Event Opal
    Pre Amp
     None
    Power Amp
     In the speakers
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    [bluff] What, are you all stupid, isn't it obvious what it means????? [/bluff]
    I\'m a street walkin\' cheetah with a handful of napalm..

Real Name
     Ric
    Turn Table
     No
    T/Arm & Cart
     No
    SUT/Phono
     No
    Digital Source 1
     Yes
    Digital Source 2
     No
    DAC
     Yes
    Integrated Amp
     Yes
    Speakers
     Yes
    Pre Amp
     No
    Power Amp
     No
    Headphones
     Yes
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Quote Originally Posted by steve rb View Post
    Ric, any chance you could help me understand how to read that plot?
    Cheers
    Hi Steve,

I have only rudimentary knowledge but I'll do my best...
    This plot represents the "measurement" of a 11.025kHz tone generated (for want of a better word) at –6dBFS with 16/44,1 resolution as it's reproduced by the D/AC.
    The Squeezebox does a fine job at it with a reasonably short and narrow base, no sidebands and low noise floor, unlike the DACmagic when fed by the USB connection which shows visible sidebands (though possibly below the threshold of hearing or of musical program) and the "spike" appears to be a bit wide:

The vertical scale is not the same in both images so the visual comparison is not really that accurate.

I can't however tell you how the lesser performance of the DACmagic correlates with it's sonic performance but it should be responsible for some sort of signature.
    I hope this helps.

Cheers,
    Ric

- - - Updated - - -

P.S.: For an example of a poor performance try the Zanden 5000 review.
    Last edited by tuga; 16-06-2012 at 07:15 PM.
    "...man will occasionally stumble over the truth, but usually manages to pick himself up, walk over or around it, and carry on." - Winston Churchill

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    This is the Weiss DAC202's analog output signal: 11.025kHz at –6dBFS, sampled at 44.1kHz with LSB toggled at 229Hz via AES/EBU and TosLink. 16-bit data cyan and magenta traces...

This jitter output was unmeasurable.
    hollow log

Super Wammer
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Quote Originally Posted by barnacle bill View Post
    This is the Weiss DAC202's analog output signal: 11.025kHz at –6dBFS, sampled at 44.1kHz with LSB toggled at 229Hz via AES/EBU and TosLink. 16-bit data cyan and magenta traces...

This jitter output was unmeasurable.
    just to add in my ha'p'orth, the j test shows - as the rubric states- the effect of the 11 k tone and lsb toggled. This amounts in effect to a 229hz square wave. Thus as with all square waves we see the odd numbered harmonics at 458 hz intervals. These are the magenta lines. Anything else apart from the 11khz line and the 229 hz harmonics is spurious. If you compare the touch - its noise floor via analog out is too high to see more than the top of the 229 hz harmonics. There could be jitter buried in the noise floor.
    This illustrates the point that the j test shows Spuria of all sorts not just jitter. aFAIK it is a matter of interpretation to identify which spuriae are jitter related. As for which come from interface jitter, AFAIK this can only be shown by comparing the figures for different inputs. If they are the same for all inputs you may infer that the dac is immune to interface jitter.

Anyway this measures the analog out. No one seems to bother measuring S/PDif out these days. Hence the difficulty of applying figures to the conjecture that tweaks improve the SPDif out.

Real Name
     Tony
    Turn Table
     Linn LP12/Armageddon
    T/Arm & Cart
     Ekos/Klyde
    SUT/Phono
     Creek
    Digital Source 1
     Meridian 588
    Digital Source 2
     Sony Universal
    Speakers
     Quad ESL-57, LS3/5a
    Pre Amp
     EAR834, Quad 44
    Power Amp
     Quad II, Quad 606
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

During a recent bake-off (here) both Jim (JVS) and Steve (barneys dad) brought CD transports as I only have streaming PC based music now so couldn't accomodate playing CDs without them. Jim brought his Nagra, Steve his MF A1 CD pro, both very well regarded transports - both were fed with coax spdif into the same DAC, an Audiolab M-DAC.

I was using a Squeezebox Touch, streaming Apple lossless files from a dedicated PC server - again feeding via coax spdif into the same DAC.

It was a huge difference, it sounded much crisper, etched, detailed, perhaps a bit toppy by comparison but definitely the 'better' sound. And this just doesn't compute, what the hell, its the same disc, the same DAC, just the 1s and 0s coming into it could possibly be different. I rip every CD on it's highest settings using EAC and a non-buffered drive. I rip directly to FLAC in EAC and then use DBPoweramp pro to perform the simple switch over to Apple lossless. (I use this by the way as I've been using Itunes for ages, did tons of comparisons with Foobar, WASAPI, ASIO, etc etc and found feck all difference so switched back to the SBT. I've also still got all the FLACs so that's perhaps a comparison I'll make too).
    Sorry, I'm late to this party, but I've just bought a Squeezebox Touch, because I wanted to experiment (and I liked the idea of internet radio). I had some CDs on my laptop and I did a comparison with my Meridian 588, both playing through the same amp and speakers. No difference that I can hear. Now, perhaps the 588 isn't of the same quality as the ones mentioned, in which case I don't want anything better. To my nearly 65 year-old ears, the Squeezebox delivers a very acceptable sound, so perhaps I'll now buy downloads rather then fill up the house with CDs.
    The man with the golden ear trumpet

Super Wammer
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Quote Originally Posted by tones View Post
    Sorry, I'm late to this party, but I've just bought a Squeezebox Touch, because I wanted to experiment (and I liked the idea of internet radio). I had some CDs on my laptop and I did a comparison with my Meridian 588, both playing through the same amp and speakers. No difference that I can hear. Now, perhaps the 588 isn't of the same quality as the ones mentioned, in which case I don't want anything better. To my nearly 65 year-old ears, the Squeezebox delivers a very acceptable sound, so perhaps I'll now buy downloads rather then fill up the house with CDs.
    Congratulations- I hope you enjoy it

Real Name
     Teddy Ray
    Turn Table
     Rebuilt LAB 500
    T/Arm & Cart
     SHURE M3D
    SUT/Phono
     Custom Built Valve
    Digital Source 1
     Squeezebox Touch
    DAC
     Forssell MDAC-2
    Integrated Amp
     MasterSound/Bryston
    Speakers
     K&H 0300D
    Pre Amp
     In my DAC
    Power Amp
     In my Speakers.
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Quote Originally Posted by adamdea View Post
    Congratulations- I hope you enjoy it
    2nded. Tones age has brought with it a great wisdom, I see. His ears are smart, they don't hear differences that aren't there. Result!
    Be just and if you can't be just, be arbitrary- William S. Burroughs

Registered
    Real Name
     Andrew
    Turn Table
     Michell Orbe SE
    T/Arm & Cart
     TecnoArm / AT OC-9
    SUT/Phono
     Edwards Audio MC1 +
    Digital Source 1
     Arcam DV88
    Digital Source 2
     Squeezebox Touch
    DAC
     Stello DA220 MkII
    Speakers
     Monitor Audio S8i
    Pre Amp
     Plinius M8
    Power Amp
     Chord SPM 1000B
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    I've also only just come to this thread, and have been reading through bits of it with interest. I had previously thought that my SBT was as good as CD replay using my Arcam DV88, both being connected to my Stello DA220 mkII via co-axial SPDIF cables. Then I swapped my preamp to the Plinius M8 I purchased from a fellow Wammer.

I originally bought a separate DAC after being disappointed by the longevity of the laser in the DV88, and a replacement not being available - I didn't want to spend a lot on an expensive CD-player to have it fail after five years.

Experimentation with "transports" led me to believe that the quality of the input does affect the sound of the DAC. When the DV88 failed, I tried a cheap DVD player as a transport, but buying a Marantz CD5001 for £79 from Richers improved things. Then someone who I'd given an Arcam Alpha on indefinite load returned it, and that was better than the Marantz as a transport. Then I managed to repair the DV88 myself by adapting an IDE DVD-ROM drive, and that sounded better still.

When I initially bought the SBT, I didn't think it sounded as good as the DV88 - it sounded a bit dull and lifeless. Swapping the SPDIF cable and removing the "surge protector" trailing socket (which was causing my phono stage to hum) improved the sound. I also made all the changes computer audiophiles recommend - the software changes to the Touch, streaming WAVs from my NAS, using EAC to rip to FLAC, etc. I was happy that the SBT was as good as CD, and didn't think any more of it.

Then, last week, one of my favourite CDs (at 23-years old) began to skip on a track, so I ripped it with EAC. The "quality" of the rips was 100% for all tracks, apart from the one that skipped, which was 99%. I started listening to the rip, and went back to working on the PC, not really thinking that it would sound any different. It did. The main difference is the bass (which I didn't hear with my previous preamp) - there's more punch, weight and texture with the CD.

Further comparison with other tracks I'd ripped (for the first time since swapping the preamp) showed the CDs to sound better - in most cases with the bass, but the CDs sound more spacious and, well, enjoyable.

Now, I've read "Bad Science", and don't dismiss the idea of expectation, but like other posters, I wasn't expecting a difference - I wasn't even listening for a difference, I just thought I was going to listen to the album without the skipping.

Real Name
     Teddy Ray
    Turn Table
     Rebuilt LAB 500
    T/Arm & Cart
     SHURE M3D
    SUT/Phono
     Custom Built Valve
    Digital Source 1
     Squeezebox Touch
    DAC
     Forssell MDAC-2
    Integrated Amp
     MasterSound/Bryston
    Speakers
     K&H 0300D
    Pre Amp
     In my DAC
    Power Amp
     In my Speakers.
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    it doesnt matter whether or not you were expecting a difference. your mind expected one..and heard one
    Be just and if you can't be just, be arbitrary- William S. Burroughs

Real Name
     Tom
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Thought I'd post this here as I'm a true digital audio guy - fairly experienced at that - who has just had a bit of a shock

During a recent bake-off (here) both Jim (JVS) and Steve (barneys dad) brought CD transports as I only have streaming PC based music now so couldn't accomodate playing CDs without them. Jim brought his Nagra, Steve his MF A1 CD pro, both very well regarded transports - both were fed with coax spdif into the same DAC, an Audiolab M-DAC.

I was using a Squeezebox Touch, streaming Apple lossless files from a dedicated PC server - again feeding via coax spdif into the same DAC.

As there are two coax inputs it was a pretty simple affair to AB between the same track, which we did on the Nagra. It was a huge difference, it sounded much crisper, etched, detailed, perhaps a bit toppy by comparison but definitely the 'better' sound. And this just doesn't compute, what the hell, its the same disc, the same DAC, just the 1s and 0s coming into it could possibly be different. I rip every CD on it's highest settings using EAC and a non-buffered drive. I rip directly to FLAC in EAC and then use DBPoweramp pro to perform the simple switch over to Apple lossless. (I use this by the way as I've been using Itunes for ages, did tons of comparisons with Foobar, WASAPI, ASIO, etc etc and found feck all difference so switched back to the SBT. I've also still got all the FLACs so that's perhaps a comparison I'll make too).

I've had the Transporter, then moved to a dedicated server and itunes, been through a multitude of DACs which all brought tiny changes compared to the difference with the Nagra.

So, WTF is going on? Would really appreciate your comments, I'm still of the opinion that ANY transport could not be better then a properly implemented streamer, it just couldn't do the read on the fly better than EAC having multiple attempts..... Or am I wrong in this? Is it what happens to those bits during reads, ie the Nagra DOES do it better in one pass than EAC on a dedicated drive can 10 times (in which case I'm fucked as my whole library is ripped the same way..) or is it what happens to those bits during their passage to the DAC - in which case I need a better streamer....

