The Abbot

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 21, 2008
Middle England.
AKA
eh? THE ABBOT.
Chaps,

any Lp12 knowdgeable folks on here? I've recently noticed my Sondek ( valhalla, 89 ish) starting to play Lp's audibly slightly fast. Hmm..

I've done some googling, & much info on adjustments & playing too slowly.. but nothing on drifting 'up' too fast.

Has anyone git any ideas? Does seem strange, I've only ever had TT's do the same approx gradual drift -slow- & a new belt etc.

Thanks, Abbot

Paul55

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 1, 2007
NN
Slowing with age is the usual way. It's hard to see anything other than an obscure Valhalla issue, and it would be obscure since the speed comes from a crystal.

The deck needs looking at in a holistic sense,

But first, as Blzebub suggested, confirm the actual speed. If you have an incandescent lamp around still then you can print a strobe disc from one of many sources, otherwise there are apps for both sorts of phone that will give you a reasonable idea.

bencat

Amplifier Destroyer
Wammer Plus
Feb 6, 2010
Liverpool
AKA
Andrew
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Could i also suggest that you copy this to the Linn Forum as well as many on there have very detailed and specific knowledge about all things Linn.

cre009

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 9, 2015
UK Bristol
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Assuming you are not using the Radikal or Lingo 4 or Mober power supplies which should correct for speed drift.

Is the correct belt being used? A belt that is too thick will run fast.

Has the motor tilt been changed? The motor can be tilted away to slow the speed. See the service manual for guidance about the motor tilt screws.

The Abbot

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 21, 2008
Middle England.
AKA
eh? THE ABBOT.
Assuming you are not using the Radikal or Lingo 4 or Mober power supplies which should correct for speed drift.

Is the correct belt being used? A belt that is too thick will run fast.

Has the motor tilt been changed? The motor can be tilted away to slow the speed. See the service manual for guidance about the motor tilt screws.
Hi cre009,

it must be a correct belt, as for what 8 years since changed to current one, it's been fine.

Ive never touched the motor tilt since I buying the TT in the mid 90's.

Only last few Lp's played I've noticed this getting faster aspect.

Thanks, Abbot

The Abbot

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 21, 2008
Middle England.
AKA
eh? THE ABBOT.
Could i also suggest that you copy this to the Linn Forum as well as many on there have very detailed and specific knowledge about all things Linn.

Hi there bencat,

yes good idea that. I'll register & post on there. I had an hope it might be something like " ah yes, a usual symptom, typically cap X needs replacing" .

Very odd any TT running fast though. Surely 99.9% of speed issues, are linked with a TT slowing.

Appreciate the replies chaps, Abbot.

Blzebub

Thundering bigot
Wammer
Dec 22, 2015
Stamford, Lincs
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi there Belzebub,

yes have done. Inner & outer black & White whatnots ( 50 & 60 hz ? I dont understand hertz ) just blurr. Audio Origami strobe checker.

It even looks to be spinning fast.
Hertz is cycles per second. 50 Hz is appropriate for Middle England.

hiesteem

peacebro
Wammer
Feb 6, 2019
AKA
Pete
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Valhalla electronics, do the zeus self calibrating motor speed controller and sensor, £445. For the linn lp12. Fits on the cross brace, or they put it in it's own external box, as in the Lingo.

lazycat

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Dec 20, 2007
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Regardless of the present problem, the Valhalla could do with a service. In fact, the whole T/T would benefit if not touched for years.

Ex-LP12 owner of 27 yrs.

bigfool1956

Old Progger
Wammer Plus
Jul 15, 2008
Littlehampton
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Something that can make the TT run fast is deposit from the belt onto the motor pulley. Have a look and clean with Isopropyl (or meths) if necessary.

uzzy

Grumpy Old Git
Wammer
Apr 16, 2006
NN38TA Northampton
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Never had this problem using a Project speedbox strobo or Speedbox SE2 (using the original power supply)>
The major advantage of this route was it allows you to fine speed adjust ...
Having said that, as mentioned above I have heard of turntables slowing down and excessive wow and flutter ...
As the speedboxes are no longer made the alternative for me would be the Heed or a Hercules (the advantage of both is providing 45rpm as well.
Not sure if this thread will throw up some answers for you https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/lp12-running-too-fast.952407/

Paul55

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 1, 2007
NN
Hi there Belzebub,

yes have done. Inner & outer black & White whatnots ( 50 & 60 hz ? I dont understand hertz ) just blurr. Audio Origami strobe checker.

It even looks to be spinning fast.
If the AO piece is just the disc then you still need a lamp that flashes at 100Hz, which no modern bulb will. It's 100Hz because the mains goes up as well as down and an old fashioned filament bulb will brighten on each half of the cycle. LEDs and CFLs will cause a blur because they have internal power supplies.

You can get devices like https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/194361117811?hash=item2d40d34c73:g:~Q8AAOSwNxVhP3qG that will illuminate a strobe disc appropriately, (not a recommendation, never tried, but price looks very fair) or you can get an app for a phone that will use the internal gyroscope to measure the rotation. Not 100% accurate but good for ballpark.

AO do service or do complete Valhalla boards. This might be worth doing anyway since the bits of the board run quite warm and the capacitors and resistors do have a life.

Anyway why do you think it is fast?

The Abbot

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 21, 2008
Middle England.
AKA
eh? THE ABBOT.
Something that can make the TT run fast is deposit from the belt onto the motor pulley. Have a look and clean with Isopropyl (or meths) if necessary.
Hi fool,

thanks- good idea & found a fair bit of caked on crud now Isopropy'd off. But no difference.

I've also adjusted both screws, so far one's almost flat in deck/ inner one a good cm proud.. so the motor pulley is at a fair old slant now. But no difference either.

Fwiw Ive counted to a timed minute, & seems "34". Obviously not accurate, but gives a ballpark idea of how out it is. Call it 34 & 1/3 rpm. So not excessive, but enough to be audible, & enough the outer strobe disc pattern is still a total blurr.

The Abbot

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 21, 2008
Middle England.
AKA
eh? THE ABBOT.
If the AO piece is just the disc then you still need a lamp that flashes at 100Hz, which no modern bulb will. It's 100Hz because the mains goes up as well as down and an old fashioned filament bulb will brighten on each half of the cycle. LEDs and CFLs will cause a blur because they have internal power supplies.

You can get devices like https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/194361117811?hash=item2d40d34c73:g:~Q8AAOSwNxVhP3qG that will illuminate a strobe disc appropriately, (not a recommendation, never tried, but price looks very fair) or you can get an app for a phone that will use the internal gyroscope to measure the rotation. Not 100% accurate but good for ballpark.

AO do service or do complete Valhalla boards. This might be worth doing anyway since the bits of the board run quite warm and the capacitors and resistors do have a life.

Anyway why do you think it is fast?
Hi Paul, grateful for your reply too here.

Well I did wonder if my lamp bulb, a known led poised over proceedings, wasn't producing the neccessary whatnots. But i just put the AO disc on my donor RCM tt, under new led bulbs, & it showed the almost- stationary outer pattern you always expect to see.

So it cant be anything to do with led bulbs being wrong for the job. I think is a correct conclusion.

Well it just sounds a fraction fast. Like all the band members are motorheading, just a wee bit. Like all had a small line each. Not like a big thick line of charlie making them go hyper nuts.

Abbot.

Paul55

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 1, 2007
NN
I wonder if a slightly stretched belt tends to climb higher on the pulley and hence the speed rises?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles