Audio Emotion Purite North  Epiphany Acoustics 
Page 65 of 130 FirstFirst ... 1555636465666775115 ... LastLast
Results 1,281 to 1,300 of 2592
    Wammer

Post imported post

droodzilla wrote:
    Yes, but what colour are your SA1s, Rob?
    Gloss Zebrano, they're really nice...

Wammer

Post imported post

SSM wrote:
    You could always change to a more low-slung couch. Best yet, consider going the satin cushions on persian rug option. I did that for a while in 2008 with the Ikon 5 and 6. Quite an exotic experience. The hookah is optional.
    ...thanks for the suggestion but it won't go with our country cottage. I'm thinking L-shaped sofa so I can lay out...

Wammer
    Real Name
     Nigel
    Digital Source 1
     Marantz Pearl Lite
    Digital Source 2
     Sonos Connect
    Integrated Amp
     Marantz Pearl Lite
    Speakers
     KEF LS50
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

igglebert wrote:
    droodzilla wrote:
    Yes, but what colour are your SA1s, Rob?
    Gloss Zebrano, they're really nice...

That's a shame - you very nearly had a ssale there! :green:Seriously, I would not be quite as catty about the zebrano as Solid - I had a pair on home demo for a week, and got used to them, not least because the build quality and standard of finish is exemplary. However, it has to be piano black for me, to fit in with the rest of my system and the decor in my lounge. Much to my annoyance piano black pairs of SA1s *never* come up for sale secondhand.

Solid, the way you're egging Igglebert onto buy the A5s makes me suspect you're a secret shill for Spendor. Come on, fess up - how much are they paying you to keep this thread alive?!

DAC
     'Stu30' & 7 more
    Integrated Amp
     'Testure,Dana,Strat'
    Speakers
     'Meninblacks'
    Pre Amp
     'BB, Roy & Woxer'
    Power Amp
     'Super Testures'
    Headphones
     Sennheiser HD238
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

I shill for no one. Just happen to get an orgasmic thrill from helping other audiophools squander their money.

The Gloss Zebrano is a pretty radical veneer coming from Spendor, but I do think it's quite lovely. Sometimes, its nice to have some colour from the speakers in an otherwise all-black system, for contrast. Wood veneers also add a touch of humane warmth to a speaker IMO. Synthetic black finishes border upon plasticky coldness.

Well, looks like you need to get yourself an A5 too after those Naim upgrades, to fully let through all of that goodness in the improved wattage. Anything less is just doing things halfway.

Happy NY.

CONRAD-JOHNSON HD3 & ET3SE > GENESIS M60, ICON AUDIO LA4 MKIII > NAIM NAP 100
    PRIMARE DAC30 > AYRE K-5xeMP > QUAD 909, audiolab M-DAC > GENESIS I60
    rega RP1, DAC & ELICIT, ARCAM rDAC & FMJ A38, MF X-DACv8, X-T100, X-A2, SONY TA-F246E

TANNOY PRECISION 6.2, ELAC BS244, ATC SCM11, S3/5R, DM 2/6, XERO, Q 2020i

Real Name
     Lindsay
    Turn Table
     Roksan Xerxes 20+
    T/Arm & Cart
     Artemiz/Dyn XX2
    SUT/Phono
     Naim Superline
    Digital Source 1
     Naim CDX2/XPS2
    Speakers
     Dyn Contour 1.8
    Pre Amp
     Naim 282/hi-cap
    Power Amp
     Naim 250-2
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

Happy NY to the participants in Solid's Blog.

That's a nice system Drood has got - looks very well balanced would imagine the synergy to be spot on.

In 2010 I predict Solid will finally come out of denial and get an XS with a stage line and one of these:

Nostalgia is not art (MIB 1 Jul 13)

DAC
     'Stu30' & 7 more
    Integrated Amp
     'Testure,Dana,Strat'
    Speakers
     'Meninblacks'
    Pre Amp
     'BB, Roy & Woxer'
    Power Amp
     'Super Testures'
    Headphones
     Sennheiser HD238
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

That's Lindsay my cyberspace-HWMBO, in case you guys were wondering... Wot he said. I'm very honoured that Drood chose to lose his posting virginity to me.

Yeah, I have a terrible premonition about me and Naim this year. Have already had two disturbing dreams about the XS since I came away from that demo empty-handed.

In the first I found myself a guest at a midnight picnic with Naimites around the grave of St Julian on the anniversary of his ascension. The catering was done by McDonald's and the Ronald Clown MC had on a luminous green wig and nose (so creepy). Then, we were informed that guests who don't own Naim would be given a free XS when they leave at the cemetary gates. YAY! I was the last to exit and the official told me that I was one more guest than they anticipated and were short of an XS for me. No worries, they had a special present for me. A pair of N-Sats painted at the QUAD L factory with seven layers of shiny lacquer. N-Sats.

In the second, I was in ancient Rome and had accepted a bribe of a Nait XS! I then made my way to the Senate with a dagger under my cloak. First Consul Antony Michaelson was there and I was the last senator to plunge my dagger into him. "Et tu, Cloonius?" Antony gasped. (I looked exactly like George Clooney in this dream) "That's for not being in my box to watch me in the Wimbledon final. Die!" said I, before AM sank dead into my arms while music from Wagner's Liebestod (Ger.LoveDeath) played. I turned my guilty eyes to the sky. There the stars turned into bright blue LEDs and the moon into a huge MF volume knob. What a beautiful end.

SS

rega RP1, DAC & ELICIT, ARCAM rDAC & FMJ A38, MF X-DACv8, X-T100, X-A2, SONY TA-F246E

Wammer
    Real Name
     Nigel
    Digital Source 1
     Marantz Pearl Lite
    Digital Source 2
     Sonos Connect
    Integrated Amp
     Marantz Pearl Lite
    Speakers
     KEF LS50
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

Ha ha, that's one of the funniest things I've read all year and a perfect illustration of why I chose to, ahem, "lose my posting virginity" on this thread. That, and the subject matter of small monitors, which is dear to my heart as I only have a small listening room.

@Lindsay: Yes, it's a great system, very nicely balanced. Adding a Flatcap 2x a few months ago felt like the missing piece of the jigsaw, and finally allowed me to experience the legendary "inky blackness" between the notes that I've read about for so long. The synergy is all present and correct - not least between the SCM7s and my 4x3m listening space. Every other speaker I've tried has given me bass boom trouble. Plus the ATCs seem to go loud without distortion (an eerie experience) and seem built to survive a nuclear strike. I could easily live with this system for the rest of my life if I had to!

Happy New Year to everyone on this great thread!

Wammer

Post imported post

MacDonalds? Shame it wasn't Hooters. Still, a nice shiny pair of N-Sats is quite a consolation prize. I heard them on the Nait5i with the CDX2 and was very pleasently surprised. Ten minutes after the demo I started to hear again properly but I don't think I'll ever get rid of the tinitus. Nice and clear sounding though, with great ebay values.

Real Name
     Lindsay
    Turn Table
     Roksan Xerxes 20+
    T/Arm & Cart
     Artemiz/Dyn XX2
    SUT/Phono
     Naim Superline
    Digital Source 1
     Naim CDX2/XPS2
    Speakers
     Dyn Contour 1.8
    Pre Amp
     Naim 282/hi-cap
    Power Amp
     Naim 250-2
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Nostalgia is not art (MIB 1 Jul 13)

DAC
     'Stu30' & 7 more
    Integrated Amp
     'Testure,Dana,Strat'
    Speakers
     'Meninblacks'
    Pre Amp
     'BB, Roy & Woxer'
    Power Amp
     'Super Testures'
    Headphones
     Sennheiser HD238
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

igglebert wrote:
    MacDonalds? Shame it wasn't Hooters. Still, a nice shiny pair of N-Sats is quite a consolation prize. I heard them on the Nait5i with the CDX2 and was very pleasently surprised. Ten minutes after the demo I started to hear again properly but I don't think I'll ever get rid of the tinitus. Nice and clear sounding though, with great ebay values.
    Isn't it surprising that Naimie Drood uses ATC instead of the stupendous N-Sats?

Tis' best not to underestimate your SCM7 in lieu of any incoming Spendors, Nigel. Maybe keep yours as backup. Like you said, this range of ATC speakers is well-built and don't crack under pressure. The Spendor standmounts (S3e, S3/5R, SA1, IME) have more delicacy but are comparatively lighter in touch. It is possible that the dynamic shove you are accustomed to from your NAP-powered SCM7 could be lessened by switching to a Spendor standmount. It may be like replacing strong black tea with wispy green tea.

So the reasoning from the above is: to ensure you aren't short-changed in the upgrade, the Spendor A6 should be your minimum target now!:green:

SS

[line]ps: prefer the pink one, Lindsay. It'll match my plastic garden flamingos.

Wammer

Post imported post

SSM wrote:
    igglebert wrote:
    Isn't it surprising that Naimie Drood uses ATC instead of the stupendous N-Sats?

Tis' best not to underestimate your SCM7 in lieu of any incoming Spendors, Nigel. Maybe keep yours as backup. Like you said, this range of ATC speakers is well-built and don't crack under pressure. The Spendor standmounts (S3e, S3/5R, SA1, IME) have more delicacy but are comparatively lighter in touch. It is possible that the dynamic shove you are accustomed to from your NAP-powered SCM7 could be lessened by switching to a Spendor standmount. It may be like replacing strong black tea with wispy green tea.

So the reasoning from the above is: to ensure you aren't short-changed in the upgrade, the Spendor A6 should be your minimum target now!:green:

SS
    Of course, this could also be wrong so plenty of demoing required before conclusions. The new Spendor speakers are a bit of a different breed to past incarnations.

Wammer
    Real Name
     Nigel
    Digital Source 1
     Marantz Pearl Lite
    Digital Source 2
     Sonos Connect
    Integrated Amp
     Marantz Pearl Lite
    Speakers
     KEF LS50
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

SSM wrote:
    igglebert wrote:

SS

[line]
    ps: prefer the pink one, Lindsay. It'll match my plastic garden flamingos.

Aaah, green tea or black tea, the eternal dilemma. Perhaps this is an opportune moment to come clean about the extent of my box-swapping habit. I feel that I am among friends here, who will not condemn or jeer at my affliction.

My first "proper" hi-fi was the Naim CD5i/Nait5i combo,which, in the space of about four years, I have upgraded to my present system. During that time, I have owned the following speakers:

Quad 11L - Can't remember much about these

SpendorS6e - I bought these ex-dem, feeling I was getting a once in a lifetime bargain on a five star product (I was young andnaive in them days). They were indeed lovely speakers, and I don't think I've ever heard solo piano musicreproduced better. However, over the course of about a year, I became aware that my room was awash in soft muddy bass frequencies, which robbed rock music in particular of any enjoyment. I sold them on e-Bay to a German student who wanted to demo them with "Tubular Bells" (which I don't own).

Art Stiletto - This dainty little floorstander replaced the S6e's. They hada faster, lighter sound, but over time I realised the mid-range sounded a little boxed in, and the bass was still a little bit much for my small listening room.

Naim n-Sat - All I can say is... don't believe everything you read on the Naim forum. Very tinny sounding, and completely unnatural. They lasted about a week, and the Art Stilettos survived to fight another day.

Neat Motive 2s - Another Naim forum recommendation, and a case of moving from one extreme to the other. In my room, the downward firing port created bass mayhem, which gave me a thumping headache. However, sadly, I succumbed to the hype, and persuaded myself that I enjoyed their big "meaty" sound. Exit the Art Stilettos.

