Wammer
Wammer
Oct 4, 2008
London uk
AKA
Chris
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I am considering ‘dipping my toes’ in Sir Michael Tippett’s symphonies.

Of course, I am careful of picking up bias, but I think there is a large hole in my ‘British Composers’ that needs at least some plastering over if not filling well.

Any opinions on Tippett?

[There are many other areas I could could beneficially explore: Britten, Elgar, Brian, but many have at least a little content.]

JANDL100

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 5, 2006
Forest of Dean, Glos
AKA
Jerry
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I find Tippett symphonies difficult. I keep occasionally trying, but to little avail.

A more interesting obscure British composer for me is Malcolm Arnold. His symphonies are all interesting, the 1st is a total masterpiece imo, just incredible. My favourite recording of it is on Chandos.

Reactions: akamatsu

bohemian

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 4, 2008
London uk
AKA
Chris
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I agree with your view of Arnold - I have the first four symphonies on Naxos (Charity Shop finds).
But no Tippett.

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Another to add to the infrequently mentioned list? Sir Arnold Bax.

I'm afraid I struggle with Tippett as well.

Camverton

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2009
Herefordshire
AKA
Malcolm
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Tippett, wonderful composer once you get into his sound world. For an easy introduction try his Concerto for Double String Orchestra, particularly the sublime slow movement.

In general his music can sound a tad “spiky” but it is full of vitality and colour. His string quartets are magnificent with some exquisite slow movements. Definitely a composer that is worth persevering with; after a while you’ll wonder why he is regarded as “difficult”.

Reactions: Fazioli

JANDL100

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 5, 2006
Forest of Dean, Glos
AKA
Jerry
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Inspired by this thread, I've been trying Tippett again.
String quartets and a symphony or so.
My problem remains, it's not spikiness. It doesn't actually sound especially spikey to me. It just seems structureless and random. And the overall "sound world" doesn't appeal, I don't find it attractive or interesting.
Damn. Must try harder.
It annoys me when I can't get into what others enjoy! I feel I'm missing out.

But yes, the concerto for double string orchestra is nice. I guess I regard Tippett as a one hit wonder!

Fazioli

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Jun 7, 2010
Nottingham
AKA
Andrew
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Of Tippett's works for orchestra I would agree the Concerto for Double String Orchestra is an excellent introduction to his orchestral music. I would also suggest you try: Fantasia Concertante on a theme of Corelli, Divertimento"Sellinger's Round" for Chamber Orchestra, Piano Concerto (1953), Ritual Dances from The Midsummer Marriage and many enjoy his work for choir and orchestra A Child of our Time with its use of spirituals . As for the symphonies, I too find them more problematic and harder to get into than other British symphonic composers, but like many worthwhile things they take repeated listening to absorb and enjoy their style.

bohemian

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 4, 2008
London uk
AKA
Chris
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
@rabski I would agree with there too. I bought the Chandos set of symphonies but again it takes work.

Attachments

• 9F5BD08F-090C-4D8C-A476-C6AA75BC3C86.jpeg
    9F5BD08F-090C-4D8C-A476-C6AA75BC3C86.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 1
Reactions: Fazioli

Fazioli

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Jun 7, 2010
Nottingham
AKA
Andrew
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
@rabski I would agree with there too. I bought the Chandos set of symphonies but again it takes work.
Yes I agree, it's a good set. People may find his tone poems a good introduction to his style with works such as Tintagel, November Woods, Garden of Fand etc. For LP lovers the earlier Chandos series with Bryden Thomson and the Ulster Orchestra is worthwhile as well as the Lyrita recordings with various conductors still available for beer money prices.

musicbox

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 23, 2005
Edinburgh
AKA
Alan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've struggled with his symphonies too, and I'm normally a symphony sort of person..... but I do like his Piano Concerto & Piano Sonatas. And the late work "The Rose Lake" is quite something.

Camverton

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2009
Herefordshire
AKA
Malcolm
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Inspired by this thread, I've been trying Tippett again.
String quartets and a symphony or so.
My problem remains, it's not spikiness. It doesn't actually sound especially spikey to me. It just seems structureless and random. And the overall "sound world" doesn't appeal, I don't find it attractive or interesting.
Damn. Must try harder.
It annoys me when I can't get into what others enjoy! I feel I'm missing out.

But yes, the concerto for double string orchestra is nice. I guess I regard Tippett as a one hit wonder!
Well, if the sound world doesn’t appeal it is difficult to make much headway. Looking back, it is the sound world that has led me into the works of Gubaidulina, Sibelius, Macmillan and many more. On the other hand I’m still not inclined to get to know the music of Richard Strauss, Four Last Songs excepted of course, not to mention the undoubtedly worthy music of Bax.

Fear not, there is structure in his music; it just takes time for it to reveal itself. One hit wonder, Tippett most certainly isn’t!

Last edited:
Reactions: JANDL100

JANDL100

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 5, 2006
Forest of Dean, Glos
AKA
Jerry
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Bax took me most of a lifetime to eventually succeed with. But I got there in the end just a few years ago. I really like his symphonies now, especially 1, 2 & 4. And some of the tone poems are quite magical.

I'll pursue some of the Tippett recommendations here, and see if I can find my way in.
If not, maybe next year!

Last edited:
Reactions: Camverton

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles