Wammer
Wammer Plus
May 21, 2009
Gran Canaria, Spain
AKA
Richard Dale
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I had been wanting to improve the acoustic treatment for my back room small system for a while. There is a local supplier who can ship acoustic panels for free in 2 days, as opposed to taking 2-3 weeks and costing 50% after shipping and import taxes. They only have a limited selection, but I thought it would be worth having a look and I'm glad I did.

I've been using Vicoustic DC2 Multifusers for a while and I really rate them. They are skyline 2d diffusers. I found another sort of Vicoustic diffuser in the local shop - B00541Black Trap Fusers. They are 1d with vertical bars. I also got 9 Vicoustic Mega Fuser acoustic foam bass traps.

Here are the panels and traps installed:
IMG_20220305_143347.jpg

I've got a couple of panels on the side walls at the first reflection points. Then in the corners there are the bass traps, with a couple more in the rear corners at ceiling level.

I've got the two sorts of Vicoustic diffusers on the front wall behind the speakers. At the top left is a skyline DC2, and the other ones are the new 1d ones.

The Tandy LX5s have an usual ribbon tweeter that is omnidirectional and so the is a lot of treble output aimed at the rear walls and so diffusers would be more useful than normal.

The sound improvement of the various treatments is really substantial with a lot of extra resolution and focus. You really need to hear what diffusers can do by listening yourself, but I really feel this is a kind of showcase example them for not much money - the Vicoustic panels work out at about 60 euros each.

MotherSky

The stone that killed two birds
Wammer
Jun 5, 2010
Shropshire
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Which panels have you found for 60 euros? Obviously not the skyline ones - I have had great success with the "leanfuser" DIY panels, but I'm always happy to take the lazy option if the price is right...

rdale

Wammer
Wammer Plus
May 21, 2009
Gran Canaria, Spain
AKA
Richard Dale
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Which panels have you found for 60 euros? Obviously not the skyline ones - I have had great success with the "leanfuser" DIY panels, but I'm always happy to take the lazy option if the price is right...
Actually I’m wrong about the price - I paid 378 euros for 12 of the Trap Fusers which you pair to form six 60cm x 60cm panels. You can join the two halves together in different ways to get different profiles - I’ve got them one round for way for the stack of two on the right hand side and round the other way for the one on the wall on the left.

The Thomann price is 399 euros here:
https://www.thomann.de/es/vicoustic...aeMXueEe_QeOUBSmOBCkcJJ9xMGSGYkBoCcrQQAvD_BwE

MotherSky

Wammer
Jun 5, 2010
Shropshire
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Actually I’m wrong about the price - I paid 378 euros for 12 of the Trap Fusers which you pair to form six 60cm x 60cm panels. You can join the two halves together in different ways to get different profiles - I’ve got them one round for way for the stack of two on the right hand side and round the other way for the one on the wall on the left.

The Thomann price is 399 euros here:
[URL]https://www.thomann.de/es/vico...aeMXueEe_QeOUBSmOBCkcJJ9xMGSGYkBoCcrQQAvD_BwE[/URL]
thanks for your reply - I do already have GIK panels at first reflection points etc which were similarly priced - I shall probably just go ahead with another set of the Leanfusers (highly recommended btw) - I quite fancy making a skyline as well, but I haven't come across a pattern for one as yet

rdale

Wammer
Wammer Plus
May 21, 2009
Gran Canaria, Spain
AKA
Richard Dale
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
thanks for your reply - I do already have GIK panels at first reflection points etc which were similarly priced - I shall probably just go ahead with another set of the Leanfusers (highly recommended btw) - I quite fancy making a skyline as well, but I haven't come across a pattern for one as yet
I’ve just been looking at the gallery of Leanfusers here:

http://arqen.com/sound-diffusers/gallery/
They look really attractive in wood. I think the vertical elements of the diffusers are larger than the Vicoustic and so I assume they are effective at a lower frequency range.

MotherSky

Wammer
Jun 5, 2010
Shropshire
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
https://gearspace.com/board/studio-...-optimized-diy-diffuser-designs-fractals.html
lots of information here - they are scalable, and until I manage to acquire or borrow a suitable microphone, I'm working by ear, but I am certainly targeting lower frequencies - I had some very unpleasant room issues following the removal of my CD collection (all moved to NAS) - the shelving had apparently been acting as a surprisingly effective diffuser - the Leanfuser panels do a far better job, but I have only done one side of the room so far - I'm using a bookcase on the other side at the moment, but another panel is next on my list. I can't overstate how effective these are, and they are very easy to make - also much more attractive than standard studio stuff - MH

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles