Wammer
Feb 20, 2020
Worcester
AKA
Mike Milne
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi

Due to the sale of some Monoblocs I find myself in the position of being able to afford a new 2nd hand DAC. I dont really need or want one that has a pre or headphone amp as have decent bits of kit that cover both of these bases ( Croft and Brokkesphere) although appreciate some come bundled . It will be replacing a Beresford Caimen Seg, latest firmware and PS from Beresford. Ideally I would like to find myself in the cheaper Denafrips, Gustard, Soekristi or RME territory although that might be wishful thinking on my part as I only have £500 plus whatever I get for the Beresford. Item must be a real uplift on the Beresford so really not looking as basic Topings or SMSL type DACS ( no offence intended) and have already worked out the Beresford sounds better than the Audiolab Q DAC and Arcam R Dac with my Crofts . I like an analogue sound and dont really like the bright in your face older digital sound as i find it tiring as i listen for long stretches. I have decent cabling (Audioqueast Coffee/Nordost copies ) and the rest of my equipment is Crofts , Beauhorns , Cambridge CXC transport and a Rasprberry Pi for streaming duties. My main source is my Source TT. What do people have that might fit the bill. I live in Worcester . I have found people on this site very helpful before so want hopefully a range of options to consider.

LeoGooner

New Wammer
Jul 9, 2021
London
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
For that analogue sound you like, the Denafrips Ares II is a beaut, I have one in my Naim/PMC setup. Good luck finding a used one though . . . .

Mand

Wammer
Nov 25, 2016
North east
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
If you can live with only coaxial spdif input and balanced output I can offer a Dac for £240 posted.
It’s American from Digital Amp Co called Dac Dac TL.

hifinutt

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 23, 2007
midlands , , United
AKA
phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
If you look on pfm there is a superb copland 215 valve dac at 1100 i think . That will be beautiful

Thread is in page 3 big summer blowout .if i didnt have a highly modded black ice valve dac i would be after the copland dac

Last edited:

Mike Milne

Wammer
Feb 20, 2020
Worcester
AKA
Mike Milne
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
If you can live with only coaxial spdif input and balanced output I can offer a Dac for £240 posted.
It’s American from Digital Amp Co called Dac Dac TL.
Ah I can’t do balanced and like USB to but thank you.

Mike Milne

Wammer
Feb 20, 2020
Worcester
AKA
Mike Milne
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
If you look on pfm there is a superb copland 215 valve dac at 1100 i think . That will be beautiful

Thread is in page 3 big summer blowout .if i didnt have a highly modded black ice valve dac i would be after the copland dac
Thanks but too much for me to stretch to . I have heard good things about Copeland and my own gear is valve .

Mike Milne

Wammer
Feb 20, 2020
Worcester
AKA
Mike Milne
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
For that analogue sound you like, the Denafrips Ares II is a beaut, I have one in my Naim/PMC setup. Good luck finding a used one though . . . .
Yep that is one def on my list but as you say finding a used one unless a Denafrips owner is upgrading to another Denafrips 🙂

Mike Milne

Wammer
Feb 20, 2020
Worcester
AKA
Mike Milne
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Arcam d33. About £750 Preloved. All the facilities you could ever need, and superb sounding. A bit mega.
Interesting not a DAC or brand I would have thought of as was not impressed with the R DAC but the reviews of this are quite good . Possibly a bit out of my price range though .

Lawrence001

Mega Wammer
Wammer
Jul 21, 2015
London
AKA
Lawrence
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

Mike Milne

Wammer
Feb 20, 2020
Worcester
AKA
Mike Milne
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Bit leftfield but I'm selling this on AoS and I think it will meet your requirements. I had an Mdac and this was much better IMO (as in natural sounding). I can put the old op amps back in to refresh my memory as I found them more "analogue" at the time and report back if I think it's worth considering. You'll save a lot of money if you like it too!

https://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?72867-FS-Raindrop-Hui-DAC-4x-Wolfson-DAC-chips
Ha i like leftfield look at my system it’s not exactly mainstream but I wonder if this would just be a side step ?

Lawrence001

Mega Wammer
Wammer
Jul 21, 2015
London
AKA
Lawrence
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Ha i like leftfield look at my system it’s not exactly mainstream but I wonder if this would just be a side step ?
You'd think so based on price but if you actually look at what's inside there's no reason it can't compete with some high end DACs. I'll stick the original op amps in and give it another listen in the next few days and report back.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles