New Wammer
Oct 5, 2020
Cheltenham
AKA
Simon
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hello all,

Having moved to a house with a large open plan kitchen/family room, I'm looking to upgrade the 2nd Hi Fi system for better sound quality, but don't want to loose the easy of use of the current setup, otherwise the family won't be happy!

It needs to be a Linn system and I have a much higher spec'd Linn system for my serious listening, this setup needs to be low cost and easy to use.

Currently I have an old Sonos connect with a Bluetooth receiver connected to the line in for connection from the TV. The Sonos is connected directly to an old LK style Majik and a AV5125 amps driving Kabers aktively. 

Most of the time the family control it via an Alex Dot streaming radio and using from Amazon Prime's limited choice with the Sonos. We have Qubuz and an ipad which I use, but my wife and young children usually use voice commands for convenience. 

If I get an Majik dsm/3 it would be a significant improvement on the old Majik which isn't great I'm sure. I can sort Aktive cards easily enough. It would also allow HDMI ARC for the TV and allow a BluRay player with the HDMI switching and Space optimisation. The Majik DSM is acceptable cost wise, I wouldn't be looking to spend much more for this setup.

My question is, how do the Linn integrate with Alexa with UK skills now? Would it allow standby, volume, source and pin recall? If so then we could use this with the Dot connected directly to the DSM line in or via Bluetooth receiver for easy streaming.

Obviously, serious listening would use the Linn app and Qubuz, but we need something voice controlled for the the family for things like the radio and I'd like it through the Linn system rather than the Dot for obvious reasons...

Your thoughts are appreciated. 

Thanks 

Reactions: akamatsu

akamatsu

Michael
Wammer Plus
Oct 9, 2018
Point Roberts, WA, USA (Vancouver)
AKA
Michael
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I can't say much to the voice control aspect, but I can say that I had a recent experience with the Majik DSM/3 and it is a fantastic piece of kit. I did post about it here. I highly recommend it. See my signature for what I usually listen to.

I also owned an old LK Majik-I. But this was a long time ago. But I think the Majik DSM/3 could be more musical than all of the old LK kit that upgraded the Majik-I, like the Kairn, LK100s, etc.

fschmeis

Wammer
Oct 29, 2018
Germany, near FFM
AKA
Frank
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
did you had a look at Roon?

To my experience my wife and their daughter - who never managed to use kinsky - love it and use it without problems …

and by the way: does your „much higher spec‘d Linn system“ include some Komris? They also work very well with Roon (I do so myself :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Komri

New Wammer
Oct 5, 2020
Cheltenham
AKA
Simon
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks for the replies so far. As far as I can tell Roon doesn't have a voice command interface. An alexa, non app based solution is what I'm really after though as the children don't have phones yet and they listen in this room a lot. I'll do a trial of the app though as it might be better than different solutions in different rooms for them. I may develop something with the LPEC interface if not.

The main system consists of prototype speakers that I designed whilst working for Linn many years ago. The Komri was my greatest achievement, Ninkas, Katans and Akurates followed to name some. I'm proud that 20 years on they Komri hasn't been beaten and the 3K arrays are still in production! I'd love to hear Exakt Komris.

I think all the people I knew at Linn have moved on so looking here for info on the newer products I'm not familiar with. 

Reactions: Chris 1970

Tendaberry

LP12 Scholar
Wammer
Oct 9, 2018
Hamburg
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Well, the new Majik DSM/4 is a nice piece of kit with plenty of useful features: WiFi connection to the network, bluetooth streaming, Spotify Connect, Airplay, HDMI Arc and 4Ksupport, USB input and it even has a very decent phono input. 

Btw, the Komris are still the best speakers I've heard. I have regular access to a pair with Klimax crossovers and 8 Solos  :D

Komri

New Wammer
Oct 5, 2020
Cheltenham
AKA
Simon
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Does the Majik DSM/4 automatically come out of standby if Bluetooth paired with Alexa? That would be very helpful.  Downside is no aktive cards support so I couldn't use it with the Kabers without another amp or changing the speakers.

Komris with solos is very special, it was the reference setup when I was at Linn, but out of my price range to buy unfortunately.

fschmeis

Wammer
Oct 29, 2018
Germany, near FFM
AKA
Frank
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'd love to hear Exakt Komris.
feel free if to contact me once you are in Germany in the area around Frankfurt

As far as I can tell Roon doesn't have a voice command interface. An alexa, non app based solution is what I'm really after though as the children don't have phones yet and they listen in this room a lot.
I bought an additional iPad and all members of the family like to use it as an user friendly control point

Komri

New Wammer
Oct 5, 2020
Cheltenham
AKA
Simon
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
feel free if to contact me once you are in Germany in the area around Frankfurt
Thank you very much, very kind.

Yes I think another ipad is a simple solution. If I find time I'll possibly write an Alexa skill for it, doesn't look too hard using a home automation hub as a gateway. 

Reactions: MickC and silkie

Chris 1970

Love colors in music
Wammer Plus
Aug 16, 2021
France
AKA
Christophe
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
he main system consists of prototype speakers that I designed whilst working for Linn many years ago. The Komri was my greatest achievement, Ninkas, Katans and Akurates followed to name some. I'm proud that 20 years on they Komri hasn't been beaten and the 3K arrays are still in production! I'd love to hear Exakt Komris.
Simon,

Congrats for the design of the Komri !

If you come to Paris, and want to talk about engineering and music, tell me  :)

Reactions: akamatsu

PaulH

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 16, 2005
Shropshire
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Linn used to work with Alexa.
However, they changed things a while ago and now they no longer work with Alexa.
Seems a bonkers decision by Linn to be honest.

Elad Repooc

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 23, 2020
Pacific Northwest
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Linn used to work with Alexa.
However, they changed things a while ago and now they no longer work with Alexa.
I was under the impression that this happened, but then someone recently corrected me and said that Alexa was working fine with their Linn equipment. I also stumbled across this page: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07H59QD82/?ref-suffix=ss_copy

And on the docs site it mentions being able to use Selekt DSM and Series 3 as Bluetooth speakers with Alexa: https://docs.linn.co.uk/wiki/index.php/FAQs#Can_I_control_the_Linn_DS.2FDSM_using_Alexa

Are you sure that this no longer works?

uk030

DSM guy
Wammer
Oct 9, 2018
Berlin, Germany
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Well - the thing with "bluetooth speakers" is very lame.

And it seems that the support has been limited to the UK only...

Jail4CEOs2

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Dec 2, 2018
Taiwan
AKA
LG G2 65 OLED
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
I don't know this exactly, and am only replying to urge you, and anyone else using these, to throw any spy devices you've wasted money on directly into the e-waste bin, but I do remember some people wrote their own Alexa skills. If the evil monopolists have stopped this option, use it as another reason to break the Amazon habit. A walk up and down a local high street is another gentle prod in this direction.

• Haha
Reactions: uk030 and brantome

brantome

Wammer
Oct 18, 2018
You might want to consider the use of a fire tv cube or recent fire tv stick directly into an HDMI input on an MDSM/4 as I do and play Amazon Music HD at resolutions up to 24/192, with the visual feed for artwork, lyrics etc thru to a TV. That can be voice controlled via its remote or from another Echo. You will need at least the 9.99 pm (7.99 for Prime customers) Amazon music individual plan for that - I use the £149 p.a. family plan which allows up to six streams distributed over my and other family members’ accounts which works out at just over £2 per head per month.

While the UK Linn Alexa skill is still there, offering control of power, playback, volume, inputs  and pins, I seldom if ever use it as I rely on my harmony hub for those functions across all my kit. Instead of a harmony hub, you might also consider other Alexa controlled IR blasters like Broadlink to voice control the kit in a similar manner but at a much lower price.

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/Linn-Products-Ltd-Smart-Home/dp/B07H59QD82

brantome

Wammer
Oct 18, 2018
I don't know this exactly, and am only replying to urge you, and anyone else using these, to throw any spy devices you've wasted money on directly into the e-waste bin, but I do remember some people wrote their own Alexa skills. If the evil monopolists have stopped this option, use it as another reason to break the Amazon habit. A walk up and down a local high street is another gentle prod in this direction.
No doubt wearing a tin foil hat while strolling up the high street. Spy devices indeed 😂😂😂

brantome

Wammer
Oct 18, 2018
Does the Majik DSM/4 automatically come out of standby if Bluetooth paired with Alexa? That would be very helpful.  Downside is no aktive cards support so I couldn't use it with the Kabers without another amp or changing the speakers.

Komris with solos is very special, it was the reference setup when I was at Linn, but out of my price range to buy unfortunately.
I’d not use Bluetooth but connect the Echo (Alexa is the cloud service btw, the hardware are Echos  :)  ) directly into the amp using an RCA lead. Using the Linn skill, you could ask Alexa to turn on the amp and then play music. Or consider a fire tv cube/ stick as I mention elsewhere for HiRes playback.

Komri

New Wammer
Oct 5, 2020
Cheltenham
AKA
Simon
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Yes I agree, it's a great way of playing music when multitasking with cooking etc.

I've now got a Majik DSM/3 and spend yesterday getting it sorted. A lot of problems with HDMI compatability, BluRay player not outputting PCM when configured to so no sound. 

Overall, very pleased with it. I have had to keep the Sonos in the system for Alexa music playback as both wired and Bluetooth put all the audio over that link, not just the music, so unworkable unfortunately. I wish Linn would make the DSM an Alexa speaker in the same way Sonos do.....

Komri

New Wammer
Oct 5, 2020
Cheltenham
AKA
Simon
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
You might want to consider the use of a fire tv cube or recent fire tv stick directly into an HDMI input on an MDSM/4 as I do and play Amazon Music HD at resolutions up to 24/192
With this could I have a Dot for control, announcements etc and music through the Fire TV? This could be the best way forward, I'll look into the Alexa commands.

I'm happy with using an app for serious listening so 24/192 less relevant, but do want something that plays radio and the kids mucosa via voice. 

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles