Epiphany Acoustics Evolution Audio  Audio Emotion 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Wammer
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

No cable/mains arguments please, purely about whether you can hear a difference between warm/cold kit?

Personally I can. Which is strange as I canthear any difference between good quality cheap cables and expensive ones.

This is the second time I've noticed a big difference between warm and cold stuff, I'm talking stone cold here not just switched off over night.

Just got the classik back from its service at Linn, its been at the dealers for about 3 or 4 days and away from me for about 2-3 weeks, plugged it in and straight away it was dire, tinny and shouty (it also had some parts replcaed so that might of been a factor as well) left it running all evening at low volume witha cd on repeat, left it switched on all night and all today whilst at work, got home and started testing and its 100 X better, more so with vinyl.

The first time was a Meridian 508.24 that had been sat in a parcel farce depot for a cold weekend in January, got it straight home and same again, left it on and it was awesome after it had warmed up.
    Shoe bombers! Increase your payload by becoming a clown.

Wammer

Post imported post

Agree with you Matt. It does take kit time to warm up to its best. Why I leave my on stand-by all the time. Whooops wait for the fundamentalists to froth up ;)

Real Name
     James
    Turn Table
     Acoustic Solid 111
    T/Arm & Cart
     Audio Note / Benz
    SUT/Phono
     Puresound T10/P10
    Digital Source 1
     Leema - Antilla
    Digital Source 2
     SONOS connect
    DAC
     Leema Elements
    Speakers
     Living Voice OBX R2
    Pre Amp
     Modwright SWL 9.0SE
    Power Amp
     Advantage S100
    Headphones
     Bowers & Wilkins P7
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

I have the common decency to turn my kit off at night. However, I turn it on again in the mornign so its toasty when I get home from work.

Wammer

Post imported post

Warm kit sounds warmer, and cold kit sounds colder.

Is that psychological? ;)

I leave mine on all of the time, frightened after hearing about how light bulbs only break when turned on

Wammer

Post imported post

Matt J wrote:
    No cable/mains arguments please, purely about whether you can hear a difference between warm/cold kit?

Personally I can. Which is strange as I canthear any difference between good quality cheap cables and expensive ones.

This is the second time I've noticed a big difference between warm and cold stuff, I'm talking stone cold here not just switched off over night.

Just got the classik back from its service at Linn, its been at the dealers for about 3 or 4 days and away from me for about 2-3 weeks, plugged it in and straight away it was dire, tinny and shouty (it also had some parts replcaed so that might of been a factor as well) left it running all evening at low volume witha cd on repeat, left it switched on all night and all today whilst at work, got home and started testing and its 100 X better, more so with vinyl.

The first time was a Meridian 508.24 that had been sat in a parcel farce depot for a cold weekend in January, got it straight home and same again, left it on and it was awesome after it had warmed up.

No problem some kit sounds really rough when cold, Exposure very rough 99% of valve equipment. Chord amps not too bad but Chord cd players need

Have had a few Naim amplifiers 202 200 5 5i and never noticed any differance between one just switched on and one thats been on for a month.

Wammer
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

HiFiWigWam wrote:
    I have the common decency to turn my kit off at night. However, I turn it on again in the mornign so its toasty when I get home from work.
    Does that mean you too can hear a difference mate? only reason I ask is you dont do cables either.

I dont get involved in the cable threads for the simple reason that I dont claim that theres isnt a difference just that I cant hear one, I'm not clever enough to know the physics behind it all just that I canna hear owt!

Wammer
    Digital Source 1
     Bush

Post imported post

I turn mine off at night too. Why waste 8 hours worth of electricity?

Real Name
     Richard
    Turn Table
     Well (Bad) Tempered
    T/Arm & Cart
     WT / Dynavector XX2
    SUT/Phono
     Kairsound SUT
    Digital Source 1
     Marantz transport
    Digital Source 2
     Squeezebox
    DAC
     Audiosector NOS
    Integrated Amp
     In the workshop
    Speakers
     Living Voice
    Pre Amp
     Gordon Welford
    Power Amp
     845 nutter
    Headphones
     Nah
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

Mine's off night and day when I'm out grafting. Not inrequently, it stays off for a few days at a time. Absolutely like night and day when it's warmed up a bit. Immediately after switch-on, it's harsh, brittle and has sod-all imaging. Half an hour later it's fine.
    I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but Iím not sure you realise that what you heard is not what I meant.

Wammer
    Digital Source 1
     Bush

Post imported post

rabski wrote:
    Mine's off night and day when I'm out grafting. Not inrequently, it stays off for a few days at a time. Absolutely like night and day when it's warmed up a bit. Immediately after switch-on, it's harsh, brittle and has sod-all imaging. Half an hour later it's fine.

Well exactly, doesnt take 3 days for something to warm up properly.

Real Name
     Mrs Brown
    Digital Source 1
     Mac mini, SSD
    Digital Source 2
     Amarra, FireWire
    DAC
     Weiss DAC2
    Speakers
     Beolab 5
    Pre Amp
     In speakers
    Power Amp
     Class D ICEpower
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

I leave it all on at the weekend as its pretty much in constant use...30mins to an hour u sure can notice a difference....i never understood the "Naim" factor ...wait 2.5 years to burn in and you have to leave it on for 3 months after a weekend away...whats that all about..??!

I did for my sins borrow some Naim seperates over a weekend (few years ago) and the dealer used "it wasnt warmed up" as an excuse why i though it sounded flatter than a witches tit...lol

Wammer
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

My Nait 2 is a match for most things I've heard, each to their own.

Glad the classik is sounding better anyway as I hadnt heard it beforew as I bought it faulty, Linn serviced it and according to the invoice changed "faulty monolithics" whatever they are, will they need time to run in? the classik seems more pacey than the Naim kit I've had, almost seems TOO pacey to the point of the music sounding speeded up!!

I'm a cold Italian pizza Professor Chaos's Avatar
    Real Name
     Kelley
    Turn Table
     Well Tempered
    T/Arm & Cart
     ATechnica 150MLX
    SUT/Phono
     Jolida JD9
    Digital Source 1
     47Labs 4716Shigaraki
    DAC
     47Labs 4715Shigaraki
    Speakers
     B&W DM12 modified
    Pre Amp
     Array A-1
    Power Amp
     Crimson 630D Monos
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

Used to leave my gear on at all times, now I turn it off. It's really no big deal for me to wait half an hour for it to come back on song...not that I'm preaching.

Smokin' a big fatty speeds up the process big time
    And if you play Defender, I can be your hyperspace.

Real Name
     Richard
    Turn Table
     Ibanez
    T/Arm & Cart
     DiMarzio
    SUT/Phono
     EH Big Muff
    Integrated Amp
     Engl
    Speakers
     Celestion
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

Yes, I can hear a difference after around 20 minutes warm-up time. Leaving kit switched on is the best way of increasing the chance of failure (short of putting it in the oven on a low heat for half an hour every night). Heat is not good for electronics as it accelerates component ageing.

Real Name
     James
    Turn Table
     Acoustic Solid 111
    T/Arm & Cart
     Audio Note / Benz
    SUT/Phono
     Puresound T10/P10
    Digital Source 1
     Leema - Antilla
    Digital Source 2
     SONOS connect
    DAC
     Leema Elements
    Speakers
     Living Voice OBX R2
    Pre Amp
     Modwright SWL 9.0SE
    Power Amp
     Advantage S100
    Headphones
     Bowers & Wilkins P7
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

Matt J wrote:
    HiFiWigWam wrote:
    Does that mean you too can hear a difference mate? only reason I ask is you dont do cables either.

I dont get involved in the cable threads for the simple reason that I dont claim that theres isnt a difference just that I cant hear one, I'm not clever enough to know the physics behind it all just that I canna hear owt!

I have no idea if the difference is real or percieved on this one, I have not bothered testing it. Firstly it would be very difficult to test and secondly as the foo sellers haven't got round to making expensive F1 style Amp warmers yet there seems little point..

But I certainly percieve a difference yes. The Cairn amps sound rough and "edgy" until they warm up. They sound great after about an hour. No idea what is behind it, if anything. Could be my head saying warm amp = warm sound.

Stranger
    Real Name
     si
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

I leave my cd player on all the time (valve based) and my amp sounds better after half an hour after switch on.

The biggest difference is the turntable, needs a couple of sides of the needle to warm up before it sings.
    Foo Foo Manchu.

Wammer
    Real Name
     Miles
    Digital Source 1
     Apple
    DAC
     Metrum
    Integrated Amp
     Leben
    Speakers
     Living Voice
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

Matt J wrote:

Personally I can. Which is strange as I cant¬*hear any difference between good quality cheap cables and expensive ones.

Depends on the kit. A Sugden Claas A amp dies on its arse (technical term) for up to 24 hours after being powered down for even a few minutes. Lavardin amp, on the other hand, is fully back on song within 30 minutes max.

Valves obviously move the goalposts again.

Founding Wammer
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

I have been finding that there are dramatic changes in the bass from my valve amp as things warm up

Real Name
     Testy
    Turn Table
     Thorens TD2010
    T/Arm & Cart
     AO250, 2m Red
    SUT/Phono
     Slee Era V Gold
    Digital Source 1
     Pioneer DVL919
    Digital Source 2
     Tascam DA-20 MkII
    DAC
     Luxman DA-100
    Integrated Amp
     Stello Ai500
    Speakers
     Aurelia Ambera
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

My old densen definitely prefered staying on, really grumpy when woken up

The current Marantz also needs a good 30mins before it's out of slumberville.

clean gloves hide dirty hands

Real Name
     Ed
    Turn Table
     Project X-Pack
    SUT/Phono
     Sonneteer Sedley
    Digital Source 1
     Sonneteer Byron
    Digital Source 2
     Squeezebox Classic
    Speakers
     Spendor S8e
    Pre Amp
     Aura CA200
    Power Amp
     MF A3cr
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

I've foundthat Sugden A21a's tend to take awhile to warm up both physically and sonically; half an hour to an hour, though I've not experienced what notevenclose suggested, probably because I never leave it on long enough. At the rate it consumes leccy, I probably couldn't justfy it either!

Recently got hold of a Sonneteer Orton and had some correspondence with them. They suggested that the Orton needed about an hour before fully coming on song. The reasoning behind this was that the amp's internal bias needed that amount of time to adjust and steady, but that it would be rock steady after this. Not being particularly technical minded in the realm of electronics, perhaps someone could explain this?

Cheers

Ed

Wammer
    Digital Source 1
     Bush

Post imported post

So the concensus seems to be switch off at night, switch on when you get home from work.