Computer
    Integrated Amp
     Lepy LP-2020A
    Speakers
     JBL Control One
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

The Euro 2012 discussion thread

No Euro 2012 thread? Hasn't exactly set the Wam alight...

Today's topic for discussin': How many goals will France beat England by? I reckon by three goals.

Real Name
     James
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    I think the Euro will survive 2012. I doubt Greece will drop out of it now.
    "Hugely affable" - Esquire Magazine :-)

Super Wammer
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Hat trick for carroll when he comes on in the 75th minute.
    Only downside is france will be 5-0 up by then.

I'll go for the draw. 1-1.

Real Name
     Chris
    Turn Table
     'fraid none
    Digital Source 1
     UnisonResearch Primo
    Integrated Amp
     Prima Luna Dialogue2
    Speakers
     Opera Prima
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    I reckon it's gonna be a draw.

Real Name
     Duke of Steepletone
    Turn Table
     Gathering dust
    Digital Source 1
     Computer
    Integrated Amp
     Lepy LP-2020A
    Speakers
     JBL Control One
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Today's second topic for discussin': How many times will the topic of England not being able to keep possession of the ball be brought up by the media (and callers to TalkSport) after England lose? I reckon 4,347 times.

Real Name
     Mike
    Turn Table
     Brass one
    SUT/Phono
     valve
    Digital Source 1
     Italian valved
    Digital Source 2
     new fangled digital
    Integrated Amp
     French
    Speakers
     Old
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    And another amusing (but highly accurate) Chris Waddle rant...?

Real Name
     Charlie
    Turn Table
     BLACK LP12-Pro-Ject
    Digital Source 1
     Naim CD5i-CD7300
    Integrated Amp
     Naim5i-PM7200
    Speakers
     CV V15F-Kans
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    I agree that IMO since 1966 this is the best TV international footie tourney.
    'Sometimes via the senses, mostly in the mind' (or pocket)...

Real Name
     Craig
    Digital Source 1
     Spotify
    DAC
     Naim Mu-So
    Integrated Amp
     Naim Mu-So
    Speakers
     Naim Mu-So
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    If you're starting point is - and mine is - that we're shit and we know we are, then that was an OK performance.

With no ball-playing midfielder we kept posession as poorly as I expected us to (though whether Glen Johnson was under instruction to hoof the ball down the line EVERY FRIKKIN TIME HE HAD POSSESSION or whether he was double guessing Roy's wishes I dunno)

I like Roy's structured approach to the game, as it gets mediocre teams playing above their level, and IMHO we are a very mediocre team.

However, it would have been nice to see Milner come to the left and stop that rather impressive Right Back who was making some cracking runs own the wing, and send Ox over to the right - Evra was crying out to be run at and ripped a new one: Ribery wasn't offering a great deal on the left.

Don't know that it would have won the game for us, but would have been nice to see some flexibility during the game (whilst keeping to the 4411 straight jacket)

Looking forward to seeing if Russia can keep their form up tonight: they looked a stonkingly good team against the Czech's, and the game against Poland should be pretty tasty - Poland really have to go for it now

Real Name
     Chris
    Turn Table
     'fraid none
    Digital Source 1
     UnisonResearch Primo
    Integrated Amp
     Prima Luna Dialogue2
    Speakers
     Opera Prima
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Win for the Russkies tonight...

Real Name
     Mike
    Turn Table
     Brass one
    SUT/Phono
     valve
    Digital Source 1
     Italian valved
    Digital Source 2
     new fangled digital
    Integrated Amp
     French
    Speakers
     Old
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    England were OK. England have all the experience at the back without much experience in attack and I think it showed. I was surprised though that several times Milner got the ball on the wing and immediately slowed the game down whereas he seemed to have the space to rip at the French. With a few more internationals under their belt Chamberlain and Young could develop the knack of finding space that will encourage that? Maybe Rooney coming back will give that.

Real Name
     Rob
    Turn Table
     Technics SL1200mk2
    T/Arm & Cart
     DL-103R PRESENTLY
    SUT/Phono
     ARKLESS/VLAD CA640P
    Digital Source 1
     Sony DVP9000ES
    Integrated Amp
     NAD 3020B
    Speakers
     Rogers LS4a on loan
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    I think England are always excruciating to watch, who ever manages them. We always defend badly ("hey opposing side come and have a kick at our goal...."), we don't keep possession well, pass to long and we are boring, rigid and predictable on the attack.

I think 1-1 against France (who are much better than us) can be considered a small victory.

P.s I really hope we do well this time!

P.p.s Disclaimer, I don't know any thing about football so read with with this in mind!

Real Name
     Andrew
    Turn Table
     Logic DM101
    Digital Source 1
     SBT/Theta/PT
    Integrated Amp
     Concordant / Krell
    Speakers
     Harbeth Compact
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    England got a result rather better than was expected but in truth the French were pacing themselves in the heat and did just about enough to get the draw from this they wanted . England and in paticular the midfield expended huge amounts of energy in the heat just to keep the french at bay and given the ages of Gerrard and Parker you do wonder if they will be able to offer that sort of gut busting effort in four days time ?
    I have to say that James Milner is the perfect Roy Hodgson player works hard gets the ball and does not know what to do with it. Would have prefered to have seen both Chamberlain and Walcott on the wings both going at the French as the back four does not look that special .
    England while they defended and worked hard were just not quick or threatening enough going forward and too rigid in keeping their positions. This worked with France but against Sweden and Ukraine we will need to be creative and score to ensure that we get the 5 points it will take to get to the next round.
    Italy (a very unfancied side coming in to this tournament) showed how you can be tight and hard to break down but also kept the ball when they got it and had a threat .
    System - Theta Data Basic II Transport - Squeezebox Touch Toolbox 3.0 Dynobot Mods - Antimode 2.0 Digital Room Equaliser - Concordant Exhilliarant Pre - Krell KSA 50 Amp - Harbeth Compact Monitors II

Real Name
     Craig
    Digital Source 1
     Spotify
    DAC
     Naim Mu-So
    Integrated Amp
     Naim Mu-So
    Speakers
     Naim Mu-So
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Quote Originally Posted by bencat View Post
    England while they defended and worked hard were just not quick or threatening enough going forward and too rigid in keeping their positions. This worked with France but against Sweden and Ukraine we will need to be creative and score to ensure that we get the 5 points it will take to get to the next round.
    Agree with this.

*Armchair tactician hat on*

I'm not Ashley Young's biggest fan, but if he is gonna play in that role, I'd much rather see him deeper or on the wing, as we failed to get the ball to him a great deal, much less so in dangerous positions.

Milner was very disciplined, but you don't play for Fergie without learning a bit about discipline. Young and Walcott on the wings please, with Milner as a 5th man in midfield, Gerrard moved 5 metres up the field and Wellbeck up front. When Rooney comes back, drop Milner, withdraw Gerrard and let Rooney fill the hole.

*Archair tactician hat now removed*

Harvesting tears
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    I have got to say, I do not like the way RH sets up his full backs - see Craig's hoofing post above. It's not just England, it was the same at Liverpool.

Cole/Johnson are two of our best attacking assets and he plays them ultra cautious. When interviewed yesterday, you could see how delighted he was with his 1-1 yesterday. The guy revels in mediocrity.
    Find me over at Britain's premier AGA and Volvo discussion forum. Now with added Greyhound extract.

Real Name
     Mike
    Turn Table
     Brass one
    SUT/Phono
     valve
    Digital Source 1
     Italian valved
    Digital Source 2
     new fangled digital
    Integrated Amp
     French
    Speakers
     Old
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    In these competitions I feel that England don't believe in themselves enough. One game that sticks in my mind as typical was the quarter final (?) against Brazil in the World Cup (2002?). England for my mind were playing extremely well for 25 minutes and were controlling the game well. They scored and I thought looked good for a win. But as soon as Brazil scored it was like they suddenly did not really believe they could do it playing the same way so relied on the age old tactic of fall back and rely on the long ball game to find the strikers which only allowed Brazil back in. Last night's game seemed to follow the same sort of pattern - it is that change in metality that I find so frustrating and is completely the opposite to Germany and Italy who just keep to the system knowing that it works and will eventually pay off. Relentless.

Harvesting tears
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    We score first, crap ourselves, drop deep and get pulverised for 60 minutes. To be fair, that's been going on for years not just a Hodgson thing. Like you say it's a confidence/mentality/psyche issue. The Germans would be strutting around like peacocks after going 1 up.

Anyway enough of this football nonsense. I've seen literally every woman in the crowd at every game so far and these two are winning so far:

Find me over at Britain's premier AGA and Volvo discussion forum. Now with added Greyhound extract.

Real Name
     Feather
    Turn Table
     Avid Acutus
    T/Arm & Cart
     SME V / Airtight PC1
    SUT/Phono
     Whest PS30 R
    Digital Source 1
     SB Touch
    DAC
     Micromega Mydac
    Speakers
     Kharma Ce 2.3
    Pre Amp
     ModWright LS36.5
    Power Amp
     Plinius SA103
    Headphones
     Senns 600 HD
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Pretty even for the first 30 mins and then we scored . We then played too deep and conceded and that was the tone for the rest of the match.

Just noticed Marks post and of course agree
    First pressings son !

Super Wammer
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Really could have done with sweeden winning last night.

Real Name
     Craig
    Digital Source 1
     Spotify
    DAC
     Naim Mu-So
    Integrated Amp
     Naim Mu-So
    Speakers
     Naim Mu-So
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Agreed: the dropping-deep /cacking-the-pants problem is the disease of the team which no coach has managed to recitify and none will. Were we conditioned to keep the ball and control the tempo of a game, we would surely be much better. But that's what our PL teams buy Johnny Foreigner for.

As for those two pictures My mind is putting wallpaper paste over number two's chin. Number two is diddling with Mrs Craig while they both watch

Turn Table
     LP12 SE
    SUT/Phono
     Linn Urika
    Digital Source 1
     Bel Canto CD3t
    Digital Source 2
     Fiio X5
    DAC
     Le 400
    Integrated Amp
     Devialet 400
    Speakers
     Neat Ultimatum MF7
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Number 1 gets my vote

As for the footie - mundane mediocre stuff from England. Surprised at France.
    Sweden defo need something from their next game - mind you they look just as ordinary as england.
    Hopefull Schevchenko aged 35 will be completely burnt out by game 3.

If all the England group games are in Ukraine why are the squad staying in Poland ?
    Ridicule is nothing to be scared of