Jolida FX Dac 2
    Integrated Amp
     Sonneteer Orton
    Speakers
     SA Aura 1
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

DAC advice please

I would welcome any comparisons people have between decent mid-price stand alone DACs vs. the digital input implementation of good mid-price CD players. I have the Quad CDP2 and the Marantz Pearl Lite and have enjoyed using both with the digital inputs. However I only need one as a CD player and so will probably sell the Marantz, even though it is much newer, and buy a DAC instead.

So my question is, do the newish crop of 500ish DACs easily better the digital inputs of my Quad and Marantz players or are they only of a similar quality? The DACs I am thinking of, hopefully second hand, are the EE Minimax (first version) and the Rega DAC, although I am sure there are others I should consider. At the moment I am not into computer audio, so the main use would be with a SB Touch.

In terms of what I am hearing from the CDP2 and the Peal Lite I like the sound of both, not really feeling one is 'better'. Perhaps the Quad is a bit more punchy and dynamic sounding and the Marantz is a bit more open, but I think they are both good. So I would sell the Marantz simply because it takes up more space.

If anyone has done these sorts of comparisons I would be interested in your thoughts.

Cheers,
    Will

Super Wammer
    Real Name
     scott
    Digital Source 1
     SBT x 2
    Digital Source 2
     Marantz/Denon
    DAC
     M1/RDac/Havana
    Integrated Amp
     AI/Sugden/Myryad
    Speakers
     Opera/Castle/AVI
    I have 3 at the moment Will, RDAC, MF M1 and MHDT Havana, they all sound very good....and very similar! I had a play with them all in my main system a few weeks back and only found tiny differences and would happily have any one of them, The M1 and Havana probalby just top the Arcam but not a lot in it

Real Name
     Teddy Ray
    Turn Table
     Rebuilt LAB 500
    T/Arm & Cart
     SHURE M3D
    SUT/Phono
     Custom Built Valve
    Digital Source 1
     Squeezebox Touch
    DAC
     Forssell MDAC-2
    Integrated Amp
     MasterSound/Bryston
    Speakers
     K&H 0300D
    Pre Amp
     In my DAC
    Power Amp
     In my Speakers.
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Id personally avoid "hifi" brands like the plague. They are long on "magic" and "hifi marketing" and short on build quality, effectiveness and , most importantly, SQ.

Your best bet, IMO is to go with pro audio brands Like Lavry, Mytek, Grace, Lynx, Apogee, Prism, DaD, and so on.

I have personally used Mytek DACs for a decade now. I bought my first Stereo 96 back then and in all these years, my Mytek has been my constant companion..I still use the very same one. No issues with repair, no issues with SQ, and as is the trademark with all **good** products, it has retained its resale value.

The new Mytek 192 DSD DAC is excellent as well. USB , of course DSD capable(it seems as though Michal (the designer) saw the DSD revival coming) and SQ is of course spectacular.

the best part about pro audio brands is that they perform as well(many times much better!) than comparable "hifi" brands at a very small fraction of the price.

Depends on what your needs are I suppose. Whether you want Jewelry or Performance...?

I will say that I am very, very impressed with every REGA product I have ever heard. Their DAC is great too. Good luck man!!
    Be just and if you can't be just, be arbitrary- William S. Burroughs

In the trade Wammer Purite Audio's Avatar
    Real Name
     Keith
    Turn Table
     GPA Monaco
    T/Arm & Cart
     Triplanar 12"
    SUT/Phono
     Dyna XV1-S XV1-T
    Digital Source 1
     Weiss MAN 301
    Digital Source 2
     MAN301 M2TechVaughan
    DAC
     Weiss Medea Plus
    Integrated Amp
     David Wright Bakoon
    Speakers
     Cessaro ,Grimm T&F
    Pre Amp
     Trinity Audio SPEC
    Power Amp
     David Wright Bespoke
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     Yes
    I would try and gather a bunch of possibles, and compare them to each other and to your CDP in your own system.
    I suspect there will be little difference between your CdP and the Touch,+ external dac, but the only way is to compare them at home.
    Keith.

I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best.

Wammer
    Real Name
     Will
    Digital Source 1
     Pearl Lite
    Digital Source 2
     SBT
    DAC
     Jolida FX Dac 2
    Integrated Amp
     Sonneteer Orton
    Speakers
     SA Aura 1
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Thanks guys. There's no lack of choice that's for sure. If anyone has moved from using digital inputs on a CDP2 or Marantz Lite to a stand alone DAC let me know how you've got on.

Super Wammer
    Real Name
     scott
    Digital Source 1
     SBT x 2
    Digital Source 2
     Marantz/Denon
    DAC
     M1/RDac/Havana
    Integrated Amp
     AI/Sugden/Myryad
    Speakers