Looking for some new speakers, whats about?

peter the butcher

Peter The Butcher
Wammer
Aug 19, 2020
Sleaford
AKA
Peter Allison
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
As the title says, I am looking to demo some new speakers. Budget,4K +/- a few £££, must be not bass shy, as I play a lot of organ music and have a rel S8/12 for really low stuff. Thought of PMC and other TL led designs in that range. The speakers that they are replacing are a pair of Amphion Argon 3LS models. Any thoughts? ( I know it will be down to MY ears at the end of the day)

Reactions: hifinutt

hiesteem

peacebro
Wammer
Feb 6, 2019
AKA
Pete
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
A great speaker that often gets over looked are the Audiovector. They are an interesting design because you can upgrade the crossover and tweeter without changing the speakers.

hifinutt

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 23, 2007
midlands , , United
AKA
phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
mmmm to beat a pair of amphion 3ls is going to take a lot of work good luck in finding something . a pair of tannoy arden legacy would DEFO beat them for organ music . exceptional with organ . even my tannoy eaton legacy made a organ master very happy indeed . [ he plays organ all over the place ]

the legacy range are adjustable . [ as you may know i have recently had the 3s on demo]

https://pinkfishmedia.net/forum/threads/tannoy-legacy-ardens-st100s-gaia-iis.266208/
£4250

Last edited:
Reactions: DomT and antonio66

Warszawa

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Mar 12, 2013
UK
AKA
Joe
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
As I am disabled mobility wise, getting new just means I can get them local, and have them located and wired up
Drop Fanthorpes a line. They might be able to bring a couple of pairs to try next time they're in your area. They have a decent selection in your price range.

tuga

. . .
Wammer
Aug 17, 2007
Oxen's ford, UK
AKA
Ricardo
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
As the title says, I am looking to demo some new speakers. Budget,4K +/- a few £££, must be not bass shy, as I play a lot of organ music and have a rel S8/12 for really low stuff. Thought of PMC and other TL led designs in that range. The speakers that they are replacing are a pair of Amphion Argon 3LS models. Any thoughts? ( I know it will be down to MY ears at the end of the day)
What are you hoping to improve?

What amp are you using?

peter the butcher

Peter The Butcher
Wammer
Aug 19, 2020
Sleaford
AKA
Peter Allison
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
mmmm to beat a pair of amphion 3ls is going to take a lot of work good luck in finding something . a pair of tannoy arden legacy would DEFO beat them for organ music . exceptional with organ . even my tannoy eaton legacy made a organ master very happy indeed . [ he plays organ all over the place ]

the legacy range are adjustable . [ as you may know i have recently had the 3s on demo]

https://pinkfishmedia.net/forum/threads/tannoy-legacy-ardens-st100s-gaia-iis.266208/
£4250

I have been told the 3LS will be hard to beat, and the ist price for them now means probably having to re think the budget

peter the butcher

Peter The Butcher
Wammer
Aug 19, 2020
Sleaford
AKA
Peter Allison
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
mmm lovely monoblocks !! they would go well with the tannoy ardens !! but i would still stick with the superb amphion 3ls ! personally
I must admit they will take some beating, if thats the case, it maybe a case of looking at the bigger brother, the 7LS

jon

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
, ,
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Is it worth looking more at sub setup/positioning (and maybe how to use your Anthem's active crossover/room correction), if you're needing to turn the sub off for some listening and feeling that your speakers don't go low enough? I have the sub in my much more modest systems on for everything from spoken word and acapella singing (with minimal audible deep bass) to grime, and at all volumes. You've got a lovely sub and speakers - and if you're having to turn the sub off for some listening, you might think about how you can tweak the setup before replacing the speakers. Please ignore if you've already tried all of this, though!

Lawrence001

Mega Wammer
Wammer
Jul 21, 2015
London
AKA
Lawrence
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I offered up my Amphion Xenons which are pretty much Argons with 8" woofers on the side, but the logistics are difficult.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online