Linn Owners

testing the new generation Klimax DSM/3

LEFHFW160

Wammer
Mar 9, 2022
Washington
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
If you send it to ******************.com, Amyr should be willing to test it and publish the results.
@akamatsu Thank you for the suggestion, but I think that train left the station. Here's why: Amir was very interested in testing it and he wanted me to send my KDSM/3 to his home AND I invited Amir to come to my home to test it but he refused because he didn't want to risk damaging HIS $40,000 testing equipment. He said he'd be "trading his risk for mine" so I am NOT going to send a $40,000 piece of MY equipment to him to keep for a month or 2 weeks or even a day. He admits that there is risk of damage. His house is in fact flooded. But he seems to think that because he has liability insurance I'm protected?... 🤦‍♂️ The unit is ONLY insured by my insurance so long as it resides INSIDE my home and I do not want to take any risks of damage. I was nice enough to Amir to ask Linn to send a unit of theirs to him because I know he is very interested in testing it. And his members are interested too. Linn responded and told me to tell him to ask them directly, which I did. I do not know if they are willing to do it and I certainly am not willing to let Amir take mine out of my home to his home for testing. At one point he could have come to my house and I would have let him test it here with my supervision. But because of all the grief I got from him and the angry ASR members who seem to think I should go out and buy separate insurance to cover the damage risk (which BTW cannot be done) I have reconsidered that proposition. Those very angry ASR members think I'm crazy for buying the Klimax DSM/3. They are entitled to their opinion. And, I think they'll just have to wait for Linn to risk their money if they want Amir to test one.

LEFHFW160

Wammer
Mar 9, 2022
Washington
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
@Moomintroll To answer your question about my interest, I'd first have to provide you the complete history of private communications that I have had which would give you the context but I don't think it's appropriate to discuss that on this forum. I've listened to the NGKDSM/3 side by side with the Selekt DSM. It sounds great!! Plus I've discussed this with an expert who is a much better listener than me and whom I trust. When you look at the engineering of this unit and the attention to detail and the pride with which Linn builds its products, it's hard to believe that it won't set a new standard in specs. It's akin to buying a Porsche and then reading Car and Driver's testing of that car AFTER you bought what you know is a quality product. We still read Car and Driver and even if they didn't like it, the buyer of the car knows he has a top of the line car.

Jail4CEOs2

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Dec 2, 2018
Taiwan
AKA
LG G2 65 OLED
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Specs might help deciding which $200 headphone dongle to buy, but in the rarefied air of $40000 streamers they're almost a distraction. Distortion and whatever else Amir measures will be recorded, and then someone will bleat that the $79 gadgeteroo has better specs, so must sound better.

LEFHFW160

Wammer
Mar 9, 2022
Washington
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Specs might help deciding which $200 headphone dongle to buy, but in the rarefied air of $40000 streamers they're almost a distraction. Distortion and whatever else Amir measures will be recorded, and then someone will bleat that the $79 gadgeteroo has better specs, so must sound better.
@Jail4CEOs2 Amir should sign up for this site as a member. :ROFLMAO: Then people can discuss freely with him their views about his measurements. I don't think that on this site he will be able to call up his minions to abuse and cyberbully those who respectfully disagree with him. And he won't be able to cancel or ban people for no legitimate reason.

LEFHFW160

Wammer
Mar 9, 2022
Washington
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
In the past Linn didn’t care about figures and measurement (at least they didn‘t use them for marketing). Good old days
@Ben Webster I'm waiting for my equipment to be installed by my local dealer. We have 2 of the three things: Wilson Sasha DAW's and the Linn Klimax DSM/3. We're waiting for the amp: D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV. I've been waiting since December !!! I'm told the Amp was shipped Monday so should arrive today or next week!!!

Kenilworth

Wammer
Oct 8, 2018
@Ben Webster I'm waiting for my equipment to be installed by my local dealer. We have 2 of the three things: Wilson Sasha DAW's and the Linn Klimax DSM/3. We're waiting for the amp: D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV. I've been waiting since December !!! I'm told the Amp was shipped Monday so should arrive today or next week!!!
And Transparent cables?

LEFHFW160

Wammer
Mar 9, 2022
Washington
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
In the past Linn didn’t care about figures and measurement (at least they didn‘t use them for marketing). Good old days
I'll be surprised if Linn loans a Klimax DSM/3 to Amir for testing. He said on his web site that he asked them. I don't know what happened though.

LEFHFW160

Wammer
Mar 9, 2022
Washington
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
And Transparent cables?
No, I can't accept Transparent's cable claims (and Transparent refuses to measure or publish its 3 essential electric parameters and will not say what's in its networks) . That said, I do believe in knowing the inductance, capacitance and resistance of a speaker cable. Parallel capacitance should be less than 2700 picoFarads and series Inductance should be less than 2 microHenries for the given run so as not to encroach upon 20khz audible range. See article on Wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speaker_wire So, I bought a pair of Kimber Kables 12TC. Cost was reasonable and they publish their specs on that cable.

Reactions: akamatsu

akamatsu

Michael
Wammer Plus
Oct 9, 2018
Point Roberts, WA, USA (Vancouver)
AKA
Michael
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I think the only real test would be for you to listen once all is assembled, and let us know your impressions. :)

P.S. I'm a day trip away from Seattle, so if you need help testing........ ;)

LEFHFW160

Wammer
Mar 9, 2022
Washington
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
@Kenilworth I hope my decision proves correct !!! I did ask D'Agostino about the speaker cables and they didn't seem to think any speaker cable made a difference. Interestingly, a Transparent power cord comes with the D'Agostino amp !!! I do have a 20 ft long run between source and amp and I'm using a pair of Madrigal balanced cables (I think it has some sort of helical configuration???) that I bought like 30 years ago. It runs under the crawl space and I don't want to hire someone to go and run a newer set of cables. It should be OK. My current gear is getting replaced. I have a pair of B&W 802 D2's and a 30 year old Mark Levinson 23.5 amp.

LEFHFW160

Wammer
Mar 9, 2022
Washington
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I think the only real test would be for you to listen once all is assembled, and let us know your impressions. :)

P.S. I'm a day trip away from Seattle, so if you need help testing........ ;)
@akamatsu hey...sure !!!......I saw that you live in Point Roberts. I live in Gig Harbor. How do you go from where you live to say Seattle or south of it ? Ferry ? It looks like on the map that if you don't go by water, you have to cross the US/Canadian border? Is that correct ?

Reactions: akamatsu

akamatsu

Michael
Wammer Plus
Oct 9, 2018
Point Roberts, WA, USA (Vancouver)
AKA
Michael
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
@akamatsu hey...sure !!!......I saw that you live in Point Roberts. I live in Gig Harbor. How do you go from where you live to say Seattle or south of it ? Ferry ? It looks like on the map that if you don't go by water, you have to cross the US/Canadian border? Is that correct ?
Of course I was halfway joking as I wouldn't really invite myself to one's house. But hey, why not? I'm about 2.5 hours from Seattle driving through Canada. I'm also retired so time is not a problem, except on the master clock. Of course, if you'd like to hear the likes of my system, you are welcome here.

Cheers,
Michael

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles