Audio Emotion  Epiphany Acoustics 
    Super Wammer
    Real Name
     Chris
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Rasberry Pi for AV?

I should be taking delivery of my Rasberry Pi sometime soon. Only cost me around 30. I'm going to have a play around with it and see if it peforms well as a dedicated A/V server. It is capable of high def video playback (via HDMI) and also has a 3.5mm audio jack. The O/S (Linux) boots from an SD card, but I should be able to connect a HDD via a USB hub.
    Tomorrow belongs to those who can see it coming.
    Chris.

Wammer
    Real Name
     Gaz
    Turn Table
     SL1210
    Digital Source 1
     SBTouch
    DAC
     MF M1DAC
    Integrated Amp
     Puresound/AVI
    Speakers
     MA s6
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Quote Originally Posted by zebra100 View Post
    I should be taking delivery of my Rasberry Pi sometime soon. Only cost me around 30. I'm going to have a play around with it and see if it peforms well as a dedicated A/V server. It is capable of high def video playback (via HDMI) and also has a 3.5mm audio jack. The O/S (Linux) boots from an SD card, but I should be able to connect a HDD via a USB hub.
    I was thinking of doing this next. Theres a guy who's released instructions on installing Logitech Media Server (squeezeserver) on there too so that you can run that onnected to an external drive or NAS.
    Build a lego case and jobs a good 'un!

Super Wammer
    Real Name
     Chris
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Just noticed the typo/duff spelling in the title, but can't edit posts at work for some reason....... Could you Mod's please work your magic? Ta..
    Tomorrow belongs to those who can see it coming.
    Chris.

Super Wammer
    Real Name
     Chris
    Digital Source 1
     SBT + NAS
    Digital Source 2
     Edirol UA-25
    DAC
     Behringer SRC2496
    Integrated Amp
     Roksan Kandy III
    Speakers
     Quad ESL2805
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    I am part way through following the following instructions for installing a media server:

http://wiki.openelec.tv/index.php?ti...r_Raspberry_Pi

(The project is on hold until my order for memory cards arrives.)

Note that the sound drivers for the standard Debian OS are still considered experimental and not enabled by default.

I am impressed by the device so far - not least because it is almost impossible to brick it. Also, it can be used with different software simply by changing the memory card. This makes is very easy to experiment with it.
    Last edited by chris217; 30-06-2012 at 03:37 PM. Reason: Typo

Wammer
    Don't expect it to do smooth playback of decent bitrate 1080p. Many people saying it struggles.
    AV kit: JVC HD1 Projector, Yamaha RX-V775, MA Bronze 7.1 speakers, 2 x DIY 15" Sealed Subs, Sony BD370, HTPC.
    Stereo: HTPC - TEAC UDH-01 DAC, Marantz 6100 Monoblock Amps, MA B4 Speakers.

Super Wammer
    Real Name
     Chris
    Digital Source 1
     SBT + NAS
    Digital Source 2
     Edirol UA-25
    DAC
     Behringer SRC2496
    Integrated Amp
     Roksan Kandy III
    Speakers
     Quad ESL2805
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Quote Originally Posted by drummerjohn View Post
    Don't expect it to do smooth playback of decent bitrate 1080p. Many people saying it struggles.
    I only run at 720p. The video element is very much secondary for me; my TV screen is much smaller than my speakers!

TBH, I obtained the RPi mainly for fun (although it may come in useful at work).

Wammer
    Real Name
     Gaz
    Turn Table
     SL1210
    Digital Source 1
     SBTouch
    DAC
     MF M1DAC
    Integrated Amp
     Puresound/AVI
    Speakers
     MA s6
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Quote Originally Posted by chris217 View Post
    I only run at 720p. The video element is very much secondary for me; my TV screen is much smaller than my speakers!

TBH, I obtained the RPi mainly for fun (although it may come in useful at work).
    I ordered mine today. Will be good to have a play with getting different apps/builds of various PVR/XBMC/squeezebox server and other audio stuff going on it - more as a bit of fun than for any serious watching really.

Super Wammer
    Real Name
     Chris
    Digital Source 1
     SBT + NAS
    Digital Source 2
     Edirol UA-25
    DAC
     Behringer SRC2496
    Integrated Amp
     Roksan Kandy III
    Speakers
     Quad ESL2805
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    I have finally gotten around to installing OpenELEC on my RPi. Initial impressions are favourable. It is currently serving audio from my NAS through the HDMI input to my television. (Both UPnP and NFS work.) I have not yet tried using the RPi audio output. A very brief experiment with video playback was also successful.

The screen is readable from my listening position on the other side of the room . The 'remote control' is currently a Logitech K400 wireless combined keyboard and mouse, which works well.

BTW: I would recommend using the fastest SD card you can get your hands on. The speed 10 card I am currently using is very noticeably faster than the speed 4 card I started with.

Real Name
     Paul
    Turn Table
     StSt Motus II
    T/Arm & Cart
     Io Ltd & Arm 3
    SUT/Phono
     SFz/Aurorasound Vida
    Speakers
     Tune Audio Prime
    Pre Amp
     M7
    Power Amp
     Coco SIT/Canary 300B
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    I have finally gotten around to installing OpenELEC on my RPi. Initial impressions are favourable. It is currently serving audio from my NAS through the HDMI input to my television. (Both UPnP and NFS work.) I have not yet tried using the RPi audio output. A very brief experiment with video playback was also successful.

The screen is readable from my listening position on the other side of the room . The 'remote control' is currently a Logitech K400 wireless combined keyboard and mouse, which works well.

BTW: I would recommend using the fastest SD card you can get your hands on. The speed 10 card I am currently using is very noticeably faster than the speed 4 card I started with.
    I rarely view this part of the Wam and now I know why..... I don't understand a fucking word of your post. Ah well, back to the stereo
    Take it with a pinch of salt

Super Wammer
    Real Name
     Chris
    Digital Source 1
     SBT + NAS
    Digital Source 2
     Edirol UA-25
    DAC
     Behringer SRC2496
    Integrated Amp
     Roksan Kandy III
    Speakers
     Quad ESL2805
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Quote Originally Posted by pmac View Post
    I rarely view this part of the Wam and now I know why..... I don't understand a fucking word of your post. Ah well, back to the stereo
    Ah, the problems of being at the (b)leading edge of technology.

Having played a bit more, the RPi is possibly slightly underpowered for use as a serious media centre - although any sort of media centre for under forty quid seems like quite a bargain to me.

Wammer
    Ah, the problems of being at the (b)leading edge of technology.

Having played a bit more, the RPi is possibly slightly underpowered for use as a serious media centre - although any sort of media centre for under forty quid seems like quite a bargain to me.
    Yep - it is underpowered. For another 40 you can get a WDTV live. Plays everything without issue and you don't have to spend days of your life tinkering to make\keep it working.
    AV kit: JVC HD1 Projector, Yamaha RX-V775, MA Bronze 7.1 speakers, 2 x DIY 15" Sealed Subs, Sony BD370, HTPC.
    Stereo: HTPC - TEAC UDH-01 DAC, Marantz 6100 Monoblock Amps, MA B4 Speakers.

Super Wammer
    Real Name
     Chris
    Digital Source 1
     SBT + NAS
    Digital Source 2
     Edirol UA-25
    DAC
     Behringer SRC2496
    Integrated Amp
     Roksan Kandy III
    Speakers
     Quad ESL2805
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Quote Originally Posted by drummerjohn View Post
    Yep - it is underpowered. For another 40 you can get a WDTV live. Plays everything without issue and you don't have to spend days of your life tinkering to make\keep it working.
    But the tinkering is a large part of the fun!

Seriously, having compiled OpenELEC from source, I have the possibility of customising or extending it to my needs.