Triode-3, SS-1
    Power Amp
     SE-3, PP-2, SS-2, 1D
    Headphones
     LOL
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Quote Originally Posted by DavyC View Post
    Hi SS, hard rock only gets played by me about 10 percent of the time. That 10% playing rock really annoys me though. I knew the shortcomings with hard rock when I got the Quads but decided I could live with it as they're so good with everything else I play. I was wrong though and it's made me stop playing hard rock at all which just won't do. Sometimes you really just need to blow your ears off
    Oh I see. Then we are in the same boat. My music is 35-30-30-5% (symphonies-opera-jazz-rock) and the 5% of hard rock is to let off the occasional steam. My speakers serve my musical predilections, therefore I'm always wary of recommending any of them as the perfect solution for someone else.

Tonight's listening session has concluded so I can scribble some more. The BS244's AS-XR cones, previously overshadowed by the JET tweeters, have run-in and are asserting their own magic. Their performance is very much to my taste. The BS243 reaches down to 40Hz, and this BS244 sounds like its going to the low 30s. It has good weight but it's not delivered in the same visceral way of the SCM11. While I have no quibbles about the latter's delivery of bass power in orchestral music, where dance and techno are concerned it can be brutal. It is a sealed box design so the bass seems to be punted straight ahead at the listener. With pumping dance beats, the SCM11's power can be felt on the chest, and if the volume is too loud... an unpleasant pressure on the ear drums.

The ported BS244 does it differently. It goes deeper than the SCM11(46Hz at -6dB, HFN) but doesn't do that brutish chest-punch thing with dance music. Its deep bass seems to be directed downwards at the floor than flung towards the listener. I reckon bassheads may prefer the SCM11's presentation. That's not to say the BS244 isn't exciting. It portrayed the subterranean basslines on Sade's Soldier of Love track with greater depth and clarity.

And that brings me to the main strength of the AS-XR cone: it serves up very textured bass sounds. The concept behind the multi-faceted crystal-pressed cone must work then, i.e. to minimize distortion. Bass notes start and stop on time with no overhang. The combination of extended bass and immaculate control makes for a very rhythmic performer. I've been longing to own an upmarket standmount whose bass delivery matches the PRaT of the Epos M12.2 I had. The Dynaudio Focus 110 and ATC SCM11 couldn't quite do that (one is too rich, the other too muscle-bound), but the BS244 has achieved it.(and that's with a LF extension deeper than the M12.2, Dyn and ATC!) I can finally end my hankering to own another Epos. Bye Epos!

cheerSS
    CONRAD-JOHNSON HD3 & ET3SE > SUN SV-2A3 L.E. 25th Anniv. SE Class A | NAIM DAC V1 > C-J CLASSIC 60SE PP
    PRIMARE DAC30 > AYRE K-5xeMP > 6V6GT SE Class A | audiolab M-DAC
    > ICON AUDIO LA4 MKIII > EL84 SE Class A
    MUSICAL FIDELITY X-T100
    (modded valve pre) > GENESIS Advanced Tech. M60 (& I60) PP | PRIMARE A34.2 Class D
    OMEGA SUPER ALNICO & 3i Monitors |
    PRECISION 6.2, ELAC BS244, ATC SCM11, S3/5R, Alnico, XERO, DM 2/6, Q 2020i
    SS relics: REGA ELICIT, ARCAM A38, Musical Fidelity X-A2, NAIM NAP 100, QUAD 909, SONY TA-F246E | MiniWatt N3

Real Name
     Davy
    Digital Source 1
     SB Touch
    DAC
     TC Electronic BMC-2
    Speakers
     Dynaudio BM6A Mk II
    Pre Amp
     TC Electronic BMC-2
    Power Amp
     4 in the speakers
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Thanks very much SS for the excellent write up on the 244 as well as all the other speakers you've listened to. It's much appreciated, I wish I could articulate what I hear as well as you do. It certainly sounds like the 244s could be right up my street. I'll be taking my time to make a decision this time round though as I really want my next speakers to be my last for some time

Real Name
     Testy
    Turn Table
     Thorens TD2010
    T/Arm & Cart
     AO250, 2m Red
    SUT/Phono
     Slee Era V Gold
    Digital Source 1
     Pioneer DVL919
    Digital Source 2
     Tascam DA-20 MkII
    DAC
     Luxman DA-100
    Integrated Amp
     Stello Ai500
    Speakers
     Aurelia Ambera
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Quote Originally Posted by SSM View Post
    Thanks. Those look cool... when in metrosexual black.
    What's with your obsession with white? You're going to achieve a wedding cake effect if you put white ELACs on white stands.

SS
    Wait to you see my lego stands at the show

White will blend better with the room so the ions disappear not just sonically.

Then again I suppose the other option would be to go for the FS 247 floor standers in Art Edition white with grey reed( well maybe not the tiger or rose finish)

The De Stijl Edition is when you really want the speakers to be seen

Last edited by Testure; 04-03-2011 at 09:55 PM.

clean gloves hide dirty hands

DAC
    Integrated Amp
     SE-1, PP-1, SS-5
    Speakers
     14pr
    Pre Amp
     Triode-3, SS-1
    Power Amp
     SE-3, PP-2, SS-2, 1D
    Headphones
     LOL
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Quote Originally Posted by Testure View Post
    Wait to you see my lego stands at the show
    You... you... you... really Lego'ed them.

(c) pic reproduced w/o the permission of le squat sasquatch Coco

Hail idiosyncratic creativity.
    I suppose the use of Lego bricks is an ingenious way to tell onlookers that the Ions do sound like toys (at least that's what a couple of pro reviews suggest). Time to upgrade to some real speakers that'll really Elacte you.

^ I agree, the des Stijl finish is very you.

SS
    Last edited by SSM; 09-03-2011 at 11:44 AM.
    CONRAD-JOHNSON HD3 & ET3SE > SUN SV-2A3 L.E. 25th Anniv. SE Class A | NAIM DAC V1 > C-J CLASSIC 60SE PP
    MUSICAL FIDELITY X-T100
    (modded valve pre) > GENESIS Advanced Tech. M60 (& I60) PP | PRIMARE A34.2 Class D
    SS relics: REGA ELICIT, ARCAM A38, Musical Fidelity X-A2, NAIM NAP 100, QUAD 909, SONY TA-F246E | MiniWatt N3

DAC
    Integrated Amp
     SE-1, PP-1, SS-5
    Speakers
     14pr
    Pre Amp
     Triode-3, SS-1
    Power Amp
     SE-3, PP-2, SS-2, 1D
    Headphones
     LOL
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Day 16 and the 100-hour mark has been breached. The BS244s now sound a lot better than the demo ones heard at the Elac dealer's. Cohesive, smooth and dynamic, and the treble manages to be so highly-resolved and sweet at the same time. I have to say again that I am very glad I did not go for either the Spendor SA1 or Harbeth P3ESR at Xmas. They both remain super LS3/5a minis and I have no doubt either will provide me with hours of musical joy, but I would have missed out on the scintillating extra dimensions in performance from these German transducers. Patience truly has its rewards.

btw I was looking at foreign language reviews of ELAC speakers this evening and came across this: Light Fantastic.

Another BS244 owner who is a Star Wars fanatic!!!

I will be making contact soon to find out if we have any more attributes in common!

SS
    Last edited by SSM; 11-03-2011 at 02:10 PM. Reason: Vanity;-)
    MUSICAL FIDELITY X-T100

Real Name
     Neil
    Turn Table
     Rega P1
    T/Arm & Cart
     RB100/OM5e
    SUT/Phono
     QTK Sound
    Digital Source 1
     NAD C541i
    Digital Source 2
     Sony MDS-JB980
    DAC
     Sony MDS-JB980
    Integrated Amp
     NAD C315BEE
    Speakers
     Wharfedale 10.3
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Well the rDAC has been in the system now for nearly 3 weeks and I'm very very impressed. It cam on song after some 60+ hours of playback, having sounded highly variable during the early stage. I'm enjoying a lovely open, detailed and warm sound, with deep, punchy bass (the boominess I had when using the Sony MD deck has now eased off a bit with the rDAC). The soundstage is incredibly wide and '3D-like'.Every different music genre I've tried - from dance to classical sounds bloody awesome.

I've also noticed the difference in detail, depth and soundstage at lower volumes, which is a bonus when listening later at night.

Very very pleased with the rDAC/A18 combination with the Wharfedales - highly recommended.

As I type this, the bottle of red I've opened is going down rather smoothly too
    Last edited by nsherin; 19-03-2011 at 01:21 AM.
    Living Room: Apple TV 3, NAD C315BEE/C541i, Rega P1, Sony MDS-JB980/PS3 Slim, Samsung UE40D5520, Wharfedale Diamond 10.3, Yamaha KX-580

DAC
    Integrated Amp
     SE-1, PP-1, SS-5
    Speakers
     14pr
    Pre Amp
     Triode-3, SS-1
    Power Amp
     SE-3, PP-2, SS-2, 1D
    Headphones
     LOL
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    That's lovely, Neil. I certainly get your late-nite listening comment. The rDAC's super clean background and wide soundstage makes 3 a.m. sessions very pleasurable.

A few weeks down the line it may be time to kick up the performance with an aftermarket regulated PSU of higher current (>1000mA). You may be as pleasantly surprised as me and Imattersuk.

SS
    Last edited by SSM; 19-03-2011 at 07:09 AM.
    MUSICAL FIDELITY X-T100

Real Name
     Neil
    Turn Table
     Rega P1
    T/Arm & Cart
     RB100/OM5e
    SUT/Phono
     QTK Sound
    Digital Source 1
     NAD C541i
    Digital Source 2
     Sony MDS-JB980
    DAC
     Sony MDS-JB980
    Integrated Amp
     NAD C315BEE
    Speakers
     Wharfedale 10.3
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    That's lovely, Neil. I certainly get your late-nite listening comment. The rDAC's super clean background and wide soundstage makes 3 a.m. sessions very pleasurable.

A few weeks down the line it may be time to kick up the performance with an aftermarket regulated PSU of higher current (>1000mA). You may be as pleasantly surprised as me and Imattersuk.

SS
    Thanks SSM - I'm a little broke this month - have a few commitments I need to set funds aside for - plus I splurged earlier in the month on the rDAC, but next month I'll be getting the Maplin PSU mentioned by Imattersuk.
    Living Room: Apple TV 3, NAD C315BEE/C541i, Rega P1, Sony MDS-JB980/PS3 Slim, Samsung UE40D5520, Wharfedale Diamond 10.3, Yamaha KX-580

Real Name
     Neil
    Turn Table
     Rega P1
    T/Arm & Cart
     RB100/OM5e
    SUT/Phono
     QTK Sound
    Digital Source 1
     NAD C541i
    Digital Source 2
     Sony MDS-JB980
    DAC
     Sony MDS-JB980
    Integrated Amp
     NAD C315BEE
    Speakers
     Wharfedale 10.3
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Been running the FMJ A18 and rDAC combinaion for two months now and love it to bits! I've still not sorted the Maplins power supply - this will happen once I finish my super powerful PC and the slew of family birthdays etc. stops.

The smooth, detailed and punchy sounds from the FMJ and rDAC are top drawer - listening sessions of an evening go on far later than they ought to!

From Metallica to Thw Who, Crosby Stills and Nash, Chicago to the sultry sounds of the gorgeous Diana Krall, the Arcam handles it all with aplomb!

Going through 3 bottles of Pol Remy tonight with a long Bee Gees listening session - its a Bank Holiday here tomorrow. Absolutely superb!

BTW, for UK peeps, Audio T have some great bargains on Arcam amps and CDPs at the moment - the FMJ A18 is £470 along with discounts on other models!

The rDAC takes a good 100 hours to run in, but the wait is worth it! Partner with one of Arcam's amps and you'll not want to stop listening!

How are you enjoying your Arcam kit, SSM?

DAC
    Integrated Amp
     SE-1, PP-1, SS-5
    Speakers
     14pr
    Pre Amp
     Triode-3, SS-1
    Power Amp
     SE-3, PP-2, SS-2, 1D
    Headphones
     LOL
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Still in love with mine too.

I've demoed a fair bit of kit over the past few years and its fair to say the Arcam sound isn't geared to throw out the most show-stopping sonics , i.e. that kind of sound (explicit treble, "midrange-on-zoom", gratuitous bass) which makes some audiophools buy on impulse but later regret their purchase.

The FMJ presentation instead, is full of subtlety and nuance which stands up well for long-term listening and ownership.Have the A28 for four months now and I've not been that motivated to check out other amps; the Rega Elicit visit has been postponed a couple of times. I reckon I'll prolly grab the A38 later on, so that I can bring the A28 to be reunited with my Spendors at the office.

And oh, did I say Arcam's FMJ offer very excellent reproduction of vocals? Ahead of Naim, most MF or any Primares IMO.

SS
    Last edited by SSM; 02-05-2011 at 04:25 AM.
    MUSICAL FIDELITY X-T100

Wammer
    Digital Source 1
     MF VLink192/Rega DAC
    Digital Source 2
     Squeezebox V3
    DAC
     AQ, PS Audio DLIII
    Integrated Amp
     Arcam A28/Cayin A88T
    Speakers
     Dali Mentor Menuet
    Pre Amp
     TVC Promitheus Ref4
    Power Amp
     Biamp TA10.1/Cayin
    Headphones
     Audeze LCD2 Rev2
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    wow this blog looks gold! I , too own an arcam a28 and was wondering what to pair them with as I have recently sold off the MA RS6s (way too bright, sub-par soundstage/imaging). Guess this thread will keep me busy at work!

DAC
    Integrated Amp
     SE-1, PP-1, SS-5
    Speakers
     14pr
    Pre Amp
     Triode-3, SS-1
    Power Amp
     SE-3, PP-2, SS-2, 1D
    Headphones
     LOL
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    I demoed the A38 with B&W CM9 and this combo produced sterling sound. Arcam synergized well with B&W's favoured Kevlar woofers , which I have heard produced thick muffly sounds with less-disciplined/clean amps. None of that MA tweeter brightness either. Have a look at the CM8 or other B&Ws IMO.

Arcam FMJ coupled with a thoroughbred Spendor mini gives the ultimate in tonal smoothness which is very seductive to listen to, especially for acoustic and vocal music.

If you're planning to live dangerously, the A28 coupled to ELAC rockets like the BS243/BS244 sounds anything but safe and cuddly (as with Spendor). Resolution, speed and dynamics outstrip the A38/CM9 combo, yet the sound stays balanced at all times. Just listened to Tchai's 1812 Overture for the first time thru' the glossy Germans and was just blown away by the razor-sharp imaging and powerful bass (those cannons!)

Michael Tilson Thomas' Swan Lake is spinning now and the spacious hall ambience is astounding. The reproduction of cymbals is brilliant!!!

cheerSS
    Last edited by SSM; 07-05-2011 at 02:30 AM.
    MUSICAL FIDELITY X-T100

DAC
    Integrated Amp
     SE-1, PP-1, SS-5
    Speakers
     14pr
    Pre Amp
     Triode-3, SS-1
    Power Amp
     SE-3, PP-2, SS-2, 1D
    Headphones
     LOL
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    PS: You got the MF V-Link coupled to the Rega DAC

Is the sonic performance better than the Rega DAC fed directly from a PC's USB output?

SS
    MUSICAL FIDELITY X-T100

Wammer
    Digital Source 1
     MF VLink192/Rega DAC
    Digital Source 2
     Squeezebox V3
    DAC
     AQ, PS Audio DLIII
    Integrated Amp
     Arcam A28/Cayin A88T
    Speakers
     Dali Mentor Menuet
    Pre Amp
     TVC Promitheus Ref4
    Power Amp
     Biamp TA10.1/Cayin
    Headphones
     Audeze LCD2 Rev2
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    I demoed the A38 with B&W CM9 and this combo produced sterling sound. Arcam synergized well with B&W's favoured Kevlar woofers , which I have heard produced thick muffly sounds with less-disciplined/clean amps. None of that MA tweeter brightness either. Have a look at the CM8 or other B&Ws IMO.

Arcam FMJ coupled with a thoroughbred Spendor mini gives the ultimate in tonal smoothness which is very seductive to listen to, especially for acoustic and vocal music.

If you're planning to live dangerously, the A28 coupled to ELAC rockets like the BS243/BS244 sounds anything but safe and cuddly (as with Spendor). Resolution, speed and dynamics outstrip the A38/CM9 combo, yet the sound stays balanced at all times. Just listened to Tchai's 1812 Overture for the first time thru' the glossy Germans and was just blown away by the razor-sharp imaging and powerful bass (those cannons!)

Michael Tilson Thomas' Swan Lake is spinning now and the spacious hall ambience is astounding. The reproduction of cymbals is brilliant!!!

cheerSS
    Thanks for the recommendations mate; will try to audition them when I can. Interestingly enough, there is a 2nd hand B&W cm7 floating around now. They look dead sexy, unfortunately I have read that their metal tweeters might wreak havoc on my sensitive ears?

My research has led me to soft-dome speakers such as Dynaudio and Totem. Have you any experience with them? I am seriously considering Totem Arros/Sttaf or the Dynaudio Excite series

Wammer
    Digital Source 1
     MF VLink192/Rega DAC
    Digital Source 2
     Squeezebox V3
    DAC
     AQ, PS Audio DLIII
    Integrated Amp
     Arcam A28/Cayin A88T
    Speakers
     Dali Mentor Menuet
    Pre Amp
     TVC Promitheus Ref4
    Power Amp
     Biamp TA10.1/Cayin
    Headphones
     Audeze LCD2 Rev2
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    PS: You got the MF V-Link coupled to the Rega DAC

Is the sonic performance better than the Rega DAC fed directly from a PC's USB output?

SS
    TBH I did most of my listening from day one using the V-Link. But if memory serves me right, the straight-up rega USB implementation was slightly less "air-ier" and focused than the v-link. Again, there are several factors at play here such as the software drivers used as well as the digital coax cable used (I use winamp with WASAPI output at 96khz and van den hul integration hybrid coax cable)

DAC
    Integrated Amp
     SE-1, PP-1, SS-5
    Speakers
     14pr
    Pre Amp
     Triode-3, SS-1
    Power Amp
     SE-3, PP-2, SS-2, 1D
    Headphones
     LOL
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Doh. I knew I needed to do something but kept forgetting... i.e. implement the WASPI output on my USB. Will do that now.

If you're sensitive to metal tweeters, Dyn's soft domes could be your cuppa tea. Heard the Excite X12 prior to buying my latest speakers, it's a real sweetie - a small speaker with a big sound. That said, I wasn't offended with bright treble when I demoed the A38 with the CM9s. The Arcam's well-controlled top end might have reined any excesses in.

Ta for the notes on the R-DAC/V-Link.

cheerSS
    MUSICAL FIDELITY X-T100

DAC
    Integrated Amp
     SE-1, PP-1, SS-5
    Speakers
     14pr
    Pre Amp
     Triode-3, SS-1
    Power Amp
     SE-3, PP-2, SS-2, 1D
    Headphones
     LOL
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Audio-wise, 2011 is turning out to be one where I drool for weeks over webpages of new kit, go out to shop but come back with something else that's off the radar.

I decided to reward myself today for all the hard work done since Jan with a new integrated amp. I demoed a quartet of brit integrateds (all lovely in their own ways) but had a nagging feeling that they weren't going to transform the sound of my main rig in a significant way (from the Arcam FMJ A28) that I wanted.

At the last dealer, my eyes wandered to the Quad 909 power amp sitting forlornly in the corner. It looked so cute and compact. I could not resist asking for a hearing, but not with the fugly 99 preamp but the lovely compact QC Twenty-Four tubed preamp. This would make for hybrid amp combo akin to my MF X-T100 & X-170PSU setup.

When the first notes wafted through I knew I had found the perfect partners for my ELACs!!!

I decided to grab the 909 first and try it with the preamp outs from my various integrated amps. The pre-outs from my tubed MF X-CAN v8P got first dibs and the combo sounds divine already. My heart is set on the sublime Q24 though and after I've satisfied myself with all other pre-outs at my disposal, that little tubed beauty is coming home. For £1.8k this combo kicks butt with the newer brit integrateds. For comparison, Naim's wonderful NAIT XS sounds like it has holes in its midrange, and the vocal reproduction offered by Arcam's stunning FMJ A38 now takes second place.

Pre-power is definitely the way forward. QUAD has now atoned for the horrendous 12L speakers I had in 2006.

^ Madame Sade never sounded more divine!

Helloooooo Tones-baby. I finally did it and joined you in your Quadophilic old age. But I ain't playing a note of Bach on it.

The ELACs were beguiling singers with my Arcam FMJ A28 but the MF X-CANv8P/QUAD 909 just took them to a whole new level. The soundstage is HUGE and now it seems my room's walls are the only bondaries to the positioning of the musicians. I am so ELATed.

SS
    MUSICAL FIDELITY X-T100

Real Name
     Tony
    Turn Table
     Linn LP12/Armageddon
    T/Arm & Cart
     Ekos/Klyde
    SUT/Phono
     Creek
    Digital Source 1
     Meridian 588
    Digital Source 2
     Sony Universal
    Speakers
     Quad ESL-57, LS3/5a
    Pre Amp
     EAR834, Quad 44
    Power Amp
     Quad II, Quad 606
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Helloooooo Tones-baby. I finally did it and joined you in your Quadophilic old age. But I ain't playing a note of Bach on it.
    Good buy, ol' spud. As you have now perhaps attained hi-fi maturity, I can but hope that one day you will also attain musical maturity. This, I realise, is a long shot, but perhaps the age of miracles is not yet vorbei. In the meantime, you can join with us in the Quad anthem, not written by Bach, but he knew and used Johann Crüger's marvellous hymn melody:

How thankful we’re for Quad, for instruments and voices
    It wondrous things hath done, in which sound world rejoices
    From Walker’s earliest steps that sent Quad on its way
    With innovative gear that still sounds good today

O may this bounteous Quad through all our lives be near us,
    With ever joyful sounds that never cease to cheer us;
    And keeps us from the craze to upgrade when perplexed;
    And frees us from the ill about what to buy next!

All praise and thanks to Quad, which gives musical heaven
    Quad II, three-three, four-four, 303, fifty seven,
    Although we find it sad that Huntingdon’s no more;
    The Real Thing soldiers on, and shall for evermore.
    The man with the golden ear trumpet

Real Name
     Stewart
    Turn Table
     NOT AT THE MOMENT!
    Digital Source 1
     Yes I have one
    Integrated Amp
     DenonAVPA1/Crown
    Speakers
     IAS, horns, modified
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    I don't want to say this.............................................. but I did tell you that the only way to go for fidelity was a separate pre and power.
    NA NA NA NA.
    S
    ps Peter would be proud of you Tony!
    I am just a soul boy at heart.

DAC
    Integrated Amp
     SE-1, PP-1, SS-5
    Speakers
     14pr
    Pre Amp
     Triode-3, SS-1
    Power Amp
     SE-3, PP-2, SS-2, 1D
    Headphones
     LOL
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Read your replies quite a while ago, mates but I couldn't respond... because I was lulled into a state of utmost musical satisfaction thanks to the glorious sound pouring forth from the QUAD and ELACs. Ahhhh...

Someone ought to email Tones' Quad Anthem to the company. They should reproduce it in their next Quad product brochure.

And no, our new QUAD solidarity is not going to induce me to listen to any Bach on it. Already the 909 has been put to the task of glorifying the music of the greatest of masters --- Wagner. Listened to Siegmund's and Sieglinde's incestuous love duet in Act I of Die Walker, errr, Die Walkure. The resolution in the midrange is just sublime. This is as close to a perfect performance that I'd ever need.

Will post more thoughts on the 909 and the brit integrateds over the week. Meanwhile, I'm continuing to listen until dawn!

SS
    MUSICAL FIDELITY X-T100