Pre Amp
     Triode-3, SS-1
    Power Amp
     SE-3, PP-2, SS-2, 1D
    Headphones
     LOL
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    I am a speaker-sicko alright. Even though delirious with diarrhea today I still had time to chase down an overseas Quadral distributor for details on how to import the Altans, in the event Quadral fails to pick up Tipocan dealership by next year. It can be done. That would bring the price closer to £1.6k but I'm fairly obsessed with the Altans now. In fact I sssso want to do the Altans now, if only to kill my swizzie wammate and his rust-coloured speakers with envy (hi ).

But I need to address non-speaker concerns first and not misdirect the hifi budget. I'd better keep the Altans to 2012 and look forward to an ATC CA2 demo for now. Self-restraint, self-restraint...

170 days to go. Countdown begins...

SS
    CONRAD-JOHNSON HD3 & ET3SE > SUN SV-2A3 L.E. 25th Anniv. SE Class A | NAIM DAC V1 > C-J CLASSIC 60SE PP
    PRIMARE DAC30 > AYRE K-5xeMP > 6V6GT SE Class A | audiolab M-DAC
    > ICON AUDIO LA4 MKIII > EL84 SE Class A
    MUSICAL FIDELITY X-T100
    (modded valve pre) > GENESIS Advanced Tech. M60 (& I60) PP | PRIMARE A34.2 Class D
    OMEGA SUPER ALNICO & 3i Monitors |
    PRECISION 6.2, ELAC BS244, ATC SCM11, S3/5R, Alnico, XERO, DM 2/6, Q 2020i
    SS relics: REGA ELICIT, ARCAM A38, Musical Fidelity X-A2, NAIM NAP 100, QUAD 909, SONY TA-F246E | MiniWatt N3

Real Name
     Stewart
    Turn Table
     NOT AT THE MOMENT!
    Digital Source 1
     Yes I have one
    Integrated Amp
     DenonAVPA1/Crown
    Speakers
     IAS, horns, modified
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Solid you should try some of the Chord preamps. I tried one a couple of years ago and am very happy with it! It gives huge stereo image along with tight bass reproduction. They are simple to operate, they have an enviable service dept. And of course they use remotes on their latest offerings.
    S
    I am just a soul boy at heart.

DAC
    Integrated Amp
     SE-1, PP-1, SS-5
    Speakers
     14pr
    Pre Amp
     Triode-3, SS-1
    Power Amp
     SE-3, PP-2, SS-2, 1D
    Headphones
     LOL
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Errr, okayyy... I'll try to muster the interest. TBH, despite the surface shininess, Chord components look like high-end boxes for keeping spiders...

Exposure's 3010S2 Pre is more fascinating and probably next up after the ATC. A fat furry wammate has been assisting me towards this direction and it's working.

SS
    CONRAD-JOHNSON HD3 & ET3SE > SUN SV-2A3 L.E. 25th Anniv. SE Class A | NAIM DAC V1 > C-J CLASSIC 60SE PP
    MUSICAL FIDELITY X-T100
    (modded valve pre) > GENESIS Advanced Tech. M60 (& I60) PP | PRIMARE A34.2 Class D
    SS relics: REGA ELICIT, ARCAM A38, Musical Fidelity X-A2, NAIM NAP 100, QUAD 909, SONY TA-F246E | MiniWatt N3

Real Name
     Marc
    Digital Source 2
     Digigram VX222e
    DAC
     Mytek Stereo-192 DSD
    Speakers
     PSI A25-M active
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Monkey spanker TheMinimalCriminal's Avatar
    Real Name
     Jon
    Digital Source 1
     Your Mum
    DAC
     Your Mum
    Integrated Amp
     Your Mum
    Speakers
     Your Mum
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Oh my those are absolutely gorgeous. Have read up on a number of people stating that the whole range of Klinger Favre stuff is amazing but cannot find a price for anything except the standmounts; anyone any ideas on these ones?
    Come to the Audio Abattoir, it's where all the real wammers have gone.

Real Name
     Tony
    Turn Table
     Linn LP12/Armageddon
    T/Arm & Cart
     Ekos/Klyde
    SUT/Phono
     Creek
    Digital Source 1
     Meridian 588
    Digital Source 2
     Sony Universal
    Speakers
     Quad ESL-57, LS3/5a
    Pre Amp
     EAR834, Quad 44
    Power Amp
     Quad II, Quad 606
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Merde alors! St.-Diť-des-Vosges. Just up the road... I thought they only made plonk up there.
    The man with the golden ear trumpet

Real Name
     Marc
    Digital Source 2
     Digigram VX222e
    DAC
     Mytek Stereo-192 DSD
    Speakers
     PSI A25-M active
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMinimalCriminal View Post
    Oh my those are absolutely gorgeous. Have read up on a number of people stating that the whole range of Klinger Favre stuff is amazing but cannot find a price for anything except the standmounts; anyone any ideas on these ones?
    the small ones are 2600 euro , the ones pictured (D46 i think) are 2 models up and are around 4k euro

DAC
    Integrated Amp
     SE-1, PP-1, SS-5
    Speakers
     14pr
    Pre Amp
     Triode-3, SS-1
    Power Amp
     SE-3, PP-2, SS-2, 1D
    Headphones
     LOL
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Sighted and Heard: Audiolab 8200CDQ
    (a.k.a. the 'Digital Messiah' in certain quarters)

I went to hear this notorious machine last Friday. It is a John Westlake design and unless you are a derelict audiophool who has been living under a rock, you would know by now the 8200CD and 8200CDQ are the most talked about cd players in the online audiophool community and their commercial releases eagerly anticipated months in advance, like a new Sade album. (ps: did you read my Sade/SoL thread, oh never mind...)

I had heard the 8200CD earlier this year via someone else's demo, and wasn't that impressed. It resembled Cambridge Audio's Azur 840C - a known quality to me as I once owned the 740C which shares much of the 840C's sonic signature. I found the 8200CD highly detailed but rather lean and in need of a more organic flowing quality to sound better. And I would not have pegged it as a game-changing design in digi-land, as many Westlake fans do.

So in the months after that hearing I wasn't interested in the upcoming 8200CDQ as a fixture for solidschateau. However I somehow got swept up in the online 8200CDQ hysteria and found myself following that gigantic thread in the PFM forum. At times informative, at times meandering into the depths of extremely finicky questionings by several anoraks who need to step outdoors more often IMO and not cry into their porridge should future Westlake designs leave out a feature that indicates the jitter levels of bit-sources. Oh my. Trudging through all those posts amidst the occasional gems of information exchange (wammates Technobear and Cloth-Ears were on it) I almost lost the will to live.

I have to give Mr Westlake kudos for bothering to make appearances on that thread to answer the several good (and the many naff) queries. If it were me, I'd have a take-it-or-leave-it approach to promoting the 8200CD/CDQs. Buy it and/or STFU!

Well, that damned thread is effective in spurring readers to take interest in the CDQ. After having spent a month surreptitiously reading it during snatched time at work (I've currently stopped at that pic of a London looter holding a 8200 box), you do feel that after having invested that time reading the thread, you owe it to yourself to go hear the damned thing. And so I gave in.

Build Quality
    It is average and uninspiring, and the black option looks and feels cheap. I would get hammered if I said it on that pfm thread of course, "all the money has been spent on the inside, you ingrate!" but still, for a £950 cdp, that is one very filmsy and plasticky cd tray. Arcam's entry-level CD17 has such a smooth slider in comparison. As for the buttons, they don't resist finger pushes with the springy hardness of the steel ones on MF components. The casework is a thin folded metal sheet that is as sturdy as my NAD C326BEE's, its going to get bent if your toddler puts his hand on it and leans...

Had I chosen another amp for the demo, I might have closed one eye to the 8200CDQ's build. But Exposure's 3010S stereo power amp got the gig and I just couldn't help comparing its oh-so-thick aluminium faceplate and casework to the audiolab's.

The remote control's build is better but the button layout lacks imagination. It is nowhere as user-friendly as Cambridge Audio's Navigator which enlarges and places the buttons that one uses most frequently right in the sweet spot under your thumb. And unlike the Navigator, its boring square dimensions makes it unsuitable for use as a spare dildo.

Sound Quality
    It is impressive. Very impressive. JW claims several sonic enhancements over the 8200CD and they must work because I reckon this 8200CDQ is worth the extra outlay over the 8200CD. It could be that the 8200CD was hampered by being partnered to the 8200A amp when I heard it. And it could be that the Exposure 3010S power amp is superior to the 8200A and carried the 8200CDQ's sonics forward. Or both. In any case, I heard a much fuller sound from the 8200CDQ. Soundstaging was spectacular. When I played an extract from Mozart's Requiem, I was floored by the placement of several chorus singers at the center of the wall behind the speakers. The effect was stunning. It was like the speakers had nothing to do with the emanation of those sounds at all.

The 8200CDQ continued to show its soundstaging ability on my other test music. This cdp does space, space and more space. Plus dimensionality, tonal finesse and airiness. And resolution of the highest order without a hint of brightness or exaggerated bass. David Price of HFW had put its performance in the class of high-end rivals in the five-figure bracket. Well, the metrosexual scribe may be not exaggerating either. This 8200CDQ is a game-changer and a future Hall of Famer like the Rotel RCD-965BX and Marantz CD-63 K.I. Signature.

However...

I didn't find that the 8200CDQ's high-end virtues really helped heighten my emotive appreciation for my music over that which my current sources already grant me. Once the stupendous thrill of hearing the 8200CDQ's abilities had subsided (by the fourth music extract), a mood of slight diffidence came over me. In several instances, the CDQ's spacious soundstaging actually undermined the atmosphere of several tracks. The closing voiceless minutes of Sade's 'Soldier of Love' track has the band jammin' groovily in the deep bass regions, creating a sexy earthy tone through my existent DACs. Through the CDQ, the deep drums took on a more crystalline tone, but worse, the CDQ's immense spaciousness made it seem like the players were doing their own thing but no longer listening to one another and playing as an band. The groove factor had dipped.

Another casualty was the great love duet from Wagner's 'Tristan und Isolde'. I normally turn into mush when I hear it but my emotional response to the CDQ's rendition was quite cool. In this instance I felt the CDQ's prowess overcooked the soup. It put unwanted distance between the two lovers/singers who no longer seemed to breathe the same air or respond tenderly to each other. I was listening to two opera singers isolated in two sound booths!! Epic fail. Sometimes excess technology can undermine artistry.

Conversely, with the massive Triumphal Scene from Verdi's opera 'Aida', the CDQ produced magic. The music is set in a public scene so there is no lovers' intimacy being expressed. The CDQ soundstaged the huge array of performers brilliantly which suits the OTT bombast of Verdi's conception. The scale of the reproduction was quite staggering.

So from the above examples, I found the 8200CDQ's arsenal of strengths to be either a big hit or miss with my music selections. I won't be buying it as its horrible cd tray would be a mockery of the money I'm paying. I have gone all FLAC anyway so it is the upcoming 8200DQ that holds interest for me. Its preamp functionality could reduce my box count by one as I can use it with my Quad 909 and not need a separate preamp. Then again, despite the CDQ/DQ's sonic abilities, I reckon I can still live without one. If this game-changer offers the high-end performance of much costlier cdps as DP says, then after Friday's demo I have found my own point of diminishing returns as far digital replay is concerned. I am not an audiophool who needs a state of the art DAC. If I don't opt for the 8200DQ, a QUAD Elite Pre and a second Arcam rDAC will serve my music collection just fine.

Oh yes, a word about the rDAC. It is my current most favourite DAC (Sep write-up coming up). When the 8200CDQ had its first exclusive premiere in Blighty, a listener had remarked on an online blog that the rDAC was one of the two DACs compared aganst the CDQ and got "obliterated". Erm, I beg to differ. To my ears the CDQ does not obliterate the rDAC, as far as musicality is concerned. I do see what I am getting if I pay the extra for the CDQ over the rDAC: extreme soundstage spaciousness, extreme high-resolution, etc... But as I have learnt on Friday, these extra niceties did not increase my emotive response to my favourite music. I did not feel like blubbing more when familiar singers' voices were replayed. The rDAC, for instance, already gets to the heart of the matter.

I offer an art simile to illustrate my perspectives on the high-performance CDQ and the affordable, but most excellent, rDAC.

^ da Vinci's famous sketches are a masterclass in cross-hatching techniques. Tons of pain-staking fine lines come together to create life-like portraits. The rDAC allows you to appreciate the three-dimensionality of the creation, while the CDQ does that and lets you realize that hundreds of cross-hatched lines (i.e. very fine resolution) are responsible for creating that portrait. IMO, it's not necessary to hear all these extras to appreciate the beauty of the portrait(music). Sometimes it can be a distraction.

Dudywoxer said something most amusing about the mania surrounding the 8200CD/CDQ on another forum (socializiing elsewhere, Dudy?) "It will probably be like the other recent audioloab stuff, in some circles it is the second coming, in others it is the result of the second coming, i.e. load of wank." You gotta luv that crusty Regaholic. And that reminds me, I need to check out the Rega DAC sometime. It has got Wolfson 8742 chips over the rDAC's 8741, so it could sound similar with a few improvements and be preferable to the 8200DQ. I might have one over a second rDAC.

SS

The Audiolab 8200CDQ

Pro: offers high-end soundstaging and resolution for pizza-and-beer money.
    Con: I didn't find those high-end virtues improving my emotive connection to my fave music

other Cons:
    - filmsy cd tray and casework
    - runs rather alarmingly hot in use; begs questions of long-term reliability.
    - the various filters don't change the sound drastically and are a geeky affectation/distraction IMO. You definitely won't notice which one is on when the CDQ is playing in the background while you're enjoying anal sex.

Fini

ps: rep if you found this report informative
    pps: please rep if you found any articles in this blog informative
    Last edited by SSM; 08-09-2011 at 05:01 AM. Reason: Vanity ;-)
    MUSICAL FIDELITY X-T100

Real Name
     Rob
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    When we first demoed the CDQ, I could hear no difference between any of the filters, there was however a reasonable difference between the new (at the time) Quad CD and the 8200CDQ, the Quad was a bit more laid back, while the Audiolab was a bit more informative. Maybe the Quad Elite CD-P or CD-S might be worth a go? Or have you heard them?

DAC
    Integrated Amp
     SE-1, PP-1, SS-5
    Speakers
     14pr
    Pre Amp
     Triode-3, SS-1
    Power Amp
     SE-3, PP-2, SS-2, 1D
    Headphones
     LOL
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Quote Originally Posted by HoopsOnToast View Post
    When we first demoed the CDQ, I could hear no difference between any of the filters, there was however a reasonable difference between the new (at the time) Quad CD and the 8200CDQ, the Quad was a bit more laid back, while the Audiolab was a bit more informative. Maybe the Quad Elite CD-P or CD-S might be worth a go? Or have you heard them?
    No. Part of my dying metrosexual self is resisting the urge to go all Quad.

Maybe end of the year.

SS
    MUSICAL FIDELITY X-T100

pobox-123
    Interesting review, SS.

My father owns a CDQ, and he is happy with it.

Over on PFM, people were saying you can have the transformers upgraded in the CDQ.

Regards.

DAC
    Integrated Amp
     SE-1, PP-1, SS-5
    Speakers
     14pr
    Pre Amp
     Triode-3, SS-1
    Power Amp
     SE-3, PP-2, SS-2, 1D
    Headphones
     LOL
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    These handsome little buggers weren't on my demo yesterday, but another audiophool's which I intruded upon.

^ System Audio SA705. Rear-ported and single-wired mini monitors.

They are really GOOD. It is rare to find an affordable mini with a tweeter that is detailed yet composed but this SA705 accomplishes that. The SA website says 'really fast drivers' are used. Yeah, the speaker sounds it. It has zip tempered with composure and I'd place it in the class of AVI's Neutron IV and Spendor minis. While the SA705 doesn't have the ultra-smoothness of my S3/5R, it is pacier and in that regard I reckon it's a real alternative to SA1. It offers the same fleetedness and frequency range. Considering it only costs £500, a potential SA1 buyer could go for this SA705 instead and put the savings on a really nice £1k integrated amp. Wow.

^ lovely arse on display in this Swedish bakeoff. (btw, is that a plug and spade biwired cable going into the single terminals?!! Won't that cause a short-circuit?)

I have added System Audio to DALI and Dynaudio as Danish speaker brands to watch. I'd like a pair of SA705 as a trophy bargain buy, but it prolly won't be a patch on the Aurum Altan VIIIs I'm eyeing.

SS
    Last edited by SSM; 10-09-2011 at 06:41 AM.
    MUSICAL FIDELITY X-T100

DAC
    Integrated Amp
     SE-1, PP-1, SS-5
    Speakers
     14pr
    Pre Amp
     Triode-3, SS-1
    Power Amp
     SE-3, PP-2, SS-2, 1D
    Headphones
     LOL
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    (edit)

Geez, I literally did what Focal-kid was complaining about, not checking before pressing 'Send'.

SS
    Last edited by SSM; 10-09-2011 at 02:40 AM.
    MUSICAL FIDELITY X-T100

DAC
    Integrated Amp
     SE-1, PP-1, SS-5
    Speakers
     14pr
    Pre Amp
     Triode-3, SS-1
    Power Amp
     SE-3, PP-2, SS-2, 1D
    Headphones
     LOL
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Nothing clears up Monday blues like new incoming audio kit.

Today, after calling in sick with a serious cold, I was guilty of 'moping around the mall' as Zebra100 had cautioned me in my vicissitudes blog. I had been to look at three pre-amps - the £1.2k ATC CA2, a £1.2k Swede and a £1.5k() Dane as alternatives to the Quad Elite for my 909. In a nutshell, while they had their own merits, neither of them did enough to convince me that the the pre-power route is immediately superior to a well-sorted integrated. The CA2 was the best, with no identifiably aberrations from neutrality. The Swede, so highly acclaimed in most media, I found dull (just like the rest of its integrated amps I'd heard in the past). The Dane was so fucking bright and etched!!! The humbly-priced Quad Elite sounds more natural and better IMO.

At that point I had decided that I'm not building a new system around the Quad 909 but to use it as a power amp to relieve the output of my aging tubed MF X-T100 in my HT/orchestral system. To my ears the 909 sounds best with a tubed pre, and adding the Quad Elite would rob it of some spark IMO.

I decided to revisit three of the integrated amps I had demo'd in June, plus a new arrival on the scene:

Arcam FMJ A38, Rega Elicit, Roksan Caspian M2 and Creek Destiny 2 (new)

This time I chose higher-quality standmounts, in lieu of previous floorstanders. The A38 was paired with B&W's awesome little PM1, the Elicit (the Rega dealership had changed hands since) had the company of my SCM11, a step up from the blehy Naim-Fockal 807 Chorus. The Caspian M2 and the Destiny 2 had the company of Dynaudio DM 2/7 and B&W CM5 respectively.

Add to that quartet last Friday's re-demo of the Naim Nait XS.
    A very clear winner emerged from this quintet!!!
    It's coming in on Monday and I now have all the amplification I'll ever need, so I can lavish my moolah on sshiny Quadral speakers next year, either the Aurum Altan VIII or if I stretch the waiting time a little longer, the positively Wagnerian Wotans VIII floorstanders, squeeeee!!!

The victor gets to partner my ELAC BS244 for now before the Quadrals, and although I have not heard them together, I just know it's going to sound very wonderful, at the very least!!! £1.6k very well-spent.

And as this is S2000dB's birthday week, the incoming amp is christened 'Dana', but it's definitely not a 54yo tin of luncheon meat. I shall remember dear wammate Dana forever everytime I look at this amp.

The reveal on Monday...

SS
    Last edited by SSM; 15-09-2011 at 10:43 AM.
    MUSICAL FIDELITY X-T100

Real Name
     Nick
    Turn Table
     Oracle Delphi MkIII
    T/Arm & Cart
     SME V, AN IO1
    SUT/Phono
     TdP / Aesthetix Rhea
    Digital Source 1
     Accustic Arts Drive1
    Digital Source 2
     Lumin D1
    DAC
     Accustic Arts Tube
    Integrated Amp
     Karan i180
    Speakers
     Gershman Avant Garde
    Pre Amp
     Modwright LS 36.5
    Power Amp
     Modwright KWA 100SE
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Interesting comments about the System Audios. I used to own the SA1530 and found them average. For a slim floorstander (admittedly more expensive) the Totem Arros walked all over them. Good to hear that improvements are being made. There's no doubting that SA make good looking, room friendly speakers though.

Real Name
     Dana
    Turn Table
     Technics SL150, SME,
    Digital Source 1
     UR CDE
    Integrated Amp
     UR Performance
    Speakers
     UR Grand Callas
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    OMG, please don't name me after a Naim...

Real Name
     Steve
    Turn Table
     Clearaudio Emotion
    T/Arm & Cart
     Goldring 1012GX
    SUT/Phono
     Dino+
    Digital Source 1
     Marantz 6005
    Integrated Amp
     Rotel RA-1570
    Speakers
     Proac/Wychwood Studio 150
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Look for forward to discovering what your new toy will be. Nobody believes the "all the amplification I will ever need" bit though, it'll be lucky to last 12 months.

Cheers BB

DAC
    Integrated Amp
     SE-1, PP-1, SS-5
    Speakers
     14pr
    Pre Amp
     Triode-3, SS-1
    Power Amp
     SE-3, PP-2, SS-2, 1D
    Headphones
     LOL
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Quote Originally Posted by myrman View Post
    Interesting comments about the System Audios. I used to own the SA1530 and found them average. For a slim floorstander (admittedly more expensive) the Totem Arros walked all over them. Good to hear that improvements are being made. There's no doubting that SA make good looking, room friendly speakers though.
    Interesting comments yours too. I'd also saw a pair of slimline SA floorstanders which looked so damned chic with that column of 5 tiny woofers. Not heard them, but doubt they are to my taste anyway as I suspect they lack welly compared to my SCM11 with its single heavy woofer.

For a tiny mini, the SA705 is good though.

cheerSS
    MUSICAL FIDELITY X-T100

DAC
    Integrated Amp
     SE-1, PP-1, SS-5
    Speakers
     14pr
    Pre Amp
     Triode-3, SS-1
    Power Amp
     SE-3, PP-2, SS-2, 1D
    Headphones
     LOL
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Quote Originally Posted by s2000db View Post
    OMG, please don't name me after a Naim...
    LOL!!! Don't be an ingrate.I named an expensive purchase after you. Compared to the 100-quid MF V-LINK called 'Lindsay/Stratie'.

SS
    MUSICAL FIDELITY X-T100

Real Name
     Dana
    Turn Table
     Technics SL150, SME,
    Digital Source 1
     UR CDE
    Integrated Amp
     UR Performance
    Speakers
     UR Grand Callas
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No