WAM Census 2021 Results - Time listening, your HiFi Journey and the average Wammer...

lostwin

Tinker Bod
Wammer Plus
Nov 26, 2018
Folkestone, Kent
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
For the final part of the Census results we consider how you interact with your HiFi, both in respect of how much you are able listen to it and where you consider yourself to be on your ‘HiFi Journey’.  We can also take a little peek at what makes up the typical Wammer…!

The first question was “On average, how many hours a week do you listen to your HiFi? We had a 100% response rate of 215.

Hours.PNG

Overall a pretty even split, particularly between 5 hours and 25 hours, or roughly 1 to 4 hours per day. It would be interesting to know if the impact of COVID and the higher proportion of people working from home is still having an impact?

The final question aimed to end on a more light hearted note, yet still touched on some deep seated audio neurosis, I like to think.  It provided a range of response phrases to the question “Right now, where would you say you were on your HiFi journey?”.  214 out of 215 respondents gave an answer;

hifi journey.PNG

Generally, we seem to be a fairly settled bunch, with 59% either at their end game or happy where they are. 28% are on an upgrade path but most are taking it steady.

5% are simplifying their systems but aiming to maintain quality and just over 1% reckon they are going to pack it all in. As for the 4% box swappers, well you know who you are and I bet you are having loads of fun!

So that pretty much wraps up the results of the 2021 WAM Census. Thank you again for all those who took the time to complete the questions online and also to those engaging in lively debate on the various Results threads – from my perspective, it has made it all the effort worthwhile.

Whilst the results have in the main been more affirmative in nature as opposed to delivering any great surprises, perhaps that was always going to be the nature of the beast for anyone who spends time on the forum. I do like to think it has achieved a couple of things;

- By capturing 215 voices and systems, we generated a meaningful set of statistics both from regular posters  -and less so - on the forum – the results of which can form a credible basis for future discussion

- We have also created a ‘line in the sand’, captured some key points in this hobby in late 2021 that we can return to – perhaps in future surveys – to compare and contrast developments in both the kit we use and the people using it.

Finally, as is the tradition I believe in running a census, we can formulate the profile the average Wammer in 2021;

-          He (and it is most definitely a ‘he’!) is 58 years old

-          He has 3 sources he uses regularly, a turntable, CD player and streamer and he settles down to listen to them for 15.25 hours per week

-          He is finding he is using his streamer more regularly than the other sources but reckons nothing can beat his turntable for sound quality

-          He is aware of the advances in technology on amplifiers and active speakers but is sticking with his Class A/AB amp and passive speakers for now

Sound familiar…..?  

tkimages

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 14, 2006
St Helens
AKA
Tillman
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Well, that's not me - I'm not Mr Average 😄

I am a 'he' but I'm the wrong side of 70.  I do have the 3 sources you listed, but I'm not sure that I manage 15.25 hrs a week.  I do use my 'streamer' and HDD more often, but it does beat my TT.

I am aware of the advances in technology but I've moved on from class A/B and passive speakers to active.

• Upvote
Reactions: Tony_J

Tony_J

Gone fishin'
Staff member
Mar 4, 2013
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Finally, as is the tradition I believe in running a census, we can formulate the profile the average Wammer in 2021;

-          He (and it is most definitely a ‘he’!) is 58 years old

-          He has 3 sources he uses regularly, a turntable, CD player and streamer and he settles down to listen to them for 15.25 hours per week

-          He is finding he is using his streamer more regularly than the other sources but reckons nothing can beat his turntable for sound quality

-          He is aware of the advances in technology on amplifiers and active speakers but is sticking with his Class A/AB amp and passive speakers for now

Sound familiar…..?  
I must be an outlier then, because none of the above match! ~10 years out on age, only one source (streamer), no turntable so my streamer beats my (nonexistent) turntable, system(s) based on new tech (class D active/DSP). Do I win a prize...?  :whistle:

pmcuk

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 12, 2015
Kensington, London
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Not me at all....

- I only use valve equipment which is strictly class A, never Class A-B. 

- I never use a turntable or a CD player, and I don't have any dedicated streaming software or hardware

- Since I have no turntable I have no view about whether it could be better than digital sources

- I don't agree that active speakers are necessarily better

- All my source material is on my computer, and includes music in iTunes, Freeview TV, internet sources like Youtube, songwriting software like Garageband and various other stuff a computer handles. I switch on a daily basis between all these, and a lot of the time it's news broadcasts from Al Jazeera and Euronews. I never sit in a chair between my speakers except when I'm testing amplifiers I build. Music is just ambient in the room as I work on other things. Probably most of the music I listen to is playlists in iTunes which I put on to fall asleep to every night. Plus I'm a professionally trained musician, and a lot of the music is actually in my head especially the songs I work on which I go over in my head. 

Looks like I'm not the only one that doesn't fit your average Wammer!

• Upvote
Reactions: uzzy and Tony_J

StingRay

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Apr 27, 2016
Suffolk coast, UK
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Not me at all, age is 5 years out, I have 2 sources but only really use one, a streamer into AB class active speakers.

No turntable.

Playing time probably about right, in summer it’s less and winter more. 

An investing survey. I think active speakers should be included in the amplifier section. 

chris_bates1974

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 29, 2016
Near Lutterworth
AKA
Chris
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Not quite me - for once I am on the young side. As I'm sure my user name would suggest.

I also haven't owned a CD player for a few years now, and my amp is Class D - I do prefer the turntable to the streamer though, and of course, listen to the streamer more.

As I work from home, in my hifi room, I am very much at the upper end of the hours spent listening. I would say probably an average of 6 hours per day over the whole week.

Thanks to @lostwin for doing this, it's been a nice wee diversion...

• Upvote
Reactions: Tony_J and lostwin

ziggy

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 11, 2017
Cardiff
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Fits me in part. Age is four years out, listening time about right since I have been retired.  Have two sources but only stream now as I find it the superior source and don't have a CD player.  Amplification is AB.

lostwin

Tinker Bod
Wammer Plus
Nov 26, 2018
Folkestone, Kent
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Why are people who don't fit the average persona saying well that's not me?  
No-one wants to be called average - i.e. unexceptional - I guess.  Of course, that is not why I created the average Wammer - no-one is likely to fit it exactly, it's a statistical creation, just like the family with 2.4 children. 

Reactions: DomT and JANDL100

DomT

Food and coffee and rock n roll
Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
No-one wants to be called average - i.e. unexceptional - I guess.  Of course, that is not why I created the average Wammer - no-one is likely to fit it exactly, it's a statistical creation, just like the family with 2.4 children. 
But its the average of amazing and exceptional people isn't it? At least that's how I read it. 

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online