Linn Owners

Google Ads

Moomintroll

Fictional Character - not to be taken literally
Wammer
May 20, 2014
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Is it just me, or is everyone now being hit with Google pop up ads on this forum?

’troll

Paulssurround

Space Explorer
Wammer
Oct 11, 2018
Vancouver
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
My whole system is Apple, and I am starting to see ads as well

I don’t use Google as my search engine

Last edited by a moderator:

Dasher

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 7, 2019
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Too much of a coincidence for it not to be - but it is seriously annoying.

Coalboy68

Life in the fast Linn
Wammer
Dec 30, 2020
NE England
AKA
Nigel
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Yes tres annoying hovering at the bottom of the screen a bit like trying to swat flies from💩

Camverton

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2009
Herefordshire
AKA
Malcolm
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Yes, extremely annoying, although there is no reason the owners should run the forum as a charity for distressed audio buffs! Back in the day I used to pay subs to help avoid being blasted with ads but stopped when the forum was (temporarily) closed down. One would hope that those currently paying subs are being spared the pop ups.

Billz

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Oct 11, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
My whole system is Apple, and I am starting to see ads as well

I don’t use Google as my search engine
No Google Paul? I didn't realise there was anything else out there that was any good.

'Dad, whats the capital of Iceland?'

'Just Bing it son'. Said no one ever :)

Baba Yaga

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 12, 2019
Baba Yaga‘s hut
AKA
BY
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Yes, annoying. More advertising than anything else. As this forum doesn‘t add too much value nowadays anyway I‘m out of here.

Take care, everyone!

Paulssurround

Space Explorer
Wammer
Oct 11, 2018
Vancouver
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
No Google Paul? I didn't realise there was anything else out there that was any good.

'Dad, whats the capital of Iceland?'

'Just Bing it son'. Said no one ever :)
I use the search engine “Duck Duck Go”

No pop up ads, and they don’t track you.

Search results seem to be even better than Google. Google filters the results, so you don’t see a lot of content that may of interest  to you

Amormusic

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 27, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I use the search engine “Duck Duck Go”

No pop up ads, and they don’t track you.

Search results seem to be even better than Google. Google filters the results, so you don’t see a lot of content that may of interest  to you
This. Me too.

Reactions: Paulssurround

Amormusic

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 27, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
This. Me too.
Google sucks with all their advertising. I browse on my phone. Also be very careful with updates to apps and rejecting stupid requests for data. Many of them want to track every aspect of everything you do. I always review and mostly reject these.

Dasher

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 7, 2019
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
It isn'tt the Google footer that annoys me-  as I agree, it isn't a charity. It is the great big banner header to some game thing that I was surprised at. At first I thought that it was malware of some form as it just fills the screen (well, my screen anyway).

Camverton

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2009
Herefordshire
AKA
Malcolm
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
It isn'tt the Google footer that annoys me-  as I agree, it isn't a charity. It is the great big banner header to some game thing that I was surprised at. At first I thought that it was malware of some form as it just fills the screen (well, my screen anyway).
Agreed, a certain amount of advertising is OK and necessary to fund this place. It’s how intrusive it is that winds people up. It’s a pity this thread isn’t in the car park, because if it was I could state what I said when that “darned” pop up came up for the umpteenth time!

Hopefully admin will have a think about this; if the traffic goes down they won’t be of much interest to the advertisers and as we’ve discovered in the past when people leave not many of them return.

Best regards to the owners and I don’t blame you for trying to up the income, but please bear in mind there is no shortage of hifi forums.

Andyt916

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 27, 2020
Hertfordshire, UK
AKA
Andrew
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
May or may not be related to this
I too noticed this, and I too (rightly or wrongly) made the same connection when ads started popping up.

Clearly, hosting and managing a web forum does not come for free, and if no charge is made then income has to be generated from somewhere. However, even with this understanding I am sure that I'm not alone in finding intrusive web pop-up adverts one of the (albeit first world problems) most irritating day-to-day distractions. We on this forum are, however, a relatively small number. So even if the option were available for a small subscription charge to eliminate ads I'd doubt that we have sufficient scale of, say, Spotify or ITV, to make it a small enough charge and still cover costs.

I'm afraid I've seen it before on other fora, where numbers dwindle (for whatever reason) and it then just quietly disappears. I do hope not, as I very much value the interaction that we have on here!

George 47

Subjectivist
Staff member
Jan 1, 2006
United Kingdom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Chaps before we start too many conspiracy theories the new owner Roo is trying to sort out the complex and very messy software. Basically, it is a real mess. There is no secret plan to bombard you with Google ads. It will be fixed. There is a long list of issues that should have been addressed but were not. I am afraid it will need patience until resolved.

And then we can charge Linnies extra.... :D :D (that was  a jokelet)

Dasher

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 7, 2019
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Chaps before we start too many conspiracy theories the new owner Roo is trying to sort out the complex and very messy software. Basically, it is a real mess. There is no secret plan to bombard you with Google ads. It will be fixed. There is a long list of issues that should have been addressed but were not. I am afraid it will need patience until resolved.
I agree with you - you could lock this one as far as I'm concerned.

• Upvote
Reactions: Moomintroll

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles