pre Amp
     M.F. A1 fbp
    Power Amp
     XTZ AP100
    Headphones
     AT ATH AD700X
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Sound like a good result Kevin, as you've found the solution that seems to suit you best......How about a simple set of phono splitters as a fast temporary solution, to save constantly faffing wiv connections.....something like these... http://www.maplin.co.uk/gold-plated-...oadaptor-34195 ,could well be fine until you suss out a more permanent solution Or how about one of the cheaper dacs that are about, to use as a permanent hookup betwixt telly & active speakers?....something like this perhaps http://www.superfi.co.uk/p-3633-cyp-...converter.aspx , I daresay you may even find something a sight cheaper than this if you have a good squiz around
    Quote Originally Posted by Tel View Post
    Quick update to this thread.

I watched a blueray film using the soundbar and it was very good, I really enjoyed the film and it added to the experience. I started to think that I was being a bit hasty and perhaps I should keep it. I then watched a TV prog and all the things that p'ed me off the first time were still there. Unfortunately I don't want to just use the soundbar for the occassional film so it had to go.
    I went back to Richer Sounds who gave me a full refund even though I had opened the box and used the system

I am now the happy owner of a pair of these CA active speakers.

I connected the digital output from the TV to my DAC and the audio output to the speakers, they are in a nice Piano black finish which matches the TV. I have watched a blueray film and they were very good, not the earth shattering bass you expect from a sub but fast and deep enough for the occasional watch. They are great with TV too which was the main aim.

Just need a switch box which will take one input and switch between two outputs. The Maplins 4 input to one output won't work in reverse so I will need to find something else.
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa Lazarou View Post
    I would suggest looking for one of the better Yamaha YSP Sound Projectors. A few months ago I picked up a Brand New Boxed (NOS) YSP-800 for 170 from a seller on AV Forums. It really was very good value IMO, has decent SQ/good bass and is fairly discreet. The equivalent new model would probably cost in the region of 800. Plenty of these come up on AV Forums and E-Bay.
    Ta v much Phil....I reckon something like that would be just perfick for my Pa....& checking out AV Forums is a top idea

Cheers Fella

Chris ooooooooot

Real Name
     Andrew
    Turn Table
     Logic DM101
    Digital Source 1
     SBT/Theta/PT
    Integrated Amp
     Concordant / Krell
    Speakers
     Harbeth Compact
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    I would second Phils advice on the older Yamaha Soundbox units they were pretty expensive whehn they first came out but have dropped quite a bit on the second hand market. I have installed one for a friend and did the set up for him as well . I have to say if you take real care over the set up (leave the room while it is on so that you can turn the volume up and it does a very good job . Sound is good for non critical listening .
    System - Theta Data Basic II Transport - Squeezebox Touch Toolbox 3.0 Dynobot Mods - Antimode 2.0 Digital Room Equaliser - Concordant Exhilliarant Pre - Krell KSA 50 Amp - Harbeth Compact Monitors II

Real Name
     Chris
    Turn Table
     Gyro SE Oyaide MJ-12
    T/Arm & Cart
     Jelco 750 AT33EV/OC9
    SUT/Phono
     Icon Audio ps 1.2
    Digital Source 1
     C.A. SM6/Alva NF
    Digital Source 2
     Oppo BDP103D/dab500
    DAC
     C.A. SM6 + 5 more
    Integrated Amp
     M.F. x-can v8 AKG272
    Speakers
     X.T.Z. 99.36piano ii
    Pre Amp
     M.F. A1 fbp
    Power Amp
     XTZ AP100
    Headphones
     AT ATH AD700X
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Cheers Andrew,

I presume by the bit I've underlined that you're referring to the Auto room calibration etc?

After my playing around with the audio tools suite on my android tablet I've decided to investigate full version audio measurement software for my laptop, so I'll be getting a decent calibrated measuring mike this week prolly & hopefully sorting out the software too....I'll have to start a thread...I've already got a decent pro-interface (Alva Nanoface) so I'll be using that I'll prolly follow your suggestion & see what the auto calibration comes up with & then take measurements & tweak if necessary....this is for my Dad tho' & as it is I've already got a long backlog of techie stuff to do for him...I do reckon one of the Yammy soundbars will b pretty much perfeck for him & the Stepma

I've got to say tho' , I've now got a proper taste for doing some proper/accurate in room measurements & seeing what improvements I can make.....& it looks like the new mk. 2 crossovers have started to come on song on my main speaks now they have over a hundred hours on them....as it is there were really noticeable improvements from the get go....but over the W/end they've upped their game considerably further...which has been a really pleasant surprised, as over on Av forums people were generally claiming subtle but v worthwhile improvements....in truth tho' most peeps over on there seem to b running them in very AV "centric" systems.....& whilst I do have a pretty decent Av set up fully integrated into my main rig.....I do tend to see it as a bit of a "Sideshow" really , good as it is it's just not where the real action is for me....""....is the place I really like to be!!

Cheers Fella.

Chris aaaaaaaaaaarrrt

Quote Originally Posted by bencat View Post
    I would second Phils advice on the older Yamaha Soundbox units they were pretty expensive whehn they first came out but have dropped quite a bit on the second hand market. I have installed one for a friend and did the set up for him as well . I have to say if you take real care over the set up (leave the room while it is on so that you can turn the volume up and it does a very good job . Sound is good for non critical listening .
    Last edited by vacdac; 11-06-2012 at 01:50 PM.

Super Wammer
    Real Name
     Martyn
    Digital Source 1
     Densen B410
    Digital Source 2
     SB Touch
    DAC
     CA DacMagic Plus
    Integrated Amp
     Icon Audio Stereo 60
    Speakers
     WA Allegro
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    What about wall mounting the tv and therefore having a bit of extra shelf space to play with?