Pre Amp
     Naim 282/hi-cap
    Power Amp
     Naim 250-2
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Quote Originally Posted by SSM View Post
    Thank heavens it wasn't the XS, or else I'd have to listen to a month of bad music before it came on song.SS
    A good friend has recently gone from a 5i to XS - not good when first out the box but was soon on song. Rega amps go very well with vinyl................how about a pink P3?
    Nostalgia is not art (MIB 1 Jul 13)

DAC
     'Stu30' & 7 more
    Integrated Amp
     'Testure,Dana,Strat'
    Speakers
     'Meninblacks'
    Pre Amp
     'BB, Roy & Woxer'
    Power Amp
     Gold/Super Testures
    Headphones
     Sennheiser HD238
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Quote Originally Posted by The Strat View Post
    A good friend has recently gone from a 5i to XS - not good when first out the box but was soon on song. Rega amps go very well with vinyl................how about a pink P3?
    With the rega DAC around, I don't need an actual turntable. It was to be the Dana II, or Mini Dana I was supposed to bring home as well yesterday. (Had asked the dealer Thurs to put a black one aside for me.) But the rega DAC purchase is deferred for a while. I'd brought my rDAC to try on the showroom Elicit yesterday to see how much of a difference the two DACs made. Hmm...

Will say more when I squeeze out the rDAC report; if I'm not too distracted by the music.

SS
    CONRAD-JOHNSON HD3, ET3SE & CLASSIC SIXTY SE, ICON AUDIO LA4 MKIII > NAIM NAP 100
    PRIMARE DAC30 > AYRE K-5xeMP > GENESIS M60, audiolab M-DAC > GENESIS I60
    REGA RP1, DAC & ELICIT, ARCAM rDAC & FMJ A38, MF X-T100 & X-A2, SONY TA-F246E

TANNOY PRECISION 6.2, ELAC BS244, ATC SCM11, S3/5R, DM 2/6, XERO, Q 2020i

Wammer
    Real Name
     Matt
    Digital Source 1
     Airport Express
    DAC
     Bushmaster II
    Integrated Amp
     CR Kalypso
    Speakers
     47 Lab Lens II
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Hi SS

Congrats on your new purchase. I've been following your hi-fi adventures with great interest as you seem to aspire to the same sound qualities as I do. Thought you might like to know that the Elac 240 range is now available in Darth Vader Black Edition (in Germany at least). Let's hope they release it world-wide.

http://www.elac.com/de/produkte/Lini...3_BE/index.php

These have my name written all over them. Just need to save up the dosh!
    Matt
    Last edited by matt2007; 20-09-2011 at 07:57 PM.

DAC
     'Stu30' & 7 more
    Integrated Amp
     'Testure,Dana,Strat'
    Speakers
     'Meninblacks'
    Pre Amp
     'BB, Roy & Woxer'
    Power Amp
     Gold/Super Testures
    Headphones
     Sennheiser HD238
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Ta Matt.
    Wow, those Vader Black 240s truly look metrosexual modern. Those aluminium AS-XR cones will surely glisten like black sapphires in soft night lighting. Very nice. I still dig the silver trim on my standard 244s though. Its good to see that ELAC's 240 range is well-received enough to merit a deluxe new colour. The BS243's 2010 HFW award must have helped spread word for the rest of the 240s outside of Germany.

And yes, I believe the slender FS247 or FS248 has your name all written over them. I'm sure either will make a lovely transition from your Arros. Start budgeting now.

I am still in love with my BS244. Actually even more so now with the arrival of the Elicit. They just get better with each amp upgrade. The Jet III tweeters take time to run in, but now after seven months, the speakers sound impeccably well-balanced and oh-so-dynamic.

cheerSS
    Last edited by SSM; 21-09-2011 at 11:22 AM.
    CONRAD-JOHNSON HD3, ET3SE & CLASSIC SIXTY SE, ICON AUDIO LA4 MKIII > NAIM NAP 100

DAC
     'Stu30' & 7 more
    Integrated Amp
     'Testure,Dana,Strat'
    Speakers
     'Meninblacks'
    Pre Amp
     'BB, Roy & Woxer'
    Power Amp
     Gold/Super Testures
    Headphones
     Sennheiser HD238
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Quote Originally Posted by Brown Bottle View Post
    Cracking write up SSM. I'll hopefully get a listen to the Elicit at the Whittlebury Show this weekend. Must be good if it beats the XS.
    I hope it leaves a good impression on you, BB.
    (If it doesn't, don't make a squeak on here as this blog has entered into a rega era)

My take is that the choice of partnering speaker has a significant effect on how the Elicit is going to be perceived. My June demo had it first with the RS3 (that was underwhelming) which was replaced by Naim-Focal 807V Chorus. The latter improved my opinion of the Elicit as it let through its extraordinary bass control. But that Naim-Focal midrange must be plastic-sounding because last Thursday's re-demo with the ATC SCM11 showcased 80% of the Elicit's splendor. I say 20% is missing because of the SCM11's tweeter limitations and its very low sensitivity (80dB).

Fellow Reganite Dudywoxer wanted to know how I felt about Rega-Elac vs Rega-Spendor. Well I took my S3/5R home from the office today to have a try. As expected the S3/5R highlighted the Elicit's tonal refinement and poise but in true LS3/5a stiff-upper lip tradition it squelched the Elicit's PRaTty and dramatic side. The sound was very relaxing and classy, but almost 180deg different from the take-no-prisoners dynamic synergy of Elicit-ELAC.

^ Fast, fluid and dramatic vs chilled sophistication; that's ELAC and Spendor respectively when harnessed to the Elicit
    (go easy on my shakiness Stratie, I'm an amateur tennis player and my body is forever humming)

So I'll reiterate that the choice of demo speaker is pivotal to one's first impressions of the Elicit. I wasn't moved to buy it in June when the Rega & Focal speakers were used. ATC last week changed that.

But Elicit-ATC is not a patch on Elicit-ELAC. The latter is FAST and FLUID with strong connotations of a tube-y flavour.

SS

Super Wammer
    strong connotations of a tube-y flavour.
    Be done with it. Just get the home made tube amp with a garrard 301 and the huge wardrobe open baffles with wires everywhere Then a smelly old carpet with basket furniture and straw mats hanging on the walls. You know it's coming
    Men who never get carried away should be

DAC
     'Stu30' & 7 more
    Integrated Amp
     'Testure,Dana,Strat'
    Speakers
     'Meninblacks'
    Pre Amp
     'BB, Roy & Woxer'
    Power Amp
     Gold/Super Testures
    Headphones
     Sennheiser HD238
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Quote Originally Posted by lexi View Post
    Be done with it. Just get the home made tube amp with a garrard 301 and the huge wardrobe open baffles with wires everywhere Then a smelly old carpet with basket furniture and straw mats hanging on the walls. You know it's coming
    You've just described the interior of your listening den.

I had considered going the tube way by import-buying an Icon Audio (no dealer here) LA4 mkII preamp for the Quad 909. But I'm glad I didn't because I still would have retained the 909's softness on deep bass notes. Tried the Elicit's pre-outs on the 909 yesterday and its fabulous taut bass didn't make it out of the 909's output. Ditto that crisp, clean Rega 62kHz treble (it got Quad-softened). So it seems however well-defined a preamp I might have bought (eg. ATC CA2), the 909's own control over the frequency extremes still determine/mar the final outcome.

^ converting powerful taut bass into soft ice-cream, Quad 909 gives Elicit the pipe 'n slippers

Just got back from an evening in the city and French buttering. I browsed the Sep issue of HFC in the bookstore and was stunned to see that the Elicit is the grouptest winner in the amp supertest. What a delightful surprise! (We Tipocans get our HFC issue on the month of release, not two months before, as in Blighty.) I had read TechRadar's reviews of the Elicit and Quad Elite pre-powers a month ago, but had no idea both were in the supertest.

Of course, mag reviews don't matter in the personal context but I had bought the Feb issue where the Creek Destiny 2 was grouptest winner and kept that copy in my drawer at the office. Whenever the shit hit the fan I would take it out and remind myself why I keep slogging: I'd reward myself with a HFC supertest winner this Xmas.

As it turned out, the Creek Destiny 2 didn't make it to solidschateau, but I still got myself a HFC Grouptest Winner. Just not the one I had been obsessing over for the past 7 months LOL!

Tis great to have one of my fave hifi mags like my amp.

SS
    Last edited by SSM; 23-09-2011 at 12:58 PM. Reason: Vanity ;-)

Real Name
     colin
    Turn Table
     Rega P9
    T/Arm & Cart
     RB 1000 Apheta
    SUT/Phono
     ios
    Digital Source 1
     saturn
    Digital Source 2
     squeeze box touch
    Speakers
     spen A6
    Pre Amp
     Rega Cursa
    Power Amp
     Rega Exon
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    thanks for taking the time/trouble to compare the elac/spendor with the elicit fella. I have had a search around my neck of the woods, and it seems a trip to the North West and the fringe of the lakes will have to be arranged to have a listen to these
    Music is an outburst of the soul

Registered
    Hi, SSM,

Is there somewhere your review of poweramp Quad 909.
    I am thinking about purchasing it and I like your reviews to read.
    Regards

DAC
     'Stu30' & 7 more
    Integrated Amp
     'Testure,Dana,Strat'
    Speakers
     'Meninblacks'
    Pre Amp
     'BB, Roy & Woxer'
    Power Amp
     Gold/Super Testures
    Headphones
     Sennheiser HD238
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Quote Originally Posted by dudywoxer View Post
    thanks for taking the time/trouble to compare the elac/spendor with the elicit fella. I have had a search around my neck of the woods, and it seems a trip to the North West and the fringe of the lakes will have to be arranged to have a listen to these
    Wow Dudy, you're thinking of living life in the fast lane? At matching price-points, ELAC is more efficient (and very likely, swifter) than its Spendor counterpart. I hope you'll like its presentation. It has to be noted that the JET III ribbons need to be thoroughly run-in to sound their smoothest and require acoustically absorbent side and back(behind your head) walls to perform at their optimum best IME. My JET IIIs now sound extended, lightning-quick yet sweet at all times. The crystal-faceted AS-XR cone is designed to reduce distortion in the bass - and so far my BS244 is the one speaker that truly reveals the Elicit's exceptional LF control. Everything is now so transparent and taut in this region, it frees up room for rhythmic basslines to really swing. Groovy! You may hear the same effect if you ever get an FS247 with your Exons.

cheerSS

DAC
     'Stu30' & 7 more
    Integrated Amp
     'Testure,Dana,Strat'
    Speakers
     'Meninblacks'
    Pre Amp
     'BB, Roy & Woxer'
    Power Amp
     Gold/Super Testures
    Headphones
     Sennheiser HD238
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Quote Originally Posted by massive View Post
    Hi, SSM,

Is there somewhere your review of poweramp Quad 909.
    I am thinking about purchasing it and I like your reviews to read.
    Regards
    Nah. I've only had mine not long ago.
    There are many pro reviews of the 909 about. The two that chime best with my own experience of 909 are the The Absolute Sound's and AVReview's.

I'd say go for one if you get the chance: the 909 is a power amp with an exceptional midrange reproduction that eludes most 1k integrateds. Partner it with speakers that have a revealing top and controlled bass ports, and you will likely be very pleased indeed.

cheerSS

Registered
    Quote Originally Posted by SSM View Post
    Nah. I've only had mine not long ago.
    There are many pro reviews of the 909 about. The two that chime best with my own experience of 909 are the The Absolute Sound's and AVReview's.

I'd say go for one if you get the chance: the 909 is a power amp with an exceptional midrange reproduction that eludes most 1k integrateds. Partner it with speakers that have a revealing top and controlled bass ports, and you will likely be very pleased indeed.

cheerSS
    Cheers, but I like reading your reviews

How would you describe bass and highs of 909?
    Please continue with your enthusiasm

Regards

DAC
     'Stu30' & 7 more
    Integrated Amp
     'Testure,Dana,Strat'
    Speakers
     'Meninblacks'
    Pre Amp
     'BB, Roy & Woxer'
    Power Amp
     Gold/Super Testures
    Headphones
     Sennheiser HD238
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Buy with confidence.

cheerSS
    Last edited by SSM; 24-09-2011 at 11:21 AM.

Registered
    good good, as I really enjoying your reviews, unfortunately I did not have had same components as you had, I had focci and you were spot on in relation to that speaker. Well done.

With 909 I only worry about double-bass in jazz music which I listen a lot, and I do not like too warm bass. I prefer definition in bass. My speakers are Sonus Faber Minima Amator.
    cherSS

Real Name
     Steve
    Turn Table
     Clearaudio Emotion
    T/Arm & Cart
     Ortofon Salsa
    SUT/Phono
     Dino+
    Digital Source 1
     Marantz 6005
    Integrated Amp
     Creek Evo
    Speakers
     Proac/Wychwood Studio 150
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Well I didn't get to hear the Rega Elicit but I did hear the Elac BS244. We went into the Elac room quite early on Saturday and played our test track, that went on to be the benchmark for the rest of the day. The Elacs were partnered with the latest Primare entry level Amp & CD player, which I know aren't your favourites Solid.

The only other system that got near to the enjoyment of the Elac/Primare system was a Tannoy/Alberry system at about 4 times the price.

We went back to the Elac Room for a good half hour at the end of the day and played another 4 or 5 tracks, the German host was most accomodating.

All in all these are in the top 3 standmount speakers I have ever heard. Overall I prefer the Isophon Gallileos but they are 2k plus and a difficult load. Funnily enough they are also German.

Would love to hear the Elacs in a domestic setting. Anyone in the market for 1k speakers must listen to these, great bass, cracking midrange and that wonderful ribbon tweeter. A superb package.

Cheers BB

DAC
     'Stu30' & 7 more
    Integrated Amp
     'Testure,Dana,Strat'
    Speakers
     'Meninblacks'
    Pre Amp
     'BB, Roy & Woxer'
    Power Amp
     Gold/Super Testures
    Headphones
     Sennheiser HD238
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    German speakers rule, BB. Ditto ribbon tweeters. I'm definitely going to check out Quadral's Aurum range next year. Their ribbons go up to 65kHz compared to ELAC's 50kHz. That may promise an even prettier top end, lalalaaa!

Glad to hear the BS244 passed the critical scrutiny of your lugholes. Yeah, I have not been a fan of previous Primare integrateds so my interest is piqued that you liked the synergy between ELAC and Primare's new UFPD amplification. However it'll take a pretty special amp to turn me away from quality Rega. This has been a weekend of riveting music-making from the Elicit-ELAC combo. Some familiar music have been reproduced with such a 'live' feel its electrifying!!!

cheerSS

Real Name
     Nick
    Turn Table
     Oracle Delphi MkIII
    T/Arm & Cart
     SME V, AN IO1
    SUT/Phono
     Aesthetix Rhea
    Digital Source 1
     Ayon CD-1sc
    Digital Source 2
     Laptop/Jriver
    DAC
     Jolida Glass FX
    Speakers
     Gershman Avant Garde
    Pre Amp
     Modwright LS100
    Power Amp
     Modwright KWA 100SE
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    I had been looking forward to hearing the BS244 and was very happy see them being used at Whittlebury. Absolutely lovely. A very effortless presentation I thought. Never been a big massive fan of Primare (lovely build but have just left me indifferent on previous encounters) but the pairing was sublime and all at real world prices.

And the red Quadral Aurum's looked lovely. Pity they didn't have the wired up. I was quite underwhelmed with the floorstanders they were running.
    Last edited by myrman; 25-09-2011 at 09:05 PM.

DAC
     'Stu30' & 7 more
    Integrated Amp
     'Testure,Dana,Strat'
    Speakers
     'Meninblacks'
    Pre Amp
     'BB, Roy & Woxer'
    Power Amp
     Gold/Super Testures
    Headphones
     Sennheiser HD238
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Oh no! The Aurum floorstanders didn't pass muster with you? I hope they weren't the Wotan VIIIs.
    Its a pity the standmounts weren't hooked up, I sure would have liked to hear wammers' opinions on their performance.

cheerSS

DAC
     'Stu30' & 7 more
    Integrated Amp
     'Testure,Dana,Strat'
    Speakers
     'Meninblacks'
    Pre Amp
     'BB, Roy & Woxer'
    Power Amp
     Gold/Super Testures
    Headphones
     Sennheiser HD238
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Welcome Mini Dana to solidschateau! The Rega DAC!!!

