Audio Emotion Purite North  Epiphany Acoustics 
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Wammer
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Any Harbeth C7ES3 users in the North Birmingham (ish) area?

Guys,

I was wondering how to get to hear these highly-regarded speakers; I rang the Midlands (Derby) dealer who, it turns out, is a mail order dealer only. However once I'd heard them if I wanted some he would be only too happy to sell them to me.

Doh!

I am aware of distnace selling regulations and the 7 day cooling off period, but don't want to inconvenience a dealer by buying blind with a good chance of sending them back, it just doesn't seem sporting.

The only other thing is if there is a welcoming wammer/Harbeth owner in the area who would be amenable for a visit please? My postcode is B75.

You don't ask you don't get!

Tim

Wammer
    Real Name
     Jonathan
    Turn Table
     Almost finished
    T/Arm & Cart
     F***ed Dynavector
    SUT/Phono
     nearly
    Digital Source 1
     Next
    Integrated Amp
     AT2000
    Speakers
     Mission 707
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    That dealer (and I know who it is!) shouldn't be a Harbeth dealer as he stocks nothing! Do your self a favour and visit the one in Cambridgeshire (check the Harbeth dealer network) and go and spend some quality time listening. It will be worth it!

Wammer
    Turn Table
     Omega Point 5
    T/Arm & Cart
     AN Arm One/AT50ANV
    SUT/Phono
     Diablo/NCPSU
    DAC
     AS DAX Discrete
    Speakers
     ESL63/Harbeth HL5
    Pre Amp
     UR Unico Pre
    Power Amp
     Unison Research DM
    Headphones
     Focal Spirit Pro
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Oooh, ARC cd5, nice ... the first time I heard Harbeths was at KJW1 and they were using that player. I was hooked.
    I'm afraid I'm not near Birmingham, but you would be welcome to hear mine in London. Mind you, if you came to the smoke you could hear them with ARC equipment at KJ, since I believe they have finally reopened now.

Wammer
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Cheers!

I guess Harbeth have no ambition to challenge the world - the dealer network is 'challenging'.

Tim

Wammer
    Turn Table
     Omega Point 5
    T/Arm & Cart
     AN Arm One/AT50ANV
    SUT/Phono
     Diablo/NCPSU
    DAC
     AS DAX Discrete
    Speakers
     ESL63/Harbeth HL5
    Pre Amp
     UR Unico Pre
    Power Amp
     Unison Research DM
    Headphones
     Focal Spirit Pro
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Many have complained that they are more concerned with their sales in the Far East than in the UK. It certainly is bizarre for a company with that international profile to have no dealer in a city the size of Birmingham.

I'm lucky that my two centres are Leeds and London, so I'm spoiled with Audio Republic and KJW1, but anyone remotely to the west seems to be out of luck.
    Last edited by andreweast; 18-07-2012 at 11:32 AM.

Wammer
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Out of interest, what amp do you remember being used when you heard the ARC/Harbeth setup?

cheers

Tim

In the trade Wammer Midlandaudiox's Avatar
    Real Name
     john Roberts
    Turn Table
     bergmann Sindre
    T/Arm & Cart
     Bergmann 47Lab MCBee
    SUT/Phono
     47 Lab
    Digital Source 1
     CAD CAT
    Digital Source 2
     MAC Book PRO SSD
    DAC
     CAD 1543
    Integrated Amp
     lavardin IT-15
    Speakers
     Wilson Audio SashaII
    Pre Amp
     Burmester 077
    Power Amp
     Burmester 911
    Headphones
     Audeze LCD3
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     Yes
    As far as i know music matter were selling Harbeth in Birmingham area
    however i did approach them a couple of years ago and was told that they were not looking for anymore dealers
    as they couldnt build them quickly enough.....

Wammer
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Hmm,

Music Matters aren't listed as a dealer on the Harbeth web site and they don't list Harbeth on their web site. I did use the Solihull branch a bit 3-4 years ago and never saw Harbeth in there.

A sole mail order supplier in the Midlands with no demo facilities is definitely selling them short. Sounds like they are comfy where they are though.

Pac67
    Quote Originally Posted by Midlandaudiox View Post
    As far as i know music matter were selling Harbeth in Birmingham area
    however i did approach them a couple of years ago and was told that they were not looking for anymore dealers
    as they couldnt build them quickly enough.....
    I think that's correct. Many of the Harbeth models are built to order with dealer stock as far as I'm aware being mainly demo units only for some models in the range. They do sell to the far east but remember that a big part of Harbeth's business is in supplying the BBC with broadcast and studio monitors. They don't build 'em cheap and stack 'em high. Radletts Audio in safron Waldon (run by Dave Wren) I believe have the full range for demo and Dave's a top bloke to deal with.

Wammer
    Real Name
     keith
    Turn Table
     linn lp 12
    T/Arm & Cart
     ittok karma
    SUT/Phono
     T dino
    Digital Source 1
     sacd
    Digital Source 2
     sonos
    DAC
     jolida fx glass 111
    Integrated Amp
     valve
    Speakers
     mowgan mabon
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    most harbies are built to order, if you know what you want , the darby,repton agent is a decent chap to deal with, i had my fives through him

no probs , excellent to deal with, good on price, pity as i sold mine last xmas, otherwise you would have been welcome to listen,

the fives are my favourits, warmer with more depth, superb speek,......a rare beast on the second hand market.

Real Name
     Lee
    Turn Table
     NAS Spacedeck
    T/Arm & Cart
     OL / Rondo Bronze
    SUT/Phono
     EAR 834 Modified
    Digital Source 2
     Mac Mini
    DAC
     Bel Canto 2.5
    Integrated Amp
     Mastersound DueVenti
    Speakers
     Audionote AN/K-Spe
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Tim

Alan B used to have the 7's, for me they were an easy listen but for some reason did not do it. Drop AlanB a PM for his thoughts Im sure he would be helpful, he no longer has them as he has gone back to Vandersteens which is in another league to Harbeths IMO

I went down the Harbeth route myself a couple of years back, even went to KJ West 1 and heard the PS3ER's and the SHL5's, a friend of mine also brought his PS3ER's to our house for a home demo all the way from South Wales, anyway here is my take

PS3ER's - aweful, total waste of time both at the dealers and at my house - FWIW, my mate who brought them no longer uses them after he brought them to my house and sold them to a guy on here.

SHL5 - Great, however the physical presence of them was too big for our front room, the difference between the 3's and the SHL5's was night and day

All of these are my own experiences and others on here may have different views!

Having visited your house in the past and given the size of your room Vandersteens might do the trick

Lee

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by fryingtonite View Post
    Hmm,

Music Matters aren't listed as a dealer on the Harbeth web site and they don't list Harbeth on their web site. I did use the Solihull branch a bit 3-4 years ago and never saw Harbeth in there.

A sole mail order supplier in the Midlands with no demo facilities is definitely selling them short. Sounds like they are comfy where they are though.
    Music matters used to sell them in Edgbaston but no longer sell them
    Mac Mini / Bel Canto Dac 2.5 / Jolida Glass FX Tube Dac MK1 / NAS Spacedeck / Origin Live Rega arm / Rondo Bronze / EAR 834P Modified, Mastersound Due Venti SE EL 34, Audionote AN/K-Spe speakers

Wammer
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Hi Lee,

Yes, I recall you were less than impressed with the little 'uns - I remember the exact phrase you used :-). I can well believe a sealed speaker the size of the P3s wouldn't do well in a room your size.

I was thinking the C7s sit in between the SHL5s and the P3s. I did do a bit of wam trawling and came across Alan's review and I know he moved on.

If Harbeths are hard to audition at home I dread to think how difficult it would be to get Vandersteens here. And they are odd looking, even if I was being kind!

(Sorry Alan!).

Tim

Wammer
    Real Name
     keith
    Turn Table
     linn lp 12
    T/Arm & Cart
     ittok karma
    SUT/Phono
     T dino
    Digital Source 1
     sacd
    Digital Source 2
     sonos
    DAC
     jolida fx glass 111
    Integrated Amp
     valve
    Speakers
     mowgan mabon
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    tim , if i recall guildford audio, trevor i think, might pay to have a chat, he is very accomadating, he might, just might sort

a demo pair on loan for you to try, depending on your room size the fives are great, the sevens are a more cleaner sound.

keith.

Wammer
    Turn Table
     Omega Point 5
    T/Arm & Cart
     AN Arm One/AT50ANV
    SUT/Phono
     Diablo/NCPSU
    DAC
     AS DAX Discrete
    Speakers
     ESL63/Harbeth HL5
    Pre Amp
     UR Unico Pre
    Power Amp
     Unison Research DM
    Headphones
     Focal Spirit Pro
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Quote Originally Posted by fryingtonite View Post
    Out of interest, what amp do you remember being used when you heard the ARC/Harbeth setup?
    You might be surprised to hear that it was a Krell integrated - the S300i. Most Harbethians on this forum tend towards valves, but Harbeths need power and top to bottom neutrality in an amp as well. The difficulty is getting the power and extension of an SS amp along with the midrange magic of valves. Too many Harbeth users have gone for low powered valves and then come to the wrong conclusions about the speakers before trying anything else. I've heard Harbeths go well with various valve, SS, and hybrid amps, so long as they aren't too low powered. My original impression of the ARC Cd5/Krell S300i system was with Monitor 30's and SHL5's, and I posted my impressions here;
    http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=89117
    I've since heard many different combinations which shine in different areas. What the KJW1 system did superbly well was the extension and power necessary to reproduce a piano with an orchestra. But I've heard amps that have much better tonal colour and luxury in the mids - Croft for example. My Unico hybrids are a good balance between different approaches, but I'm also experimenting with some Albarry's at the moment. I expect your ARC set up would be great with Harbeths.

Wammer
    Real Name
     Mac
    Digital Source 1
     EMC1UP
    Integrated Amp
     Accuphase E350
    Speakers
     Harbeth SHL5
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Speaking as a SHL5 owner and having heard the C7's, the latter were dull and lifeless in comparison.
    Definitely give Trevor from Guildford Audio a bell... good guy to deal with and he will always be willing to do part ex on existing gear.
    Mac

Wammer
    Turn Table
     Omega Point 5
    T/Arm & Cart
     AN Arm One/AT50ANV
    SUT/Phono
     Diablo/NCPSU
    DAC
     AS DAX Discrete
    Speakers
     ESL63/Harbeth HL5
    Pre Amp
     UR Unico Pre
    Power Amp
     Unison Research DM
    Headphones
     Focal Spirit Pro
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    7's aren't dull and lifeless. Did you hear them in the same set up as your own?

Real Name
     Andy
    Turn Table
     Michell Gyrodec SE
    T/Arm & Cart
     SME V DENON DL103
    SUT/Phono
     Jez Arkless Turbo
    Digital Source 1
     TEAC PD-H600
    Integrated Amp
     VA Sensation M451
    Speakers
     Harbeth Compact 7ES2
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Quote Originally Posted by andreweast View Post
    7's aren't dull and lifeless. Did you hear them in the same set up as your own?
    X2- my all be it C7ES rock- it is all to do with matching the amp- my T-amp puts out 22wpc- goes lous is full 3D and very dynamic.
    "She wore! She wore"! Thank god the wait is over

Real Name
     Ian
    Digital Source 1
     Quad CD-P2
    Speakers
     Harbeth P3ESR
    Pre Amp
     Croft 25R
    Power Amp
     Croft 7
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee Henley View Post

PS3ER's - aweful, total waste of time both at the dealers and at my house - FWIW, my mate who brought them no longer uses them after he brought them to my house and sold them to a guy on here.
    Conversely, I'll disagree with this ! Quite a lot
    Cleanliness is next to Quadliness.

Pac67
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Conversely, I'll disagree with this ! Quite a lot
    +1

From the Harbeth's I've heard there was little real difference in their "voicing" except that the bigger you go with the models, the greater the scale and extension. I was expecting the little stand mounters to image better than the big ones as IME most good little stand mounters are pretty good at doing the disappearing trick, but I was surprised to find that the bigger ones do it equally as well! The Harbeths do all have a "house" sound and it's no real coincidence since their polypropylene driver mid/bass designs and cabinet designs follow similar principles. The exception is possibly the M40.1 which was designed I think as a full range Studio monitor rather than a broadcast monitor, and it has a beefier presentation and unlike most of the others in the range, needs a big room. The only oddity in the range is the SHL5 uses a super tweeter for no better reason that a customer wanted one, and the idea stuck! I don't think there's a specific technical reason for it. I must admit that I'm delighted with my SHL5's and my only regret is in not rediscovering the Harbeth range sooner. They do respond very well to powerful amplification and aren't really a SET amp match. The Croft amps do seem to partner very well with them.

Wammer
    Turn Table
     Omega Point 5
    T/Arm & Cart
     AN Arm One/AT50ANV
    SUT/Phono
     Diablo/NCPSU
    DAC
     AS DAX Discrete
    Speakers
     ESL63/Harbeth HL5
    Pre Amp
     UR Unico Pre
    Power Amp
     Unison Research DM
    Headphones
     Focal Spirit Pro
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Paul, the drivers aren't Polypropylene. Alan Shaw has always been very insistent that the material he developed - RADIAL - is much more articulate and detailed than Pp, which he believes causes smearing of transients.

I think the combination of the super-tweeter and larger cabinet in the SHL5 does make for much greater soundstage, and the SHL5 is also richer in the lower mids/upper bass. I couldn't get them to work in my room, but they remain my favourites.