Modwright SWL 9.0SE
    Power Amp
     Advantage S100
    Headphones
     Bowers & Wilkins P7
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

I contend that iPOD's are overpriced Apple rip off shite. And that people only buy them becasue the white cable and apple ear pieces are a fashion statement.

When I see them it gives me that same feeling as seeing a Woman delivering her overweight kids to school in a 4x4. WALK you lazy bstsrdds!

Sorry, I got carried away a bit there.

Any way. if I am wrong about the iPOD statemnet then let me know. I know I am right about t he 4x4 school runners so don't even get me started Why do they have to have those Bull Bars on the front.. is it for the grieving parents to tie the flowers onto.. sorry i went again... it's bubbling over this morning.. no school and the traffic is down by at least 90%.. no wonder all the kids are fat.. Christ i can't stop... help mee...

Post imported post

agree and disagree on this one, I have the Iriver 40gb HD map3 player, I don't use it much except when away on business, plane journeys fly by (no pun intended) and great in hotel rooms instead of watching the idiot box, In hotel rooms I use mine with a little creative stereo speaker, great.

I personally think it is a great sdjunct to your hifi, but certainly it will be outclassed sonically by an entry level cd player, if you want to play MP3's through your system, get a music server.

Real Name
     Carl
    Turn Table
     Systemdek IIX
    T/Arm & Cart
     Rega 250
    Digital Source 1
     Slim Transporter
    Digital Source 2
     Esoteric DV50
    Speakers
     PMC OB1
    Pre Amp
     Bryston BP25
    Power Amp
     Bryston 4B ST
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

Take a chill pill James

I am an iPod fan and user myself, 40gb 4th generation iPod which I use almost daily.

I am first and foremost a music fan and the ability to go wherever and whenever I want with access to over 7,500 tracks in a device that fits in my pocket is simply fantastic and has changed my life for the better.

When I am away on business I listen to it in the car via iTrip, and when I stay overnight in a hotel it is a godsend.

I can understand why some people dislike them but we should all be grateful for the current resurgence that the youth of today have for listening to decent music once again, which is almost solely down to the iPod being the current must have fashion accessory.
    D'oh, Why Do My Actions Have To Have Consequences?

Wammer
    Real Name
     Tim
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

Wooah, easy there dude! You'll bust something important and an ipod aint worth it. My mate has one for the tube - but doesnt like the white headphones (plus they're sh*te so he got some expensive shure ones) I thought about getting the iriver Ak mentioned, cos it looks cool and has a optical out etc etc. But then i realised id never use it. (EDIT: my commute isnt long enough. Plus i hate in ear headphones.)

Personally id never have one, because everyone else has one. Plus ive used it and didnt actually think the user interface was as good as everyone else has been brainwashed into thinking it is.

As for the 4x4s. Well i live in Cambridge, which has one of the worst traffic problems in the country. And its all down to all the private schools. As soon as they break up. Bingo. Roads empty. (well ok not empty but at least you can move.)

Wammer
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

Never seen much point in getting an ipod - again, I'm not too keen on in ear phones and a big pair of closed back ones could look kind-of conspicious.

Anyway, have a look at apple's latest upgrade ;) http://www.layersmagazine.com/featur...e_cs2/flea.htm

Jon

Wammer

Post imported post

I wouldnt mind one, but its not exactly high on my list of priorities. Apparently the best sounding play these days are the iAudio players.

Real Name
     Testy
    Turn Table
     Thorens TD2010
    T/Arm & Cart
     AO250, 2m Red
    SUT/Phono
     Slee Era V Gold
    Digital Source 1
     Pioneer DVL919
    Digital Source 2
     Tascam DA-20 MkII
    DAC
     Luxman DA-100
    Integrated Amp
     Stello Ai500
    Speakers
     Aurelia Ambera
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

I'm happy withthe sound quality of myDatman, but can see that the hassel of lugging around loads of Dats/CD's/Minidisc's, puts people of nowadays of owning a cd or minidisc portable, when they canown something the size of an ipod with 1000's of songs instantly accessible. Anywaydo you think most iPod users are interested in reproduction quality;) Also why is the iPod cool and all the other MP3's are not, nothing to do with Apple's massive marketing then.

James, with you on the 4x4, follow a convoy of them every day to work

clean gloves hide dirty hands

Wammer
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

Why do they have to have those Bull Bars on the front.. is it for the grieving parents to tie the flowers onto..
    Bull-bars are really useful if you live in the outback of Australia - they ensure that if a kangaroo jumps in front of your car the kangaroo gets mangled and neither you nor your car do. In the UK they ensure that if you hit a person, the person gets mangled. I *think* they've been banned on new 4 x 4s in the UK, but the way the front bumpers are built on the new 4 x 4s ensures they're especially damaging to any people they hit anyway.

Was walking down to the Tall Ships festival in Newcastle - walked past hundreds of bright sparks who were trying (they weren't moving at the time) to drive their immaculate 4 x 4s into a festival in central Newcastle - and the festival was closer to the metro/park and ride drop-offs than to the parking in town anyway

By the way, take a guess what the most common complaint from buyers of those huge humvee SUVs it - the fuel efficiency is poor

Jon

Real Name
     Jezzer
    Digital Source 1
     SB Touch
    Digital Source 2
     Audiolab 8200CDQ
    Speakers
     Usher Be-718
    Power Amp
     Bel Canto eVo2 GenII
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

Not overpriced. Convenient. Good Ergonomics. Good sound. Haven't a bad comment to make about the iPod.
    Eats, shoots and leaves...

Founding Wammer
    Real Name
     Murray
    Digital Source 1
     Arcam
    Pre Amp
     E. Electric MiniMax
    Power Amp
     Rogue Audio 90
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

I like them too - have an Ipod Mini for travelling. I've never used the white earphones as they were supposedly attracting muggers.

Banned
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     Yes

Post imported post

hifiwigwam wrote:
    ....When I see them it gives me that same feeling as seeing a Woman delivering her overweight kids to school in a 4x4. WALK you lazy bstsrdds!

Any way. if I am wrong about the iPOD statemnet then let me know. I know I am right about t he 4x4 school runners so don't even get me started Why do they have to have those Bull Bars on the front.. is it for the grieving parents to tie the flowers onto.. sorry i went again... it's bubbling over this morning.. no school and the traffic is down by at least 90%.. no wonder all the kids are fat.. Christ i can't stop... help mee...
    Stuff the Ipod James, I am SO with you on the school run rant!!! I'm getting to work 20 minutes earlier for a 37 mile mainly motorway/dual carriageway run!!! YTF do they need those aircraft-carrier sized behemoths to potter3 miles a day? GAH!!! You got me at it and only a couple of weeks late.... :Upset::Upset::Upset::Upset::Upset::Upset::Upset:: Upset::Upset::Upset:

Mind, you think we have it bad, in Reykjavik there's a bloke using a Porsche Cayenne as a taxi-cab!!!!

New thread I think, in fact, new "RANTS" forum needed methinks....

churz, G. Oldegytte

Real Name
     James
    Turn Table
     Acoustic Solid 111
    T/Arm & Cart
     Audio Note / Benz
    SUT/Phono
     Puresound T10/P10
    Digital Source 1
     Leema - Antilla
    Digital Source 2
     SONOS connect
    DAC
     Leema Elements
    Speakers
     Mulidine Allegretto
    Pre Amp
     Modwright SWL 9.0SE
    Power Amp
     Advantage S100
    Headphones
     Bowers & Wilkins P7
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

earl of sodbury wrote:
    hifiwigwam wrote:
    ....When I see them it gives me that same feeling as seeing a Woman delivering her overweight kids to school in a 4x4. WALK you lazy bstsrdds!

Stuff the Ipod James, I am SO with you on the school run rant!!! I'm getting to work 20 minutes earlier for a 37 mile mainly motorway/dual carriageway run!!! YTF do they need those aircraft-carrier sized behemoths to potter3 miles a day? GAH!!! You got me at it and only a couple of weeks late.... :Upset::Upset::Upset::Upset::Upset::Upset::Upset:: Upset::Upset::Upset:

Mind, you think we have it bad, in Reykjavik there's a bloke using a Porsche Cayenne as a taxi-cab!!!!

New thread I think, in fact, new "RANTS" forum needed methinks....

churz, G. Oldegytte
    Rant section comming up.. quality idea boyo.

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

Wingless Garuda wrote:
    I like them too - have an Ipod Mini for travelling. I've never used the white earphones as they were supposedly attracting muggers.
    Yup. good ole "mug-me" white ear phones I sold my straight away. You're right though james, people 'only' buy them at £140 for the white earphones. Not for the music or anything lol ;) Nah, most people with them are paps. I always wonder what they've got on it, Britney Spears? Keane? Dave Pearce hard pumping dance anthems volume 24 to the power of 5. I used to listen to Mars by Holst on the bus to work and then shout at the customers lol I love it
    You go for a walk in the park one day and wheelchair ninjas, Nazis, and pots and pans robots show up to kill you. And dinosaurs show up to eat the remains. You\'ve seen the news...?

Wammer

Post imported post

The ipod is a great product, without it iRivers and the like wouldn't have made the effort to improve their products.What sets the iPod apart (aside fromt he wheel) is iTunes, there is simply no software avaialble anywhere that comes close for ease of use.

Post imported post

hi Gary, at least on this forum there are a couple of mac users so you may feel less isolated, welcome mate.

BTW not sure what browser yer using but safari don't work to well on this board other mac users are using IE

Wammer

Post imported post

Seems Ok this end, the only thing I am missing is a generic reply button, I have to reply to an indivdual post.Far to many rooms as well ;)

Post imported post

still setting things up, some rooms will stay, others will expand, and some will drop, too new to be set in it's ways yet

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

garyi wrote:
    Seems Ok this end, the only thing I am missing is a generic reply button, I have to reply to an indivdual post.Far to many rooms as well ;)
    Try replying with a quote,
    and also try
    typing
    on
    separate
    lines

and see what happens...

;)

Wammer

Post imported post

Hello thereMy name is GaryIndeed.

Wammer