DAC
     Sony MDS-JB980
    Integrated Amp
     NAD C315BEE
    Speakers
     Wharfedale 10.3
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Playing 'World in my Eyes' off Depeche Mode's 'Violator' album right now - this is a fast pace song and the FMJ and Wharfe's are grooving along nicely to this. I keep reaching for the remote to crank the volume up There is plenty of attack, bass and detail here.

Agree with you on the qualities of the Arcam versus the Marantz - the PM6003 was wallowy, wooley and just lacking in much enthusiasm and detail. The Arcam was the complete opposite and well worth double the asking price of the Marantz (especially as I got 145 off as it was on offer).

I reckon you'll love the combination of the 10.1s with the A28. The 10.3s use exactly the same size drivers, but are the floorstanding option. Build and sound quality of these are way higher than the very decent asking price.

Enjoy the music too, SSM
    Apple TV 3, NAD C315BEE/C541i, Project Phono Box E, Rega P1, Sony MDS-JB980/PS3/ST-S261 Slim, Samsung UE40D5520, Wharfedale Diamond 10.3, Yamaha KX-580

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    very insensitive; needs a powerful amp

Splid, I don't think the second part of that statement is true. There is a limit as to how loud you can play the S3/5R. In addition, they are also intended for smaller rooms. And they are a very easy load. I run them with a 60 watt amp, and there's more than enough power for the loudest level I would ever listen to. They are a beautifully balanced speaker for classical music in smaller rooms, and a bargain compared with the Harbeth P3ESR
    I coulda been somebody, instead of a bum, which is what I am, let's face it.

DAC
    Integrated Amp
     SE-1, PP-1, SS-5
    Speakers
     14pr
    Pre Amp
     Triode-3, SS-1
    Power Amp
     SE-3, PP-2, SS-2, 1D
    Headphones
     LOL
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Sure, it is possible to get usable sound levels out of the S3/5R with lesser-powered amps. My S3/5R's first partner, a 50W NAD C326BEE, drove it fine. But things changed when the MF-XT100-X-170PSU and X-A2 were pressed into service. The maximum continuous wattage of both units' veered around the 100 mark. The extra wattage definitely opened the throttles further. Leonard Bernstein's no-holds-barred live recording of Mahler's 9th with the Royal Concertgebouw was just okay with the NAD, but with the MFs the climaxes were massively powerful. The sheer wall of roiling orchestral power was beyond what the NAD's 50W could muster.

So that statement is better qualified by a further expansion: "needs a powerful amp to truly impress with large-scale music"

SS
    CONRAD-JOHNSON HD3 & ET3SE > SUN SV-2A3 L.E. 25th Anniv. SE Class A | NAIM DAC V1 > C-J CLASSIC 60SE PP
    PRIMARE DAC30 > AYRE K-5xeMP > 6V6GT SE Class A | audiolab M-DAC
    > ICON AUDIO LA4 MKIII > EL84 SE Class A
    MUSICAL FIDELITY X-T100
    (modded valve pre) > GENESIS Advanced Tech. M60 (& I60) PP | PRIMARE A34.2 Class D
    OMEGA SUPER ALNICO & 3i Monitors |
    PRECISION 6.2, ELAC BS244, ATC SCM11, S3/5R, Alnico, XERO, DM 2/6, Q 2020i
    SS relics: REGA ELICIT, ARCAM A38, Musical Fidelity X-A2, NAIM NAP 100, QUAD 909, SONY TA-F246E | MiniWatt N3

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Some of those old MF amps were great. I've got an unmolested XA2 driving some Epos ES12s in another room. Luvly. I picked up the amp, speakers and the matching stands three years ago for 250! Amazingly good sound for so little money. Have never tried it with my S3/5Rs though. They seem happy enough with my Bryston B60 (also from another Wammer).
    I coulda been somebody, instead of a bum, which is what I am, let's face it.

Super Wammer
    Excellent blog Solid.
    The Chinese stuff is very good speaker wise. Of course at the heart
    of loads of those Chinese drive units in wharfies quad etc is Stan Curtis.

He is a Brit who is at the head of one of the biggest speaker manufactures in the World.
    Peter Commeau is also there.

The British influence is everywhere.

How are ya?
    Men who never get carried away should be

DAC
    Integrated Amp
     SE-1, PP-1, SS-5
    Speakers
     14pr
    Pre Amp
     Triode-3, SS-1
    Power Amp
     SE-3, PP-2, SS-2, 1D
    Headphones
     LOL
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Hi Lexi(ps: I think you wandered off to the wrong solidsblog)

I am fine. mid-2010 to now is shaping up to be my most prosperous era in my working life. The tragedy is I have less time for leisure compared to 2006-2009. Just came back from work and despite downing 500ml of chocolate milk in a bid to get to sleep (because I have to be back at HQ in five hours' time!) I'm still awake. And having my Arcam-Spendor seduce me with soft jazz isn't helping any...

Your mention of Peter Comeau is eerie; sickeningly eerie and coincidental I may add, and it's accidentally forcing my hand here.

The brand of speaker that I have used and owned for the longest spell (over 40 months) is Castle's Harlech S2 and it didn't escape my notice that Knight 2 standmount from the new Castle line has nabbed HFC award for Best Speaker up to 2000. I have been surveying the Castle line and the Knight 4 and 5 floorstanders have been intriguing me. They use an improved version of the QuarterWave bass transmission system whose predecessor was first implemented in the Harlech S2 and Howard S3. I was thinking this bass system could be a good compromise between the ported and sealed box design. I do love sealed boxes but the inefficiency can drive me and my amps up the wall sometimes.

The Tipocan Epos dealer had become a good friend during my Epos speaker period. He stocks the Knight line too and I could have a dual -listen too when the Epos Epic range rolls in to Tipoca. The Knight 4 is particularly tempting for its ridiculously affordable* price (850). Its dimensions are basically a Spendor S3/5's width and depth extended to the floor.

* compared with the precious Harbeths and ProAcs I'd been surveying

What spoils the new Castle range is the IAG affiliation. The last IAG speaker I had was the Quad 12L (I rate it five turds) and I'm dreading the Knights are a variation on the Quad L theme. There is a sliver of hope, though, that the old Castle sound survives in the Knights thanks to Mr Comeau's designs and I'm sure my curiosity will compel me to have a listen... for old times' sake.

cheerSS for now, off to bed
    Last edited by SSM; 13-02-2011 at 04:43 PM. Reason: Vanity;-)
    CONRAD-JOHNSON HD3 & ET3SE > SUN SV-2A3 L.E. 25th Anniv. SE Class A | NAIM DAC V1 > C-J CLASSIC 60SE PP
    MUSICAL FIDELITY X-T100
    (modded valve pre) > GENESIS Advanced Tech. M60 (& I60) PP | PRIMARE A34.2 Class D
    SS relics: REGA ELICIT, ARCAM A38, Musical Fidelity X-A2, NAIM NAP 100, QUAD 909, SONY TA-F246E | MiniWatt N3

Super Wammer
    Excellent news with work'nall dude...........best take the money while it lasts. Leisure etc will come again.

Comeau's old Heybrook were excellent speakers moons ago.

The guys that started Castle speakers in UK were ex Wharfedale employess.

I couldnt' get logged into Wam for yonks........since the new format.

Good to see your are still dabbling in the old stereo stuff.

DAC
    Integrated Amp
     SE-1, PP-1, SS-5
    Speakers
     14pr
    Pre Amp
     Triode-3, SS-1
    Power Amp
     SE-3, PP-2, SS-2, 1D
    Headphones
     LOL
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Quote Originally Posted by lexi View Post
    The guys that started Castle speakers in UK were ex Wharfedale employess.
    I didn't know that! Wow, so some ex-Wharfies got together to make even better speakers than their own company's (sorta like Q Acoustics and Mission). Cool!

Yeah, I got some ancient scotch blood in me too and will ssquirrel some of this year's money away. You never know what next year will bringbut once you have a nice pair of fresh beautiful speakers, you can face anything life throws at 'cha.

SS
    Last edited by SSM; 14-02-2011 at 11:28 AM.
    MUSICAL FIDELITY X-T100

Real Name
     Neil
    Turn Table
     Rega P1
    T/Arm & Cart
     RB100/OM5e
    SUT/Phono
     QTK Sound
    Digital Source 1
     NAD C541i
    Digital Source 2
     Sony MDS-JB980
    DAC
     Sony MDS-JB980
    Integrated Amp
     NAD C315BEE
    Speakers
     Wharfedale 10.3
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    SSM,

Any plans on getting some Wharfies on the end of that Arcam? I think you'll be very impressed!

As soon as my old Onkyo AV amp is back from repair, it's getting sold and I'm off out to buy an rDAC!

Wish this damn blocked right ear would go (the aftereffects of a cold) - I'll be glad to listen in proper stereo again!
    Last edited by nsherin; 17-02-2011 at 08:10 PM.
    Apple TV 3, NAD C315BEE/C541i, Project Phono Box E, Rega P1, Sony MDS-JB980/PS3/ST-S261 Slim, Samsung UE40D5520, Wharfedale Diamond 10.3, Yamaha KX-580

DAC
    Integrated Amp
     SE-1, PP-1, SS-5
    Speakers
     14pr
    Pre Amp
     Triode-3, SS-1
    Power Amp
     SE-3, PP-2, SS-2, 1D
    Headphones
     LOL
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    I'm sure the little Wharfie will impress. But so will a Mission 792se. Heard it yesterday (see Audiolab 8200 thread), it's quite PRaTty and most good-looking. Oh, so many speaker temptations out there...

Smart thinking, speeding up your rDac acquisition. Once in the loop with the A18, it will complete the Arcam house sound and the synergy will have you beaming. One of the first music you must try is some jazz drumming to hear the delicious delicacy of a stick pattering on a hi-hat. Then knock yourself out with some vocal music.

cheerSS
    MUSICAL FIDELITY X-T100

Digital Source 1
     Ipad/AppleTV airplay
    Digital Source 2
     Marantz SA-15s2 DAC
    Integrated Amp
     Densen B-130+
    Speakers
     B&W N805s
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Quote Originally Posted by SSM View Post
    Despite the Prodigy dig, "Smack My Bitch Up" positively bounced through the A28-S3/5R duo.
    I have very little to add to this thread, but I just wanted to say that despite my likewise classical/jazz leanings, Prodigy's "Smack My Bitch Up" is also one of my favourite ways of testing hifi. Scary how much subtle detail they put into such unsubtle music
    Gear: Shiny silver boxes, shiny silver stands, with a hint of red-stained cherrywood on top

DAC
    Integrated Amp
     SE-1, PP-1, SS-5
    Speakers
     14pr
    Pre Amp
     Triode-3, SS-1
    Power Amp
     SE-3, PP-2, SS-2, 1D
    Headphones
     LOL
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Quote Originally Posted by skazz View Post
    I have very little to add to this thread, but I just wanted to say that despite my likewise classical/jazz leanings, Prodigy's "Smack My Bitch Up" is also one of my favourite ways of testing hifi. Scary how much subtle detail they put into such unsubtle music
    So true. Its a great test of a system's ability at tracking complex timing; the guitar chords, synthesizer and drum beats are at a three-way rhythmical war with one another. The biggest smack I've ever heard put into it comes from the NAIT XS. The FMJ A28 plays it more subtle but matches the taut timing.

This song is all I know of The Prodigy (whoever they are). I borrowed a copy from a mate after I heard it in "Charlie's Angels" (great movie)

SS
    MUSICAL FIDELITY X-T100

Digital Source 1
     Ipad/AppleTV airplay
    Digital Source 2
     Marantz SA-15s2 DAC
    Integrated Amp
     Densen B-130+
    Speakers
     B&W N805s
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Quote Originally Posted by SSM View Post
    This song is all I know of The Prodigy (whoever they are). I borrowed a copy from a mate after I heard it in "Charlie's Angels" (great movie)
    SS
    It's from the album The Fat of the Land. In addition to that track, Firestarter and Climbatize (particularly for the low low synth bass line) are also very good, but my favourite is Breathe.
    Gear: Shiny silver boxes, shiny silver stands, with a hint of red-stained cherrywood on top

DAC
    Integrated Amp
     SE-1, PP-1, SS-5
    Speakers
     14pr
    Pre Amp
     Triode-3, SS-1
    Power Amp
     SE-3, PP-2, SS-2, 1D
    Headphones
     LOL
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Amazon order secured. Ta
    Climbatize sounds like another good demo track.
    MUSICAL FIDELITY X-T100

DAC
    Integrated Amp
     SE-1, PP-1, SS-5
    Speakers
     14pr
    Pre Amp
     Triode-3, SS-1
    Power Amp
     SE-3, PP-2, SS-2, 1D
    Headphones
     LOL
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Divine Speakers

Audio-wise, it has been a busy weekend leading to a bizarre-ish outcome. New cute little speakers are coming to solidschateau and yet like the surprise Arcam A28 purchase, they are not the wishlisted item I had been obsessing over recently. I had been reading all online reviews of the PMC DB1i over the weekend, quizzing one dinky owner (Gsrai) and poring over lab tests to figure how its frequency response will chime with my amps and room. And then something else sneaked in. Delete delete delete... all PMC weblinks from solidsbrowser. Next time I am in the market for a new toy, I think I will skip the research.

Monday morning I took my usual walk to the office building. In the exceptionally clear sky was something I had never seen before. Two perfectly straight lines of cloud crossed each other. It was just surreal.

^ This is the clearest shot I got. It spanned the entire sky I tell ya.

Fast forward to a surprise evening visit to the audio mall. Never got to glimpse the DB1i. I passed by Dynaudio first and noticed something. I was last in the store two years ago to check out the X16. Now the Excite range is available in gloss finishes and the glossy white is the wet dream of any true stormtrooper!!! I am familiar with the virtues and vices of the X16, which I passed over in favour of the SCM11 which is superior as a full-bandwidth standmount. But can the compact X12 cut it as a quality mini-monitor?

In a nutshell, I like it more than the Focus 110 or X16. It sounded better as it didn't aim to reproduce sub-40Hz bass like the other two. I owned the Focus 110 in 2007 and found the midrange subservient to the powerful deep bass. Amazing as its bass reach is, it is just too much for a standmount with a 5-inch cone IMO. WHF put it best when it described the Focus as tonally "cosseting". The X12 isn't like that. It didn't have to plumb the sub-40Hz region (a plus or minus depending on how committed a basshead you are) and as a consequence it sounds freer and more agile, with imaging being particularly spacious. This is probably the closest Dynaudio ever gets to making a LS3/5a-ish monitor.

However, the X12 isn't in the same Beeb-box stable as the Spendor SA1, S3/5R or Harbeth P3ESR. These LS3/5a thoroughbreds possess that trademark smoothness in their midrange and have a panoramic wide dispersion of high frequency sounds. While the X12's treble is very open and ambient, its left-right spread is narrower, especially compared to the SA1's wide-surround tweeter. The vertical spread is impressive though. Just like the Focus 110, the X12's tweeters give the impression the music-making is taking place in a hall with a high ceiling.

The one area where it clobbers the Spendor and Harbeth minis is bass : the X12 goes deeper, is punchier, and yet doesn't veer into heavy LF excess. It doesn't suffer the low-centre-of-gravity effect of the Focus 110 or X16 IMO. A quick look at Stereophile's lab test reveals a nicely flat response throughout its frequency range. Quite neutral then. While the X12's bass doesn't hit the seismic depths of the 110's (which can match several floorstanders like my Dali Ikon 6 of 2008), it is extended enough to serve the needs of a genuine music (read: not bass) lover IMO. Comparatively, its weight is less than the SCM11's but more than the S3/5R's or the Xero's.

The X12's ingratiatingly sweet tweeter performance typical of Dynaudio won't be an issue. I don't need to depend on one speaker anymore to deliver every musical genre, so all violin music will be delegated elsewhere (the Dyn tweeter is reluctant to portray authentic sourish violin top notes where applicable IME). I am indeed looking forward to playing some pop and rock to maximum effect. I have had the SCM11 for two years and it is rather cruel with brashly engineered rock and pop. The Dyn tweeter is the right antidote for these, and also classical recordings made before 1965 that are afflicted with lots of tape hiss. I am also relishing hearing Maria Callas through Dynaudio again. Her rich middle register will be accentuated by Dynaudio's own slightly dark chocolatey midrange to sensual effect.

I have committed to a X12 in gloss and have some time to deliberate between white or black. Having it in white gloss would be the crowning moment of my white-armored stormtrooping career, but I'll have to repaint my room to harmonize. As I'm a horrible painter, I have a feeling I'll end up opting for gloss metrosexual black instead.

Finally the Spendor S3/5R can be moved to the office where it'll provide superbly refined music at low levels. The one thing I'm concerned about having the PRaTtier X12 in my study is whether it will distract me from doing the work I'm bringing home from the office. "Smack My Boss Up! Smack My Boss Up!"

That's it on the X12 from me. There won't be a glowing review a year from now lest this diary turns into an orgy dungeon for diehard Dynists. Let's see if it actually lasts a year at solidschateau as I might want to resume my quest for overpriced little britboxes come autumn (ProAC Tablette Anniversary, anyone?). Meanwhile it'll be nice to save the 550 over a SA1. Couple to that Dyn's good resale value and I'm assured of not being saddled with a glossy turkey forever.

So three years after my first Dynavorce I become a Dynadude again.

SS

Dynaudio Excite X12
    : crisp, agile sound allied to impressive dynamics
    : bass is punchy and rhythmic but doesn't dominate the midrange
    : honeyed tweeters are a panacea for rough recordings
    : top-notch build quality
    : not as liquidly smooth as a Spendor or Harbeth
    : honeyed tweeters can air-brush out any natural uncouthness in violin tones

Addendum 1: I'd like to think that unique cloud was divine intervention from the audio gods to remind me 'X' is always the key to my audio destiny. I feel truly blessed.

Addendum 2: the first amp that came to mind which I reckon would get the most sscorching performance from the X12 is the NAIT XS. I will buy one and even be suckered into getting the Fuckcap XS PSU too --- if St Julian will manifest a gigantic 'XS' cloud for my eyes to behold. Then I shall no longer doubt that I am destined to be a Naimie. Until then, my Thule-modded MF X amp is man enough for the job.
    Last edited by SSM; 23-02-2011 at 02:29 PM.
    MUSICAL FIDELITY X-T100

DAC
    Integrated Amp
     SE-1, PP-1, SS-5
    Speakers
     14pr
    Pre Amp
     Triode-3, SS-1
    Power Amp
     SE-3, PP-2, SS-2, 1D
    Headphones
     LOL
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Well, my second Dyna-wedding was not to be...

Got cold feet today about plonking the deposit on a gloss X12 and decided to use my day off to explore more accomplished standmounts and get something to really knock me out sonically. And I did!

Found me a super-standmount which matches the LS3/5a smoothness of the Spendor SA1 and Harbeth P3ESR and which also surpasses the ATC SCM11 for bass power and dynamic clout!

The also-rans:

Spendor SP3/1R2

ProAc Response D1 & D2

PMC DB1i

DALI Mentor One

They are all excellent in their own way, the SP3/1R especially but none blew me away on the first minute like the victor. I'll post my thoughts on their demo performances during the next few days.

For now... meet solids-new-alphaspeaker!!! A belated Valentine's gift to myself.Shoo! Dyna!

ELAC BS244!!!

Sonically, it's just STUNNING! I consider this the best 1.5k I've ever spent and it even feels like the dealer undercharged me! The JET ribbon tweeter is just SUPERB! SO PERFECT! It belongs in true high-end territory!

Made in Germany, where Sade is very popular too. First song played: Soldier of Love, of course.

This is going to be a sleepless night!

SS
    Last edited by SSM; 25-02-2011 at 12:11 PM. Reason: Vanity;-)
    MUSICAL FIDELITY X-T100

Wammer
    Real Name
     Nigel
    Digital Source 1
     Marantz Pearl Lite
    Digital Source 2
     Sonos Connect
    Integrated Amp
     Marantz Pearl Lite
    Speakers
     KEF LS50
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Congratulations Solid! Your dedication to finding the perfect mini-monitor is truly humbling. Could those Elacs be the holy grail (ATC slam + BBC finesse) you have quested after for so long? Me, I'm at the start of a lengthy home based comparison of the Harbeth "twins" (think Schwarzenegger and Devito!), the C7ESR and the P3ESR. The loser will be sold to the highest bidder - even if he's a hard bastard who intends to play nothing but "Smack My Bitch Up" on them. The days of gladatorial combat in ancient Rome have nothing on this! My first impression is that the big C7ESRs are clearly better speakers but maybe not such a good fit as the cute little P3ESRs in my listening room. But the race has a long way to go, so watch this space!

Super Wammer
    You are definately the King (queen?) of small speaker quality.

Considering the materials available now it is high time some new stuff in speaker cones came about.

Any descriptions of the design?

Real Name
     Nick
    Turn Table
     Oracle Delphi MkIII
    T/Arm & Cart
     SME V, AN IO1
    SUT/Phono
     TdP / Aesthetix Rhea
    Digital Source 1
     Accustic Arts Drive1
    Digital Source 2
     Lumin D1
    DAC
     Accustic Arts Tube
    Integrated Amp
     Karan i180
    Speakers
     Gershman Avant Garde
    Pre Amp
     Modwright LS 36.5
    Power Amp
     Modwright KWA 100SE
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Nice speakers Solid. I've read some good things about those Elac's and must get around to hearing a pair. At 1.5k They have some stiff competition though. They sure look pretty.

DAC
    Integrated Amp
     SE-1, PP-1, SS-5
    Speakers
     14pr
    Pre Amp
     Triode-3, SS-1
    Power Amp
     SE-3, PP-2, SS-2, 1D
    Headphones
     LOL
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    There's no shortage of talent in the sub-2k standmount arena for sure, Nick. Whether or not the BS244 appeals personally to you, once you hear them it will be obvious some serious engineering has gone into all aspects of its design.

Lexi, the main cone is Elac's proprietary AS-XR 'aluminium sandwich' design. The material is composed of aluminium pressed onto a paper substrate underneath. The combination of two different materials each with its own breakup frequencies ensures very low diffraction. The crystal pattern of the aluminium cone's surface bodes well for longevity and toughness. ELAC has a licensed copy of the HFW review of the junior BS243 here (which I now learn is HFW's standmount award winner of 2010. )You can read up on the techie stuff to your's content.

So now I know what that magical 'X' cloud I saw on Monday meant. It's not referring to the Dynaudio X12 but to the BS244: 2+4+4=10='X'! Or also to the X in the AS-XR cone. I just didn't interpret the divine sign properly.

SS
    Last edited by SSM; 25-02-2011 at 12:48 PM.
    MUSICAL FIDELITY X-T100