SJS 1.5 Special
    Power Amp
     Airtight 211 MBs
    Headphones
     Dr Dre da Beats
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     Yes

Wills and Solicitors

Any experience here from those who have been through the provess of dealing with a will? is it simple enough to not require a solicitor to discharge the will?

In my case there is only my sister and i and my dad has a Will. It is very simple and splits assets equally with a small amount going to one or two others. I assume it is easy enough for me and my sister to discharge this will.

be good to know other's thoughts.

Real Name
     Terry
    Turn Table
     Project Debut 3 (SE)
    T/Arm & Cart
     Ortofon 2M Blue
    SUT/Phono
     Edwards Audio
    Digital Source 1
     Shanling CD-T80
    Integrated Amp
     Marantz 7001 KI
    Speakers
     Ruark Prologue II
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    There are plenty of on-line wills. The biggest issue we have found is finding an executor. If you can find one that can withstand a challenge of independence then it is quite easy to do one without the need of a solicitor. Having said that, there are many areas that may need advice on the wording in order for your wishes to be fullfilled. A phrase or word misplaced could make a world of difference if it was challenged.

My wife and I have done our own on-line. We are reasonably confident that our use of language will reduce any conflict from misinterpretation. Plus we have an Executor that we trust and the family trust.
    "Hey Pastor, isn't it great to see Williams doing so well ?"

Real Name
     Karl
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    My Dads will was an online version (minutewill IIRC), I was the executor, it was very straight forward, and got through the whole probate in about 4 months. Make sure you have plenty of copies of the death certificates (when the time comes) and plenty of copies of the Grant of representation, they dont cost much, so ask for a few extras. The probate & tax forms are a bit of a slog, but it's not so bad.

Most everything you need to know here

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/governme...th/dg_10029808
    Last edited by karlinamillion; 10-06-2012 at 05:49 PM.
    If it ain't going in, it ain't coming out

Real Name
     Graeme
    Turn Table
     Rega Planar 2
    T/Arm & Cart
     RB300, 2M Black
    Digital Source 1
     Quad 99 CDP-2
    Digital Source 2
     Squeezebox Touch
    Speakers
     NS1000s, JR149s ...
    Power Amp
     Hmm where to start ?
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     Yes
    If your dad has named a third-party executor (bank, solicitor etc) in his will make very sure that he understands what they will charge. A few percent of the estate might not sound like much but if there's a house involved it will be thousands and thousands of pounds. And once the process starts, after the death, the executor holds a lot of legal rights and may want to run things their way rather than yours. It's easy to remove executors at this stage but becomes more difficult (=expensive) later. I submitted the probate application for my mum's estate last week. There was a fair degree of faff involved with the form-filling but nothing too taxing. And if I had needed professional help I would have been in a much stronger position to negotiate the best deal with a solicitor because I was the executor and they would be working for me.

VB

Real Name
     Usually guilty
    Turn Table
     Garrard 301
    T/Arm & Cart
     SME M2-12
    SUT/Phono
     Hashimoto/SJS phono
    Digital Source 1
    Digital Source 2
     Nag MP500
    DAC
     supex d900 mkII
    Integrated Amp
     N.A.F. 300b Supreme
    Speakers
     CoCo's fave KEFs
    Pre Amp
     SJS 1.5 Special
    Power Amp
     Airtight 211 MBs
    Headphones
     Dr Dre da Beats
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     Yes
    Thanks VB, that was the question i was trying to ask. My dad aleady has a will and a friend of his suggested he name an executor. I said i would ask around and see what others thought....sounds easy enough to do on our own, a few forms won't trip me up, years of Civuil Service training me Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks Karl and Terry too

Real Name
     Kevin
    Turn Table
     Kuzma Stabi S
    T/Arm & Cart
     Stogi, AN Io
    SUT/Phono
     Audio Note S6c
    Digital Source 1
     Rega Saturn
    Digital Source 2
     SBT
    DAC
     Rega
    Speakers
     LV OBX-R2
    Pre Amp
     Audio Note M3
    Power Amp
     CocoSan 300B PP Mono
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    I am in similar situation with my parents Bob.
    My brother and I are the only beneficiaries and I have been named as the executor.

I don't envisage any major problems.
    "We could have saved the Earth but we were too damned cheap" Kurt Vonnegut

Wammer
    Real Name
     guess...
    Turn Table
     Rega Planar 2
    Digital Source 1
     Squeezebox touch
    Integrated Amp
     Unisis Signature
    Speakers
     Triangle Comete
    Quote Originally Posted by BobC View Post
    Thanks VB, that was the question i was trying to ask. My dad aleady has a will and a friend of his suggested he name an executor. I said i would ask around and see what others thought....sounds easy enough to do on our own, a few forms won't trip me up, years of Civuil Service training me Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks Karl and Terry too
    I was executor on my mum's will. I spoke to a friendly solicitor who told me to do it all myself - that he costs would be exhorbitant. Haven't hit too many problems yet <fingers crossed>

Real Name
     Graeme
    Turn Table
     Rega Planar 2
    T/Arm & Cart
     RB300, 2M Black
    Digital Source 1
     Quad 99 CDP-2
    Digital Source 2
     Squeezebox Touch
    Speakers
     NS1000s, JR149s ...
    Power Amp
     Hmm where to start ?
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     Yes
    In my mum's case she named the bank, and my stepfather who died before she did, as her only executors. We paid the bank to go away (much cheaper than letting them stay, but 120 for a single signed A4 sheet still felt like a lot). Anyway that meant that there were then no executors. My siblings and I have applied for probate as 'administrators'. In practice this means we can allocate my mum's estate exactly as we would if we were executors. However I think (remember I'm definitely not an expert in this) it means we don't have any administrative rights until probate has been granted. If I'm right about this then effectively nobody has been responsible for the estate from the time my mum died up to the time that we get the 'grant of representation'. In practice this hasn't caused us any real trouble. We were able to extend the insurance on the property, for example, and close my mum's gas, electric and phone accounts even though we seem to have no legal status. They just asked us if we were the executors and we said no, but we were applying for the grant and would act like executors to all intents and purposes. I would have felt that I was on stronger ground though if I really had been named as an executor in the will. In fact it was only due to incompetence on the bank's part that we got our hands on the will at all. It had been lodged with my mum's local (tiny) branch and the chap in charge wasn't familiar with the process. So when we asked if we could have the original copy of the will he had to 'phone a friend'. The friend (who turned out to be the wrong person in the bank's hierarchy) told him 'Yes'. So he gave us the will and we left. When the right person found out she was furious and tried to get us to give them the will back. I called a friendly solicitor and when she'd stopped laughing she said 'Tell them you'll see them in court'. We heard nothing more from them. I believe that if we'd been the executors though we could have obtained the will with no trouble. It matters because you need the original to apply for probate. A copy won't do.

VB

Too much time on my hands SergeAuckland's Avatar
    Real Name
     Serge
    Turn Table
     EMT948, TRS9000, 401
    T/Arm & Cart
     AT33ML, TSD15, MC-15
    Digital Source 1
     SBT
    Digital Source 2
     Meridian 206
    DAC
     DEQ & CDQ
    Speakers
     Active B&W 801F
    Pre Amp
     Meridian 501
    Power Amp
     3 x Behringer A500
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Unless the estate is large and/or complicated, there's no reason one can't do it oneself, so no need to use solicitors except for specific things like conveyancy. I would avoid at all costs naming a Bank as Executor as the costs are very high, and they will take far longer, as they have no incentive to be quick. They will run the Estate for their convenience, not for that of the beneficiaries.

I've now handled two estates as Executor, and in both cases they were straight-forward. If there's no Inheritance Tax to pay the forms are simple, if there is, the forms are longer but still not that difficult.

S.

Real Name
     Mike
    Turn Table
     Brass one
    SUT/Phono
     valve
    Digital Source 1
     Italian valved
    Digital Source 2
     new fangled digital
    Integrated Amp
     French
    Speakers
     Old
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    If it is a straight 'division of estate' then you can do it yourself quite easily. It starts to get complicated when you want to leave specific items to specific people and are concerned about allowing for that in division of other items.

My father in law had a neat trick - kids were to distribute items between themselves and if there was any dispute the item would be sold and the price split between the three of them. That helped prevent any bickering!

Banned
    Turn Table
     No thanks
    Digital Source 1
     LMS
    Digital Source 2
     Spotify
    Pre Amp
     Yes
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    I administered my Dad's estate after he died, as a benficiary and and executor. Pretty straightforward. Register death and get plenty copies of Death Certificate; find will; obtain probate; administer estate to beneficieries (according to will if expressly stated, using best judgement otherwise). Notifying all the various utlities, authorities, and pensions folk is the slog - that's why you need plenty copies of DC. One of them may get it wrong and start sending snotty demand letters to the deceased - quite upsetting for some, i found it funny, and easily solved with phone call -and another copy of DC.

A sad but strangely cathartic process in my experience. Lawyers fees unecessary imo for what is an administrative task.

Off/on topic - I donated his last hi fi to his fav pub - Marantz CD63SE K1 sig, K1 sig integrated amp and small pair Tannoys - as no one else wanted them. Seemed fitting.
    Last edited by Pelagic; 11-06-2012 at 03:20 PM.