Staff member
Jul 19, 2007
North Nott's
AKA
Rick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'm sure a few have done it?

My trusty (broken) Opus might be in need of a new laser assembly. I've found the part, but is that all there is to it?

I can use tools and replace it without saving bits or killing myself, but if I get stuck on firmware or anything electronically complicated it might end up in the bin.

The transport/loader is a common one (DSL-710A) and the laser is also available.

Any help will be appreciated, thanks.

craigmclellan

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 17, 2011
Boston, Lincolnshire
AKA
Craig
When I've changed an optical block on one of the Sony machines which uses a puck, I had to desolder two connections on the PCB which are there for prevention of any damage due to static discharge, after that, it was just a case of mounting it and plugging in the ribbon connector.

If the machine were an older one like the ES one in my lounge, you would need to use an oscilloscope to calibrate the focus/RF etc which is way out of my remit.

What's the model of the player? I'll look it up and see if it is a simple procedure. If it isn't, we can nag Serge, I am sure.

Reactions: bandit pilot

craigmclellan

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 17, 2011
Boston, Lincolnshire
AKA
Craig

bandit pilot

Comfortably Numb
Staff member
Jul 19, 2007
North Nott's
AKA
Rick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
When I've changed an optical block on one of the Sony machines which uses a puck, I had to desolder two connections on the PCB which are there for prevention of any damage due to static discharge, after that, it was just a case of mounting it and plugging in the ribbon connector.

If the machine were an older one like the ES one in my lounge, you would need to use an oscilloscope to calibrate the focus/RF etc which is way out of my remit.

What's the model of the player? I'll look it up and see if it is a simple procedure. If it isn't, we can nag Serge, I am sure.
Cheers Craig

It's a Resolution Audio Opus 21. The laser is this one https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DSL-710A-DSL710A-New-Replacement-Laser-Brand-New/152941239748?hash=item239c021dc4:g:61kAAOSwofxUdEdP  and the loader is this one https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Brand-New-Original-DSL-710A-Transport-DVD-Driver-with-6-Months-Warranty/391989090073?hash=item5b445ed719:g:4i4AAOSwdjdaL0CE But I still need to whip the lid off and make sure all the numbers tally.

Rick - looks like you'd be able to buy the entire drive for about £60.00.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1PCS-Brand-New-Original-DSL-710A-Transport-DVD-Driver-6-Months-Warranty/152921484820?hash=item239ad4ae14:g:pw4AAOSwZrhaaoJr

It's just a standard IDE drive from looking at that image, I'd be damn tempted to try plugging one into it and testing it if that is the case - if you open the transport box, does it have the same connections or have they altered it?
Not had the chance yet mate. I'll get around to it over the next day or 2 though.

Reactions: craigmclellan

craigmclellan

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 17, 2011
Boston, Lincolnshire
AKA
Craig
I'm confident it won't be a difficult to fix it. Would wager it'd take half the time the QS Sony machine took and that wasn't difficult, especially if you change the drive.

G

71MYziOfvDL._SL1500_.jpg

81MVsqT2kPL._SL1500_.jpg

I'm sure you will manage it with your usual finesse Rick  :rofl:

General Factotum

Just the basic facts
Wammer
Mar 7, 2016
Lancashire
AKA
You can call me Al
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
    A laser and DIY tools, what could possibly go wrong?

Last edited by a moderator:

batteredhaggis

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 29, 2013
East Sussex
AKA
Jamie
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Ah - Gert Fröbe. He can make a canary sing! I shall assign him to Lid Opening duties forthhence.

(This is, like, actually a word: I have had it put in the OED. The Operational Edukational Direktive).

Edit: WTF is that fork doing there? I didn't put it there.

garden-digging-fork-burgon-and-ball-gardenista.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Haha
Reactions: bandit pilot

eddie-baby

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 28, 2009
Pembrokehsire
AKA
Eddie
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
That is a real shame Rick, a laser replacement seems reasonable enough though, 'If' it can be done easily enough. Let us know how you get on with it, Id be interested to know myself as I've got one of these players. At least you can still use it as a standalone DAC for the moment with that input, if you're into that streaming nonsense.

Playing those punters dirty discs has done that I reckon and 'that Irish shit' :D

• Haha
Reactions: Bazzer

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online