Wammer
Wammer
Oct 8, 2009
Adelaide. Oztrayliya
AKA
Steve
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I am having my 70s LP12 upgraded with a Valhalla plus a service/setup.

I have a Hadcock GH228 unipivot fitted and am thinking about which cart to fit, I have a older Shure V15 type III with a new Black Diamond stylus (possibly buy a JICO SAS later) or a more modern Ortofon Quintet Bronze.

I like the sound of both carts and was thinking the Shure would be closer to the era of the TT/arm. 

As a beside, the one not fitted will find its way onto a DD Luxman PD264 with Acos Lustre GST-1.

Any comments?

Reactions: akamatsu

sktn77a

Audio Dinosaur
Wammer
Nov 11, 2014
NC, USA
AKA
Keith
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Opinions on cartridges are like belly buttons - everybody has one!  Most importantly is how it sounds to you.  Either cartridge will work on either arm but the Ortofon is probably better suited to the damped Hadcock while the V15 is probably better in the Acos.

Nestor Turton

Nestor Turton
Wammer
Jan 30, 2019
Nowhere in Particular
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I am having my 70s LP12 upgraded with a Valhalla plus a service/setup

I have a Hadcock GH228 unipivot fitted and am thinking about which cart to fit ... 

Any comments?
I remember hearing LP12 with one of George Hadcock's superb unipivot arm and Decca London cartridge - it was an age ago, but the sound was superb. I have only heard a Shure V15 with a SME arm and thought that was very musical too - probably preferred the Decca. 

Dasher

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 7, 2019
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I had a GH228 many years ago and fitted that out with a Nagaoka MP11 - primarily because that was the limit of my budget. I was always happy with it and found it sounded fantastic for money. You could therefore try a more modern equivalent such as the MP110 - it won't break the bank. Setting up the GH228 and keeping it that way was a different matter! (I still have a soft spot for the GH228 though).

I do use a Shure V15iii today on an SME 3009ii (improved). It is of course a well matched pairing as they were in effect made for each other. Just how well the V15 plays with a GH228 I have no idea but the compliance and mass matching of that particular SME presents a very narrow window. I can comment on the JICO range. I had a new-old-stock Shure elliptical for the V15iii and I changed it for a JICO HE (not the SAS) and it is fantastic - it was less than £100 direct from Japan and I cant recommend it highly enough.

akamatsu

Michael
Wammer Plus
Oct 9, 2018
Point Roberts, WA, USA (Vancouver)
AKA
Michael
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The Valhalla was the first upgrade I made to my 1975 LP12 soon after I acquired it in about 1991. It was a fantastic improvement. I distinctly remember putting on Tears for Fears, "Seeds of Love" and the track "Woman in Chains." It left such an impression that I ended up using that track as a first listen to subsequent upgrades. I think you are in for some musical fun.

As for cartridges, I wouldn't fret too much over it. An Audio Technica AT95 or Nagaoka MP110 would be where I would look first. No need to spend much money.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: maddog_007

Trunkmonkey

Wammer
Sep 10, 2018
If your system would benefit a lean, fast and zippy sound then the VM95E is great. Not much bass but very musical. If your setup needs something fuller and warmer sounding then the Linn Adikt is even more tuneful and engaging but does cost quite a bit more. Personally, I find the Adikt needs a more dynamic deck with at least Ekos/Lingo to sound well balanced (it's a touch slow and sleepy with Valhalla/Ittok) but your system may be different.

Last edited:
Reactions: kryno and akamatsu

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles