2020/2021 Football Season

Bazzer

Staff member
Oct 22, 2009
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I worry if you have the new ground that the quality of football at Everton will be just enough to stay up....so as to cover costs ?
Not really thought about that as is's a few years off , I don't even know who is paying for it , Jon ? @lower bullens

lower bullens

NSNO Wammer
Wammer
Jan 20, 2007
Wirral
AKA
Jon
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Not really thought about that as is's a few years off , I don't even know who is paying for it , Jon ? @lower bullens
think it’s a combination of Moshiri putting in some of his own money, loans and sponsorship/naming rights. USM have already paid £30 million for first dibs on the opportunity to bid for naming rights , and obviously there are only a few people who know how deeply Usmanov is involved behind the scenes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Bazzer

Speedracer

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 2, 2014
Ferndown
AKA
Brook
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Shenanigans at Old Trafford have delayed the kick off between Man U & Liverpool, no word on when the game will start but in breaking news Man U have just been awarded a penalty.

:D

garn63

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Mar 3, 2020
www.avfc.co.uk
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Great quiz question this , I never knew it

• First club to win a penalty shootout in the European Cup, 1970 v Borussia Monchengladbach
This is a slow burner...for me anyway. They must of had a good goalie though.   Joe Royle was the man most pleased with the outcome....apparently.   :)

greybeard

Super Wammer
Wammer
Mar 7, 2010
Cornwall
AKA
Colin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Arsenal, for once, never looked in trouble today. Not sure what that says about Newcastle.

Bazzer

Staff member
Oct 22, 2009
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
This is a slow burner...for me anyway. They must of had a good goalie though.   Joe Royle was the man most pleased with the outcome....apparently.   :)
I watched it , Everton had the reserve goalie playing , Andy Rankin as Gordon West was injured . In the next round we played Panathinaikos , it was 1-1 at Goodison , in the away leg I was at school and I asked a school teacher going into the staff room how they got on , he said it was 0-0 and they were out , I didn't understand , I read it in the paper the next day about the away goal rule , I was gutted . Don't know what year that rule was brought in ?

Reactions: garn63

greybeard

Super Wammer
Wammer
Mar 7, 2010
Cornwall
AKA
Colin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I watched it , Everton had the reserve goalie playing , Andy Rankin as Gordon West was injured . In the next round we played Panathinaikos , it was 1-1 at Goodison , in the away leg I was at school and I asked a school teacher going into the staff room how they got on , he said it was 0-0 and they were out , I didn't understand , I read it in the paper the next day about the away goal rule , I was gutted . Don't know what year that rule was brought in ?
I started watching European games in 1969/70, and was there at Highbury the night they won the European Fairs Cup, against Anderlect, winning the second leg 3-0, after losing the first leg 3-1. This was Arsenal first trophy, after 17 barren years. 

(47) 1970 Fairs Cup Final Arsenal 3 Anderlecht 0 - YouTube

The away goals rule was first applied in the UEFA Cup Winners' Cup when Budapest Honvéd beat Dukla Prague in the second round in 1965–66. It was introduced in the Fairs Cup in 1966–67, and in the European Cup in 1967–68 for the first round, 1968–69 for the second round, and 1970–71 for later rounds.

Reactions: garn63 and Bazzer

garn63

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Mar 3, 2020
www.avfc.co.uk
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Inter Milan v Villa UEFA cup 1994.  They were the defending Champions fielding a young Dennis Bergkamp. We played great that night...full house & was surprised that Inter were intimidated. 2-0 Villa on the night. 2-1 on aggregate.    It's been a very long time  :)

lower bullens

NSNO Wammer
Wammer
Jan 20, 2007
Wirral
AKA
Jon
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
What's a European night feel like Baz ? I've certainly forgotten.  Better ask Col  :)
Lyon away was the last I went to , kept in the ground at the end then rounded up by the French police outside in a ridiculous crush . I kept thinking Silva’s got to go and we need Allardyce to keep us up.........

Lyon is a nice place though.

Headcoat

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Feb 15, 2006
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Inter Milan v Villa UEFA cup 1994.  They were the defending Champions fielding a young Dennis Bergkamp. We played great that night...full house & was surprised that Inter were intimidated. 2-0 Villa on the night. 2-1 on aggregate.    It's been a very long time  :)
Aston Villa! 

My memories as a QPR supporter.

1976/77 season. League Cup Semi Final.

0-0 at Loftus Road. Villa fans invaded the pitch at full time. We had season tickets, at the time this included cup tie vouchers.

Replay at Villa Park. 2-2. Far too young to travel back then.

Another replay at Highbury. We had seats right by the Clock End which was full of Villa supporters. I was just 10 years old. Villa won 3-0. Apparently, my brother and myself were in tears all the way home on the Piccadilly Line. 

The Villa fans bouncing up and down throughout the second half still comes up in my nightmares 😎

Years later I actually went to Villa Park. New Years Eve in 1983. Villa won 2-1. Fantastic ground, the Holte End was still all standing back then.

Before my time, but a story often relayed by older QPR fans. 1968, QPR were promoted to the old First Division for the first time with a win at Villa. There were approx. 15,000 QPR fans at Villa Park that day, a fair number on the Holte End.

Enjoy that Quad 306.

Headcoat

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Feb 15, 2006
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Couple of pics of Rangers at Villa in 1968.

940A3425.JPG

940A3424.JPG

• Upvote
Reactions: Bazzer and garn63

garn63

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Mar 3, 2020
www.avfc.co.uk
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
You've had some good years. Still qualify for Europe most seasons. It's a shame that all but the Champions league has been devalued ?  Maybe the Prem is that tight these days, that often miniscule margins or a gaff decides it.  If I dare to think Villa are playing well we will then get stuffed by Brighton or Burnley  :)

myles

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 27, 2008
Plymouth
AKA
Myles
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
You've had some good years. Still qualify for Europe most seasons. It's a shame that all but the Champions league has been devalued ?  Maybe the Prem is that tight these days, that often miniscule margins or a gaff decides it.  If I dare to think Villa are playing well we will then get stuffed by Brighton or Burnley  :)
The cups are worth nothing now, sadly. The top six don't prioritize them because it's a tough ask to compete in Europe, the league AND the cups - the smaller top division clubs don't prioritize them because they want to survive at all costs; a cup win gets forgotten pretty quickly when you get relegated. As for the PL, it's all a bit of a circus now. 

Bazzer

Staff member
Oct 22, 2009
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
My memories as a QPR supporter.
Do you remember the 2002 FA Cup tie vs Vauxhall Motors  :D  , I worked at Vauxhalls and my son played for one of the kids teams , we got free tickets for the tie which was played at Chester City's ground , 0-0 , replay at Loftus road 1-1 , Vauxhalls went through on penalties .

• Haha
Reactions: Headcoat

garn63

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Mar 3, 2020
www.avfc.co.uk
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The cups are worth nothing now, sadly. The top six don't prioritize them because it's a tough ask to compete in Europe, the league AND the cups - the smaller top division clubs don't prioritize them because they want to survive at all costs; a cup win gets forgotten pretty quickly when you get relegated. As for the PL, it's all a bit of a circus now. 
The tide swings one way & then another. Hopefully with all the unrest in the game we will focus on the importance of our own tribes ? We cant all win & from following none league for many yrs can vouch for the loyalty & passion of teams with just 300 supporters. All followers of the game, whichever team, are the same.  I like to think that history is just as important as success & indeed my old memory is of the "buzz" I experienced on a Saturday.    I could of course just be a soft auld romantic   :)    UTV.

Reactions: myles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles