Pre Amp
     Bow
    Power Amp
     Bryston
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

T'other day I swapped the jumpers between bass and mid/treble drivers on my Leemasfor 10mm earth cable, thinking that everyone raves about how getting rid of those crappy bits of brass will do wonders..

So after much faffing to get it in (fnurr), I switched on the system, and it soundedslightly more detailed, slightly more real, slightly less harsh. In other words it sounded absolutely grand.

However, after listening for a couple of hours it dawned on me that it had always sounded absolutely grand, and that there may not have been a difference at all - just a slightly dodgy audio memory.

So my point is, how real are minor tweaks? It took me about 10 minutes to change the jumpers, during which time the gear was switched off. Is audio memory to be trusted to that level of accuracy, or should I be wiring my whole system with 10mm earth, or go the whole hog and try and shoe-horn 16mm in?

Wammer
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

As you say, there were maybe no changes at all, and you had simply unconsciously tried to convince yourself there would be, and reality won over...this may be the same syndrome that convinces people that there hifi sounds so bad the only way to sort it out is to spend £5k on a CD or £500 on a mains lead.
    [Luke:] I can't believe it. [Yoda:] That is why you fail.

Banned
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     Yes

Post imported post

This cuts both ways - on the one hand expectation can definitely be self-fulfilling, but equally our brains very quickly adjust to even major changes in sonic signature, especially if the music listened to is very familiar asmemory fills in the gaps as it were. Curiously sceptics only acknowledge the former phenomenon...

Wammer

Post imported post

I think the best thing you can do is not listen for changes.

Put on one of your favorite albums and go about doing something else, e.g. cleaning or read a magazine. If you find yourself compelled to sing along, look up, oryou get goosebumps without dedicated listening then you've probably done something right. If you don't get any of those -switch back.

I for one, have conviced myself at the time of trying new things that the change has positive results, only to realise later that it actually had negative ones. Especially if I've bought blind.
    "Your head can go real screw when saucers chasing you. Dance the manta ray."

Real Name
     Phil
    Turn Table
     Voyd
    T/Arm & Cart
     HR100S, Decca SG DP
    SUT/Phono
     Prototype AI P2
    Digital Source 1
     CEC TL53Z
    Digital Source 2
     Thinkpad and rBlink
    DAC
     AN 1.1 Sig
    Speakers
     LV OBX-R2
    Pre Amp
     AN Jp M7
    Power Amp
     NAF 845 SET
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

PARAGON wrote:
    As you say, there were maybe no changes at all, and you had simply unconsciously tried to convince yourself there would be, and reality won over...this may be the same syndrome that convinces people that there hifi sounds so bad the only way to sort it out is to spend £5k on a CD or £500 on a mains lead.
    Maybe they do thisbecause they can afford to and want to.

Do you have an issue with that?
    My Flickr Page: http://www.flickr.com/photos/philnmorgan/

When a man steals your wife, there is no better revenge than to let him keep her. (David Bissonette)

Digital Source 1
     Cairn Fog V2
    Integrated Amp
     Cairn 4808A
    Speakers
     Dali Suite 2.8
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

PARAGON wrote:
    that and also the fact that forum members (or whatever) often give you the idea in the first place - so you're sure the tweak will work...

maybe this is part of the overall decline in hifi forums over the last few years..?

we don't seem to be getting any new long term members (not just this one either) - but perhaps people are buying into AV and MP3 these days instead...
    want some free chicken breasts? order from here -
    http://www.musclefood.com/AM35117
    as recommended by Jesus

Turn Table
     Clearaudio
    T/Arm & Cart
     SME
    SUT/Phono
     EAR
    Digital Source 1
     Advantage
    Speakers
     Leema/Ditton
    Pre Amp
     Bow
    Power Amp
     Bryston
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

earl of sodbury wrote:
    This cuts both ways - on the one hand expectation can definitely be self-fulfilling, but equally our brains very quickly adjust to even major changes in sonic signature, especially if the music listened to is very familiar asmemory fills in the gaps as it were. Curiously sceptics only acknowledge the former phenomenon...
    That was the problem - I listened to a new LP (Voice of the Seven Woods - brilliant btw) - and it sounded great. Then I watched a movie, which was when it started to all sound familiar again.

However, the DVD is only wired in with Chord Pacific, but the TT has Clearaudio Trident wiring, and of course the DVD was £200, the TT/phono combo over £3k!

So it's possible there was a difference - maybe I'll stick the jumpers back in and have a good listen to Bootsy's "Ultra Wave" before and after. Luckily I've got about 20m of 10mm earth cable lying around from a wee jobbie so it's a very cheap experiment if I replace all the speaker cable!

Effem

Post imported post

A minor tweak in total isolation is just that - a minor tweak.

Put a whole series of minor tweaks into your system though and it might be another ball game entirelywith the cumulative effects being quite considerable, with one or more previous tweaks benefitsbeing revealed by another later addition elsewhere in the chain, but not immediately apparent when applied

Real Name
     James
    Turn Table
     Acoustic Solid 111
    T/Arm & Cart
     Audio Note / Benz
    SUT/Phono
     Puresound T10/P10
    Digital Source 1
     Leema - Antilla
    Digital Source 2
     SONOS connect
    DAC
     CA DAC Magic
    Speakers
     Living Voice OBX R2
    Pre Amp
     Modwright SWL 9.0SE
    Power Amp
     Bladelius (Advantage
    Headphones
     Bowers & Wilkins P7
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

They may have made a real difference and you just got used to the sound. Or your satisfaction ata job well done may have made you feel better and therefore enjoy your hifi that bit more.

I have no idea which is true. Those brass plates don't look ideal to me. But then.. maybe they are, it's juts a gut feeling with tweaks like this isn't it.

Banned
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     Yes

Post imported post

Leonard Smalls wrote:
    earl of sodbury wrote:
    That was the problem - I listened to a new LP (Voice of the Seven Woods - brilliant btw) - and it sounded great. Then I watched a movie, which was when it started to all sound familiar again.

However, the DVD is only wired in with Chord Pacific, but the TT has Clearaudio Trident wiring, and of course the DVD was £200, the TT/phono combo over £3k!

So it's possible there was a difference - maybe I'll stick the jumpers back in and have a good listen to Bootsy's "Ultra Wave" before and after. Luckily I've got about 20m of 10mm earth cable lying around from a wee jobbie so it's a very cheap experiment if I replace all the speaker cable!
    Minor tweaks tend to be most obvious only after they've been in place for a long time and are then swapped back out - they are after all minor.

Frank's point is a good one, and is certainly true of the mods we make inside the cases as well as those outside.

churz, eofs

Real Name
     Mike
    Turn Table
     Brass one
    SUT/Phono
     valve
    Digital Source 1
     Italian valved
    Digital Source 2
     new fangled digital
    Integrated Amp
     French
    Speakers
     Old
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

Another problem is the way you listen.

Many is the time I have gone to a shop demo and thought 'wow, I have never noticed that before, this is a good amp/CD/speakers'. Then I have gone home and listened to my system and realised the sound is there after all. The only explanation I can think of is that in the shop dem I was listening for things I hadn't heard (or noticed) before. But at home I was listening to the music as a whole, except for the time immediately after the dem.

I suspect this is what has happened in this case.

Banned
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     Yes

Post imported post

mikehit wrote:

Many is the time I have gone to a shop demo and thought 'wow, I have never noticed that before, this is a good amp/CD/speakers'. Then I have gone home and listened to my system and realised the sound is there after all. The only explanation I can think of is that in the shop dem I was listening for things I hadn't heard (or noticed) before. But at home I was listening to the music as a whole, except for the time immediately after the dem.

Damn good point Mike When I'm upgrading internal components I ofteninclude deliberately unfamiliar music for listening afterwards in the hope of minimising this influence.

Wammer
    Turn Table
     2 x 1210s
    Digital Source 1
     RA Opus 21
    Power Amp
     Sugden A21P
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

mikehit wrote:

I've experienced this phenomenon on many occasions, but my theory is that some things highlight certain instruments or noises more than others, so a slightly brighter system may reveal a cymbal you hadn't heard before a fraction more than your own system. It's always been there, but it's revealed, if you like, half a decibel lower than another instrument which your home system is more adept at revealing.

Once you know the sound is there, though, you can specifically listen for it, and so will usually hear it in your system.

Not sure if I've explained that terribly well, but I know what I mean.

Real Name
     Duke of Steepletone
    Turn Table
     Steepletone Rock One
    Digital Source 1
     Steepletone Rock One
    Digital Source 2
     Steepletone Rock One
    Speakers
     Steepletone Rock One
    Pre Amp
     Steepletone Rock One
    Power Amp
     Steepletone Rock One
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

I reckon Smalls should give 'the Funk' a rest and listen to some fey female singer-songwriters in order to sharpen up his listening skills.
    New signature coming soon...

Wammer

Post imported post

Mike - I think you make an excellent point there.I have a pet 'theory' that when actively listening for either a small tweak or a major change, the left hand side of the brain which deals with analysis, evaluation, problem solving etcbecomes engaged and your listening becomes more analytical, ie you are almost guaranteed to detect a change whether eal or imaginary. But the real enjoyment from the music comes from the right hand side which deals with emotion, feelings, creativity and such other stuff and is the way we mostly listen to music slobbing out on the sofa.Which leads me to conclude that the best way to detect an improvement is to live with the change for a while and see whether your enjoyment improves.
    I don\'t want anymore, thank you

Turn Table
     Clearaudio
    T/Arm & Cart
     SME
    SUT/Phono
     EAR
    Digital Source 1
     Advantage
    Speakers
     Leema/Ditton
    Pre Amp
     Bow
    Power Amp
     Bryston
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

notaclue wrote:
    I reckon Smalls should give 'the Funk' a rest and listen to some fey female singer-songwriters in order to sharpen up his listening skills.
    The Funk will never rest. It moves, but cannot be re-moved. Dig?

Wammer
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

Papa Lazarou wrote:
    PARAGON wrote:

I have no issue with that, obviously you do..?

Real Name
     Phil
    Turn Table
     Voyd
    T/Arm & Cart
     HR100S, Decca SG DP
    SUT/Phono
     Prototype AI P2
    Digital Source 1
     CEC TL53Z
    Digital Source 2
     Thinkpad and rBlink
    DAC
     AN 1.1 Sig
    Speakers
     LV OBX-R2
    Pre Amp
     AN Jp M7
    Power Amp
     NAF 845 SET
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

PARAGON wrote:
    Papa Lazarou wrote:
    PARAGON wrote:

No - I believe in cables and have invested as such.
    My Flickr Page: http://www.flickr.com/photos/philnmorgan/

When a man steals your wife, there is no better revenge than to let him keep her. (David Bissonette)

Wammer
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

Papa Lazarou wrote:
    PARAGON wrote:
    Papa Lazarou wrote:
    PARAGON wrote:

No - I believe in cables and have invested as such.
    Exactly! some believe, some don't. the world would be a dull place (especially some of the threads here recently) if we all agreed on everything.

I'm a cold Italian pizza Professor Chaos's Avatar
    Real Name
     Kelley
    Turn Table
     Well Tempered
    T/Arm & Cart
     ATechnica 150MLX
    SUT/Phono
     Jolida JD9
    Digital Source 1
     47Labs 4716Shigaraki
    DAC
     47Labs 4715Shigaraki
    Speakers
     B&W DM12 modified
    Pre Amp
     Array A-1
    Power Amp
     Crimson 630D Monos
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

My silly take...

At the end of the day Idon't go home, hook up a suite of test instruments, and listen to sweep tones through my hi-fi. I listen to musicthat moves me somehow...an emotional experience. How can emotion thenbe discounted as motivating factor in me choosing one item of kit over another?

I've grown increasingly sceptical of some manufacturer's claims and don't hear some of the differences I used to hearAt the same time, that doesn't give me the right to rain on someone else's parade. Maybe folks are imagining what they hear, but no one has to justify their experience to me or anyone else. If its all"fantasy" so what?

I can't see why some get their panties in a knot abouthow others spend their money.
    And if you play Defender, I can be your hyperspace.