Naim NAC 282 – Pre-Amplifier
Lehmann Audio Linear Headphone Amp
Ovation High Fidelity 1501/1701
Ovation Model 1721 Power Amplifier
DEAL OF THE DAY
NAD M51 DAC/Preamp
How It's Made - McIntosh Tube Amp
Chord Electronics’ Poly brings wireless, network and SD playback to the award-winning Mojo DAC
CES EARLY NEWS PREVIEW: EMBARGOED UNTIL 05.01.17 18.00 PST
5th January 2017, CES, Las Vegas: Chord Electronics has unveiled Poly, a revolutionary new network module which is set to introduce high-res wireless streaming, SD card and network music playback to Mojo, with both smartphone control and playback £499
Chord Electronics’ new Poly module enables the award-winning Mojo headphone amp/DAC as a fully fledged high-resolution wireless network music player, streamer and SD card playback device, and offers wireless playback and control from smartphones. Poly removes the need for a wired link between phone and Mojo for the first time, and allows a world of content to be decoded and played back using Chord’s proprietary DAC technology.
Poly is based on a condensed high-level PC, with data server, DLNA receiver, Wi-Fi hub, Bluetooth module and SD card (using MPD) functionality, and highly sophisticated software. Poly acts as a Wi-Fi and Bluetooth hub and can access music in a number of ways including streaming over Wi-Fi, network storage devices (NAS) and collections stored on SD cards using Mail Player Daemon. Bluetooth connectivity and AirPlay functionality provide real flexibility with smartphones and enable mutilple Mojo/Poly combinations to be used throughout the home, providing a high-quality multi-room streaming playback solution.
Highly advanced yet miniaturised as a plug-in module for Mojo, Poly has been designed for full control using the best (and most familiar) user interface in the world — the smartphone. When connected to Mojo, Poly conveniently slips into pockets, bags and handbags — it doesn’t need to be hand-carried or regularly checked like other players. Mojo was always a smartphone-enabling device and the same is true of Poly.
Poly is compatible with the latest high-resolution-audio file types and supports PCM files up to 768kHz resolution and DSD64 to DSD512 (Octa-DSD). Poly’s high-quality SD card reader/player frees up smartphone memory and storage, so vast libraries no longer need be kept locally on phones.
Chord Electronics and its design partners have made Poly’s high-speed technology fully mobile: Poly includes a rechargeable LiPo battery giving around nine hours playback from a sub-four-hour charge using the device’s fast-charging circuit. Both Mojo and Poly can be simultaneously charged using Poly’s Micro USB connector. Poly is precision-machined from aircraft-grade aluminium and hand assembled in the UK.
Poly can be controlled with a wide range of music playback apps for both Android and iOS devices, with AirPlay offering additional compatibility and intuitive operation with enabled devices. Poly also integrates with advanced music players such as Roon (excluding SD cards). Supported file types (to be confirmed) include: ACC, WAV, FLAC, AIFF, OGG VORBIS, ALAC, WMA and MP3.
The name is derived from the ancient Greek word meaning ‘a large number’ or ‘many’. The moniker is ideal for a product that is capable of incredible, wide-ranging functionality.
Features and specifications:
- Materials: Precision-machined aluminium casing with black anodisation, opaque black wireless signal window and silicone feet
- Battery: Rechargeable LiPo (Lithium Polymer) 2200mAh
- Play time: 9+ hours
- Charging: Sub-four hours, 2-amp Micro USB input. Both Mojo and Poly can be simultaneously charged via Poly’s Micro USB
- Connectivity types: Bluetooth A2DP and Wi-Fi 2.4GHz
- Storage: Micro SD card — unlimited maximum capacity
- Playback support: Roon, DNLA, AirPlay and Bluetooth playback
- Files supported: (to be confirmed) all major file types including: ACC, WAV, FLAC, AIFF, OGG VORBIS, ALAC, WMA and MP3
- PCM sample rates: 44.1kHz, 48kHz, 88.2kHz, 96kHz, 176.4kHz, 192kHz, 358.8kHz, 384kHz,717.6kHz and 768kHz
- DSD via DoP sample rates: DSD64 – DSD512 (Octa-DSD)
- Devices supported: iPhone; iPad, Android phones/tablets, Windows phones/tablets/PCs, Mac OS X computers and DAPs (Astell & Kern etc)
- Dimensions: 50mm (L) x 62mm (W) x 22mm (H)
- Playback of SD card audio. The file data is pushed to the phone for selection within a dedicated (MPD Music Player Daemon) app. When playback is initiated the command is sent to Poly for output via Mojo
- Playback of audio from a host device to Poly via Wi-Fi or Bluetooth. File data is read by the host’s MPD music player app and pushed to Poly for output via Mojo
- Roon playback pooled from multiple sources inc. storage from host devices, network storage and streaming service storage simultaneously. All audio playback will be pulled through to the Roon application for decoding then pushed back out to Poly to output audio via Mojo
- Playback of audio stored on local networks. Music on connected network storage devices can be accessed via W-Fi, for example, a Synology drive read by Poly, decoded and output through to Mojo for playback
Price and availability
Poly will be available in early 2017, price £499
Available images can be found here additional images to follow later in 2017
Chord Electronics contacts for publication
Tel: +44 (0)1622 721444
About Chord Electronics Ltd
Chord Electronics Ltd is a world-leading manufacturer of high-performance hi-fi and audio products. Since 1989, from its spectacular riverside base in Kent, England, Chord Electronics has been creating some of the planet’s finest hi-fi, home cinema and professional audio equipment. A technology-driven innovator, Chord Electronics continues to deliver excellence through exemplary audio engineering, cutting-edge design and a true aesthetic understanding.
Chord Electronics is trusted and admired internationally and its global customer base includes: Abbey Road Studios (London); Sony Music Studios (New York) and Skywalker Sound (California). For an extensive client list and more information on the full Chord Electronics range, please visit www.chordelectronics.co.uk