Mains Cables R Us. Temple Audio  Cranage Hifi Show
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Wammer
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Quote Originally Posted by hifiwigwam View Post
    W3schools.. but being an it person you would know that..

WordPress is marvelous by the way, but as you've already decided...
    Thanks for the pointer to W3Schools

Cannot abide Wordpress, I did try it, but it was ghastly. Really don't get why it is raved about.

Banhammer Time TheMinimalCriminal's Avatar
    Real Name
     Jon
    Digital Source 1
     PC
    DAC
     MF X-24K
    Integrated Amp
     UnisonResearch Unico
    Speakers
     Triangle Celius
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    If you have a Mac at your disposal to work on, I would highly recommend a piece of software called Coda. It has all the good points that people do praise Macs for (ease of use, layout, clear functionality etc.) without the bad points (it's not stupidly overpriced with loads of crap you'll probably never need). It is however Mac only, so it's not available on Windows at all.

If you just want basic code markup, Notepad++ for Windows is fine and also free, which is nice. Doesn't have any site management tools or FTP build in mind.

If you do want a book, you want to look at HTML / CSS courses rather than software packages. Which particular one you go for is very much a matter of taste though.
    "In terms of any future hifi reviews of mine you may read, it is best to see me as, mmm ......... as, some sort of complete idiot" Cloth-ears, 25-02-2014

Acc shut see Purité North
    Real Name
     Purité North
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     Yes
    A few thoughts from someone barely one step up the same ladder -

Before you start, plan the site on paper - keep it as simple as possible, for users' sake and yours (so many sites are self-defeatingly overambitious and overcomplicated).

Sketch-out a consistent layout for your webpages - again, keep it as simple as possible, for users' sake and yours (so many sites are self-defeatingly overambitious and overcomplicated)!

Although a steeper learning curve, I'd recommend doing it the steam-powered way and write your own code, you have more control over the final outcome, and maintenance/updating/expansion becomes easier.

Use tinternet as your source: found a feature you like? Clone it - right-click-view-source is your friend...

W3Cs HTML and CSS free validation service is a BLOODY useful debugging and development tool and will leave you with code that works on all browsers.

Oh, and while you should see how your code renders on different browsers (and ideally different monitors) don't expect it to work properly on Internet Explorer - nothing does

Bonne chance mon ami!

Horrible UKIP Bastard Cloth-Ears's Avatar
    Turn Table
     Aye
    Digital Source 1
     Several. All off.
    Speakers
     They speak English
    Power Amp
     Never on.
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Quote Originally Posted by earlofsodbury View Post

Before you start, plan the site on paper - keep it as simple as possible, for users' sake and yours (so many sites are self-defeatingly overambitious and overcomplicated).

Sketch-out a consistent layout for your webpages - again, keep it as simple as possible, for users' sake and yours (so many sites are self-defeatingly overambitious and overcomplicated)!

Although a steeper learning curve, I'd recommend doing it the steam-powered way and write your own code, you have more control over the final outcome, and maintenance/updating/expansion becomes easier.

Use tinternet as your source: found a feature you like? Clone it - right-click-view-source is your friend...

W3Cs HTML and CSS free validation service is a BLOODY useful debugging and development tool and will leave you with code that works on all browsers.

Oh, and while you should see how your code renders on different browsers (and ideally different monitors) don't expect it to work properly on Internet Explorer - nothing does

Bonne chance mon ami!
    How ?
    Work is a damn nuisance and a waste of precious time.

Wammer
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Quote Originally Posted by earlofsodbury View Post

Bonne chance mon ami!
    Thanks Paul

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by TheMinimalCriminal View Post
    If you have a Mac at your disposal to work on, I would highly recommend a piece of software called Coda. It has all the good points that people do praise Macs for (ease of use, layout, clear functionality etc.) without the bad points (it's not stupidly overpriced with loads of crap you'll probably never need). It is however Mac only, so it's not available on Windows at all.

If you just want basic code markup, Notepad++ for Windows is fine and also free, which is nice. Doesn't have any site management tools or FTP build in mind.

If you do want a book, you want to look at HTML / CSS courses rather than software packages. Which particular one you go for is very much a matter of taste though.
    Thanks Jon, I don't have a Mac unfortunately so I can only use PC based applications

Wammer
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    I would agree with EoS (that must be a first! lol) regarding going the steam-powered way. I taught myself html and css when I became virtually housebound some years ago, just as an intellectual exercise, and have two websites that I maintain. I chose to use Topstyle [ http://www.topstyle4.com/ ] as my html editor, as it has built-in helps (suggestions in coding in both html and css) a preview pane which can be either IE or Firefox and a separate preview with either browser and different screensizes. The W3C validations are linked in the menus too.
    The latest version is IE8 friendly, and autodetects other browsers too. Works on Windows 7 (which my version doesn't - note to self: must upgrade) and makes sites for mobiles too.
    Suzy Creamcheese - what's got into ya?

Banned
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Easy. Learn html. Learn CSS. Learn graphic design. Forget the rest of the posts on this thread.

Real Name
     Richard
    Turn Table
     Well Bad Tempered
    T/Arm & Cart
     WT / Dynavector XX2
    SUT/Phono
     Kairsound SUT
    Digital Source 1
     Marantz transport
    Digital Source 2
     Squeezebox
    DAC
     Audiosector NOS
    Integrated Amp
     I think not
    Speakers
     LV IBX-R2
    Pre Amp
     Kondo clone
    Power Amp
     845 SET
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillybuster View Post
    Easy. Learn html. Learn CSS. Learn graphic design. Forget the rest of the posts on this thread.
    Actually, not far wrong.

By all means code the whole thing in php or java. Then redo it in a year's time.

Nothing wrong with properly implemented HTML. The very best sites use exactly that.

And Dreamweaver is fine. The major issue with DW is people using older versions that they've hacked, which write basic HTML to older standards. Your choice, but if you steal a tool, don't complain that it doesn't work properly...
    I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realise that what you heard is not what I meant.

Horrible UKIP Bastard Cloth-Ears's Avatar
    Turn Table
     Aye
    Digital Source 1
     Several. All off.
    Speakers
     They speak English
    Power Amp
     Never on.
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Surely the best teacher for this endevour would be a spider.

If only they could speak English.
    Work is a damn nuisance and a waste of precious time.