Staff member
Jul 19, 2007
North Nott's
AKA
Rick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
That was a good weekend! 

I have to admit I was a bit sceptical, going to a new venue with very different rooms, but I've come home feeling chuffed with the results. I liked every system I heard over the last couple of days and the atmosphere was spot on as usual. 

The hotel at Kegworth isn't as mad as Scalford from an exhibitor pov,  but the ease of access for visitors and the lift and wide corridors for anyone with any kind of disability make it a clear winner for me. No need for P&R either. Really easy access by road and easy to find. 

I'd like to say a huge thank you to everyone involved in the organisation of the show, and also to everyone that made the effort to drag all their gear down there for the weekend. 

I'd also like to say another huge thank you to everyone that mucked in helping move heavy boxes all over the place. The Wam Spirit lives on!

Here's hoping for better weather next year!

Non-Smoking Man

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 31, 2009
Chichester W. Sussx.
AKA
Jack lambert
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks to Peter for a warm handshake and nice welcome to the Show. This makes a difference as as times it wasnt fun on the drive up from the South Coast with the threat of the odd blizzard turning into something a bit nastier. My driver and right hand man is  a non Wammer and it was nice to be made to feel welcome and valued by Peter and Duvet after a difficult start to the weekend.

As to the village and the hotel we both really liked it: we ventured out to the Red Lion after unloading on Flash's advice (local knowledge) and enjoyed the walk and the buildings there and back as well as a bit of South v ersus North banter (Martin is from Croyden) in't pub. The car park is good, staff helpful, and the whole weekend went really smoothly. The rooms were initially a challenge with 'immoveable' furniture, wired in electrical items and scant power points. It was interesting to see how the exhibitors dealt with the environment and bent it to their needs. We definitely didnt unscrew anything in order to make it all more conducive as a listening room.

A big thankyou to the paying public who came into our room (219)and seemed more inquisitive and interested in our set up than I remember. The Original Cranfield Rock's damping system aroused plenty of interest, and the Jantzen speakers, which several people HAD heard of were also a topic of conversation. (A highlight for me was Steve, their builder, turning up out of the Blue, to see his babies performing (well); great to see you steve! I quizzed him about the systems he had heard and found that added to my store of Show gossip.) Steve used to be a Wammer but left because of the 'laddishness' of the Old Wam. I reassured him of the relative good behaviour of the current Wam (no jokes please) and he expressed a strong interest in rejoining. These Jantzens were Steve's first bild and he's working on another Ivers Groelsson design. Im sure he will be making a valuable contribution to the DIY section.

Finally, thanks to Lateral, a new, young and enthusiastic rack designer, who lent us a spare rack for the Rock which was nice and sounded good and Fourlegs who lent me a silver MFA TVC for the latter part of Sunday.

It was fab to meet up with some old friends and put a face to a name (eg.Bazzer).

Good Show.

insider9

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Feb 21, 2017
Rotherham
AKA
Lukasz
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Big thanks from me too to everyone involved!

Amazing show that really did justice to wonderful systems. I honestly would struggle to name the best sound on show as there was such variety and high standard. 

I would like to name a few if I may as standouts for me personally. But once again standard was high and there was something for just about anyone. I knew it was going to be a great show as soon as I walked into room 1 (Audioflyer) with Quad/Naim with lovely JBLs. 

Loved Urei 811A in room 8 with subs both sonically and visually :)  although  they had a tough competition next door (room 7) from Cable Monkey's Tannoys. First time ever have I heard Shahinian Obelisks (Knipster room 21) and they didn't disappoint. Really impressive as well as Boenicke W8 in room 117 (Aejoker and Maverick) seriously how is that even possible? :)  

The little DIY snow whites in room 110 (IJ Russel) with external crossovers were perhaps one of the biggest surprises. Along with Steve 57 creations in room 206. Oh what would I give to build a pair of speakers like that. 

Active PSI A21-m in room 5 (Raphaelsamad) were probably as close to all in one solution that I've seen. However Linn Exakt in Sunbeamgls's room 203 didn't disappoint once again. 

Fourlegs and his modified DALI 104 in room 216... Wow! Used to have a pair of 104s but these modifications took them up a few levels. Stunning! 

Oh and another great showing from Oldius & Son in room 121 confidently turning down volume on his impressive Yamaha NS1000M. 

Also big shout out to Occasional thinker (room 120), Tony_J & Ed Howard (room 204) great chat guys and equally impressive for different reasons. 

I'm sure I forgot about half of it by now so apologies to others for no mention. Also apologies to some of you if I rushed and didn't stay as long as really wanted to visit everyone. I've not left a single room being genuinely disappointed that's how high standard there was. 

But once again massive thanks. It was awesome and thanks so much for all the effort you all put lugging all this gear often amazing distance to make the show happen.

rmsshipbroker

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 4, 2012
Yorkshire
AKA
Steve
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
Finally, thanks to Lateral, a new, young and enthusiastic rack designer, who lent us a spare rack
I'd like to add my thanks to Kev from Lateral for lending myself and Robin a rack too.

I really wanted to exhibit the MRM The Source turntable due to its rare nature.

I tried two years ago in Scalford but being a suspended deck on a bouncy floor it just didn't work.

If someone farted in Japan the needle would jump out of the groove.

The floors at Keggie are definitely better but, disaster, it would still jump.

Then Kev brought across one of his stands and brilliantly it meant that provided a baby elephant didn't enter the room, (or Bandit Pilot), it held together.

Well chuffed. :D

Thanks also to all those who worked hard to organise the show and giving us what remains the biggest bake off on the planet.

oldius

Staff member
Dec 30, 2008
Liverpool
AKA
Geoff
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Big thanks from me too to everyone involved!

Amazing show that really did justice to wonderful systems. I honestly would struggle to name the best sound on show as there was such variety and high standard. 

I would like to name a few if I may as standouts for me personally. But once again standard was high and there was something for just about anyone. I knew it was going to be a great show as soon as I walked into room 1 (Audioflyer) with Quad/Naim with lovely JBLs. 

Loved Urei 811A in room 8 with subs both sonically and visually :)  although  they had a tough competition next door (room 7) from Cable Monkey's Tannoys. First time ever have I heard Shahinian Obelisks (Knipster room 21) and they didn't disappoint. Really impressive as well as Boenicke W8 in room 117 (Aejoker and Maverick) seriously how is that even possible? :)  

The little DIY snow whites in room 110 (IJ Russel) with external crossovers were perhaps one of the biggest surprises. Along with Steve 57 creations in room 206. Oh what would I give to build a pair of speakers like that. 

Active PSI A21-m in room 5 (Raphaelsamad) were probably as close to all in one solution that I've seen. However Linn Exakt in Sunbeamgls's room 203 didn't disappoint once again. 

Fourlegs and his modified DALI 104 in room 216... Wow! Used to have a pair of 104s but these modifications took them up a few levels. Stunning! 

Oh and another great showing from Oldius & Son in room 121 confidently turning down volume on his impressive Yamaha NS1000M. 

Also big shout out to Occasional thinker (room 120), Tony_J & Ed Howard (room 204) great chat guys and equally impressive for different reasons. 

I'm sure I forgot about half of it by now so apologies to others for no mention. Also apologies to some of you if I rushed and didn't stay as long as really wanted to visit everyone. I've not left a single room being genuinely disappointed that's how high standard there was. 

But once again massive thanks. It was awesome and thanks so much for all the effort you all put lugging all this gear often amazing distance to make the show happen.
Thanks very much for the comments on the Yamaha's. I absolutely adore those speakers but if the signal's not right, they'll show you that's for sure. A special mention therefore to the Lentek integrated and Technics SH-X1000 DAC that allowed them to do their dirty business!

HoopsOnToast

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Feb 6, 2006
Oxfordshire
AKA
Rob
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
Thanks to Peter and Danny (and everyone else) that made the weekend happen, really great show! :D

Just finished unpacking everthing and putting the system back together, I'll post some photos and deeper thoughts tomorrow once I've had a beer and a good nights sleep!

Reactions: Tony_J

occasional thinker

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 11, 2009
Steel City
AKA
Dave
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks to the organisers and helpers for making it all happen, to Bohemian for room-sitting and a good chat, to divedeepdog for loaning the rubber feet/spacers under my Revox speakers, and to mickyricky for helping with the carry-out on Sunday. Thanks also to everyone who called in for a listen and/or a chat.  An enjoyable weekend.

sunbeamgls

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 19, 2011
North Wales
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Thanks to the organisers, fellow exhibitors, the hotel, visitors and my family for a great weekend.

Special thanks to room co-host Kathryn (nope-dragon) for her enthusiasm, hard work and getting into the spirit that is The Wam Show.

The Reel BBC

Audio Pro
New Wammer
Aug 1, 2017
Reading
AKA
Philip Rutkowski
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Many Thanks to the organisers for putting together a well executed show, myself and Jonathan Billington (Music First Audio) both enjoyed the weekend and thankfully the weather didn't hit the numbers too badly, despite loosing one of my helpers, there seemed to be a good stream of people making their way through our room, and at one point standing room only while I played some Pink Floyd on 1/2 inch tape... Sublime! Good to see familiar faces all around.

Many Thanks to everyone for your kind compliments I'm sure Stewart (Lodgesound) would have appreciated it just as much as I do, I really missed him this year but his music compilations could always put a smile on everyone's faces (including mine).

I managed to get around most of the rooms in the couple hours I had spare, and as many have said, the overall standard of systems have been fantastic. A few of my faves were:

- Oldius's room with the Yamaha's, could have stayed there all day with a laid back yet accurate sound

- Segfault's room for velvety smooth digital streaming, also one I could listen to all day!

- Steve 57's room with his DIY Valve amp and speakers blew me away with a stunning sound stage.

Looking forward to next year ;-) ....With less snow!

bandit pilot

Comfortably Numb
Staff member
Jul 19, 2007
North Nott's
AKA
Rick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Many Thanks to the organisers for putting together a well executed show, myself and Jonathan Billington (Music First Audio) both enjoyed the weekend and thankfully the weather didn't hit the numbers too badly, despite loosing one of my helpers, there seemed to be a good stream of people making their way through our room, and at one point standing room only while I played some Pink Floyd on 1/2 inch tape... Sublime! Good to see familiar faces all around.

Many Thanks to everyone for your kind compliments I'm sure Stewart (Lodgesound) would have appreciated it just as much as I do, I really missed him this year but his music compilations could always put a smile on everyone's faces (including mine).

I managed to get around most of the rooms in the couple hours I had spare, and as many have said, the overall standard of systems have been fantastic. A few of my faves were:

- Oldius's room with the Yamaha's, could have stayed there all day with a laid back yet accurate sound

- Segfault's room for velvety smooth digital streaming, also one I could listen to all day!

- Steve 57's room with his DIY Valve amp and speakers blew me away with a stunning sound stage.

I had every intention of spending time in your room with that superb setup, sadly I only managed to get a 10 minute break thanks to @Bazzer , so I failed with you and many others. Glad we got to have a catch up on the Saturday night though.

oldius

Staff member
Dec 30, 2008
Liverpool
AKA
Geoff
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
That's really kind thank you.

steve 57

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Dec 7, 2008
east yorks, , UK
AKA
steve
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
Thanks Peter and the team it was a great weekend. I thought the hotel was great and the rooms very good. I really enjoyed myself. 

My kit being diy, I saw alot just walk by my room, understandably....

But those who ventured in seemed to enjoy what they heard.

Being on my own I did not get out enough during sunday or circulate enough on the Saturday evening.. but the rooms I visited I enjoyed very much

Roll on 2019...

Last edited by a moderator:
G

Thanks Peter and the team it was a great weekend. I thought the hotel was great and the rooms very good. I really enjoyed myself. 

Being on my own I did not get out enough during sunday or circulate enough on the Saturday evening.. but the rooms I visited I enjoyed very much

Roll on 2019...
I'm sure Steve we would have a lot more volunteers on the day to room sit if it was not for the weather . Keep and eye out for next years show and the babysitting thread . I think Boehemians services on the day were fully booked 

Bazzer

Staff member
Oct 22, 2009
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

Steve your speakers are fantastic , they were brilliant with heavy rock at Harrogate ( I actually sat down and enjoyed Sabbath ) and sublime with my Irish acoustic tracks I played on Sunday , faultless performance well done .

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Upvote
Reactions: Tony_J

harv

Hard working slacker
Wammer Plus
Jan 5, 2006
deepest S.London, ,
AKA
erm... guess
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Really enjoyed my time with your system Rick...  was a nice musical haven after the missus went to bed early early on Saturday night. You even put up with my music for a long while. Hope the CD player is an easy cheap fix... 

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles