Pre Amp
     Modwright SWL 9.0SE
    Power Amp
     Advantage S100
    Headphones
     Bowers & Wilkins P7
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Is the work needed on them "doable?" would you say/.

Real Name
     Feather
    Turn Table
     Avid Acutus
    T/Arm & Cart
     SME V / Airtight PC1
    SUT/Phono
     Whest PS30 R
    Digital Source 1
     SB Touch
    DAC
     Micromega Mydac
    Speakers
     Kharma Ce 2.3
    Pre Amp
     ModWright LS36.5
    Power Amp
     Plinius SA103
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Pootle will just love those
    First pressings son !

Real Name
     Usually guilty
    Turn Table
     Garrard 301
    T/Arm & Cart
     SME M2-12
    SUT/Phono
     Hashimoto/SJS phono
    Digital Source 1
    Digital Source 2
     Nag MP500
    DAC
     supex d900 mkII
    Integrated Amp
     N.A.F. 300b Supreme
    Speakers
     CoCo's fave KEFs
    Pre Amp
     SJS 1.5 Special
    Power Amp
     Airtight 211 MBs
    Headphones
     Dr Dre da Beats
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     Yes
    new surrounds of the correct type can be had for less than 100 from Speakerbits in Melbourne, Aus (including shims and glue) or there are sometimes whole cones available on e bay for about 300 or you can send them back to Lockwoods for slightly more than this.

Entirely doable at home, even if new coils/spiders are required. The only problem is that until you strip them you won't know the extent of the repairs.
    ITEMS FOR SALE

Real Name
     Stewart
    Turn Table
     NOT AT THE MOMENT!
    Digital Source 1
     Yes I have one
    Integrated Amp
     DenonAVPA1/Crown
    Speakers
     IAS, horns, modified
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Yes the work is "doable" or if you cant do it yourself I will send you the contact details of a man that can. He doesnt charge a fortune either!
    I am just a soul boy at heart.

Digital Source 1
     Arcam
    Digital Source 2
     Solo
    Integrated Amp
     Neo
    Speakers
     Unfashionable
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    I'm the highest (only) bidder on these - well they are in Somerset so be rude not to . Not that I need them, am currently enjoying some Pearl Jam on my golds as I type, but if they go cheap then.....fuck it.

The Amesbury's are basically rectangular Yorks I believe, big blighters, yummy.

Registered
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Quote Originally Posted by stewartwen View Post
    Yes the work is "doable" or if you cant do it yourself I will send you the contact details of a man that can. He doesnt charge a fortune either!
    Can you tell me the location of this contact. I'm in the process of checking prices. Not too keen on having them sent by post tho'.
    Im in central belt of Scotland.
    More detail on TXN on what I'm looking to have done. http://thecrossovernetwork.co.uk/for...ce-suggestions

Registered
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    even if new coils/spiders are required. Do you happen to know if these are expensive.

Real Name
     Stewart
    Turn Table
     NOT AT THE MOMENT!
    Digital Source 1
     Yes I have one
    Integrated Amp
     DenonAVPA1/Crown
    Speakers
     IAS, horns, modified
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    My contact is in the South of England! If you dont want to post them I would get Coatbridge to recone them!
    S
    I am just a soul boy at heart.

Digital Source 1
     Arcam
    Digital Source 2
     Solo
    Integrated Amp
     Neo
    Speakers
     Unfashionable
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    And there you go, proof that bargains can still be had on vintage Tannoys - the Amesburys went for a mere 585 - one bid above me, and if I'd been at home when it finished I probably would have stuck another one on. And on the same day that a slightly ropey pair of 10" reds go for 1600. I bet the people who bid on reds and silvers have probably never even heard them before. I've had a black, a silver, 2 pairs of reds, golds, 3 x hpd's and various newer models and there's absolutely no way on earth I'd be spunking up the kind of money these punters do just because myth tells them that rarer = better, and let cracking bargains like the Amesburys pass by. Nuts.

Registered
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Quote Originally Posted by stewartwen View Post
    My contact is in the South of England! If you dont want to post them I would get Coatbridge to recone them!
    S
    Thanks S,

I have been receiving info' on costs within the past week. Just to see what the various difference was.
    84.128 for speakerbits for surrounds, that includes shipping. Not sure what import tax would be.
    Also, had quotes from Lockwood and Coatbridge. As you mentioned Coatbridge would require no posting.

If I was brave enough I would do the job myself, the procedure is here. http://www.44bx.com/tannoy/HPD_recone.html

Have not been lucky enough to hear 15'' Golds, maybe one day. I have 12'' Golds at the moment which are hard edge ones. I prefer my 15'' HPD tho' to these.
    So, eager to have them reconed.

If anyone can recommend someone who can service the crossovers for my HPD. It would be helpful. I have a contact, not in the UK tho' so, was just looking for other options first.

La toilette, unfortunate about the bid. What do you prefer about the Golds over the HPD 385, apart from the planned obsolescence?

Digital Source 1
     Arcam
    Digital Source 2
     Solo
    Integrated Amp
     Neo
    Speakers
     Unfashionable
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Quote Originally Posted by roslin View Post
    La toilette, unfortunate about the bid. What do you prefer about the Golds over the HPD 385, apart from the planned obsolescence?
    I chose 12" Golds (with rubber surrounds) over 12" HPD's, not over 15" HPD's. I personally found the golds capable of a bit more delicacy or definition on the higher frequencies, but I'd be perfectly happy with either as they really are very similar. The fact that the golds will not require any servicing to the surounds in the future did also influence my decision.

A few years back I elected to keep a pair of 10" reds over some 12" HPD's - took me a couple of weeks appreciate what a crap move that was - I'd been so excited to find some cheap reds that I didn't even pause to consider that they might not suit my tastes as well as my Devons. Now I'm a bit more inclined to spend more time listening to them before making any rash decisions. A few months ago I picked up some 12" reds and once again they fell short of expectations. Probably different strokes for different folks, maybe it's the kind of music I listen to, but compared to my golds......no contest.

Re the Amesburys - probably just as well I didn't win them, it may have stretched relations with my better half a bit too thin - I already have big 120L cabs but those Amesburys would still have been significantly larger!!!!

Registered
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Thanks la toilette,

I prefer my HPD385, over my 12'' golds. It may be familiarity in part, as I have had the HPD for 16 years or so.
    They are in Lancasters and have been since I got them.
    The golds, would be greatly improved, if I had them in bigger cab's. They are in Chatsworths. They have the rubber surround as well.
    I so miss the bass of the HPD385, so would not consider changing them to gold type cones. Even, if it means recone in another 16 years.

Those Amesburys, looked to me as if someone had put in some extra bracing and perhaps new damping material, did not look like the stuff that was in my Lancasters?

Digital Source 1
     Arcam
    Digital Source 2
     Solo
    Integrated Amp
     Neo
    Speakers
     Unfashionable
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Yep my Golds are now in their 4th cabs; originally in Lancasters now in super-sturdy birch ply cabs - makes a big difference! Chatsworths are much too small to do your golds justice really.

I think those Amesburys were all original - much bigger cabinets than Lancasters, I think 50-75% bigger, braced to calm those big panels. Must stop thinking about them now or I'll start regretting not bidding higher - though even I might have found them a bit overwhelming in my little cottage .

Real Name
     Chris
    Turn Table
     Oxford Crystal Ref.
    T/Arm & Cart
     Helius/Koetsu
    SUT/Phono
     Trilogy 907
    Digital Source 1
     Wadipod
    Digital Source 2
     Macbook
    DAC
     DuncDAC /A Synthesis
    Speakers
     Klark Jade 1's
    Pre Amp
     Peter Sanhen SP1.5
    Power Amp
     (in the speakers)
    Headphones
     Philips Fidelio
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Thats bloody cheap for HPD's! mind you a recone and surround by Lockwoods another 400.
    "Before you play two notes learn how to play one note - and don't play one note unless you've got a reason to play it."
    - Mark Hollis (1998)

Sssshhh Shut The F..k Up It Cost How Much!?!'s Avatar
    Real Name
     Bob
    Turn Table
     Transrotor Fat Bob
    T/Arm & Cart
     Transrotor/Koetsu
    SUT/Phono
     S&B/Hagerman Trumpet
    Digital Source 1
     Esoteric P-30
    DAC
     AS DAX Discrete
    Speakers
     JBL L112 Quad ESL989
    Pre Amp
     Audio Research SP14
    Power Amp
     Primare 928 (white)
    Headphones
     Stax 4040 Beyer 990
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Quote Originally Posted by SMEagol View Post
    Thats bloody cheap for HPD's! mind you a recone and surround by Lockwoods another 400.
    Plus shipping both ways, so 450.

Digital Source 1
     Arcam
    Digital Source 2
     Solo
    Integrated Amp
     Neo
    Speakers
     Unfashionable
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Or DIY re-foam for <100. Not the ideal but excellent results are perfectly achievable if you're willing to take your time and do a careful job of it.

Sssshhh Shut The F..k Up It Cost How Much!?!'s Avatar
    Real Name
     Bob
    Turn Table
     Transrotor Fat Bob
    T/Arm & Cart
     Transrotor/Koetsu
    SUT/Phono
     S&B/Hagerman Trumpet
    Digital Source 1
     Esoteric P-30
    DAC
     AS DAX Discrete
    Speakers
     JBL L112 Quad ESL989
    Pre Amp
     Audio Research SP14
    Power Amp
     Primare 928 (white)
    Headphones
     Stax 4040 Beyer 990
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    If it's been standing for a while & used with the surround buggered, it will need re-coning and new surrounds and maybe the spiders (which are worth doing anyway), so this is really a 1K+ pair of speakers, which is why it sold for less than 600. The cabs are next to worthless, maybe 100 if you are lucky, as nobody wants big ugly Tannoy cabs that flap about (I think you can tell I am not a fan of Tannoy cabs).

I think it was a more than fair price, considering the work that probably needs doing to get them to sound right. The surround fix I am 99% certain won't work to get them to sound good, which they will if they are repaired correctly.

Digital Source 1
     Arcam
    Digital Source 2
     Solo
    Integrated Amp
     Neo
    Speakers
     Unfashionable
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Well yes it is possible that damage can occur if the surrounds get so bad that the cone is not fully supported, and one of the three pairs I've replaced surrounds on would have benefitted from a complete recone as one voice coil was no longer perfectly circular. The other two pairs though were in excellent order as the original foam was still intact, just on its last legs. So it can be done and it can work perfectly, as I have done it and I listened to them very carefully before and after . There were a lot of threads on this on the yahoo Tannoy forum a few years back and lots of people have replaced their surrounds to their apparent satisfaction. Of course, if you have the cash then a recone by Lockwood is certainly the best option, but it's not true to say that it's not possible to effectively replace just the surround without compromising the drivers.

Tannoy cabs can be improved upon, sure, but at least Amesburys are just about large enough to do justice to 15"-ers so would be one of the better ones to pick. And I rather like the look of old Tannoy cabs despite then being a bit flappy, better than all those shiny new black daleks I see around .

Anyway my original comments on these were really that compared to the prices that pre-HPD models are fetching, they were something of a bargain.

Registered
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    La toilette,
    Re,
    Yep my Golds are now in their 4th cabs; originally in Lancasters now in super-sturdy birch ply cabs - makes a big difference! Chatsworths are much too small to do your golds justice really.
    I think I read somewhere that, golds need bigger cabs than HPD, to hear the them at their best. It would be great if I could get the opportunity to listen to them in something bigger, with better bracing. I had only bought these as a stand by for the inevitable of having my HPD reconed. Also a bit out of curiosity.
    I did toy with the idea of quickly putting them in even the Lancasters whilst I'm have the HPD work done. I'v heard you can use something that can alter the aperture to allow them to fit. Lancasters are not the best I know, think they would be a bit better than the Chatsworth tho'.
    Not sure I want to start doing this, as I have enough going on with the HPD at the moment.

I have been looking at the process of the recone, every time I look, I'm still not clear as to what the spider looks like. I know the general location.
    and what it does. If anyone can direct me to a clear photo of the component, on it's own, if possible,that would be great.