Linn Owners

COMPILING A LINN SYSTEM FROM E-BAY

HIGHWAY61

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 13, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
     My HI-FI history normally revolved around a REGA PLANAR 3 TURNTABLE + NAD 3020 AMPLIFIER + various NAD components + BIG Speakers. I always found that NAD products gave the greatest sound compared to price of equipment so they were always my first choice. I had heard plenty of LINN/NAIM stuff but was never a real fan due to (1) The price - they seem to use the "Rolls Royce" theory of sales i.e. Continually tell people they sell the best product in the market, convince them of this theory, and then charge high prices. (2) The products always seemed over complicated and not especially user friendly. (3) LINN after sales has a pretty shoddy reputation (especially if its old equipment).

My listening habits have now changed (mostly streaming from Qobuz + Internet Radio) or FM Radio) so I thought it would be a good time to get a LINN SYSTEM. I set myself the goal of buying all the equipment on eBay and getting the items at "value prices". The two rules were that it had to be in perfect working condition and have no cosmetic issues that could not be easily fixed. Over a six week period i came up with :

(1) A pair of LINN KEILIDH SPEAKERS + KU STONE BASES @ £97 - Had a few surface scratches that polished out and a few coats of water based black wood dye @ £2.00 a tin soon had them looking fine. Also came with about 25 meters of heavy duty bi-wired speaker cable.

(2) LINN LK1 PRE AMPLIFIER @ £65 - the best deal, only because the seller though the "phono stage" was not working properly. This was not going to bother me as the REGA PLANAR 3 had been sold.

(3) LINN LK 28 POWER AMPLIFIER @ £190 - to match (2). Perfect condition.

(4) LINN KUDOS STEREO TUNER @ £118 - from GERMAN eBay. Perfect condition. 

TOTAL SPEND £470. Due to some of the complications at the rear of the LINN boxes I had to buy a few XLR or RC connectors/adaptors, but all these were less than £20.00 so a GRAND TOTAL of UNDER £500 which was great value.

These prices include POSTAGE so its the full spend.

Apart from giving everything a good clean and polish it was all fairly easy. I have had a quick look on the web and when they were new each component sold @ around £1,000, so thats £4,000 then.............up to £10,000 @ todays prices ??

The SOUND (which is what its all about) is very good and no loss of performance as you increase the volume. You can go into a LINN DEALER and put £50,000 on the table and get a wonderful system but I suggest its not x 100 times better than the "value system" I have put together (law of diminishing returns).

I hope this shows, that with a bit of effort, you can still get great LINN sound without spending a fortune.

Paulssurround

Space Explorer
Wammer
Oct 11, 2018
Vancouver
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
You seem like a very smart shopper.

Perhaps  you could get a job buying components for NASA’s Space program, and save the taxpayers billions of dollars?    😉🙏

• Haha
Reactions: RicieB and Derkali

sunbeamgls

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 19, 2011
North Wales
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Cool.  One piece of advice on the LK1 - get the back up battery checked out.  If its old it can leak and trashes the board with its leaky chemicals.  Its an easy replacement, but only before it leaks.

Enjoy.

phino

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 8, 2018
Yorkshire
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Excellent hunting!  The Keilidhs would be the the equivalent of Majik 140 today, so they're £1800 alone.  I don't know where an LK280 would sit, I'm guessing an Akurate 2200 (could be wrong there) which comes in somewhere around £3500.   So, I'd say your guess was pretty conservative!

All that aside, how's it sounding???  Worth the effort I hope...

picknight

Wammer
Nov 1, 2018
Surrey, UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Great to hear I'm not the only eBay hifi addict around (I admit I have a problem!) and congratulations on getting your system together.

Buying Linn (and other high quality) components new can be horrifically expensive but it means that it is extremely well made so buying 2nd hand is less risky. Also, because of Linn's constant upgrading & development, there is LOADS of it on eBay. I love the idea of seeking out what was completely un-affordable back in the day. Having said that, the items I did buy new 20+ years ago (Mimik, LP12, Keilidhs, Audiolab 8000Q & PPA) are still working perfectly and sounding fantastic, so have also turned out to be excellent value.

I'm not familiar with the LK1/LK28 (even before my time!) but the Keilidhs were definitely a bargain. Some say you should un-bolt the mid/bass drivers and turn them 180 degrees (i.e. upside down, not front-to-back that is - ha ha!) as over time gravity causes the voice coil/cone suspension to sag - but I'm sceptical about that.

Enjoy and good luck with any future purchases.

DavidHB

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Oct 9, 2018
Isle of Wight, UK
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
What are you using as a source, besides FM, since you sold your Rega P3? Did I miss something?
HIGHWAY61 speaks of 'streaming'with Qobuz and Internet radio, but does not tell us what streamer is used.

David

Last edited by a moderator:

HIGHWAY61

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 13, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thank you all for the positive comments. At present I am "streaming" via cable from the "audio out" of my PC. Its a mid priced LENOVO model, so nothing special, into the AUX input of the LK1. This is the simple option and I was not sure how good the quality of sound would be. But to my surprise its a really good sound and the quality really surprised me. But any alternatives that anyone can offer would be appreciated. To keep things together what would be the best LINN DS choice for me ? Any advice appreciated, to complement what I have "old and value priced" would be my parameters of course ! I do have some photos of the system but at present the site does not want to download them for some technical reason. When that gets sorted I will put some photos up.

Last edited by a moderator:

HIGHWAY61

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 13, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
..............and in the future I may look to buy a LINN TURNTABLE, but that is going to be a different propitiation as they seem to retain their prices far more than other LINN components. And it would be for nostalgic reasons rather than constant everyday use.

timster

Linnguist
Wammer
Oct 9, 2018
Wiltshire, UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I think your only DS option would be the sneaky or sekrit at the lowest possible price but they don't come up that often. The Majik DS comes in at around £1k (although I see one on eBay for £750).

timster

Linnguist
Wammer
Oct 9, 2018
Wiltshire, UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Just thinking on your current source being your PC. If it's really a basic model, the soundcard isn;t going to be that great. I would suggest using an external one that you can connect via USB that has analogue outs.

I use the Creatve Soundblaster X-Fi HD for that. It processes up to 96/24 streams (well, they say so, actually it does 44.1, 48 and 96 only - so not 88.2) and is very likely to have a better DAC than your lenovo.

Just a though ;)

HIGHWAY61

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 13, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
TIMSTER.............Thank you for both posts. I will look into your advice on both subjects. DS is going to be expensive (in relation to my previous buys) so DAC may be the "value option".

HIGHWAY61

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 13, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I managed to upload a photo onto the site, there is obviously another speaker on the other side of the room ! .............But this site does not seem to want to upload pictures of over 2MB. The photos shows the best deal of them all, a VERY HEAVY (5KG+) THICK GLASS + STAINLESS STEEL HI FI RACK I spotted in a charity shop a few weeks ago. It was really filthy  but no cracks in the glass, and priced @ £5-00. I took it to the till and the nice lady said "its really dirty you can have it half price, £2-50 please". Happy days. Got it home and 20 minutes of hard labour with chrome cleaner and white spirit and it came up as good as new.

timster

Linnguist
Wammer
Oct 9, 2018
Wiltshire, UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
For such a bargain that's a pretty fine system.

There is a "show us your linn system" thread. Repost your pics in there?

Tendaberry

LP12 Scholar
Wammer
Oct 9, 2018
Hamburg
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I managed to upload a photo onto the site, there is obviously another speaker on the other side of the room ! .............But this site does not seem to want to upload pictures of over 2MB. The photos shows the best deal of them all, a VERY HEAVY (5KG+) THICK GLASS + STAINLESS STEEL HI FI RACK I spotted in a charity shop a few weeks ago. It was really filthy  but no cracks in the glass, and priced @ £5-00. I took it to the till and the nice lady said "its really dirty you can have it half price, £2-50 please". Happy days. Got it home and 20 minutes of hard labour with chrome cleaner and white spirit and it came up as good as new.
Since your shopping skills seam to be excellent and you only spent 2,50 on the rack, you may baulk at the additional expenditure of another 5,- for one IKEA 365+ GUNSTIG. But if you cut that one into small pieces and put them under the feet of your Linn gear, you may be surprised by the gain in sound quality. See also Paulssurround's posts on this subject.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online