Spendor S3/5R - Finally, sanity prevailed. The first CD I used to demo these featured a solo piano piece, and I knew within seconds they were a vast improvement on the Neats. A natural, tonally accurate sound that made the Motive 2s sound like the over-amped hulks they really were. Very fine with small jazz ensembles and chamber music. More than passable with large scale classical works, but slightly iffy with some rock music, where the electric or synthesised bass seemed to get a bit out of control. Hence...

ATC SCM7 - Great all rounders, with fantastic dynamic range. Orchestral music has real, and occasionally terrifying, slam. They also handle jazz and rock very well. Chamber and solo instrumental music, I am not so sure of - they occasionally seem to lack the necessary finesse and refinement (especially in the treble region). Still they are great all-rounders and an absolute bargain at around £500.

I have also home-demoed Spendor SA1s and Spendor A5s, and can confirm that the new A range is a different beast altogether than the old SE or classic ranges. Both have a much faster, pacier sound. I found the SA1s a little bass light although they occasionally surprised me with what sounded like a very low, yet ethereally refined bass note. I am still curious to hear how they will sound with my current electronics (or better). The A5s were great, with fast, supremely articulate bass, which, sadly, was a little much for my room.

Finally, lest you still doubt the extent of my madness, I was recovering from a minor operation in December, and, being less than mobile, found myself cruising e-Bay for bargains. One thing led to another, and before I knew it, I'd ordered a pair of AVI Neutron Vs (at £275 for a brand new pair, I found it impossible to resist). They look beautiful in piano black, and are annoyingly good. Especially annoying in that they excel in clarity, openness and airy treble - precisely the areas where I feel the SCM7s are (relatively) lacking. However, the Neutrons do not have the slam & substance of the SCM7s. Overall I think I prefer the shocking honesty of the ATCs, but it's a close thing.

Which brings us back to green vs black tea. Isthere a speaker that does both? Is there any hope for me and my affliction?

Wammer

Post imported post

Cool, thanks for sharing Nigel. Glad it's not just me that didn't like the n-Sats. They're like a pair of table-pinned mosquitos; fun for about 5 mins and quite well conceived but then you start to wonder what the hell they're for. Maybe the huge, matching sub makes them work as a more balanced package. Fair play to the designer for creating an articulate pair of speakers though.

I wish Spendor would make a larger version of the SA1 because it would be great for small to medium rooms that want a little more oomph. Just look at the range of sizes in the classic range.

I use a Rel Quake sub to support the bass of the SA1s. It's only a cheap sub (£400?) but after years of playing I've learnt that stacking about 15kg of slate on top cleans up the bass nicely. It doesn't add much at all but it's enough to augment the overall sound without swamping it with sludge. The crossover is set very low and it pressurises the room just enough to allow me to hear the low notes. Perhaps you could do another home demo of them with a sub. Another pair of speakers to try are the ATC SCM11 and 19. The latter uses the "proper" ATC 9kg advanced drive unit and can really deliver depth with accuracy. Have a read http://www.atcloudspeakers.com.au/?p=180.

DAC
     'Stu30' & 7 more
    Integrated Amp
     'Testure,Dana,Strat'
    Speakers
     'Meninblacks'
    Pre Amp
     'BB, Roy & Woxer'
    Power Amp
     'Super Testures'
    Headphones
     Sennheiser HD238
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

lol Nigel. Nice to meet another chronic dabbler in small box speakers who's also stuck in the 'black vs green tea' dilemma.:green:

I haven't found the perfect panacea for that myself, so maybe I'd suggest you go my route and put your eggs into two separate baskets: retain a ATCish system that has the dynamic backbone and set up a second system with standmounts that major on finesse. I'm sure there's some space in the bedroom for that.

If you still want to keep it to one system, you may have to up the ante (£3k budget?) for a 30cm tall standmount that does 'everything'. I haven't experienced an affordable marque that bridges the gulf between tonal purity and dynamic power. The closest I can think of is Vienna Acoustics' Haydn Grand. Unfortunately it's flanked by Spendor(finesse) and ATC(power) on either extreme, and since you are already familiar with these two, the VA might strike you as a jack of all trades but master of none. The Dyns Foci and Excites stand in line with ATC for dynamism but Dyns don't do the things Spendor specializes in.

Maybe Rob's suggestion of the SA1 matched with a sub is the solution for you.

igglebert wrote:
    I wish Spendor would make a larger version of the SA1 because it would be great for small to medium rooms that want a little more oomph. Just look at the range of sizes in the classic range.
    That sums up the dilemma I faced when I had to choose between the SCM11 and SA1. Had there been a SA2 with a bigger woofer, my decision would have been easier.

SS

Post imported post

None of you guys tried the S3e's on good stands?
    No sub required,bags of oomph and fairly cheap.
    Dont need fancy spk. cable either.
    Cake and Vodka, not the answer.

DAC
     'Stu30' & 7 more
    Integrated Amp
     'Testure,Dana,Strat'
    Speakers
     'Meninblacks'
    Pre Amp
     'BB, Roy & Woxer'
    Power Amp
     'Super Testures'
    Headphones
     Sennheiser HD238
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

The S3e was on my 2006 shopping circuit. Very good design. Got Neutron IV instead.

Didn't have time to compare it directly with the S3/5R and SA1 when I shopped last year, but I reckon I like the newer Spendors better.

Its not listed on Spendor's line up anymore. Has it been discontinued?

SS

Wammer
    Real Name
     Nigel
    Digital Source 1
     Marantz Pearl Lite
    Digital Source 2
     Sonos Connect
    Integrated Amp
     Marantz Pearl Lite
    Speakers
     KEF LS50
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

Yes, it looks like Spendor have discontinued this model, but B grade S3e's crop up fairly regularly on e-Bay, usually at a tempting price of around £499. And yes, I really am tempted as I've never heard them.

However, I'm not sure about the sub option - something in my soul revolts at the thought.

Real Name
     Jim
    Turn Table
     Rega P3
    Digital Source 1
     Meridian 506.20
    Integrated Amp
     Sugden A21a
    Speakers
     Totem Arros
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

I recently bought some S3es and I'm really pleased with them. They are a good match for the Sugden because they are an easy load and theirtweeters have great synergy with the extended highs of the Sugden.Bass is excellent for the size too.

TheSpendors don't seem to have the exagerated treblethat I find withsome speakers, which can become fatiguing over long listening periods, but they do seem to be extremely detailed. I got mine second hand for £350, which is a bargain in my view.

DAC
     'Stu30' & 7 more
    Integrated Amp
     'Testure,Dana,Strat'
    Speakers
     'Meninblacks'
    Pre Amp
     'BB, Roy & Woxer'
    Power Amp
     'Super Testures'
    Headphones
     Sennheiser HD238
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

Hi Mr Moff. Long time no see.
    Congrats on the Spendor investment. Sugden and Spendor make a potent combination. I bet that's getting you deeper into the classical repertoire these days.

Now the next upgrade you need to look at is a cd player with a proper loading tray.

cheerSS

Real Name
     Jim
    Turn Table
     Rega P3
    Digital Source 1
     Meridian 506.20
    Integrated Amp
     Sugden A21a
    Speakers
     Totem Arros
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

Funny you should say that Solid because with the cash from selling my ProAcs I bought the Spendors and a Meridian 506 cd playerwhich hasthe chunkiesttray I've ever seen. That reminds me to update my profile.

As for classical music, I'm actually listening to Beethoven's 9th at the moment but I haven't added anything to my collection for ages. I'll have a look in the Classical forum to see if I can pick up some suggestions because I really enjoy the smallselection of cds that I dohave.

By the way, I've just been reading yourmoratorium onthe Creek Evo amp. Nice write up! I'm consideringthe Evoto go in a system in my study room with eithera Naim or Rega cd player (and probably some Rega speakers but I'm not sure about this yet).

Jim