All bloody frustrating, again,...

I can demonstrate this any day of the week (indeed I have demonstrated it), my Audio Note CDT2/II transport, into an Audio Note DAC, sounds easily and repeatably superior to my SBT playing the same tracks.

I'm not actually that interested in why this is the case (though I suspect it has a lot to do with the PSU and digital output transformer in the CD2/II.

Theorise as much as you like, it's plain as day even to people with no vested interest in the outcome or knowledge of the technologies involved (eg the wife).

Real Name
     Shaun
    Turn Table
     Gyro SE
    T/Arm & Cart
     SME IV / Phoenix
    SUT/Phono
     Audio South / P10
    Digital Source 1
     Quad 99 CDP2
    Digital Source 2
     Airport Express
    Integrated Amp
     EAR Yoshino 8L6
    Speakers
     Tannoy Turnberry HE
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Was she doing the dishes at the time? I'm afraid it's not a valid wife benchmark if not.
    If you're reading a thread I've created it's probably to do with something breaking or not going to plan again.

Real Name
     Mark
    Turn Table
     Acoustic Solid Wood
    T/Arm & Cart
     AN Arm III/Io Gold
    SUT/Phono
     Allnic H1500
    Digital Source 1
     Modwright TP
    Speakers
     Avantgarde Uno Nano
    Pre Amp
     Kondo M7
    Power Amp
     LV Argento
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    The thread's dead, Zed.
    “We had an audiophile living on our street, until his house accidentally burned down.”

Kondo mafia
    http://www.last.fm/user/browellm

Real Name
     Paul
    Turn Table
     StSt Motus II
    T/Arm & Cart
     ANUK Io Ltd & Arm 3
    SUT/Phono
     SFz/Aurorasound Vida
    Speakers
     Tune Audio Primes
    Pre Amp
     ANJ - M7
    Power Amp
     Valvet A1r monos atm
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Quote Originally Posted by browellm View Post
    The thread's dead, Zed.
    Who's Zed?
    I think Santa Claus is dead....

Real Name
     Mark
    Turn Table
     Acoustic Solid Wood
    T/Arm & Cart
     AN Arm III/Io Gold
    SUT/Phono
     Allnic H1500
    Digital Source 1
     Modwright TP
    Speakers
     Avantgarde Uno Nano
    Pre Amp
     Kondo M7
    Power Amp
     LV Argento
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Quote Originally Posted by pmac View Post
    Who's Zed?
    Who isn't, these days?
    “We had an audiophile living on our street, until his house accidentally burned down.”

Kondo mafia
    http://www.last.fm/user/browellm

Real Name
     Paul
    Turn Table
     StSt Motus II
    T/Arm & Cart
     ANUK Io Ltd & Arm 3
    SUT/Phono
     SFz/Aurorasound Vida
    Speakers
     Tune Audio Primes
    Pre Amp
     ANJ - M7
    Power Amp
     Valvet A1r monos atm
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Fantastic film

I think Santa Claus is dead....

Registered
    Real Name
     Andrew
    Turn Table
     Michell Orbe SE
    T/Arm & Cart
     TecnoArm / AT OC-9
    SUT/Phono
     Edwards Audio MC1 +
    Digital Source 1
     Arcam DV88
    Digital Source 2
     Squeezebox Touch
    DAC
     Stello DA220 MkII
    Speakers
     Monitor Audio S8i
    Pre Amp
     Plinius M8
    Power Amp
     Chord SPM 1000B
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Isn't it curious how all the ill-mannered posters are on the same side of the debate?

Since my post, I tried swapping the cables connecting the SBT and DVD-player, and also swapping the inputs they use on the DAC. To my mind (see what I did there?), the results were the same - CDs sounded consistently better.