^ I had a wondrous first week with the Rega Elicit using my Arcam rDAC and MF DACs. But there's a thing to be said for same-brand synergy and even from new, the sizzling chemistry between the Elicit and the DAC tells me I am going to have an even grander second weekend of music with my Elicit!

On this day off work, I also listened to Primare's new 32 combo. Will pen a few words later.
    Meanwhile, I am...

SS

DAC
     'Stu30' & 7 more
    Integrated Amp
     'Testure,Dana,Strat'
    Speakers
     'Meninblacks'
    Pre Amp
     'BB, Roy & Woxer'
    Power Amp
     Gold/Super Testures
    Headphones
     Sennheiser HD238
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    The Rega DAC has warmed up nicely and oh boy am I glad I didn't buy that Audiolab 8200CDQ I'd demoed last month. IMO the 8200CDQ is overtly detailed for details' sake and has overtly spaced-out soundstaging for soundstaging's sake. It seems to be engineered to impress and tick as many boxes for high-end performance parameters, all for a beer money price.

In contrast, this Rega DAC simply puts its array of talents in total service of the music. It isn't the 8200CDQ's peer for the abovementioned attributes, yet it provides those crucial fine details that I listen out for, and has impressive soundstaging in its own right. More importantly, like the Arcam rDAC, it is a more 'together'-sounding digital source than the 8200CDQ. I find both more satisfying musically than the Audiolab - which does seem like a sterile laboratory (duh) equipment, for my tastes.

I had opted not to buy the DAC when I got the Elicit last week. When I first demoed it with the Elicit and ATC SCM11, I was struck by how analogue-sounding its presentation was. It was quite different to the Audiolab 8200CDQ which sounded like a digital source, with nothing of the turntable-like sonics of the DAC. Over that weekend I wondered if my rDAC would be a better partner for the Elicit. So I'd brought it to the Rega shop and hooked it to the showroom Elicit. This combo gave a spacious airy presentation that was as competent as the analog-y DAC-Elicit. So I left the dealer's with my Elicit and without buying the DAC.

But I'd been thinking about it over the weekend, and sussed that the ATC tweeters and sealed-box design was giving a slightly claustrophobic feel to the Rega DAC. Might the ELAC BS244 with its wide open treble and greater transparency be a good platform to showcase the DAC's chewy vinyl-esque sonics?

I took the plunge and woo hoo! The sound has really come together!!!For the first time in my audiophool life, I feel like I have a complete system without any major grating flaw.

The differences between the rDAC (still a great DAC) and the DAC are the latter's power in the bass, and its ability to truly flesh out performers in the midrange. The Rega DAC's bass is both powerful and chunky and will be a problem for budget amps because they aren't disciplined enough to control and shape it. But it is exactly what my Elicit is crying out for. Like a steel cookie cutter sinking into firm cookie dough, the Elicit's taut control in the bass has taken the DAC's chunky bass and articulated it in quite a spellbinding way. I spent this afternoon alternating between delight and shock at the turbo bass the system is dealing out. Double bass pluckings in jazz music are more physical and twangy than with the rDAC, Paul S. Denman's Stingray bass in Sade's music rocked and popped, Madonna's and Gaga's synth basslines were bouncing off the walls, and orchestral cellos playing en masse were stunning. So much power and presence.

btw vocals in the midrange are so breathy and tactile. Diana Krall's, for example, was wow!

This DAC has already secured a place for itself in Rega's, nay all digitaland's, Hall of Fame. Its synergy with the Elicit has elevated the bass grooviness of my system. I can confidently say that the basslines it is serving up through the ELACs' low-diffraction woofers supercedes the Naim CD5 XS / NAIT XS / Neat Momentum 4i I demo'd last last Friday.

What a day, what a day...

SS

Addendum: thoughts on the DAC's selectable filters
    Last edited by SSM; 05-11-2011 at 04:13 AM. Reason: Vanity ;-)