Next Generation Klimax DSM with HDMI

Sound Hound

Wammer
Jan 17, 2019
AKA
Not Actually Canine
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
@Nopiano well, technically it IS being installed by dealer, but he said he would not be setting up SO unless I insist on it and it would cost $/hr extra but ONLY if I insist on SO.
Hmm... I know Wilson has a method for siting their speakers in the best position for the room, and tuning for the very best position is of course beneficial, however, all rooms have bass modes and S.O. will mitigate these modes to the benefit of the sound, and so to say SO setup will cost extra when it should be included in the purchase price should give pause for concern. When you're paying top dollar for Linn kit you definitely want full value for your money. Space optimisation is much more than a gimmick - at least this is my experience.

• Upvote
Reactions: Paulssurround

LEFHFW160

Wammer
Mar 9, 2022
Washington
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
No, Linn’s is a simpler label along the lines of’ This product must be installed by an authorised dealer’. It certainly isn’t a condition of the warranty, as that applies from the date of manufacture and is transferable, unlike many.

It is possible it only gets attached to UK supplied items, because Linn don’t want boxes shipped out like a mail order product. That way, customers get a working product installed to their satisfaction in their home. As they jolly well should at the asking prices, and given the dealer margin! I was simply trying to suggest I’d not paying out any extra for SO to be set up if I’d spent getting on for $100k as you must have. (I’m not that familiar with Sashas to know which model is which, aside from the DAW being the latest). However, if carefully set up you might not need it, but it’s hard to predict in your room size. As I’ve only heard Dan’s amps and Dave’s/Daryl’s speakers in a sizeable hotel conference room, that’s the scale I imagine them working in!
@Nopiano @Sound Hound I just got off phone with dealer: he said the SO is basically a digital EQ for 100 hz and below and he said that with proper placement of the Wilson Sasha DAW's, these Wilsons should mitigate any issue arising from room peculiarities, BUT he did say that we shall see and if necessary, we can do it, but it is an hourly fee. My room is not square but it's almost square. It's an unusual shape. It actually has 6 walls !!! And ceiling is like 14 feet high. One wall is almost all glass window to the outside and another wall is composed of french doors with glass and wood and glass and wood also above the doors. The room, though is sound engineered. I had a sound engineer pro come decades ago and he recommended 1" of fiberglass sound absorbing substrate on all walls and 2" on the ceiling which we did and I had another company come in and cover all the substrate with fabric so you do not see any drywall in the room. Floor needed he said only a rug (we have wood flooring) so that's what we're dealing with. When you walk into the room, you notice a change in sound characteristics somewhat similar to an anechoic chamber but nowhere near as severe.

Kenilworth

Wammer
Oct 8, 2018
You are buying something like $120K worth of gear from this dealer, and the dealer insists on an hourly fee to set up SO if it turns out that SO is needed. Wow!

By the way, Sasha WP2 is listed as having been measured. The bass response of the Sasha DAW may be similar enough to use WP2’s measurements for SO.

LEFHFW160

Wammer
Mar 9, 2022
Washington
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
You are buying something like $120K worth of gear from this dealer, and the dealer insists on an hourly fee to set up SO if it turns out that SO is needed. Wow!

By the way, Sasha WP2 is listed as having been measured. The bass response of the Sasha DAW may be similar enough to use WP2’s measurements for SO.
@Kenilworth I wish I didn’t have to pay an hourly fee for SO, but……🤷‍♂️ Maybe I won’t need it ?

LEFHFW160

Wammer
Mar 9, 2022
Washington
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
If I have a problem, it comes. I then cook something and give out a coffee. Why not, I visit him too.
@HollyJohnsen @DB1328 @Kenilworth @Sound Hound @Nopiano Well, all I can say is this: I live about 50 miles from the dealer and I live in a small town. The dealer store is in a town where Bill Gates, Microsoft executives, Amazon executives, Jeff Bezos, Starbucks executives and Howard Schultz all live. The dealer sells systems to people with very deep pockets and I’m just a small potato. The dealer is the only game in town if you want to buy D’Agostino and Wilson and I cannot confirm it but I’m told that the Dealer is the largest seller of Linn products both within the USA and perhaps also internationally. The system I bought is expensive, yes, but compared to many other systems the dealer installs every day in that area, I’m not very important in terms of sales. Nevertheless, the dealer has been extremely helpful and nice and is working with me to provide the best system for me. I am not going to argue with him if he tells me that their policy is to charge an hourly fee to do SO. I have bought many things from this dealer over the past 3 decades and I personally would rate my dealer 5 stars out of 5 stars although the dealer does cost more. My dealer has extensive knowledge about audio and video and has served me well over the many years.

Last edited:
Reactions: Highfly

HollyJohnsen

Wammer
Dec 20, 2021
Germany, Waldeck
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've been thinking about it. I'm not a big customer either. I have only bought 2 devices new, otherwise I buy used from the dealer. Isn't it normal for the dealer to do the installation? My dealer Achterholt gets 7 out of 5 stars.

Paulssurround

Space Explorer
Wammer
Oct 11, 2018
Vancouver
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
@HollyJohnsen @DB1328 @Kenilworth @Sound Hound @Nopiano Well, all I can say is this: I live about 50 miles from the dealer and I live in a small town. The dealer store is in a town where Bill Gates, Microsoft executives, Amazon executives, Jeff Bezos, Starbucks executives and Howard Schultz all live. The dealer sells systems to people with very deep pockets and I’m just a small potato. The dealer is the only game in town if you want to buy D’Agostino and Wilson and I cannot confirm it but I’m told that the Dealer is the largest seller of Linn products both within the USA and perhaps also internationally. The system I bought is expensive, yes, but compared to many other systems the dealer installs every day in that area, I’m not very important in terms of sales. Nevertheless, the dealer has been extremely helpful and nice and is working with me to provide the best system for me. I am not going to argue with him if he tells me that their policy is to charge an hourly fee to do SO. I have bought many things from this dealer over the past 3 decades and I personally would rate my dealer 5 stars out of 5 stars although the dealer does cost more. My dealer has extensive knowledge about audio and video and has served me well over the many years.
I live in Vancouver BC and have done many Space Optimisation setups for both my Linn dealers.

I have also done more than 110 SO setups for Linn owners in Europe (England, Scotland, Ireland, Wales, Germany, Sweden, Denmark, Austria, Spain, Netherlands) in Canada and America (Seattle, Texas, Michigan and Montana)

I would be happy to visit your home next time I drive down to Seattle and do Space Optimisation for your system for free.

I don’t charge anything for my time.

The great thing about SO is that if you don’t like the results, you can turn it off, and if you love it, you will be a very happy guy

LEFHFW160

Wammer
Mar 9, 2022
Washington
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've been thinking about it. I'm not a big customer either. I have only bought 2 devices new, otherwise I buy used from the dealer. Isn't it normal for the dealer to do the installation? My dealer Achterholt gets 7 out of 5 stars.
@HollyJohnsen Dealer spent like 1 and 1/2 days of installation of my gear (3 different people) and we're not done; however, SO was not done. See above. I give my dealer a SUPERIOR rating !!! 10 out of 10 stars.

LEFHFW160

Wammer
Mar 9, 2022
Washington
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I live in Vancouver BC and have done many Space Optimisation setups for both my Linn dealers.

I have also done more than 110 SO setups for Linn owners in Europe (England, Scotland, Ireland, Wales, Germany, Sweden, Denmark, Austria, Spain, Netherlands) in Canada and America (Seattle, Texas, Michigan and Montana)

I would be happy to visit your home next time I drive down to Seattle and do Space Optimisation for your system for free.

I don’t charge anything for my time.

The great thing about SO is that if you don’t like the results, you can turn it off, and if you love it, you will be a very happy guy
@Paulssurround Thank you !!! I might take you up on that offer. Currently, there's a fair bit of installation going on so I'm not exactly ready for SO yet. But yes, in the months to come, perhaps we can do it ? Do you travel around the globe doing SO? Wow...110 setups !!! that's amazing....

