Wammer
Wammer
Oct 6, 2013
Dover - Kent
AKA
Ade
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Okay, this thread will probably fall flat on it's face and die a natural death, so apologies in advance if you start sweating just reading the controversial topic of exercise as I'm sure high energy workouts is not high on the agenda of most Hi-Fi fanatics...

But I have recently been diagnosed as carrying too much vascular fat, the bad stuff that sits around the middle and covers vital organs. :RIP:

Although I realise I'm a bit chunky, I wouldn't state I'm massively overweight but I have been told to lose some of this nasty fat to prolong good health.

Here's the rub, how?

I normally rise at 5 - 5.30am daily to travel long distances most days for work. I return normally around 6pm. I sometimes work 6 days a week and what with studying for other courses some evenings, preparation for work and normal household duties etc this leaves little time or desire to do much. I find I need at least 6-7 hours sleep a night to feel on top of things too.

I know I need to, but has anyone else overcome these hurdles and what did you use for that needed get up and go? Was there a system you used?

Diet is mostly good, a few sweet treats along the way but zero sugar in addition. Lactose and wheat free. Alcohol consumption is now easily under 20 units a week. No kids to ruin a routine...

Help, advice, encouragement or general p**s taking appreciated.

J Macquarrie

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 28, 2015
Hertfordshire
AKA
Jamie
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
You don't have to do loads to start, little things like walking where you can instead of driving, taking the stairs not lifts/elevators, and maybe get out for a walk or run or bike a couple of times a week even if only for half an hour.

I'm seriously out of shape after the last few months and am dreading the next time I manage to get away mountain climbing 

Reactions: audio_PHIL_e

StingRay

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Apr 27, 2016
Suffolk coast, UK
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Not in that position but yes there is quite a lot you can do, such as walking up the stairs instead of taking the lift. I hardly use the car now for local journeys, I use a bike but I don't think that will shift much fat. As I've got older I have begun to put on a bit of weight. I find playing sport helps. Cutting out certain foods (snacks) will help, cut out puddings, cakes etc. You could consider reducing carbs, such as bread, rice, pasta etc. Take it easy to start with, brisk walking or jog/walk.

parcelmonkey

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 6, 2013
Dover - Kent
AKA
Ade
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
You don't have to do loads to start, little things like walking where you can instead of driving, taking the stairs not lifts/elevators, and maybe get out for a walk or run or bike a couple of times a week even if only for half an hour.

I'm seriously out of shape after the last few months and am dreading the next time I manage to get away mountain climbing 
I've tried and have no issues with little changes but unfortunately they aren't enough to shift the stubborn fat. The issue is finding the time and incentive to create the good habit of consistency. I walk wherever I can and use stairs etc but my job involves standing or sitting teaching candidates about safe operating practices. Not a lot of movement during the day is required!

Check out HIIT (High Intensive Interval Training).....this can be done so it doesn't take up much time.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/3nvRZxYFPxHCCvxGwmDt0cC/is-there-a-short-cut-to-getting-fit
I have tried it and understand its benefits. What I hope to understand is what system others have used to come home, get the joggers on and sweat it out for 15 mins... I can honestly find a million other things to do instead of this! :rofl:

I have researched loads, what I need is inspiration.

parcelmonkey

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 6, 2013
Dover - Kent
AKA
Ade
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Cutting out certain foods (snacks) will help, cut out puddings, cakes etc. You could consider reducing carbs, such as bread, rice, pasta etc. Take it easy to start with, brisk walking or jog/walk.
A normal days food as an example.

Breakfast - Banana and possibly a handful of bluberries and a cup of green match tea or dandelion tea with 1/2 teaspoon of Manuka honey

Mid morning - No food or snacks and one cup of black coffee no sugar

Lunch - Very small plastic pot of shop bought Hummus, a chicken thigh, small bowl of around 15 spicy olives, small pot of Cottage cheese, an apple and a satsuma. Water or nettle tea, black coffee if I feel the need.

Mid afternoon - No food, possibly a handful of walnuts or almonds. Drinks the same as lunch. Lots of water.

Tea - Lots of green veg, brocolli, spinach etc and normally some type of meat or fish. Small portion of rice or mashed potato with small nub of butter. Drinks will be a glass of wine sometimes, red and copious amounts of chamomile tea.

I rarely and I mean rarely eat bread, never pasta.

I do eat a couple of handfuls of yoghurt peanuts for a bit of a sweet taste most evenings tbh. Sometimes a cake but I have mostly cut these out.

parcelmonkey

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 6, 2013
Dover - Kent
AKA
Ade
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
My advice is to find a training partner.
It's great advice, tried paying one once, a gym trainer and got ripped off unfortunately paid in cash; half the sessions in and he did a runner with the cash. As he was fitter, I never caught up with him. I know it sounds funny, it wasn't meant that way, I hate losing money! :grrr:

No friends nearby who are interested...

Tried joining an assault course type of fitness group on Sundays, lovely bunch but I felt so embarrased as the girls were stronger than me, lost my shoes on the monkey rope climb and I'm meant to be a bloody monkey FFS...

Honestly you can't make this stuff up. I'm a disaster when it comes to trying to get fit!

StingRay

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Apr 27, 2016
Suffolk coast, UK
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
A normal days food as an example.

Breakfast - Banana and possibly a handful of bluberries and a cup of green match tea or dandelion tea with 1/2 teaspoon of Manuka honey

Mid morning - No food or snacks and one cup of black coffee no sugar

Lunch - Very small plastic pot of shop bought Hummus, a chicken thigh, small bowl of around 15 spicy olives, small pot of Cottage cheese, an apple and a satsuma. Water or nettle tea, black coffee if I feel the need.

Mid afternoon - No food, possibly a handful of walnuts or almonds. Drinks the same as lunch. Lots of water.

Tea - Lots of green veg, brocolli, spinach etc and normally some type of meat or fish. Small portion of rice or mashed potato with small nub of butter. Drinks will be a glass of wine sometimes, red and copious amounts of chamomile tea.

I rarely and I mean rarely eat bread, never pasta.

I do eat a couple of handfuls of yoghurt peanuts for a bit of a sweet taste most evenings tbh. Sometimes a cake but I have mostly cut these out.
Diet looks fine. Think you need to get your metabolism up.

CnoEvil

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Aug 7, 2018
Northern Ireland
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Aim to drink at least 2 Litres of water per day...check out Jason Vale juicing.

Consider Porridge for Breakfast, at least for the Winter.

Your diet looks very good....though I'd cut the Cottage Cheese.

No alcohol.

chrisph

Just me
Wammer Plus
Apr 2, 2010
Near Portsmouth
AKA
Chris
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Diet does not look bad at all although not an expert in this subject and I suspect the three lindt choccies and glass of wine I am in the process of enjoying may not be ideal inputs.

Do you get a decent length of time for lunch where you could fit in some brisk walking or as suggested above a high intensity session?

parcelmonkey

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 6, 2013
Dover - Kent
AKA
Ade
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Do you get a decent length of time for lunch where you could fit in some brisk walking or as suggested above a high intensity session?
Unfortunately not. I'm normally at customer's sites, I have courses normally to build and rarely enjoy more than 10 - 20 minutes feeding time before work commences again.

Von Krolock

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 30, 2012
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I really sympathise with your situation - an early rise, long commute  combined with a late return & further commitments after work are enough to
kill any thoughts of doing anything physical.
Can you make the time to go out for a brisk walk for an hour at least 3 times a week? Walking is very good exercise.
I often feel knackered after work but just make an effort to get out.
Up to about my mid 40s I used to run 2-3 times a week in the evening - I used to love running & now in my early 50s I feel bad about losing fitness
for being too bloody tired in the evening -  there's also annoyance that unavoidable working hours have had too much impact.
Good luck.

Reactions: parcelmonkey

Danielquinn

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 31, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I used to do no exercise and my major hobby was drinking. My life consisted of work then drinking.

In July 2017 I had a basal ganglia bleed and now spend 3 hours a day exercising and physio in the hope one day I will return to my level of mobility.

O the fuckin irony.

chrisph

Just me
Wammer Plus
Apr 2, 2010
Near Portsmouth
AKA
Chris
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Daniel very sorry to hear about your props and hope all the effort brings its reward and gets you mobile asap.

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Finding the time and the motivation are the elephants in the room.

I'm in a similar place. Hours behind the computer. Drink too much in the evenings to try and relax afterwards. Absolute deadly combination.

You can make up reasons why not to, but in the end it's essential to make the time. Diet without exercise will not hit you where you need it to.

I'm now trying to walk a mile a day, regardless of whether I 'have the time' or not. Frankly, if you don't make the time, sooner or later you'll have a lot more time. And not in the best way. I'm still a good three stone over my ideal. My blood pressure is high, but I've got the cholesterol down to sensible levels and the weight is slowly coming down.

First time I walked down the road to the supermarket and walked back, rather than just taking the car, was the massive wakeup call for me. Half a mile round trip (probably less) and I had to keep stopping on the way back to get my breath.

If you don't have one, try and borrow a dog. It's fantastic motivation and having some company makes it a lot easier. A lot of people really appreciate someone to walk their dog on odd days. Anne and I walk a retired guide dog four or five times every week. To me, it's the difference between an extra hour in bed, or knowing I have to get up, shower and get dressed in order to do something.

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I used to do no exercise and my major hobby was drinking. My life consisted of work then drinking.

In July 2017 I had a basal ganglia bleed and now spend 3 hours a day exercising and physio in the hope one day I will return to my level of mobility.

O the fuckin irony.
Daniel, thank you for posting.

Because that is where it can end up. I had the usual doctors' shit for years about my lifestyle. Most of us think we're indestuctible, I did, and then I had the 'possible heart attack' and accompanying angina. That was one of the wakeup calls, the second was realising just how unfit I was, and the third was the one doctor who had the balls to tell me that if I didn't make some changes, I should better make sure I had a good funeral plan in place.

I still undoubtedly drink too much, but I'm cutting it back. One day at a time, as the saying goes.

The walking is the big thing for me. It's actually rather enjoyable. Surprisingly so.

Reactions: chrisph

Danielquinn

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 31, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I wouldn't mind if the exercise I was getting made me superhuman which it would have done 2 year ago . Now my right side is controlled so tenously by my brain it's still weak .

My problem was high blood pressure which could have been controlled(indeed it is now) however I hadn't been the Drs since my mum took me.

Everybody should go to the doctors for a check up every 12 months. 

Ps Apologies for taking over the thread , I hope that deosnt happen any longer. 

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.