Digital Source 1
     SBT/Theta/PT
    Integrated Amp
     Concordant / Krell
    Speakers
     Harbeth Compact
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Sorry but that itchy feeling for new equipment has started again.

I have only come to music streaming very recently . I will say from the start that I use and enjoy digital music from CD as my main source and very rarely ever play LP's anymore. To me the sound of CD is more than good enough to transport me in to the music .

Streaming is for my ears much better even than CD and the quality of music I am getting is the best I have heard to date . However this has made me think and given me the itch that if everything I listen to is in the digital domain then some sort of Digital Room Correction would be worth looking in to.

There are two things I am looking at DSpeaker Anitmode unit currently going the rounds looks like something that seems to work but does not require long study in to arcane computer files to implement and enjoy .

The second is I have seen a second hand Tact 2.0 Room Correction Pre for sale. Looking at the detials this is the early model they made and not the current one so will require a pc to aid with set up.

A brief read through of both units seems to indicate that both will do what I am looking for but that the Tact may well be a little more flexible with inputs for analogue and digital sources and the ability to alter the correction wave forms in real time. There is a danger here that giving an obessive like me the chance to fiddle may well mean that I constantly tweak things while the other unit looks more like you measure set and that is it.

I know that a few have recently tried and bought the DSpeaker Dual Core unit and I have read the review in the Euipment review section but is there anyone out there who has used the Tact ?

The Tact could easily replace my Dac and current Pre Amp as it would be possible to have the SBT and my Theta connected directly to the Tact then use that directly in to the Krell . Not sure if the DSpeaker offers the same . Reduction of boxes and so mess is something I like and shortening the signal path and keeping it digital until the last minute is also I think desirable but would appreciate any feedback off people that have used either units.

Just as an aside I have looked at and considered the software options that exist but I do not want a PC in the music room and I do not want to do the hard study needed to get them set up and working .
    System - Theta Data Basic II Transport - Squeezebox Touch Toolbox 3.0 Dynobot Mods - Antimode 2.0 Digital Room Equaliser - Concordant Exhilliarant Pre - Krell KSA 50 Amp - Harbeth Compact Monitors II

Super Dooper Wammer Cable Monkey's Avatar
    Real Name
     Henry
    Turn Table
     A R Legend (TTT)
    T/Arm & Cart
     PU7/Black Beauty SPX
    SUT/Phono
     HM7 / Tron 7 MM
    Digital Source 1
     Teac P700
    Digital Source 2
     Squeezebox Touch
    DAC
     Metrum Octave
    Speakers
     10 inch Tannoys
    Pre Amp
     Sonic Euphoria PLC
    Power Amp
     ARC D70 mkII
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    I am going to make a leap of faith here and suggest you already know what you want to do. Your aversion to PC's indicates that, which would disqualify the TACT option. Go with the Antimode option and tell us how you get on.
    Let me get this straight. You take a perfectly good CD and put it in a DVD player??!!

Real Name
     Andrew
    Turn Table
     Logic DM101
    Digital Source 1
     SBT/Theta/PT
    Integrated Amp
     Concordant / Krell
    Speakers
     Harbeth Compact
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Hi Henry , thanks for that but in this case not that true the TACT only needs the PC as a set up device and having seen the set up sequence in a review I am more than happy to say I will be able to manage it. After the set up alterations and adjustments can be done directly in to the Tact . My aversion was for the fully software option which requires you to use your pc/laptop as the control unit and leave it connected and on for the software to work .

I realise the TACt will be a more difficult opton but it is also more flexible the unit I have seen is also not that far away from the cost of the Antimode unit so it is pretty much a fair fight . I would just like someone who has used the TACt to offer some feedback on how it sounds and how difficult it is to live with.
    System - Theta Data Basic II Transport - Squeezebox Touch Toolbox 3.0 Dynobot Mods - Antimode 2.0 Digital Room Equaliser - Concordant Exhilliarant Pre - Krell KSA 50 Amp - Harbeth Compact Monitors II

Real Name
     Keith
    Turn Table
     GPA Monaco
    T/Arm & Cart
     Triplanar 12"
    SUT/Phono
     Dyna XV1-S XV1-T
    Digital Source 1
     Weiss MAN 301
    Digital Source 2
     MAN301 M2TechVaughan
    DAC
     Weiss Medus
    Integrated Amp
     David Wright Bakoon
    Speakers
     Cessaro ,Grimm T&F
    Pre Amp
     Cessaro David Wright
    Power Amp
     David Wright Bespoke
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     Yes
    We listened to nearly every active room correction option, ( haven't heard the anti mode yet) some produced a very 'disconnected' sound , GregF of this forum used the TACT or Lyngdorf system for years before switching, perhaps PM him?
    Keith.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best.

Acc shut see Purité North
    Real Name
     Purité North
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     Yes
    Surely a home-demo of the Antimode is the way forward here? The Lyngdorf is by all accounts a head-scratcher and I've no idea how long it'll be supported...

Real Name
     Andrew
    Turn Table
     Logic DM101
    Digital Source 1
     SBT/Theta/PT
    Integrated Amp
     Concordant / Krell
    Speakers
     Harbeth Compact
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Yes given the generous offer by Big D I suppose you are right . Then again the thought of not having tried the Tact as well is one of those annoying things that will always make me think would it have been better , more what I want. I realise this is all my problem nothing else but I at least these days recognise it as that .

Real Name
     Andrew
    Turn Table
     Logic DM101
    Digital Source 1
     SBT/Theta/PT
    Integrated Amp
     Concordant / Krell
    Speakers
     Harbeth Compact
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Right after a few days of reading and studying on the net and changing my mind only about 30/40 times I have decided to take the plunge . I have gone for the second hand Tact DRC 2.0 unit which I have bought from Simon of 2ndHandHiFi . He made the whole thing pretty easy and I should get the unit tomorrow. This will then give me Friday night and the weekend to do a full install and get things in and working and then settle down to some serious listening. The main thing that finally swayed me to this was that if it works as I want it to this unit will act as a Pre Amp / Dac and Room Correction unit all in the same box and it will mean that I can get the Perpetual Technology gear and the Concordant Pre amp out of the system . Well that is the theory but it may well be that in practice it is not going to sound as I want it so will put some detials of how I got on either over the week end or next week .

Real Name
     Andrew
    Turn Table
     Logic DM101
    Digital Source 1
     SBT/Theta/PT
    Integrated Amp
     Concordant / Krell
    Speakers
     Harbeth Compact
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    I know this is really very silly but thought I would be honest and tell the truth anyway. Despite my Tact unit arriving without the essential RJ12 - DB9 RS232 cable and so me not being able to install it or even start setting it up I have to admit that I still feel I have made the right decision.
    I have seen the pictures of the Anitmode unit and managed this week end to see a one in the flesh . Now I make no comment on how they funtion or what they sound like (as I have not heard one only seen the unit) . However the pride factor in owning something that just looks the business is inevitable some times. I found the build quality and looks of the Antimode very underwhelming it just does not inspire me to have it on show in pride of place .

The Tact on the other hand looks like a reall well constucted and functional piece of Audio foo it reeks hi end (even if it might not be) and I just know that i am going to rearrange my rack so this thing is upfront and out there for all to see.

Yes , Yes I know this sad but I do so love owning equipment that looks as well as sounds good , I would always favour the Michell TT over the Linn or the Oracle over the Roksan just becuase they both look so damn good . I admit I am shallow but I will bet I am not the only one. Now if thei Tact unit will only funtion like the manual says it will I suspect I will be very happy .

Big Dur - I am really sorrry I know you have made everyone a great offer and I am sure that your Antimode units are as good as everyone who is buying them says they are but given I paid the same price for the Tact as the Antimode I confess I was seduced by a pretty face.

Real Name
     Kevin
    Turn Table
     Kuzma Stabi S
    T/Arm & Cart
     Stogi, AN Io
    SUT/Phono
     Audio Note S6c
    Digital Source 1
     Rega Saturn
    Digital Source 2
     SBT
    DAC
     Rega
    Speakers
     LV OBX-R2
    Pre Amp
     Audio Note M3
    Power Amp
     CocoSan 300B PP Mono
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Stop apologising.
    "We could have saved the Earth but we were too damned cheap" Kurt Vonnegut

hup two three four wammer
    Real Name
     James
    Turn Table
     still old and black
    T/Arm & Cart
     yup
    SUT/Phono
     Yes indeed
    Digital Source 1
     Runs Windows 7/64
    DAC
     AN 4.1x sig
    Speakers
     AN-E
    Pre Amp
     SJS
    Power Amp
     Tron
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Quote Originally Posted by Purite Audio View Post
    We listened to nearly every active room correction option, ( haven't heard the anti mode yet) some produced a very 'disconnected' sound , GregF of this forum used the TACT or Lyngdorf system for years before switching, perhaps PM him?
    Keith.
    I use a DEQX for 1/100th of what it can do for exactly this reason. It is stupendous, endlessly entertaining, sounds lucid and clear (if left on 24/7), but digital room correction really seems to me to be an example of where less is more. Currently it runs almost flat, just a slight (1.2dB) shaping of the signal in the mid-bass region for a suckout, but with a separate and quite heavily shaped sub output added with a sharp cut-off filter at 55Hz, and this is the best bit for me - I add 4ms delay to the main signal to bring the sub into perfect phase. The difference is substantial - with the main system off there's almost no energy going through the sub, yet the ambience cues and weight on the lowest notes is much improved. You can also tame rubbish recordings though then they tend to sound like, well, ameliorated lifeless bad recordings, but sometimes its slightly better.

Of course if I was going 2 or 3 way active the thing would have much more function as the sound shaping can be more tightly controlled across drive units. However I'm not, yet all in all an indispensable part of my kit despite the truth in Keith's wise words above. It's a keeper.

Also good for spotting frequency anomalies and room effects even if I don't want to correct them!

Real Name
     Jack
    Turn Table
     J.C.Verdier Platine
    T/Arm & Cart
     IO-Gold + SPU Spirit
    SUT/Phono
     Modwright PH150
    Digital Source 1
     Mac Mini
    Digital Source 2
     Audionote UK
    DAC
     Modwright Elyse
    Speakers
     TuneAudio Anima
    Pre Amp
     Modwright 36.5 'DM'
    Power Amp
     Modwright KWA-150SE
    Headphones
     Phonon
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     Yes
    Quote Originally Posted by Tel View Post
    Stop apologising.

Real Name
     Charlie
    Turn Table
     BLACK LP12-Pro-Ject
    Digital Source 1
     Naim CD5i-CD7300
    Integrated Amp
     Naim5i-PM7200
    Speakers
     CV V15F-Kans
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    As many have noted since 1983, there are better ways to listen than from the crippled CD medium. Good luck in your enjoyments.
    'Sometimes via the senses, mostly in the mind' (or pocket)...

hup two three four wammer
    Real Name
     James
    Turn Table
     still old and black
    T/Arm & Cart
     yup
    SUT/Phono
     Yes indeed
    Digital Source 1
     Runs Windows 7/64
    DAC
     AN 4.1x sig
    Speakers
     AN-E
    Pre Amp
     SJS
    Power Amp
     Tron
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    You too, why not sell your CD5i? Seems an expensive item to hang on to just to listen to 'crippled' music. I sold mine and haven't regretted it, great though it was.