So then, I reset the Squeezebox. I use the Soundcheck mods with the tt -k switch, so I needed to reset it to make any changes. Immediately it sounded better. The only change that doesn't persist after the reset is the one I added from another page to change the priority of the SPDIF process.

Real Name
     John
    Turn Table
     Inspire Vivid LP12
    T/Arm & Cart
     Ittok LVII, Supex
    SUT/Phono
     GSAudio Elevator EXP
    Digital Source 1
     MF NuVista3D JSAudio
    Digital Source 2
     SBT+ Synology DS112+
    Integrated Amp
     MF M3 NuVista
    Speakers
     Celestion A3 Santos
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    My 4 year old son spilled some tomato ketchup on my SBT soon after I purchased it earlier this year. Now I'm not saying that my mind expected this to change the sound, but it certainly did. The overall soundstage is distinctly fruity, and there is a satisfying rich flavour to the overall midrange balance.

This has caused me to further experiment using a variety of sauces and other condiments. Paprika does wonders for Bartok and Kodaly, really spicing up the sound. Reggae Reggae sauce in large quantities really fills out Bob Marley, particularly in the bottom register. Edith Piaf and Charles Trenet benefit from a liberal spreading of garlic butter all over the touch screen.

I'm going to try out placing the SBT in the dust bag of my vacuum cleaner, to see if this cleans up the treble.

I've never had results like this with any CDP.

Current Loudspeaker List now shrinking - Celestion A3, Celestion A1, Celestion Ditton 44, KEF Ref 105.2, KEF Ref 104ab, Yamaha NS1000M, B&W DM7, B&W DM4, B&W DM2a, B&W DM2000, B&W DM14, B&W CM4, Mission 770.

The circle of Cloffo rmsshipbroker's Avatar
    Real Name
     Steve
    Turn Table
     Technics SL1210
    T/Arm & Cart
     AN Arm 2 + IQ3
    SUT/Phono
     An Kit MM stage
    Digital Source 1
     AN CDT-Two
    DAC
     AN DAC 2.1x Balanced
    Integrated Amp
     AN Oto SE Phono Sig
    Speakers
     Audio Note J LX
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Quote Originally Posted by themadlatvian View Post
    My 4 year old son spilled some tomato ketchup on my SBT soon after I purchased it earlier this year. Now I'm not saying that my mind expected this to change the sound, but it certainly did. The overall soundstage is distinctly fruity, and there is a satisfying rich flavour to the overall midrange balance.

This has caused me to further experiment using a variety of sauces and other condiments. Paprika does wonders for Bartok and Kodaly, really spicing up the sound. Reggae Reggae sauce in large quantities really fills out Bob Marley, particularly in the bottom register. Edith Piaf and Charles Trenet benefit from a liberal spreading of garlic butter all over the touch screen.

I'm going to try out placing the SBT in the dust bag of my vacuum cleaner, to see if this cleans up the treble.

I've never had results like this with any CDP.
    Very interesting results John.
    I have of course been spreading jam on my CDs before playing ever since that episode of Tomorrows World.
    After your experiences I will now try other spreads such as Nutella and Marmite!
    Testing sofas to destruction since 1961

Real Name
     Greg
    Turn Table
     SME Model 10/12se
    T/Arm & Cart
     SME 312S & TBA
    SUT/Phono
     Leben RS30EQ
    Digital Source 1
     Cambridge 650BD
    DAC
     Arcam airDAC
    Integrated Amp
     Leben CS300XS
    Speakers
     Tannoy Kensington SE
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Quote Originally Posted by rmsshipbroker View Post
    Very interesting results John.
    I have of course been spreading jam on my CDs before playing ever since that episode of Tomorrows World.
    After your experiences I will now try other spreads such as Nutella and Marmite!
    I find jam gives a hard, etched sound to CDs. I expect it's the acid from the fruit 'etching' around the bits