YL Acoustic active
    Pre Amp
     Nadja DSP
    Power Amp
     Lots
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMinimalCriminal View Post
    Whilst obviously I've not tried it; I imagine one will be able to draw parallels between listening to real musicians play a piece of music and hearing a midi rendition of it. On paper it may tick all the boxes but the actual experience will miss that certain something that makes meat so glorious.
    I bet it will measure the same.
    CD players - computer audio for dummies.

Real Name
     Adam
    Turn Table
     Gyrodec/301
    T/Arm & Cart
     SME/Ortofon/AN
    SUT/Phono
     Anatek MC1
    Digital Source 1
     Naim CD5XS
    Digital Source 2
     Marantz CD94
    DAC
     Marantz CDA94
    Integrated Amp
     Naim Supernait
    Speakers
     Mowgan Audio Ogma
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     Yes
    Quote Originally Posted by nat8808 View Post
    Why not just eat plants as our main source of nutrients and energy? It's what the human race has been doing for millenia.. it is only within the last century that meat consumption has exploded and become the norm in developed countries.
    Eh? I think you'll find that, in order to survive, cave men used to go out and hunt animals, not collect bloody berries and leaves!

And your example of cows and calves roaming around freely in India is woefully missing the point, given that they worship the things out there.
    Digital downloads - perfect for children and other people who can't be trusted with delicate objects.

I'm a cold Italian pizza Professor Chaos's Avatar
    Real Name
     Kelley
    Turn Table
     Well Tempered
    T/Arm & Cart
     ATechnica 150MLX
    SUT/Phono
     Jolida JD9
    Digital Source 1
     47Labs 4716Shigaraki
    DAC
     47Labs 4715Shigaraki
    Speakers
     B&W DM12 modified
    Pre Amp
     Array A-1
    Power Amp
     Crimson 630D Monos
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Interesting, but in the end a product with no target market and that isn't likely to be economically feasible any time soon.
    I could be the ticket-man at Fulham Broadway station

Real Name
     john
    Turn Table
     Palmer2.5
    T/Arm & Cart
     SME M2-9, Benz SL wd
    Digital Source 1
     Luxman CD 05
    Integrated Amp
     Luxman SQ 38u
    Speakers
     Harbeth sHL5
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Whilst obviously I've not tried it; I imagine one will be able to draw parallels between listening to real musicians play a piece of music and hearing a midi rendition of it. On paper it may tick all the boxes but the actual experience will miss that certain something that makes meat so glorious.
    the taste of blood? (See black pud thread)!
    WTF are 'incense owls'?

Super Wammer
    Real Name
     Nat
    Turn Table
     PT Anniversary
    T/Arm & Cart
     Sumiko MDC 800
    SUT/Phono
     Richard Bews design
    Digital Source 1
     TASCAM CD701
    DAC
     Manley Junior
    Integrated Amp
     Higher Fidelity 2K3
    Speakers
     AE2 Pro
    Pre Amp
     Toft/Emmlabs
    Power Amp
     Nestorovic NA-1
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Quote Originally Posted by Beobloke View Post
    Eh? I think you'll find that, in order to survive, cave men used to go out and hunt animals, not collect bloody berries and leaves!
    Were you there? I think you'll find cave men would eat more berries and leaves.. berries and leaves of course leave less of a trace than do bones and shells so bones and shells are what are found more prominently by archaeologists.

I think you'll find that hunting is very hard work and takes up a lot of energy - the mainstay of hunter gatherers is all about the gathering to fuel the often un-fruitful (forgive the pun!) hunt. Is the same with the few hunter gatherer tribes that still exist. OK, maybe the hunters will have the odd kill on their own to sustain the hunt like a lizard or whatever but not for feeding the tribe back home. Depends where they are of course as by the sea, you can live of all sorts of molluscs quite easily - gathering meat rather than hunting it.

You've been watching too many Holywood 50s/60s films with busty women in skimpy furs..

Quote Originally Posted by Beobloke View Post
    And your example of cows and calves roaming around freely in India is woefully missing the point, given that they worship the things out there.
    I think you're missing the point actually - that was in response to someone saying that if vegetarians had their way cows would die out. I'm saying that I'm vegetarian and I'd happily live like they do in india with cows roaming about - so that point was false as it is nothing to do with what vegetarians want.

Unfortunately, it is humans as a general psychotic species who would happily see animal species completely die out - whether they be farmed as food or not - if they weren't being 'useful' to them. To busy with work to really care.

Personally, Id rather see humans naturally die down in numbers than to deperately try to continue the expansion of populations - just a matter of seeing the bigger picture. Populations go into decline when people are comfortable and wealth is more equally spread so don't even need disasters etc..

As a general point, it is only one of the labs that is working on lab meat - and that is the one set to fail!

The one looking more successful is the first in the article who are making real fake meat by using plant protein to replicate muscle fibres.

Super Wammer
    Real Name
     Nat
    Turn Table
     PT Anniversary
    T/Arm & Cart
     Sumiko MDC 800
    SUT/Phono
     Richard Bews design
    Digital Source 1
     TASCAM CD701
    DAC
     Manley Junior
    Integrated Amp
     Higher Fidelity 2K3
    Speakers
     AE2 Pro
    Pre Amp
     Toft/Emmlabs
    Power Amp
     Nestorovic NA-1
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    But meat isn't glorious to my taste buds and if you played me a midi rendition using a Kenton retro-fitted Jupiter 8 or played it on an original Fairlight or Oberheim Matrix 12... I'd be drooling at the sound rather than 'Meh! Just another violin like all the others..'

Horses for (main) courses.

BUT it could be a whole new experience! Forget that it may or may not betrying to recreate something but think instead that there will be yet another type of food available that could be better than anything yet tasted!

So a better analogy would be to consider it to be a new type of instrumnet, just like synthesisers were back in the day..
    Last edited by nat8808; 27-06-2012 at 08:03 PM.

Real Name
     Kim Jong un
    Turn Table
     Tabun
    Digital Source 1
     Rondong-1
    Integrated Amp
     Taepodong-1
    Speakers
     Musudan-1
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     Yes
    Quote Originally Posted by nat8808 View Post
    But meat isn't glorious to my taste buds and if you played me a midi rendition using a Kenton retro-fitted Jupiter 8 or played it on an original Fairlight or Oberheim Matrix 12... I'd be drooling at the sound rather than 'Meh! Just another violin like all the others..'

Horses for (main) courses.
    I wrote this a bit since with the same/similar title. You nay enjoy reading it and the other stuff given your veggie bent :-)

Banned
    Turn Table
     Oracle Delphi 1/6
    T/Arm & Cart
     Decca and Decca
    SUT/Phono
     EMT/Yaqin
    Digital Source 1
     Consonance Orfeo
    Digital Source 2
     Duet
    DAC
     Chameleon (modded)
    Speakers
     Troels Gravesen SEAS
    Pre Amp
     Consonance Cyber 222
    Power Amp
     Consonance C200
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Quote Originally Posted by Stupinder View Post
    I wrote this a bit since with the same/similar title. You nay enjoy reading it and the other stuff given your veggie bent :-)
    I DID enjoy reading it. As a vegetarian myself, France is a hard place in which to eat. I don't usually eat eggs, but I would starve in France if I stuck to that! Unless I could find a North African takeaway, that is.
    Still, I hope others continue to eat meat, otherwise how would I get motorbike leathers? But I've never understood the desire for meat substitutes, like veggie-burgers, for example. Eat it or don't, is how I look at it.

Super Wammer
    Real Name
     Nat
    Turn Table
     PT Anniversary
    T/Arm & Cart
     Sumiko MDC 800
    SUT/Phono
     Richard Bews design
    Digital Source 1
     TASCAM CD701
    DAC
     Manley Junior
    Integrated Amp
     Higher Fidelity 2K3
    Speakers
     AE2 Pro
    Pre Amp
     Toft/Emmlabs
    Power Amp
     Nestorovic NA-1
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Veggie-burgers are often made of vegetables, beans etc or soy mince - not pretending to be meat other than taking the shape of a burger so that it can go in a bun with relish etc. (and better than when poncy places try to fob you off with a single grilled mushroom in a bun!)

Call them patties or something if "burger" sounds like it's pretending to be meat.

I consider all these supposed meat substitutes as just different foods. They have a texture that is different to other things and flavour too and take up herb flavours, smoke well etc well. Just like a grilled mushroom is unique in texture and flavour.

People have been eating tofu for over 2000 years and I wouldn't consider it a meat substitute yet is similar to other soy protein products. Cheese is a wierd food too - unique and constructed by humans too.

Anyway, things are made to look like or said to be meat substitutes for the benefit of idiots, idiots who can't eat anything that isn't like something they eaten before and liked as a baby - like the blandest chicken. Us intelligent people can ignore those descriptions and see it as it is, soy mince or fungi protein or whatever this new stuff is.

It's all in the mind !

This first thing in the article does sound good though, inventing a process that uses vegetables to create a food that responds in complex ways to different cooking methods (I think that's the gist of it) so acts like meat (for the stupid people).

Real Name
     Usually guilty
    Turn Table
     DP6000, Garrard 301s
    T/Arm & Cart
     MicroSeiki,SME M2-12
    SUT/Phono
     Hashimoto/SJS phono
    Digital Source 1
    Digital Source 2
     Rohman, SPU
    DAC