Pre Amp
     Triode-3, SS-1
    Power Amp
     SE-3, PP-2, SS-2, 1D
    Headphones
     LOL
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Oh yeah, they sure do! Pure metrosexual chic.

HoopsBoy, your time spent at Frank's has made you an astute observer of the brit-fi industry. You could well be spot on - chances are high Q Acoustics may have had a hand in the design of the A170. If so, it's all good. Q Acoustics' '10 and '20 series have been well-reviewed and commended for punching above their price bracket, performance-wise. Even if the A170 is a 2020 in nicer clothes (and fitted with a more phallic phase plug, squeeeeee!!!), its modest rrp is still reasonable IMO.

Plus, the brains behind Q Acoustics are ex-Mission engineers who split after Mission came under the IAG umbrella. The A170 could have truer Mission legacy in its veins than the current Mission company's piddling models. Hmmm, now I reckon I'd better hear the A170 if poss. when I go demo the MXP2000 preamp.

SS
    CONRAD-JOHNSON HD3 & ET3SE > SUN SV-2A3 L.E. 25th Anniv. SE Class A | NAIM DAC V1 > C-J CLASSIC 60SE PP
    PRIMARE DAC30 > AYRE K-5xeMP > 6V6GT SE Class A | audiolab M-DAC
    > ICON AUDIO LA4 MKIII > EL84 SE Class A
    MUSICAL FIDELITY X-T100
    (modded valve pre) > GENESIS Advanced Tech. M60 (& I60) PP | PRIMARE A34.2 Class D
    OMEGA SUPER ALNICO & 3i Monitors |
    PRECISION 6.2, ELAC BS244, ATC SCM11, S3/5R, Alnico, XERO, DM 2/6, Q 2020i
    SS relics: REGA ELICIT, ARCAM A38, Musical Fidelity X-A2, NAIM NAP 100, QUAD 909, SONY TA-F246E | MiniWatt N3

Real Name
     Jim
    Turn Table
     SL-1210M5G
    Digital Source 1
     Exposure 2010S
    Integrated Amp
     MF A3.5
    Speakers
     MA GS10
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Quote Originally Posted by SSM View Post

^ Project's Pre Box SE. Like the MF M1 HPA, its output stage is biased into Class A. Sounds promising. And what I love most is the reference -dB volume display. That will make up for not having Arcam's A38 which offers this audiophile display option.

If anyone has any experience of this oh-so-cute preamp, say something!

SS
    I ran into that a few months ago (along with the Class D mono's which are Hypex modules in a nice tin) - a German review here.

Not much inside:

Shame it's got a fixed 12dB of gain - too much given the high output levels of modern sources IMO.

DAC
    Integrated Amp
     SE-1, PP-1, SS-5
    Speakers
     14pr
    Pre Amp
     Triode-3, SS-1
    Power Amp
     SE-3, PP-2, SS-2, 1D
    Headphones
     LOL
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    What's wrong with 12dB? MF puts 18dB+ into most of its X integrateds and headphone amps. The results are the sonic equivalent of a large pair of bollocks. The Exposure 3010S2 Pre on my Xmas wishlist has got 18dB too.

Thanks for the tip-off on the Pre Box SE. I haven't been able to find any Inglish reviews of it. Its innards looks pretty sparse. Now relegated to the No-Chance list.

Day 12 of 909 ownership... Most of the music-making has been splendid... but tonite I clicked on the FLACs of BWB's Groovin' album and can't help feeling that the bass guitar could bounce and pop to perfection if... I were playing the music through Rega's ELICIT. Oh, that gorgeous ELICIT.

What is it with me?!! This effect of "the grass looking greener on the other side" seems to come into effect ever more quickly as I get older and more jaded. I can't sit on my couch in peace now.

Will see how many flowers I shift on Father's Day to replenish my toys fund. But I'm not hopeful. Fewer sentimental dopes buy flowers for Daddy, compared to Mummy.

SSigh
    Last edited by SSM; 17-06-2011 at 03:20 PM. Reason: Vanity ;-)
    CONRAD-JOHNSON HD3 & ET3SE > SUN SV-2A3 L.E. 25th Anniv. SE Class A | NAIM DAC V1 > C-J CLASSIC 60SE PP
    MUSICAL FIDELITY X-T100
    (modded valve pre) > GENESIS Advanced Tech. M60 (& I60) PP | PRIMARE A34.2 Class D
    SS relics: REGA ELICIT, ARCAM A38, Musical Fidelity X-A2, NAIM NAP 100, QUAD 909, SONY TA-F246E | MiniWatt N3

Real Name
     Neil
    Turn Table
     Rega P1
    T/Arm & Cart
     RB100/OM5e
    SUT/Phono
     QTK Sound
    Digital Source 1
     NAD C541i
    Digital Source 2
     Sony MDS-JB980
    DAC
     Sony MDS-JB980
    Integrated Amp
     NAD C315BEE
    Speakers
     Wharfedale 10.3
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    SSM,

Interesting that you preferred the Quad over the A38. I've only heard Quad kit at hifi shows and my experience from casual listening was pretty positive. they certainly have a big following and a long legacy.

Are you going to get one of their CDP/Pre amps at all?

Still loving the FMJ A18/rDAC combination - smooth. detailed and a very enjoyable toe-tapping listen. I've got to the point that I'd have to spend considerably more to better what I have. If the funds were there, I'd be buying more Arcam, as I find the sound so damn addictive!
    Apple TV 3, NAD C315BEE/C541i, Project Phono Box E, Rega P1, Sony MDS-JB980/PS3/ST-S261 Slim, Samsung UE40D5520, Wharfedale Diamond 10.3, Yamaha KX-580

DAC
    Integrated Amp
     SE-1, PP-1, SS-5
    Speakers
     14pr
    Pre Amp
     Triode-3, SS-1
    Power Amp
     SE-3, PP-2, SS-2, 1D
    Headphones
     LOL
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Hi Neil,

You are a model example of a Capricorn audiophile. Appreciative and loyal to the kit you have chosen carefully with long-term pleasure in mind. I, on the other hand, am a fidgety Gemini and must flit from sidegrade to sidegrade for an eternity it seems.

Yes I can envison you being on cloud nine forever if you move up the Arcam ladder. The CD37 and A38 is a beautiful combo dripping with musicality. However, there's a possibility Arcam could up the ante and deliver a stunning successor to the A38 in a couple of years' time. Maybe you can keep enjoying the rDAC/A18 combo for a while and let your funds grow for that flagship Arcam integrated. Arcam goes 6 years between updates, so the current 8 range is due to be replaced by end of 2013.

RE: Arcam vs Quad
    I reckon the sonic signature of their amplification fall in the same camp of being tonally uncoloured, smooth and 'cultured' sounding. The difference I've noticed between the A28/A38 vs 909 is that the former has a sleeker midrange presentation while the latter is lusher and highly-resolved. The A28 is sweet with jazz ensembles, with its nimble bass and rhythmic timing. The 909, on the other hand, is jaw-dropping with orchestral and opera! My 4-ohm ELACs are sucking 250W per side from it and... the sheer scale of the sound. But it's capable of surprising delicacy too.

btw before moving the A28 to my office, I tried its pre-outs into the 909. Mmm... not bad. The sleeker FMJ sound slenderized the effusive Quad output. It's like an extension of the Arcam sound but with greater depth to the soundstage, plus... unflappable power! Another option for you to consider if you want to extract the last ounce of soundstage depth from your Waffies.

cheerSS

ps: the Elite Pre is on my radar but the Tipocan dealer hasn't stocked any yet. As for a Quad CDP, nah. I have gone all FLAC and Rega's DAC is more desirable. It's garnering raves everywhere.
    Last edited by SSM; 20-06-2011 at 05:49 AM. Reason: Vanity ;-)
    MUSICAL FIDELITY X-T100

DAC
    Integrated Amp
     SE-1, PP-1, SS-5
    Speakers
     14pr
    Pre Amp
     Triode-3, SS-1
    Power Amp
     SE-3, PP-2, SS-2, 1D
    Headphones
     LOL
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Update: The Elite Pre has arrived in Tipoca and I am in danger of popping down today for a listen. The even bigger danger is that I will like its compatibility with the 909 and buy one! The unique 'Tilt' function may be exactly what I need to ameliorate 50yo classical and opera recordings that suffer from tape hiss, recessed midrange or lean bass. Quad amplification does seem to be designed with classical music fans in mind.

^ it looks nicely-built to last for ages, but the un-sshiny front panel... It doesn't exactly scream "SSM" now, does it?

I can forsee myself staying with Quad amplification for many years if I do make this second Quad purchase. Quick! I leave work in 90 minutes' time and will be at the dealer's in another 60. If anyone objects to me and Quad being joined in holy audiophony, please suggest other alternatives now.

SS
    MUSICAL FIDELITY X-T100

Real Name
     Rob
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    The new Audiolab stuff i thought went well with the ATC's, especially the big monoblocks!

Wammer
    Real Name
     Mike
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Buy it, if only cos I want to read your report on it ;)

DAC
    Integrated Amp
     SE-1, PP-1, SS-5
    Speakers
     14pr
    Pre Amp
     Triode-3, SS-1
    Power Amp
     SE-3, PP-2, SS-2, 1D
    Headphones
     LOL
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Quote Originally Posted by HoopsOnToast View Post
    The new Audiolab stuff i thought went well with the ATC's, especially the big monoblocks!
    Ooer, I don't think I'll ever go the monoblock route. Too much power for my needs and my listening confines. Neither do I want to create a metropolis of power amps on my rack with their resultant "alleys". Dust city! It'll be a pain to get my plastic feather duster in there for a wipe.

Audiolab is nice and sshiny though.

SS
    MUSICAL FIDELITY X-T100

DAC
    Integrated Amp
     SE-1, PP-1, SS-5
    Speakers
     14pr
    Pre Amp
     Triode-3, SS-1
    Power Amp
     SE-3, PP-2, SS-2, 1D
    Headphones
     LOL
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Quote Originally Posted by mikedefacto View Post
    Buy it, if only cos I want to read your report on it ;)
    Oh my. You want me to blow 899 from my pocket just for your reading satisfaction?

Anyway, here is the preliminary assessment. This is the first time I'm demoing/looking at active preamps, and so, unlike integrated amps, there is an extra variable involved - the power amp (the Elite monoblocks in this case).

In the flesh the Elite Pre looks and feel nice. The un-blingy Elite colour scheme is not really up my alley but I can appreciate why Quad styling always stays discreet and understated. I can certainly cohabit with this Pre if need be. I do not like that canopy hood thing at the rear panel though. It makes the Pre's rear look like the dirty arse of a Star Trek spaceship and will be a hindrance if I need to plug in additional sources asap, as I'll have to really pull the rack way out. A flush rear panel which turns the Pre into a perfect square is preferable IMO.

The sound? Wonderfully Quad. Smooth, detailed and neutral with oodles of power and finesse, and well, quite beyond reproach actually. The midrange has to be the full, full, full cream milk version of midrange reproductions available - it's a luxury bath for the ears and I can prolly listen to it for hours without fatigue setting in.

There is a niggle though. The strengths of the Quad presentation veers towards the portrayal of tone and texture, rather than the crisp reproduction of leading edges. The Roksan Caspian M2 I demoed in June couldn't be more different in its approach. The crack of the sticks on the snare drums in Sade's "Soldier of Love" track (from her wonderful album, see my thread) rang out through the Caspian with thrilling metallic force that commanded attention. Through the Quads, these hits retain their tonal quality but they don't leap out with the same visceral impact. The M2's sound is more 'grippy' while the Quads are relaxed and spacious. If the former is a slick F1 car, the latter is a Volkwagen (and by extension of comparison the Naim Nait XS is like a safari jeep with its accelerator pedal jammed down with an umbrella.)

Ah but once the opening hits on the snare drums subsided, Sade's voice came on and how smooth and lush she sounds. Perfecto! Ditto for the other pop and opera singers on my test CDR. Quad really knows how to put flesh to sounds. I'd also begun to appreciate why some audiophools champion the pre-power option with an active pre on board. The Elite Pre may cede extreme crispness of leading edges to the Caspian M2 integrated but it seems this apparent weakness allows it to expand the sound gloriously without constriction or treble squally-ness when the wick is wound up. The soundstage is very spacious and performers on the music are graciously arrayed on this generous backdrop. And they get frighteningly more 3D as the volume is turned up. It's like watching molehills morph into mountains in front of you. If the Caspian and other PRaTty amps had amazed me with their crisp delineation of leading edges, the Quads overwhelmed me with the sheer physicality and presence they imparted to musicians. I'd hate to give the impression that the Quads aren't all-rounders, but their performance sounds a million dollars with symphonic and operatic music. Possibly one of the ideal Brit marques for the classical music connoisseur.

Many years ago when I was in my early 30s, I read an online mag's editor comically describe his previous stint as a hifi salesman. He characterized his clientele for Quad amplification as being uniformly: men in their forties and above, overweight, with receding hairlines or comb-overs who listen predominantly to classical music. Now, I am in this fuckin' age demographic with the same musical tastes and contemplating going all-Quad. SSigh. Is this the death of metrosexuality and the commencement of decrepitude?

Ah well...

I didn't purchase the Elite Pre but it does look like its headed for my Xmas stocking. I luv my 909. It's all the power amp I'll ever need and it's almost a sure thing that I'll be buying its reincarnation as the Elite QSP in five years' time. So having a matching Elite Pre will be such a no-brainer.

^ the forthcoming Elite QSP. At last! A 909 with a handy power button in front, squeeeeeee!!!

Before the Quad takeover of solidschateau happens, I'll try to stage one last act of resistance by checking out other preamps which look snazzier and have more snap and thwack to their sound. The other preamp on my radar is ATC's CA Mk2. Many good things have been reported about its dynamism and neutrality (famed ATC traits), and its only 200 more than the Elite, so I owe it to myself to check it out.

SS

NB: the volume step calibrations on the Elite Pre are a bit too sudden. The increase of one digit is akin to four on my Arcam A28. It could pose a problem if I need fine control over sound levels when listening late at night. Then again, with a Elite Pre-909 combo, who wants to play it softly?!! I'd want to raise the rafters with my symphonies during early evenings.
    Last edited by SSM; 04-08-2011 at 06:36 AM.
    MUSICAL FIDELITY X-T100

Real Name
     Rob
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    What about the ATC CA2 (older model)-

DAC
    Integrated Amp
     SE-1, PP-1, SS-5
    Speakers
     14pr
    Pre Amp
     Triode-3, SS-1
    Power Amp
     SE-3, PP-2, SS-2, 1D
    Headphones
     LOL
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    What about the ATC CA2 (older model)-

Your aesthetic taste is rather Tivoli-esque. It looks like an accessory you could buy at the mega pc-mart.
    This CA2 mk1 must be from the same era when the first SCM models were quite 'homely'-looking. I doubt it's available anymore in Tipoca, so, pass.

cheerSS
    Last edited by SSM; 04-08-2011 at 08:42 AM.
    MUSICAL FIDELITY X-T100

Real Name
     Rob
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Its also a lot cheaper, around 400 second hand here, rather than 2k for the new pre-amp! Being 1/2 or 2/3rds width, should go well with the 909! :-)

DAC
    Integrated Amp
     SE-1, PP-1, SS-5
    Speakers
     14pr
    Pre Amp
     Triode-3, SS-1
    Power Amp
     SE-3, PP-2, SS-2, 1D
    Headphones
     LOL
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Its also a lot cheaper, around 400 second hand here, rather than 2k for the new pre-amp! Being 1/2 or 2/3rds width, should go well with the 909! :-)
    Hmm, your oral, er, oratory skills... Have you ever considered being a full-time hifi salesman? I'd rather open my wallet to you than to the collection of crass sales reps we get here.

Nice one, but I like new. The CA mk2 stays on the touring list. btw you mixed up its price with ATC's flagship pre. The CA2 is 1099ish.

^ despite the shiny front, I find its front aesthetics are about as sexy as the Elite Pre's. It looks like a nerd had a hand in the art design. Oh well, I hope it blows me away at the demo.

SS
    MUSICAL FIDELITY X-T100

Real Name
     Rob
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Ah yes, wrong one! And i was not a very good hifi salesman, did not really sell much! Really enjoyed it though!
    Despite being a big fan of the ATC stuff, i found the build of the newer integrated and pre/power to be a little disappointing. Things like those black strips were slightly loose, the top panel can be pushed down easily. The older SIA150 integrated on the other hand was just right!

Wammer
    Real Name
     Mike
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Great write up SSM and also happy to see a pic of the new-909 in development. Having a rear power-button was the only bad thing about my 909. For the record I am a young 33 and I loved the 909 when I had it. I actually was wanting for othig and it was only in a direct comparison with something I owned which was much more expensive (Copland CSA29) that it showed up it's limitations at the frequency extremes, and a bit of 3d-ness and inner detail.

DAC
    Integrated Amp
     SE-1, PP-1, SS-5
    Speakers
     14pr
    Pre Amp
     Triode-3, SS-1
    Power Amp
     SE-3, PP-2, SS-2, 1D
    Headphones
     LOL
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Cripes. That does not bode well for me actually making a trip to hear that ATC now. But it does validate my artistic eye for sussing out poor quality build just from looking at piccies.

Ta. I'll widen the net for other alternatives.

If you're venturing back into the sales line, wear a more enticing perfume. Believe me, the right scent help sells your sales pitch. And since audio clientele are men, you should not be afraid to wear ladies' perfume instead, or something more flowery that will entice dudes. To wear something as butch as Hugo Boss is subliminally locking horns with the other male.

SS... who got his raise from the boss wearing a hint of Flora (by Gucci) behind his ears. Didn't wear the frock though!
    MUSICAL FIDELITY X-T100

Real Name
     Rob
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Mike, i forgot about Copland. SSM, could be another brand to look into, although would have to be second hand!

The ATC Pre/Power was in the shop as a demo unit, so it got moved around a lot, might not be representational of the brand new ones.

DAC
    Integrated Amp
     SE-1, PP-1, SS-5
    Speakers
     14pr
    Pre Amp
     Triode-3, SS-1
    Power Amp
     SE-3, PP-2, SS-2, 1D
    Headphones
     LOL
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Quote Originally Posted by mikedefacto View Post
    Great write up SSM and also happy to see a pic of the new-909 in development. Having a rear power-button was the only bad thing about my 909. For the record I am a young 33 and I loved the 909 when I had it. I actually was wanting for othig and it was only in a direct comparison with something I owned which was much more expensive (Copland CSA29) that it showed up it's limitations at the frequency extremes, and a bit of 3d-ness and inner detail.
    Ooo! So you are a former 909-user. Well, keep tabs on the rebirth of the new current-dumper then. It will be interesting hear where it has improved on the existant 909.

It's also heartening to know that the 909 only concedes performance to much pricier components. This has been a salient point of all its reviews by the pros - this thing can stand comparison with more exotic/expensive designs.

SS

ps: treasure your 30s, spring chicken. Such years speed by quicker than you reckon and before you realize it, you're 40 with a saggy butt and jowls.
    MUSICAL FIDELITY X-T100

DAC
    Integrated Amp
     SE-1, PP-1, SS-5
    Speakers
     14pr
    Pre Amp
     Triode-3, SS-1
    Power Amp
     SE-3, PP-2, SS-2, 1D
    Headphones
     LOL
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    I think I know which handsome small speaker will be the new addition to my collection in Feb 2012!

I have been tapped to take over a colleague's position next year (bye old coot), and his office which has snazzier decor which would make my S3/5R's veneer look a little drab. I'd thought about getting the smaller sibling to my ELAC BS244, the BS243, a cost-effective solution that would continue the same house-sound from home to office. But speaker-god Messenger's latest review has me aflame with passion:

^ QUADRAL's Aurum Altan VIII It's sso sshiny everywhere, ssqueeeeeee!!! Another German marque which also offers a ribbon tweeter and metallic cone theme like ELAC. Even the price is as sweet: just 1.4k for the gloss piano finish.

I have a feeling I'm going to LUV it and since it comes with a Messenger seal of approval, I'll buy it blind. It also seems destined to mate with my QUAD 909 in the future when I invest in the QUAD Elite QSP for the home rig. QUAD+RAL

Only problem is there isn't a QUADRAL dealer in Tipoca at the moment. Hopefully by Dec, with the brit-mag publicity, there will be one. Or else I will have to settle for the cheaper BS243.

I tried not to look higher up the range but couldn't resist, and then I saw this bigger QUADRAL:

^ The Aurum Wotan VIII

The WOTAN. Oh my god!(lit.) Which self-respecting Wagnerian wouldn't want to listen to "Der Ring des Nibelungen" through a pair of WOTANs!??

Alas, I don't have the room space to do floorstanders, so instead of having a QUADRAL named after the Norse god, I can only have one named after a Mongolian goddess. Hmphhh, life's a Khan sometimes...

Has anyone heard QUADRAL speakers? Given the nationality of this forum, I'm not having high hopes for lots of feedback. Maybe it's time to look for a German hifi forum.

SS
    Last edited by SSM; 11-08-2011 at 05:42 AM. Reason: Vanity ;-)
    MUSICAL FIDELITY X-T100