• Upvote

Paulssurround

Space Explorer
Wammer
Oct 11, 2018
Vancouver
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
@Paulssurround Thank you !!! I might take you up on that offer. Currently, there's a fair bit of installation going on so I'm not exactly ready for SO yet. But yes, in the months to come, perhaps we can do it ? Do you travel around the globe doing SO? Wow...110 setups !!! that's amazing....
Exciting times for you with your new Wilson Audio speakers and D’Agostino components and Linn NGKDSM. You will get to rediscover your whole music collection with a new level of realism and enjoyment. The guys at Definitive Audio are top notch, and know Zack, Ron and Paul.

Thank you for your invitation. Looking forward to meeting you at some point

Yes, I have travelled to 110 different Linn owners homes in 12 countries, and it has been an amazing experience, meeting so many wonderful Linn owners

In the last 2 years, because of Covid travel restrictions, I have not been able to travel. However, I have been doing Space Optimisation v2, by video chat for more than a dozen people, spending at least 1-2 hours helping people through the process.

However, the best results are achievEd when doing SO in person.

LEFHFW160

Wammer
Mar 9, 2022
Washington
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
@Nopiano Well, before I send pics, there’s a sad but happy ending story: my dealer unpacked and installed the Wilson Sasha DAW’s and then unpacked and setup my D’Agostino Momentum S250 MxV, and finally he unpacked the NGKDSM. Ok so far. Well, I have like 12 glass shelves on the left side of the room on a built in mahogany cabinet (two columns of shelves) and in the right column, the shelves are supported by metal pins each with two contact points on each glass shelf‘s left side but on the right side of each glass shelf the pins are much closer together because the cabinet on the right column is designed to be like 2/3 or almost 1/2 the width for it’s right side. But the pins are designed to swivel and prevent tipping…..or so we thought. On the shelf where the Klimax was going I had a 33 lb CLASSE CT-SSP Pre/Pro which he removed and packed up for sale. The dealer was worried about the NGKDSM going on the same shelf on the right column but the Klimax is only 3 lb more. The left column of shelves has 4 pins, 2 on each side EQUALLY spaced apart so tipping was not likely on the left column BUT we couldn’t put it on the left because the balanced cables that ran under the house to the amp wouldn’t reach. So the plan was to gently place it on the shelf where the CT-SSP went. Then as he slowly put it on the shelf and let go, in less than a second the entire glass shelf collapsed (the metal pins snapped due to metal fatigue) and the glass shelf ALONG WITH THE NGKDSM fell 4 feet into a crash of shattered 3/8” tempered glass and the cabinet was damaged too. Glass everywhere and the NGKDSM3 was damaged. We plugged the Klimax in and it seemed to work, but I didn’t want a Klimax with a broken corner and chipped glass screen even if it was only a minor damage externally and we didn’t know what happened inside of it !!! My dealer said this had never happened to him in 23 years and he called the company manager: they said not to worry because they are going to replace the Klimax with a brand new one and they are going to repair the cabinet with cabinet repair people and they will repair the glass shelves too. My dealer’s liability insurance company covered my dealer and I notified my homeowners insurance as a backup just in case.

But, the next day my dealer drove to my home with a brand new Klimax!!! Fantastic !!! We put it on the bottom of the wood shelf but it’s in an awkward very low location and I removed all the glass shelves above it because I did not want ANYTHING to fall on it. The second Klimax had a serial number just one more than the last one !!! It’s beautiful but it needs a nicer location.

So now we’re rethinking what we are going to do: thinking about putting two shelf side by side rack with the amp and Klimax side by side in the front inserted into bottom shelf of rack so the top shelf protects both of them and putting the rack in front between the two speakers. We’ll have to run 35 feet of HDMI cables (I’m told they will be optical HDMI) as well as ethernet and optical Ethernet from cabinet area on left to under the crawl space and up to the front but that should be easy. They will install a conduit for it all. But for now, it’s sitting on the floor of the cabinet on the left with an ugly gouged out piece of cabinet wood in front of it but all the glass shelves above it removed. So it’s not a pretty sight nor is it photogenic. However, its sound is unreal. But over the next month or so, we’re going to get it all fixed and changed. The front however looks cool: D’Agostino amp in the middle and my Wilson’s on either side of it. I could send photos of that ?? but I’d rather wait for this issue to be repaired.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.