I wish I had this bloke's hi-fi budget...

joolz

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 18, 2017
Maidstone
AKA
Julian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The owner makes some valid points, but just not in budget for all but a few of us (not me).

Besides, i like the pick and chose approach.

Reactions: Snoopdog

simon g

Senior Wammer
Wammer Plus
Sep 11, 2006
Lincolnshire Coast
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Now that is an expensive system; a quick tot up makes it around £320k?

The value judgement is not for us to make. I'd certainly love to hear it. And that Esoteric drawer action..mmmmmm, as Homer would comment.

Interesting that he's a source first kind of a guy. That approach did get a bit silly in the past (multi thousand pound TTs in to Linn Kans, etc), but there is much to commend it, as I've been rediscovering of late. Balance is everything though.

lindsayt

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 19, 2009
Huddersfield, , Unit
The bloke in that video is a comedian.

Talks about the importance of vibration and has his non-suspended turntable on a floor mounted stand next to his stack of bass bins / sub woofers.

How about getting his TT as far away from all speakers as possible?

And what's with the sub woofers behind him? Integration?

And he says that sub-woofers are the best value for money upgrade you can have? Surely that depends on what speakers you've got already? Some of us like buying / making speakers with proper sized woofers already built in.

He also talks nonsense about the CD player being the most important item. Digital sources sound so similar - in my experience - that it's not worth agonising over which one to buy. Not when compared to speakers or analogue sources.

His speakers have 2 x 10" woofers in a bass reflex. They're not going to be the last word in bass quality.

His room is too empty and echoey. The echoes are quite apparent at the 13 minute mark in the video.

There is a lot of scope for getting a better sounding system than his whilst spending about 2% of what he's spent.

DomT

Food and coffee and rock n roll
Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
....me too to spend on a house!  As others have said the room does not look like it's been treated and at his budget it should have been first thing on his list.  The room actually looks depressing to be in but each to their own. And a rug to tie it all together....man!

TIU

Artist and daft as a brush
Wammer Plus
Dec 17, 2005
Birmingham
AKA
Gary
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
He sold all his wall art and all his other furniture to buy that system. He lives in that room 24/7. He cannot even afford long trousers. :D

At 13:38 he scratches his balls.

Last edited by a moderator:

Southeastern

The '59 Sound
Wammer
Nov 26, 2019
South East
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The bloke in that video is a comedian.

Talks about the importance of vibration and has his non-suspended turntable on a floor mounted stand next to his stack of bass bins / sub woofers.

How about getting his TT as far away from all speakers as possible?

And what's with the sub woofers behind him? Integration?

And he says that sub-woofers are the best value for money upgrade you can have? Surely that depends on what speakers you've got already? Some of us like buying / making speakers with proper sized woofers already built in.

He also talks nonsense about the CD player being the most important item. Digital sources sound so similar - in my experience - that it's not worth agonising over which one to buy. Not when compared to speakers or analogue sources.

His speakers have 2 x 10" woofers in a bass reflex. They're not going to be the last word in bass quality.

His room is too empty and echoey. The echoes are quite apparent at the 13 minute mark in the video.

There is a lot of scope for getting a better sounding system than his whilst spending about 2% of what he's spent.
Its easy to criticise and mock others, but unless you've put yourself out there to provide content for the hobby and interest, then you just sound like a numpty imo.

Wheres your video? I'd love to see your room!

TIU

Artist and daft as a brush
Wammer Plus
Dec 17, 2005
Birmingham
AKA
Gary
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Do you have a rrrrooom? A rrroooom? That's what I said.

savvypaul

NVA Hi-Fi
HiFi Trade
Jan 11, 2017
Durham Uk
nvahifi.co.uk
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
I remember at the end of the Generation Game on a Saturday night on BBC one, there used to be a sort of 'travelator' of household goods that would be shown to the 'winner' and whatever items they could remember and recite, they got to keep. Teasmaid! Cuddly toy!! Anthea Redfern!!!

Was the OP a game where the guy was shown a load of hifi marketing brochures and then got to keep pieces of kit from any of the manufacturers whose 'blah blah' he could recite word for word?

• Upvote
Reactions: Bokke and lindsayt

wino2020

Have to try this!
Wammer
Jan 18, 2014
Dundee
AKA
Peter
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I’m sure we could justify one of the larger rooms at the Wam show if he wanted to exhibit?

lindsayt

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 19, 2009
Huddersfield, , Unit
Its easy to criticise and mock others, but unless you've put yourself out there to provide content for the hobby and interest, then you just sound like a numpty imo.

Wheres your video? I'd love to see your room!
What's with the ad hominem?

Do you have anything to say about the points I actually made in my previous post, such as using distance to isolate turntables, and twin 10" woofers in a bass reflex not being the last word in bass quality?

I exhibited 3 times at Scalford. The only reason I've not exhibited in the most recent years is because I can't justify the cost of staying overnight in the hotel.

I have been reasonably active in the UK bake-off scene over various forums over the years.

I have no problem in pitting certain components or whole systems against others. Sometimes I lose bake-offs. Sometimes I've won. It all depends what I've brought and what I've been up against.

I have also visited Terry's home - the guy doing the interviewing in that video - with a couple of hi-fi components. And spent a very pleasant couple of hours listening to his system, including a convincing demo of his DSP in his room and system.

My current long term plans are to knock up some DIY speakers for about £1500 in component costs - and assuming they turn out OK to get them out on the road to various bake-offs and events such as Owston. My DIY'd speakers will have - in my opinion - the ingredients for being better sounding than those TAD's. Bigger bass cone area. No reflex port. Higher efficiency. Whether the ingredients come together OK or not remains to be heard...

Last edited by a moderator:

wino2020

Have to try this!
Wammer
Jan 18, 2014
Dundee
AKA
Peter
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I heard TAD amps with their compact speaker at a dealer demo a couple of years back. Struck me as beautifully finished and engineered. The sound didn’t quite cut it for me. Perhaps too dry to be truly involving though of course the shop layout would have influenced that. But the system cost was well over £40k so I did expect more. I imagine that their ultra-high end system is quite different in keeping with the difference in scale of the amps and speakers.

There’s no doubt that the guy likes what he has achieved with his system and he has served his “buy second hand” apprenticeship. He’s as entitled to his view as much as the rest of us.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles