Okki Nokki record cleaning machine issue

Ady

Shoebox Ady. United by a love of music & equipment
Wammer Plus
Oct 13, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've had this machine for 4-5 yrs now and just recently I've noticed that when you attempt to drain the used fluids out of the plastic pipe at the rear I can't get any to come out. This would lead you to think that there is a blockage somewhere inside the machine itself. So has anyone got any experience of taking one of these machines apart or suffered from the same issue?

The machine is still working fine and sucking up the fluids off the record but it's concerning that it won't drain. 

On a separate note has anyone tried different brushes to the supplied horsehair one as they don't last very long before the horsehair starts falling out?

Thanks in advance 

Ady 

Ady

Wammer Plus
Oct 13, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

John (big)

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 3, 2012
West London
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks for that. I have tried tipping the machine around but to no avail. I'll try blowing up the pipe ( good idea  )

I'll definitely have a look at the SRM brush 👍
If when you blow up the pipe/tube it's blocked a suitable cable tie gently used to poke may help. In my much younger days I would for a bet of a few quid blow up and burst  hot water bottles, thankfully I never suffered more than a slapped cheek.   

• Haha
Reactions: Ady

Ady

Wammer Plus
Oct 13, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
@John (big) okay SRM brush ordered 😁

Now to see how good I am at pipe blowing 😂

Ady

Wammer Plus
Oct 13, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Okay, well that seems to have sorted it out. A bit of resistance initially but air is now flowing freely up the pipe into the machine. Might put a bit of clean water into the machine and try to swill some of the gunk out.

Thanks to John ( big ) and Orbscure 👍

Ady

uzzy

Grumpy Old Git
Wammer
Apr 16, 2006
NN38TA Northampton
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hope you get to the bottom of the problem - I see above someone changed to the SRM brush - in my experience I like paint pads with 1000s of mohair bristles to get down in the groove  .. Also when using it you can feel the record try to drag it as it tracks down into the grooves ... 

Tiling logistics used to do a nice one with a foam grip on top (which I have recommended and given the link before) but they do not have it in stock any more - but search out a small paint pad and give it a whirl - I think some others bought what I have and confirmed they loved it too.   As a back up I got a clothes brush with gazillions of goat hair bristles (as used on the Okki, SRM and others) in case I cannot get any more paint pads

bigfool1956

Old Progger
Wammer Plus
Jul 15, 2008
Littlehampton
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Hope you get to the bottom of the problem - I see above someone changed to the SRM brush - in my experience I like paint pads with 1000s of mohair bristles to get down in the groove  .. Also when using it you can feel the record try to drag it as it tracks down into the grooves ... 

Tiling logistics used to do a nice one with a foam grip on top (which I have recommended and given the link before) but they do not have it in stock any more - but search out a small paint pad and give it a whirl - I think some others bought what I have and confirmed they loved it too.   As a back up I got a clothes brush with gazillions of goat hair bristles (as used on the Okki, SRM and others) in case I cannot get any more paint pads
I've stopped using the pads as they were shedding bristles into the grooves, not all of which got vacuumed up. I still have them and use them on any particularly dirty records, but I'm thinking of getting the SRM for regular duties.

greybeard

Super Wammer
Wammer
Mar 7, 2010
Cornwall
AKA
Colin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've stopped using the pads as they were shedding bristles into the grooves, not all of which got vacuumed up. I still have them and use them on any particularly dirty records, but I'm thinking of getting the SRM for regular duties.
I was only thinking the same thing myself. I have a VPI 16.5 and that came with a brush with fine hard plastic bristles, it has worked very well for years, and has yet to shed a bristle.

And before anyone says, they are too hard, compared to paint pads soft bristles. just remember what you play a record with :)  

Ady

Wammer Plus
Oct 13, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks to Uzzy and bigfool1956 for replying. It would appear that I have managed to clear the blockage by blowing hard back up the pipe!

Great point made by greybeard regarding plastic bristles. I've ordered an SRM and will see how I get on with that but would be interested in where to get a plastic bristle brush from. 

Cheers Ady 

Reactions: greybeard

flaxton

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 12, 2009
barry vale of glamor
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have had one for a number of years. I too cannot get any liquid out. I have been turning the machine upside down to get the water out of the top main hole. Difficult as it’s so heavy. Will try poking into the pipe. Thanks for the advice.

bigfool1956

Old Progger
Wammer Plus
Jul 15, 2008
Littlehampton
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
I have popped water into my Project machine in the past, as what's in there dries out. What came out after this rinse was not pleasant :D  

• Upvote
Reactions: Ady

Lurch

Piss-taker & Gobshite Par Excelle'nce
Wammer Plus
Sep 17, 2016
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
When I got my Pro-Ject VCS back in 2016 it came with a wooden handled goats hair brush. I stopped using it after a, month as the wood was soaking up the fluid and growing mould, I changed to a Tonar Wet Goat, plastic handled goats hair brush. 

Screenshot_20210516-210450.png

Reactions: uzzy and Ady

Ady

Wammer Plus
Oct 13, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have had one for a number of years. I too cannot get any liquid out. I have been turning the machine upside down to get the water out of the top main hole. Difficult as it’s so heavy. Will try poking into the pipe. Thanks for the advice.
Hi Flaxton, I followed the advice of John (big ) and blew really hard back up the pipe which cleared the blockage. Good luck. 

Cheers Ady 

bigfool1956

Old Progger
Wammer Plus
Jul 15, 2008
Littlehampton
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
When I got my Pro-Ject VCS back in 2016 it came with a wooden handled goats hair brush. I stopped using it after a, month as the wood was soaking up the fluid and growing mould, I changed to a Tonar Wet Goat, plastic handled goats hair brush. 

BB758D96-EF00-41E8-B335-B19422FD0ACE.jpeg
I have one of these, and they're really good for medium to clean records. I think something like the SRM brush is only required for stubborn records (I have a few).

The current Project brush is plastic handled with really long bristles. These are too soft to properly scrub the record surface, so now I use it to spread the rinse mixture.

Last edited by a moderator:

bigrod

Super Wammer .. Pussy 🐈 lover
Wammer
Mar 12, 2013
D H LAWRENCE TOWN
AKA
Julian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have one of these, and they're really good for medium to clean records. I think something like the SRM brush is only required for stubborn records (I have a few).

The current Project brush is plastic handled with really long bristles. These are too soft to properly scrub the record surface, so now I use it to spread the rinse mixture.
Get an ultrasonic cleaner off spider.. use the ultrasonic first then put the record on your vacuum cleaner .. I’ve cleaned over a thousand LPs since lock down started and the pipe in the project is as clean as a whistle..Virtually nothing on the LP after ultrasonic cleaner is used ...

pristine result every time..

bigfool1956

Old Progger
Wammer Plus
Jul 15, 2008
Littlehampton
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Get an ultrasonic cleaner off spider.. use the ultrasonic first then put the record on your vacuum cleaner .. I’ve cleaned over a thousand LPs since lock down started and the pipe in the project is as clean as a whistle..Virtually nothing on the LP after ultrasonic cleaner is used ...

pristine result every time..
I've used Spider's Velvet Vortex as both Lurch and Non-Smoking man have one. I would like one but workspace (and money) are an issue.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles