Luxman DA-100
    Integrated Amp
     Stello Ai500
    Speakers
     Aurelia Ambera
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Quote Originally Posted by Testure View Post
    Always liked the look of the 310s, though it seems yours can be custom coloured .... Pumpkin me thinks

I'm flattered but what my dear young well groomed fellow is Rockbish

Vielen danke mein schatzlein
    Just checked with the importer, custom colours for the BS243 is + 600. So if I do end up sharing the same ports as you Solid, mine will probably be standard but nice and clean in white

clean gloves hide dirty hands

DAC
    Integrated Amp
     PP-1, SS-5
    Speakers
     12pr
    Pre Amp
     Triode-3, SS-1
    Power Amp
     SE-3, PP-2, SS-2, 1D
    Headphones
     LOL
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Just checked with the importer, custom colours for the BS243 is + 600. So if I do end up sharing the same ports as you Solid, mine will probably be standard but nice and clean in white
    You always have to be different. (ps: the Titan Shadow is just as lovely as the Gloss Black.)
    I would so luv to have one speaker brand in common with you!

btw I didn't forget your earlier post but I was so engrossed listening to the 244 tonight. Today is Day 8 and a breakthrough has occurred. The sound just came together and I reckon it is thanks to you. Inspired by your appearance in the blog I had played some Rammstein on Tuesday and that helped melt away any remaining fresh-from-the-box brightness from the JETs and also woke up the AS-XR woofer in the process. And I mean really woke up. I'll type up tonite's findings at work tomorrow and report back.

All I can say is: what a smooth, clean and dynamic performer this ELAC is. (Matt, have no worries about the JET III. The HFW lab test for the 243 is spot-on. The BS240 series is superbly flat in their frequency response. The JET III is the greatest tweeter ever to have graced solidschateau. The other ones I have owned or demoed don't even come close. Just make sure you demo a BS243 that has been properly run-in.)

Today is truly the happiest day of my audiophool life!

^ and I can't stop looking at it. Changed the bulb on my IKEA uplighter to a 11W daylight-toned one and the AS-XR cone just glistened like a planetary disco-ball. If you stare at it for over ten minutes, it seems to revolve slowly.

How can something sound and look so good at the same time?!!

SS
    Last edited by SSM; 03-03-2011 at 04:19 PM.
    CONRAD-JOHNSON HD3 & ET3SE > SUN SV-2A3 L.E. 25th Anniv. SE Class A | NAIM DAC V1 > C-J CLASSIC 60SE PP
    PRIMARE DAC30 > AYRE K-5xeMP > 6V6GT SE Class A | audiolab M-DAC
    > ICON AUDIO LA4 MKIII > EL84 SE Class A
    MUSICAL FIDELITY X-T100
    (modded valve pre) > GENESIS Advanced Tech. M60 (& I60) PP | PRIMARE A34.2 Class D
    OMEGA SUPER ALNICO & 3i Monitors |
    PRECISION 6.2, ELAC BS244, ATC SCM11, S3/5R, Alnico, XERO, DM 2/6, Q 2020i
    SS relics: REGA ELICIT, ARCAM A38, Musical Fidelity X-A2, NAIM NAP 100, QUAD 909, SONY TA-F246E | (reserved)

Wammer
    Real Name
     Matt
    Digital Source 1
     Apple TV
    DAC
     Hegel HD10
    Integrated Amp
     CR Kalypso
    Speakers
     47 Lab Lens II
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Thanks SS for your words of reassurance. BTW is the tweeter height critical when sitting? Just thinking if I do take the plunge with the 243 I may need to find some 70cm stands rather than the usual 60cm. Don't have any at the mo as using floorstanders. Also do you feel they need/deserve heavy stands or will something in the 100 bracket suffice?

Sorry for so many questions, but I don't often buy kit and I want to make sure I get it right. Hi-fi never sounds the same at home as in-store.

MM

Real Name
     Davy
    Digital Source 1
     SB Touch
    DAC
     TC Electronic BMC-2
    Speakers
     Dynaudio BM6A Mk II
    Pre Amp
     TC Electronic BMC-2
    Power Amp
     4 in the speakers
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Hi SS, I've been looking at the 243 and the 244 lately myself but can only get a demo of the 243 which I'm having next week. Can I ask if you demoed the 243 as well and if so, how do the two compare? Are they pretty much of a kind with the 244 just having more depth?

Davy

DAC
    Integrated Amp
     PP-1, SS-5
    Speakers
     12pr
    Pre Amp
     Triode-3, SS-1
    Power Amp
     SE-3, PP-2, SS-2, 1D
    Headphones
     LOL
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Matt, I listen to the BS244 with my ears level with the tweeters. It sounds about right, although nothing is amiss either when I lay down on the floor. The sweet spot is simply very wide with these ELACs. As for the stands, my 60cm ones are entry level-ish but filled with sand. Sounds fine to these ears. I'm looking at changing to a silver Atacama SL500 sometime later to match the AS-XR driver. This height which places the BS244 85-ish cm tall will be just right for me.

Davy, yes the 243 and 244 have the same house sound with the 244 having more bass grunt. Happy demo-ing.

SS
    CONRAD-JOHNSON HD3 & ET3SE > SUN SV-2A3 L.E. 25th Anniv. SE Class A | NAIM DAC V1 > C-J CLASSIC 60SE PP
    MUSICAL FIDELITY X-T100
    (modded valve pre) > GENESIS Advanced Tech. M60 (& I60) PP | PRIMARE A34.2 Class D
    SS relics: REGA ELICIT, ARCAM A38, Musical Fidelity X-A2, NAIM NAP 100, QUAD 909, SONY TA-F246E | (reserved)

Real Name
     Testy
    Turn Table
     Thorens TD2010
    T/Arm & Cart
     AO250, 2m Red
    SUT/Phono
     Slee Era V Gold
    Digital Source 1
     Pioneer DVL919
    Digital Source 2
     Tascam DA-20 MkII
    DAC
     Luxman DA-100
    Integrated Amp
     Stello Ai500
    Speakers
     Aurelia Ambera
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Quote Originally Posted by SSM View Post
    Matt, I listen to the BS244 with my ears level with the tweeters. It sounds about right, although nothing is amiss either when I lay down on the floor. The sweet spot is simply very wide with these ELACs. As for the stands, my 60cm ones are entry level-ish but filled with sand. Sounds fine to these ears. I'm looking at changing to a silver Atacama SL500 sometime later to match the AS-XR driver. This height which places the BS244 85-ish cm tall will be just right for me.

Davy, yes the 243 and 244 have the same house sound with the 244 having more bass grunt. Happy demo-ing.

SS
    Just to let you know the distributor in the uk for Elac is Atacama, and they recomend the HMS 1 stands ( which are available also in white ) and are a lot cheaper than Elacs own stands.

Real Name
     Davy
    Digital Source 1
     SB Touch
    DAC
     TC Electronic BMC-2
    Speakers
     Dynaudio BM6A Mk II
    Pre Amp
     TC Electronic BMC-2
    Power Amp
     4 in the speakers
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Thansk SS, I'm really looking forward to the demo. If I can bother you again, how would you say the 244s performed with Rammstein? One of the reasons I'm thinking of switching speakers is that my current Quads don't seem to do really hard rock very well and they miss out on speed and bottom end punch. Do the 244s have enough bottom end to do hard rock justice?

DAC
    Integrated Amp
     PP-1, SS-5
    Speakers
     12pr
    Pre Amp
     Triode-3, SS-1
    Power Amp
     SE-3, PP-2, SS-2, 1D
    Headphones
     LOL
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Quote Originally Posted by DavyC View Post
    Do the 244s have enough bottom end to do hard rock justice?
    Have fun finding out at the demo.
    If hard rock forms the main core of your music collection, I reckon a Dynaudio standmount will complement such noisy music better. Their sugar-coated tweeters will soothe out the kinks.

SS
    MUSICAL FIDELITY X-T100

DAC
    Integrated Amp
     PP-1, SS-5
    Speakers
     12pr
    Pre Amp
     Triode-3, SS-1
    Power Amp
     SE-3, PP-2, SS-2, 1D
    Headphones
     LOL
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Just to let you know the distributor in the uk for Elac is Atacama, and they recomend the HMS 1 stands ( which are available also in white ) and are a lot cheaper than Elacs own stands.
    Thanks. Those look cool... when in metrosexual black.
    What's with your obsession with white? You're going to achieve a wedding cake effect if you put white ELACs on white stands.

SS
    MUSICAL FIDELITY X-T100

Real Name
     Davy
    Digital Source 1
     SB Touch
    DAC
     TC Electronic BMC-2
    Speakers
     Dynaudio BM6A Mk II
    Pre Amp
     TC Electronic BMC-2
    Power Amp
     4 in the speakers
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Hi SS, hard rock only gets played by me about 10 percent of the time. That 10% playing rock really annoys me though. I knew the shortcomings with hard rock when I got the Quads but decided I could live with it as they're so good with everything else I play. I was wrong though and it's made me stop playing hard rock at all which just won't do. Sometimes you really just need to blow your ears off

DAC
    Integrated Amp
     PP-1, SS-5
    Speakers
     12pr
    Pre Amp
     Triode-3, SS-1
    Power Amp
     SE-3, PP-2, SS-2, 1D
    Headphones
     LOL
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Quote Originally Posted by DavyC View Post
    Hi SS, hard rock only gets played by me about 10 percent of the time. That 10% playing rock really annoys me though. I knew the shortcomings with hard rock when I got the Quads but decided I could live with it as they're so good with everything else I play. I was wrong though and it's made me stop playing hard rock at all which just won't do. Sometimes you really just need to blow your ears off
    Oh I see. Then we are in the same boat. My music is 35-30-30-5% (symphonies-opera-jazz-rock) and the 5% of hard rock is to let off the occasional steam. My speakers serve my musical predilections, therefore I'm always wary of recommending any of them as the perfect solution for someone else.

Tonight's listening session has concluded so I can scribble some more. The BS244's AS-XR cones, previously overshadowed by the JET tweeters, have run-in and are asserting their own magic. Their performance is very much to my taste. The BS243 reaches down to 40Hz, and this BS244 sounds like its going to the low 30s. It has good weight but it's not delivered in the same visceral way of the SCM11. While I have no quibbles about the latter's delivery of bass power in orchestral music, where dance and techno are concerned it can be brutal. It is a sealed box design so the bass seems to be punted straight ahead at the listener. With pumping dance beats, the SCM11's power can be felt on the chest, and if the volume is too loud... an unpleasant pressure on the ear drums.

The ported BS244 does it differently. It goes deeper than the SCM11(46Hz at -6dB, HFN) but doesn't do that brutish chest-punch thing with dance music. Its deep bass seems to be directed downwards at the floor than flung towards the listener. I reckon bassheads may prefer the SCM11's presentation. That's not to say the BS244 isn't exciting. It portrayed the subterranean basslines on Sade's Soldier of Love track with greater depth and clarity.

And that brings me to the main strength of the AS-XR cone: it serves up very textured bass sounds. The concept behind the multi-faceted crystal-pressed cone must work then, i.e. to minimize distortion. Bass notes start and stop on time with no overhang. The combination of extended bass and immaculate control makes for a very rhythmic performer. I've been longing to own an upmarket standmount whose bass delivery matches the PRaT of the Epos M12.2 I had. The Dynaudio Focus 110 and ATC SCM11 couldn't quite do that (one is too rich, the other too muscle-bound), but the BS244 has achieved it.(and that's with a LF extension deeper than the M12.2, Dyn and ATC!) I can finally end my hankering to own another Epos. Bye Epos!

cheerSS
    MUSICAL FIDELITY X-T100

Real Name
     Davy
    Digital Source 1
     SB Touch
    DAC
     TC Electronic BMC-2
    Speakers
     Dynaudio BM6A Mk II
    Pre Amp
     TC Electronic BMC-2
    Power Amp
     4 in the speakers
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Thanks very much SS for the excellent write up on the 244 as well as all the other speakers you've listened to. It's much appreciated, I wish I could articulate what I hear as well as you do. It certainly sounds like the 244s could be right up my street. I'll be taking my time to make a decision this time round though as I really want my next speakers to be my last for some time

Real Name
     Testy
    Turn Table
     Thorens TD2010
    T/Arm & Cart
     AO250, 2m Red
    SUT/Phono
     Slee Era V Gold
    Digital Source 1
     Pioneer DVL919
    Digital Source 2
     Tascam DA-20 MkII
    DAC
     Luxman DA-100
    Integrated Amp
     Stello Ai500
    Speakers
     Aurelia Ambera
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Thanks. Those look cool... when in metrosexual black.
    What's with your obsession with white? You're going to achieve a wedding cake effect if you put white ELACs on white stands.

SS
    Wait to you see my lego stands at the show

White will blend better with the room so the ions disappear not just sonically.

Then again I suppose the other option would be to go for the FS 247 floor standers in Art Edition white with grey reed( well maybe not the tiger or rose finish)

The De Stijl Edition is when you really want the speakers to be seen

Last edited by Testure; 04-03-2011 at 10:55 PM.

DAC
    Integrated Amp
     PP-1, SS-5
    Speakers
     12pr
    Pre Amp
     Triode-3, SS-1
    Power Amp
     SE-3, PP-2, SS-2, 1D
    Headphones
     LOL
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Wait to you see my lego stands at the show
    You... you... you... really Lego'ed them.

(c) pic reproduced w/o the permission of le squat sasquatch Coco

Hail idiosyncratic creativity.
    I suppose the use of Lego bricks is an ingenious way to tell onlookers that the Ions do sound like toys (at least that's what a couple of pro reviews suggest). Time to upgrade to some real speakers that'll really Elacte you.

^ I agree, the des Stijl finish is very you.

SS
    Last edited by SSM; 09-03-2011 at 12:44 PM.
    MUSICAL FIDELITY X-T100

DAC
    Integrated Amp
     PP-1, SS-5
    Speakers
     12pr
    Pre Amp
     Triode-3, SS-1
    Power Amp
     SE-3, PP-2, SS-2, 1D
    Headphones
     LOL
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Day 16 and the 100-hour mark has been breached. The BS244s now sound a lot better than the demo ones heard at the Elac dealer's. Cohesive, smooth and dynamic, and the treble manages to be so highly-resolved and sweet at the same time. I have to say again that I am very glad I did not go for either the Spendor SA1 or Harbeth P3ESR at Xmas. They both remain super LS3/5a minis and I have no doubt either will provide me with hours of musical joy, but I would have missed out on the scintillating extra dimensions in performance from these German transducers. Patience truly has its rewards.

btw I was looking at foreign language reviews of ELAC speakers this evening and came across this: Light Fantastic.

Another BS244 owner who is a Star Wars fanatic!!!

I will be making contact soon to find out if we have any more attributes in common!

SS
    Last edited by SSM; 11-03-2011 at 03:10 PM. Reason: Vanity;-)
    MUSICAL FIDELITY X-T100

Real Name
     Neil
    Turn Table
     Rega P1
    T/Arm & Cart
     RB100/OM5e
    Digital Source 1
     Cambridge Audio 640C
    Digital Source 2
     Sony MDS-JB980
    DAC
     Sony MDS-JB980
    Integrated Amp
     Pioneer SA-510
    Speakers
     Wharfedale 10.3/10MX
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Well the rDAC has been in the system now for nearly 3 weeks and I'm very very impressed. It cam on song after some 60+ hours of playback, having sounded highly variable during the early stage. I'm enjoying a lovely open, detailed and warm sound, with deep, punchy bass (the boominess I had when using the Sony MD deck has now eased off a bit with the rDAC). The soundstage is incredibly wide and '3D-like'.Every different music genre I've tried - from dance to classical sounds bloody awesome.

I've also noticed the difference in detail, depth and soundstage at lower volumes, which is a bonus when listening later at night.

Very very pleased with the rDAC/A18 combination with the Wharfedales - highly recommended.

As I type this, the bottle of red I've opened is going down rather smoothly too
    Last edited by nsherin; 19-03-2011 at 02:21 AM.
    Living Room: Apple TV 3, Cambridge Audio 640C, Pioneer CT-F600/SA-510, Rega P1, Rotel RT-426, Sony MDS-JB980/PS3 Slim, Samsung UE40D5520, Wharfedale Diamond 10.3
    Bedrom: Denon DRS-610, Mission m70, Sony CDP-XE310/MDS-JE480, Yamaha RX-V890

DAC
    Integrated Amp
     PP-1, SS-5
    Speakers
     12pr
    Pre Amp
     Triode-3, SS-1
    Power Amp
     SE-3, PP-2, SS-2, 1D
    Headphones
     LOL
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    That's lovely, Neil. I certainly get your late-nite listening comment. The rDAC's super clean background and wide soundstage makes 3 a.m. sessions very pleasurable.

A few weeks down the line it may be time to kick up the performance with an aftermarket regulated PSU of higher current (>1000mA). You may be as pleasantly surprised as me and Imattersuk.

SS
    Last edited by SSM; 19-03-2011 at 08:09 AM.
    MUSICAL FIDELITY X-T100

Real Name
     Neil
    Turn Table
     Rega P1
    T/Arm & Cart
     RB100/OM5e
    Digital Source 1
     Cambridge Audio 640C
    Digital Source 2
     Sony MDS-JB980
    DAC
     Sony MDS-JB980
    Integrated Amp
     Pioneer SA-510
    Speakers
     Wharfedale 10.3/10MX
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    That's lovely, Neil. I certainly get your late-nite listening comment. The rDAC's super clean background and wide soundstage makes 3 a.m. sessions very pleasurable.

A few weeks down the line it may be time to kick up the performance with an aftermarket regulated PSU of higher current (>1000mA). You may be as pleasantly surprised as me and Imattersuk.

SS
    Thanks SSM - I'm a little broke this month - have a few commitments I need to set funds aside for - plus I splurged earlier in the month on the rDAC, but next month I'll be getting the Maplin PSU mentioned by Imattersuk.
    Living Room: Apple TV 3, Cambridge Audio 640C, Pioneer CT-F600/SA-510, Rega P1, Rotel RT-426, Sony MDS-JB980/PS3 Slim, Samsung UE40D5520, Wharfedale Diamond 10.3

Real Name
     Neil
    Turn Table
     Rega P1
    T/Arm & Cart
     RB100/OM5e
    Digital Source 1
     Cambridge Audio 640C
    Digital Source 2
     Sony MDS-JB980
    DAC
     Sony MDS-JB980
    Integrated Amp
     Pioneer SA-510
    Speakers
     Wharfedale 10.3/10MX
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Been running the FMJ A18 and rDAC combinaion for two months now and love it to bits! I've still not sorted the Maplins power supply - this will happen once I finish my super powerful PC and the slew of family birthdays etc. stops.

The smooth, detailed and punchy sounds from the FMJ and rDAC are top drawer - listening sessions of an evening go on far later than they ought to!

From Metallica to Thw Who, Crosby Stills and Nash, Chicago to the sultry sounds of the gorgeous Diana Krall, the Arcam handles it all with aplomb!

Going through 3 bottles of Pol Remy tonight with a long Bee Gees listening session - its a Bank Holiday here tomorrow. Absolutely superb!

BTW, for UK peeps, Audio T have some great bargains on Arcam amps and CDPs at the moment - the FMJ A18 is 470 along with discounts on other models!

The rDAC takes a good 100 hours to run in, but the wait is worth it! Partner with one of Arcam's amps and you'll not want to stop listening!

How are you enjoying your Arcam kit, SSM?

DAC
    Integrated Amp
     PP-1, SS-5
    Speakers
     12pr
    Pre Amp
     Triode-3, SS-1
    Power Amp
     SE-3, PP-2, SS-2, 1D
    Headphones
     LOL
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Still in love with mine too.

I've demoed a fair bit of kit over the past few years and its fair to say the Arcam sound isn't geared to throw out the most show-stopping sonics , i.e. that kind of sound (explicit treble, "midrange-on-zoom", gratuitous bass) which makes some audiophools buy on impulse but later regret their purchase.

The FMJ presentation instead, is full of subtlety and nuance which stands up well for long-term listening and ownership.Have the A28 for four months now and I've not been that motivated to check out other amps; the Rega Elicit visit has been postponed a couple of times. I reckon I'll prolly grab the A38 later on, so that I can bring the A28 to be reunited with my Spendors at the office.

And oh, did I say Arcam's FMJ offer very excellent reproduction of vocals? Ahead of Naim, most MF or any Primares IMO.

SS
    Last edited by SSM; 02-05-2011 at 05:25 AM.
    MUSICAL FIDELITY X-T100